Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Decided to try out FE9 maniac, and got all the way to chapter 9, only to realize that I forgot to talk to Marcia back in chapter 3. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've already restarted. Leave no-one behind.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

93tu posted:

That said, the AI in the series has always been dumb and predictable

Sometimes it's dumb and unpredictable. Notably the SNES games seem to just flip coins about who to attack, and will give up sure kills and attack your indestructible behemoth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about the current WR, but at least a few world records ago the player worked by playing on an emulator, recording the exact number of RNs to burn before each move, then replicating it on a console.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Anatharon posted:

I don't quite get the point of doing stuff like that. Isn't that sorta like turing on noclip for a Doom run?

Not really even a little bit? Noclip is cheating and doing things you can't normally do in the game. Figuring out how many RNs to waste is using an emulated copy of the game as a tool to discover the optimal route for your non-emulated run.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

I never cared about comparing Pent to Nino, what have you been reading.

Just so long as we agree that Renault is the worst.

Coming with A rank staves is way better than anything Nino is doing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also Tanith.

Tanith's generic Falconknight summon MVP every game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DoctorStrangelove posted:

When Marcia caps strength, speed and skill by level 3 of Falcoknight, it's hard to justify using Tanith.

Tanith is as good as a fully capped Marcia even if she never once engages in combat. Generic Falconknights are the true saviors of the Crimean people.

In all seriousness, Tanith's usefulness scales with difficulty in a way no other unit in the game does, because her summons are calculated the same way enemies are--including difficulty bonuses. In hard, they're alreayd miles better than her, and in an imported copy playing Maniac, they're like 20/5 Marcia with a little bit less HP, except you have two of them and can treat them disposably.

e: and you also get four pegasus knights who kinda suck but even in the absolute worst case distract the enemies from killing your units and contribute a bit of chip damage.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 18, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact, Makalov with his starting weapon (steel sword) is doubled by the bandits threating the villages in the chapter he joins in Maniac.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DoctorStrangelove posted:

She capped Strength, speed and skill barely by level 5 as a falconknight for me. She's good. Doesn't hurt that fliers are amazing in PoR and that there's that item that makes bows to normal damage.

That's a really lucky Marcia. Her averages in key stats at 20/5 are 34/60 hp, 18/23 str, 22/28 spd, 15/24 def. In fact, even if Marcia capped speed pre-promotion, she is incapable of maxing speed by 20/5 as you claimed without putting a speedwing into her after promoting.

Honestly, on average Marcia isn't a god without some statbosoters, but even just being Nephenee on a pegasus is more than good enough. She has a shak period right after you recruit her where she either needs a good forge or a ton of bexp, but neither quantity is exactly in short supply, so it's not a big deal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

alcharagia posted:

Good to know. Maybe next time I play the game I'll use her if I can figure out how to make her not die when enemies give her a nasty look.

Bonus experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dancers are probably at their worst in this game because the maps don't typically have side goals (like saving villages, etc) where going fast is particularly useful, and half the maps after Olivia joins are just big featureless plains that are impossible to set up defensive lines on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

It kind of works in that it only refreshes one move and not the full set, but you're missing the point. Even if you aren't using a broken skill Dancer adds nothing. Period, end of story. There is literally no point of time on any difficulty level in any stage of the game in which having a Dancer could possibly change something in any meaningful way. In fact, you're really just hurting yourself by not bringing a unit that can fight or give better support bonuses. Sure, you can use Olivia to refresh your healer but you could also just bring another healer instead. You have three or four by the time you get Olivia anyway. At best you might save yourself a turn. Maybe. The only use for it is to expedite staff grinding a bit.

I'm not a fan of Olivia in general but this is just hyperbole. She's no Feena or Sylvia, but she does enable things that would otherwise be completely impossible otherwise. Facing impossible odds and need to end the chapter right now or lose? Olivia gets you closer to the boss. Need to get your paladin deep enough into enemy territory to take out an archer so you can bring your fliers to bear on the main problem? Olivia can help out. These situations aren't particularly common in this game, but saying that deploying her is literally always worse than deploying someone else is just wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait what I've never heard of this and I've played FE7 for years.

It's relatively newly discovered. I's more applicable in FE8, with its relative dearth of ways to execute the glitch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

I am interested in learning about this torch staff glitch.

The tile you center the torch on counts as a PWASE, same as a mine, lava tile, or downed snag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpPgsXeeR4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Interesting. I'll try it out next time I play, assuming it's practical to do on hardware. What does PWASE stand for, though?

Place Which Affects Something Else. It seems to be the only unifying characteristic of the tiles that can activate the glitch (or did at the time the phrase was coined).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was about to say that my guys have been slamming into 20/20 in like chapter 25 in my maniac run but then I checked and FE9 doesn't actually give an exp penalty in higher difficulties to make up for the increased number of enemies, unlike FE7. That seems like an odd decision when they clearly recognized it as a problem and solved it just two games prior.

fake edit: I guess you do actually get 10 fewer exp per enemy in maniac compared to normal mode, on top of the reduced bonus exp. I guess there's just that many more enemies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wrath works as well. The BK ignores crits, except from wrath. That's the more reliable way, escpecially because you want Ike to ideally have wrath + resolve for Ashnard on anything above normal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SC Bracer posted:

You can't get the scrolls for the skill in time for that point. Wrath resolve is definitely the best combo for Ashnard though. I guess VantageWrath could do the job okay though.

Just wrath by itself is fine. I only mentioned resolve because the fact you want it on Ike means that ptuting Aether on him is a (slight) waste of a scroll.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

theshim posted:

Given that Mastery skills in FE9 weren't horrendously broken on most characters (hi FE10) you can honestly justify throwing Aether on Ike early and overwriting it later. Slight is the right word to describe it.

Sol is really really good. Just put Sol on all your paladins, which you're using all of because it's FE9.

e: apparently Aether is skill%, not Skill/2% holy poo poo. Well, I still say Ike doesn't need it unless you're not supporting him with Oscar for some reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

WrightOfWay posted:

It depends on whether the Black Knight can knock Ike into Wrath range in a single hit without procing Luna and even then you can't safely attack while in Wrath range since a Luna will definitely kill him then. The advantage with Aether is that it's always on and deals quite a bit more damage per hit (36 vs. 27 at max Strength.) You definitely want Wrath + Resolve for Ashnard, though, and it helps a lot with dragons too.

Wrath gives you 50% crit rate, vs 20-something% chance of activating Aether. The point is reliability.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

What's a good fifth skill to put on Sorcerers in Awakening? I'm running Vantage, Vengeance, Armsthrift, and Limit Break and don't know what else to fit in. Wrath seems like a really mediocre option, and Tomefaire is just filler until I can replace it with LB.

Keep Tomefaire. Almost everybody who has access to their -faire skill should use it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

Does the +5 really end up making that much of a difference compared to the utility skills? I guess there really isn't much else for them, any of the mastery skills are redundant with Vengeance and Galeforce is useless.

Thanks!

e: For the record I have Noire, Morgan, and Gregor!Laurent all running identical builds, so this is nice for them.

The general priority for skills, at least for Apotheosis (and for any lesser map it just doesn't matter what you have) is:

-Galeforce
-Things that let you get ORKOs when you otherwise wouldn't (luna, aether, astra, etc)
-Things that let you finish off enemies that someone else failed to ORKO (-faire skills, str+2, etc)
-Movement-boosting skills
-Everything else

At least in my experience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

Path of Radiance brought us the Black Knight's theme, that alone redeems the soundtrack. :colbert:

Caineghis' theme is also quite good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Status effects are really only useful when it's Fire Emblem 5 and you can instantly incapicate any enemy not on a throne from the other side of the map.

FE14 should be a spiritual successor to FE5. Lucina 776 please.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I must be a broken individual because all of the difficulty suggestions other than "make the map literally unwinnable" just make it sound more fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lotish posted:

Someone suggested locking part or all of the team in the walled off area at the bottom right of that map, and it got me thinking that loading the A team into an arena or murderhole killbox and the B team has to open the portcullis to get them out is a great idea. Thracia used it as an ambush in one map.

You could have a gaiden or challenge map where you start with a map that starts essentially with three boxes. The first box connects to a tunnel to a pad that unlocks the second box, which contains a hallway that leads to a trigger to unlock the third, and the third has a shot at the boss room. The entire time the boss and his entourage are lobbing pot-shots at the third team and the second team is getting swarmed by reinforcements.

But if you go into the map with a character that has a 3-10 attack spell you can end the fight on turn one. :smugdog:

My strategy for FE9 maniac chapter 22 was to look up the contents of the treasure chests, decide I didn't care about them, and bolting-dance-bolting the boss.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SC Bracer posted:

until today, that one thread was apparently the only drat place where someone thought, "hmm an enemy dancer could be interesting!"

FE5 actually has enemy dancers (because of course it does). They kind of don't really do anything meaningful, but they're there. Even once you get enemy dancers working, there's not much point to it unless you someone make them refresh enemy healers or ranged attackers--melee enemies tend to rush into the meatgrinder, and dancing them just means they meatgrind a turn earlier.

Plus, for me at least, one of the things I like most about the hard modes of the DS and 3DS games is the predictability of the enemy AI. The games already have enough variance in accuracy, crit, and growth rates, making the enemy extra unpredictable because you don't know who the dancer will target isn't amazing design imo.

e: if the dancer AI can be gotten to behave intelligently, I can definitely see it spicing up a section that isn't so difficult as to require carefully calculating which enemy will attack who, though.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 5, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

W.T. Fits posted:

Actually, now I'm kind of curious about how the AI in FE13 would handle Olivia as a Dancer in the Wellspring of Truth paralogue. Has anyone ever played that map with her as that class, and if so, how did the AI handle it?

She just attacked, she never danced.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Shiny777 posted:

Haven't brought Dancer Olivia to P22 myself, but there is this video where she dances as an enemy. So 13 definitely does have AI for enemy Dancers, and they can choose to do it even if they could go swing a sword at someone instead.

Unfortunately, I don't have any files in the endgame that haven't already cleared it, so I can't gently caress around with the map a bit myself and try to figure out if there's any vaguely comprehensible logic behind whether she'll dance or attack, or determining who she dances for.

It's possible I'm misremembering.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Micaiah is definitely better than Roy, she's just weird. She goes from smashing armor and horses to pieces with Thani in part one (but being garbage at everything else) to being a staff bot in parts 3 and 4 (but garbage at everything else). She's worse at generic combat than Roy, but both of her specializations are better than marginal combat prowess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That is sweet as hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

The point is that he'll be sitting around at level 20 doing nothing for like ten chapters.

Why does he have to do nothing? It's the same principle as using Jeigan's--sure you might not see +1s as often if you're using people that can very little/no exp, but as long as you aren't just soloing the map with him or anything, you'll be fine. Feel free to use him whenever it would be tactically useful to do so.

FE7 is probably also one of the friendliest games in the series for units with low movement, because of all the defend chapters and chapters that otherwise don't reward you for rushing around.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, most of the enemies even in HHM are kinda terrible. FE7's plan for difficulty is to have more enemies, not stronger ones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Iceclaw posted:

On the other hand, it's hard to make a Fire Emblem game difficult without going into "Pray you are lucky/Reset until you find the one solution the developers intended" game design.

This is only true for people who are really really good at the series (like probably half the people in this thread). For people who don't have multiple dozens of playthroughs under their belts, and who haven't beaten multiple games at their hardest difficulties, something like FE6 HM or FE7 HHM works fine for what you're saying.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely buyable staves, though I don't remember what chapter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there's one staff that doesn't need to be 5 uses, it's the FE3 version of the Again staff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Anatharon posted:

So uh what are you doing?

But what about the J?!

Tharja's name in Japanese is Saarya. The j is presumably pronounced as a y.

Then again, Clarine from FE6 has a non-silent e at the end of her japanese name, so pronounce it however you want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it was the least popular, actually. Or one of the least popular.

e: I am wrong and dumb, it sold well, just worse than 3.

The be fair, Fire Emblem sales in Japan strictly decreased from like FE3 all the way through FE12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Iceclaw posted:

Well, children get everything their parents had. Including they can't use, or that their parents couldn't use (which can happens if a parent kills a boss carrying a droppable weapon they can't use). So, yeah, sell Ethlin's things to Adean, so that you have access to a lot of things right off the bat. Claude and Fury can be good ideas as well.

This is false. Children only inherit things they can use, and Holy Weapons.