Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Actually before I get to speedrunning I think I'm going to give Radiant Dawn another shot. I haven't played it in, geez, five years and I stopped because I am too much of a wussy baby for normal mode. Or rather, the Dawn Brigade could not handle that chapter near the end of part 1 and I got mercilessly destroyed. I think you have the BK but I didn't wanna use him to solo the chapter...

...Knowing easy=normal, and normal=hard in this game, am I missing anything by just playing it on "easy" this time?

You'll be a big dumb baby, that's what. If you played it last five years ago, you're probably a bit better now and can handle the hard(normal). Also, on normal(easy) a lot of the maps get really uninteresting, like chapter 5 turns from an escape map into defeat boss, which you can accomplish with much less finesse by just luring him out and nuking with Sothe. And also also, with the Ike chapters being as easy as they are even on hard, I can't imagine the lack of challenge on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Iceclaw posted:

e: ^Marcia can be good, yeah. But don't lose sleep over not using her, FE9 only has good units. And Sothe.

Hey now, Sothe is the best thief in the game! :v:

Also, he has real utility on his joining chapter unless you want to go crazy running Volke all around the map.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Or you could just use Galeforce and have one pair of units get there on their own in the first turn. Dancing might save you like one turn if you aren't using Galeforce.

Yeah, you have Olivia at chapter 11. You will have a unit with galeforce at, what, chapter 22? Unless you grind, but if you grind you can throw all assumptions about any usefulness out of the window.

Anyway, I find the best use for Olivia to be throwing her into myrmidon, which she's really good at, and back to dancer after she's gotten swordfaire to compensate for dancer's poo poo stats.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also make sure to get Ike/Soren A support if you care about Secret Hidden poo poo. It might be more trouble than it's worth though because the secret hidden poo poo only actually unlocks on a second playthrough (of RD).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

He's still just a worse Shinon, and do you really want two Snipers when you have so many other good units with the Greil Mercenaries?

Well, the tradeoff is Rolf has better Growths but Shinon has better bases. If you give Rolf better bases...

I would use Rolf anyway because I like big numbers and that 60% strength growth is certainly a big number.

Also also, I just remembered that archers own really hard in RD because they get 3 range, so nothing wrong with using two of them (but not three because Leonardo)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I knew about FE9 (in that one Shinon sucks because he comes in way late and at super lovely prepromote bases) but whoa, he really was that good in 10? And even Rolf's str was even better than I remembered. I think I mostly love using him because this little kid archer has the highest STR growth in the game (Tied with Aran) and he will always end up ridiculously beefy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The worst sound track was Path of Radiance. All the others were somewhere in between fairly good and excellent. PoR's was not, the "evil bad guys plotting" music almost sounds like a slightly meaner version of something in Monty Python. Compare to when say, FE7 does the same thing and it's fairly night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FIu7FY58U

E: And who can forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUC4aXtC3Y

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 7, 2014

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress staves, make magic have healing tomes. Anima gets one or two healing tomes at higher levels, Light is healing focused with (relatively wimpy) attack tomes at B or C rank and up, Dark magic gets none but has status effects and high damage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Artix posted:

And speaking of maps, here's Chapter 9 - the final map in Act 1. This chapter takes place in the Athanian palace, and is actually only half the complete palace map. There's an upper half for a chapter that also takes place in the palace in Act 2.

What's the progression here? Is there anything stopping you from marching to the throne and seizing besides the promise of shiny loot?

Oh, wait. I'm making assumptions. I guess the first question would be, where do you start?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

When/if you do chest thieves, please do extensive testing, because I have a passionate hatred for that particular game mechanic. Whenever chapters include them I take forever getting through them because I play super impatiently and inevitably only win because of clutch crits.

Or, in case the hack's purpose is to extract bitter tears from me, feel free to include all the chest thieves. I will still probably play this because right now, it's looking pretty fantastic compared to most of the hacks out there! Good job guys :unsmith:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's two interesting romhacking things I came across recently, which is perfect because I've been itching for some FE lately.

1: Fire Emblem: Midnight Sun released like yesterday, and is your standard FE romhack. New fanfictiony storyline, new fanfictiony characters, perhaps some good game design. Actually, it's not quite so standard since it's an FE8 hack which means world maps, grind towers and all that jazz. It seems like the creator really wanted to mess with the standard gameplay conventions in this one which is why I find it interesting, here's what they say:

quote:

Since I'm a Fire Emblem fan myself, I wanted to create something "new" and different, possibly never seen and fresh. You'll find plenty of chapters with unusual goals, and some chapters have alternate endings based on how you played them. Also, recruiting new units might be a little tricky in this hack, because: a) Faratrass' position is complicated and it's obvious that most people won't join her side. b) I like to play with events and reward the player with some extra units instead of giving them at the beginning of each chapter.
However, don't worry, I marked in red some words in the dialogues to give you hints on how you should behave in the chapters in order to unlock the achievements.

The current release is a ten chapter demo. I haven't played it yet but I'm expecting good things.

2: A Fire Emblem 7 Randomizer. You know all those pokemon randomizers? This is kinda like that except it's a complete hassle to install and still kind of buggy. It can change your character classes, the items they start with, and the stats of the items themselves (I don't think this is a very fun option, it will inevitably lead to 20 Mt iron axes and steamrolling the game. Thankfully it's an option!). The best (?) part is that characters retain their sprite palette, so you can get an adorable pink fighter if Serra becomes one. Or, in most cases, a horrible vomit pile of blue, green and red splashed about randomly.

There's also a fix patch which addresses the most obvious issues with random classes like giving you more keys in case you get thief screwed and adding a promotion for soldier (it's just cavalier).

As I said, it is kind of a bitch to install, but well worth it if you're looking for excuses to replay FE7.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been playing Random FE7 and it really is a ton of fun. You can get a really overpowered squad easily but you also run into some unexpected problems and it creates a lot of interesting situations. For example, my starting squad in Hector mode was Matthew the hector (yes, really) and Hector the Peg. Knight. Half of the enemies there are archers, whoops. I was also denied a healer until Erk joined as a cleric which made the early chapter a bit tenser than usual. Matthector is cleaning up though, he has become a slightly strength screwed hector at 8 str in exchange for 15 (!) spd and skl and 11 def at level 8. I can see why you usually don't get speedy axe units, this man is breaking the game over his knee with steel axe doubling.

Also, I have no thieves and it is likely I never will, so I probably need to get used to the idea of missing over half the chests in the game, and with it quite a lot of funding and promotion items.

Again, can't recommend this more. And I want to share war stories with someone, so get on this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I hope you applied the fix patch or your Kent can't promote! The fix promises to fix negative stats as well so it seems you didn't or ran into an errant bug with it. If you didn't, also good luck with promoting other people since there is a serious lack of promotion items for certain classes in the base game.

Also, if people who know this game are trying the randomizer, I recommend skipping Lyn mode because a) that poo poo is boring, b) you get five units you know nothing about in chapter 15/16 and that's amazing :allears: and c) the game is likely to give you incredibly good units anyway so leveling people up in Lyn mode will only make it even easier.

And hey, if we're doing screenshots, here's some of my MVPs!

Lowen is the most Knight. He is very Knight.

Oswin is Eliwood, if you can imagine an Eliwood with good stats (he is also puke brown in battle and it's fantastic)

Serra has been really good despite her not amazing stats, because her speed is exactly enough to double most things. Also she is miles better than my two other archers (Bartre and ...Rebecca :geno:) and Mage (Dorcas. He makes a cute girl), and will gain an Actual Weapon on promotion, so I'd probably use her anyway.

Erk has Serra's sprite :haw:, is a healer so is automatically the best, and god drat those level 1 bases. Although, he does die to a slight breeze.

Hector is a pony princess. That nine defence is really doing work for him though. Imagine, a pegasus is not dying instantly to archers! Also, he breaks every early map by flying everywhere.

Matthew is amazing, nothing can stop him. Well, not yet anyway, I foresee strength problems in his future. But then again, axes have enormous attack so this might be the best-case scenario of getting strength screwed.

Marcus is also amazing but that is to be expected. I try not to use her (yes, her) too much, but if she gains good speed and skill and any strength at all she's almost endgame ready right here

Welp, there's my huge picture dump, hope someone enjoyed that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Is there a randomizer for FE6? That sounds like it could be a beautiful trainwreck. :allears:

They're working on that and FE8. It's basically the same engine so it's not that hard but it's not too easy either. And apparently the programmer is procrastinating on it hard, like all good programmers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I got Lyn's group finally. Guess what? They all suck, and two of them are nomads :suicide: For those not counting, I now have five archers. The archer only run is real. Also, Lyn is a hector except she's so much worse than Mathhew it's not even funny.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ There isn't, that guy is just out of his mind.

Volt Catfish posted:

Do you guys use the "Fix" patch for the randomizer or no? It's got a lot of features I'd rather not have, like buffing weak classes.

Definitely do, because otherwise you will encounter bugs like negative stats and missing animations. Oh, and half your army might be extremely poo poo. Of course, if you want more of a challenge go for it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

this thing does something weird to prepromotes.

They are autoleveled. Magic happens.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Looper posted:

Geese is cool, I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jg34xeW_Ng

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't even care about pair up, I care about IS waking up the map designers this time around.

What if, we had objectives? Seize? Defend?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I could see fatique being a problem when you don't know what's coming up. Oops, used up my paladin in the last map and now I need to get over there really fast!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

FE9 is terrible because map animations are so slow.

If you use map animations you are literally satan.

Yes, I know this is like 30% of the playerbase.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

no like even the animations with animations off are slow

Yeah I know, but you shouldn't know that because the animations should stay on 100% of the time.

What is even the loving point if I can't see my swordmaster twirl his stick around when he crits

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Of all the map animations to defend, you defend possible the worst looking and most boring ones.

Well, that is true, but this applies more generally to all Fire Emblems I play.

Although, I have a soft spot for some of the ridiculous animations in FE9. How about that Astra, where 5 hits are dealt in approximately .1 seconds? That looks like it hurts. Or Rolf's crit, where he, uhh, crouches down to notch the arrow?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

In theory, the best use of Leonardo is getting him to level 10 and master sealing for the guaranteed stat ups so he can use his superbow for something for a few chapters. But you could also sell the master seal, or use it on Laura and it would probably be a better use. So gently caress Leo.

I want to try a bow only run to see how much I can wring out of him when forced to.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pegasuses (?) are way too frail for the way I play FE, which is to find a spot on the map lots of enemy units will reach, place someone there, and hope they don't die.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If those boss conversations didn't exist I probably wouldn't like RD as much as I do, because they actually contain sorely needed characterisation and stuff. You know characterisation that would be usually found in supports or scenes that everyone would see rather than in incidental dialogue 99% of players would miss.

All the new characters still get nothing though.

Remember the new laguz? You know, Lyre and, and... the tiger guy.

I literally can't remember his name right now.

Speaking of people who are bad at FE, my first FE was 9. I was something like 15 years old, and I was completely horrible at it. I wasted all my seals on level 10 units, I didn't know what occults even were, and in the end I gave up on chapter 27 because Ike was like level 10 and gamefaqs told me to give him an occult I didn't have. No mist, either, she died somewhere around chapter 12~15. Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure I had a level 20 Sothe just to round out the amazing team of prepromotes and people promoted way too early.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Onmi posted:

This is actually a point, Ike can just leave that chapter. Why? Because it was entirely possible you COULDN'T WIN against the Black Knight, that's the same reason for the Laguz Kings

Oh, yeah. I always forget this. Apparently I also forgot it back then, but it was probably for the best. The second runthrough was much more fun anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How is everybody surprised at Micaiah being Actually Old when the game A) Points it out in dialog, it's not like it's a secret and B) Shows you picture of Sothe in his single-digit years with Micaiah, who looks exactly the same as she is now.

I guess not everyone particularly cares about the dialogue in FE though. Which is understandable as the main story tends to be completely or mostly rear end/cliched/boring. The only story I've gotten into is 9. I hear 4 has an OK story?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ruggington posted:

And then they made growths not matter in the slightest

When did this happen, or are you talking about Awakening?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, it looks really weird. Either slow it down (like gravity slowly taking control again) or speed it up.

I'm pretty sure we had this discussion back when this animation was first created and it's hella faster now. I agree that it still looks weird but it's a custom animation that isn't super janky or super flashy or both so it's more than good enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I must be in the minority but I enjoy the more understated animations. Eirika's and Amelia's (class 1) crit animations are some of my favorites. Crits that are just people spinning their weapons are super lame. Warrior is exempt because he spins himself.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Libra and Aversa

Libra can't catch a drat break.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why would I ever use anyone else? I usually bench Jeigans without a second thought but man, with Seth, it's really really hard to justify.

Incidentally, Seth here has what looks like a female Hero map sprite with long hair and such, but he appears male with the normal sprite in battle. Does FE8 have some leftover female hero data but not a battle sprite? Or did he somehow randomize himself an unmatching map and battle sprite?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

This isn't... supposed to be a Fog of War map, is it? Ohh boy.

Kent and Wil are both Knights, and they both loving suck, big surprise. So much for getting some interesting units in this chapter. At least Wyvern Lyn can handle herself.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I'm using a patch to fix some poo poo with the randomizer including Lord base stats. But still, Lyn doesn't have amazing stats (7s and 8s across the board) especially considering she's my third wyvern now and the others are pulling amazing numbers out of their collective rear end. Erk has 12/10/9 offensive stats at level 2!! I can already see the beautiful green numbers, they're calling to me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IGA is definitely doing something: http://swordorwhip.com/

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I've also got this randomizer mystery:

Here's Bartre.

He's a Sellsword, which has the same description as a merc. He only uses swords, and he's got some kind of early Myrmidon sprite on the map.

In battle though, he looks like...

Eirika's beta sprite without the cape? :psyduck: Yes, s/he's even got the spinny stab animation going.

What is going on with this man/woman? And of course the most important question is, will I be able to promote them? If not they're getting the bench immediately, no Lvl 20 caps in my party. :mad:

E: Well, gently caress me, I just checked and this is an extra class added by the patch I'm using, essentially a female merc. The Map sprite/ battle sprite weirdness convinced me it was some sort of weird leftovers.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 7, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Python randomizer I was using (and as far as I know there is only the one) came with a completed save right in the package. You just had to know to look for it (it's save.sav)

Cake Attack posted:

Phantom Ship belongs in a much harder FE game

Why the gently caress would you ever pick Ephraim's route though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well yeah that's why you don't need to pick Ephraim because when he comes in underleveled in chapter 16(?) he's completely usable still but Eirika is usually rear end.

And Eirika just has much better chapters.