Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

theshim posted:

Anyone want to suggest a challenge run for PoR/RD/Awakening? I'm feeling the itch.

Change everyones class, roll a d3 to determine what they will be.

Cake Attack posted:

There's also Tiki, if you don't want to be a creep.

Hey if your Avatar also looks young its not that cree- okay yeah it still is.

Nowi why are you so messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

megalodong posted:

I see you forgot one of the lords from 7

I must be the only person that always had Lyn turn out great and literally never had a good Hector. I don't know how Hector managed to suck in all of my attempted runs but he found a way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only consequence of Anna dieing is that the village will most likely get destroyed the turn after she falls. All the village gives you is a psychic staff though. Which, while nice, isn't something you need to worry about missing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

Leaving a character behind? Why don't you suggest he starts killing them off, huh?!

Introduce Boyd to the Black Knight :unsmigghh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

The difficulty of FE comes from keeping all your characters alive, it's a very easy series if you treat it X-com style where they are expendable for the greater good.

It can go both ways though. Its easy if you don't care about some random idiot you weren't gonna use bites the dust, but having your all star unit die to a 1% crit from a reinforcement that just spawned would be infuriating. If you went into the game blind playing that way would probably be harder in the long run since you could easily lose a lot of guys and be forced to use poo poo units.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I got Nino my first thought was "you want me to use a level loving 5 unit here?!?". To me it made no sense that they would hand you such a weak unit so close to the end of the game and expect anyone to actually use it. And it still kind of doesn't. Why waste time raising a weak unit when my army has been working fine up until that point? I spent enough time babying weak units in the early game.

VVV My incentive to use Erk was that I'd been using Erk for the whole game and been doing just fine with him. I'm inclined to stick with a unit just because they have been on my team a long time, even if a statistically better unit comes along late in the game. I just don't like ditching people when I spent so much time on them. That's just me though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 17, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think a better way to gauge unit worth isn't to ask how godlike they become, but rather how much they can suck. Erk might be statistically worse than the other mages but it isn't by a wide margin. He won't be the best but he's probably not going to be awful, so using him is fine. Unless a unit has totally abominable growths then I'm willing to use them. So I could just use Erk and get a decent mage or I could go through the annoyance of babying Nino to get a slightly better one I get to use for a handful of missions rather than a huge chunk of the game.

I'll stick with Erk since I hate protecting weak units.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 17, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Speaking of, to the guy above, letting Miriel die means that you can't get her kid this run, if that bothers you.

Yes, it truly is a tragedy to miss out on the kid so boring I can't even remember him name.

On your first playthrough you're probably not going to recruit most of the kids since you have to grind out supports to get all of them available. Finding them all is something I didn't do until my second playthrough, and I would think that is how it went for most people.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Boneless Jogger posted:

I dunno, after seeing the S rank support between him and Noire I'm not sure I can call him one of the sanest characters. I don't mean this in a bad way though, it was kinda hilarious. :allears:

That's his only good support because he does something other than play the straight man in the most dull manner imaginable. He's the only character I find utterly boring to use. The closest I came to having fun with him was making him into a Berserker so he was a muscle mage :black101:

Zore posted:

Laurent has some pretty great supports honestly. He's also, by far, the sanest and least issue-ridden person in the second generation and comes close for the entire army.

And not everyone does multiple playthroughs. This thread is so, so not representative of the norm for people playing this game.

Being sane doesn't mean you have to be boring though. Frederick is sane, Chrom is sane, but Laurent is just dull.

Also I'd think someone that doesn't do multiple playthroughs isn't the kind of person to obsess over missing out on a single character.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Frederick has ridiculous OCD but I'd say he's pretty sane overall. He still has eccentricities that make him interesting though, which is why I like him even though he usually acts as the calm and collected voice of reason. Laurent is basically always completely serious and organized, so he just comes across as dull.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd have liked more unique parent or sibling conversations, personally. Morgan and Lucina are especially bad about that. Also more for the spotpass characters!

Yeah I get why the sibling conversations were basically all the same but they could of been really interesting. I mean when Morgan is a Manakette you'd expect the dialogue to be pretty different but its more or less the same. Plus Yarne freaking out about being the last member of his species is extra dumb when his sister is standing right next to him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Artificer posted:

Honestly at this point with 90% of my primary team coupled up already while also being quite overleveled for their missions, I wish there was an easier and simpler way of pairing up characters. I want to see all of the supports without having to spend hours with reeking boxes in underleveled areas dammit. I paired a lot of my main team with people that would make sense with each other (Riken - Lissa, for instance) but sometimes I just want to see what happens when I pair Riken with, say, Tharja. I wish there was a way to see the supports for those too.

The grinding DLC is really good for supports since it lets you easily build up supports without messing with levels, assuming the person you're trying to support isn't part of your main team. It is annoying that there isn't really a good way to do it ingame though. The friendship seed thins being more common could of helped. What you really don't have any way to easily see ingame are the unique conversations for parents and their kids in the Future Past DLC, which sucks since a lot of those are really neat.

Also Ricken/Tharja basically goes like this;

:downs: "Hey lets cast magic together!"
:witch: "No, lets cast EVIL magic together!"
:downs: "uhhhh okay!"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tend to horde stat boosters until one of the characters I want to use roles some poo poo levels and starts falling behind. Then I have them chug every stat booster I've found so they hulk out and become useful again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

mabels big day posted:

Anyone else think the new Fire Emblem game looks really "anime"?

Yes, but this series has always been really anime when you get down to it so I'm not surprised.

I wanna know what the deal was with that giant that looked like it got lost on it way over from Dark Souls. Maybe that's the new world ending evil monster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hope they make it so that the hardest part of lunatic isn't surviving the first 5 levels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cake Attack posted:

based on the trailer, which girl or guy do you think you'll marry first, fe thread?

im thinking the dancer

I'll marry the maid and it'll be just like my animes :nyoron:

After I reclass her to general of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I figured out why that giant reminded me of Dark Souls.

Giantdad what are you doing in this game?

Austrian mook posted:

Instead of having the same "too much anime" whining we've all hear a hundred times before let's instead discuss the new release and possible new features and directions for this new game to go to in light of this new footage and brief glimpse we have at the new game.

There's not really much to talk about other than the aesthetic though. I mean, the only potential gameplay element we saw is that pairups might not be a thing anymore. Dual guards/attacks were in the trailer but you can get those in Awakening just by having units stand next to each other.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How can you not like reclassing? It lets you have so much more fun with your army. I can make everyone into generals. I can have a legion of pegasus knights. I can do whatever my heart pleases and force my soldiers to bend to my will. Taking that out would be incredibly lame.

OneDeadman posted:

where's the anime tiny girl that's actually 100 years old.

I mean this is set in glorious fire emblem nippon right???

In a twist, this game will feature an ally that is normally a dragon but fights by turning into a tiny anime girl.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cake Attack posted:

tbf babying units is fun

You have a very strange idea of fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lotish posted:

Why do anime dancers always look so sad?

I'd be pretty sad too if my entire purpose in battle was to shake in front of some soldiers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dark magic is always the coolest magic. Which is why its such a shame that dark mages dress like idiots in Awakening. Hope they change it so they have ridiculously huge robes again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lyn might not be the star of the game but I give her points for always turning out better for me than Eliwood did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I doubt they're going to do the kid thing again but I hope they have missions you don't have to do in a set order. One of the things I like about Awakening is that you can do most of the kid missions whenever you want so you don't have to progress through the game in the exact same way each time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eddain posted:

Fire Emblem needs its very first Priest lord.

Lord is a pacifist that can use staves and nothing else. Does not gain attacks on promotion.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Dark mages having high defense as a class feature but their character models being shirtless is very silly.

I remember I made my first avatar a dark mage because I was expecting her to get a badass set of robes. Really I just wanted to see a model like this in 3D;

I was confused and upset when I got the exact opposite :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Excluding DLC, most characters in Awakening have a bunch of supports. The only ones that don't that I remember are Say'ri, Tiki, and Anna. Anna is the only one I really care about there since more supports involving her would be funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Funky Valentine posted:

Leif's promotion is probably the most spiteful moment in Fire Emblem history.

Why? Does promoting him somehow manage to make him worse?

VVV :psyduck:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 21, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

With 70 characters they still only have one dark magic user and he's poo poo.

I don't get why dark magic was always so hard to get in the past games. In the ones I played before Awakening you usually only got one dark mage and they were usually hidden too. Its like they're taunting you by putting dark mages all over the enemy side and saying "yeah I bet you wish you could use this cool magic more don't you".

Awakening seemed to change that for the better though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr Pepper posted:

Purple Lady is an Axe user.

Nohr supremacy .

Maybe she's the female equivalent of a fighter, in which case I guess that outfit is only fair :v:

Dr Pepper posted:

Both sisters are clerics.

As long as war clerics still exist this is acceptable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brother Entropy posted:

This + them giving actually trying with the main story are the two things I needed to hear most to get excited

They say it will be different from the regular experience but I will be shocked if it doesn't end with your typical "the truth was in the middle!" garbage. As long as it has good character writing like Awakening did I'll still enjoy it though.

fade5 posted:

Same. I like pair up, but getting like +7 to +9 to all your stats by the end of the game just makes it kinda unfair.

Hopefully there will also be some incentive to not have your entire army paired up all the time. In Awakening half the team just ends up latching onto their partner like a lamprey.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
We're all gonna buy both versions anyways which is why Nintendo will get away with this.

We are what we hate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Part of me wonders just how much easier the Hoshido campaign will be, and if as a result I can actually play the game on lunatic without it sucking all the fun out. Or maybe if you pick lunatic they'll just crank up the difficulty a huge amount regardless of it being the "easy" game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Onmi posted:

She's a Wyvern Rider

But it looks like there could be a Female Barbarian, or Fabio Barbarian

Is that a dark mage over on the left? If so RIP cool robes from the GBA games, guess we are stuck with the half naked dark mages from now on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno why men aren't allowed to ride on pegasus. They have the right to be fabulous to dammit.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 2, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Raserys posted:

Then again, "Nohr" is not Roman in the least, which is mildly disappointing.

Is Nohr anything other than gibberish?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TurnipFritter posted:

Is this a better or worse Cavalier design than the one in FEA?

What's wrong with the FEA cavalier? Is it weird to like most of the designs in FEA or something? I thought they were fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tae posted:

Looking back at the first trailer, I still want to know why us (since the dragon is Kamui's ability) chokeslamming Dancer girl into the water.

Well isn't it possible that other people can turn into dragons too?

Even if it is the avatar I approve since dancers are really lame.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really want to know why the avatar is barefoot. Did they take the feet complaints far too literally somehow?

Brother Entropy posted:

I would 100% be down for killing characters in one story that you'd be allies with in the other

I don't even see how it'd be particularly Grimdark

Yeah, I don't think it would be anymore "dark" than Awakening was, which will not as light as some previous installments I would never call it grimdark. This may be because my measure of grimdark is 40K where everyone dieing horribly constantly under stupid circumstance is the norm.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Francis posted:

So, I thought about this too and games like Tactics Ogre (Vyce) and Bravely Default have done this and it always really feels forced and manipulative. You could pull it off with a character or two but not a quarter of the cast.

By grimdark I mean that ending the game with your entire family dead by your hand is closer to one of Japanese gaming's infamous Bad Ends than FE series convention. But it's a Fire Emblem game and killing all opposition and subjugating their countries is what you do. So there has to be some kind of peculiar contrivance that softens the scenario considerably.

I highly doubt you will slaughter your entire family in either story, but I would not be surprised if you chop through random recruits. For many of the plot important characters on the opposing side, they will probably just surrender or something.

Zore posted:

Its entirely possible they just pull the standard thing where you 'kill' them in the chapter, but they retreat or you take them prisoner. Or even pull the bullshit they did in Awakening's paralogues 'Yeah, totally not dead from you stabbing me a billion times/now I am a zombie'

Emmeryn being recruitable as a brain damaged zombie you can marry is the darkest thing in that game, but for all the wrong reasons.

VVV Turning thieves into mage killers? Weird.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 2, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gonna guess whichever side is losing performs some summoning ritual that goes horribly wrong and unleashes the giants upon FE world, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It looks like you could bludgeon someone to death with her hair.