Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've been thinking about picking Three Houses again and trying one of the other routes. From what I remember first time around I picked female Byleth, mentored Black Eagles and Edelgard and Hubert ruined everything, then they died (I think?), we raided a space hangar and then I gave up at the big battle with religion dragon-lady for some reason and never got further. I looked it up and apparently Black Eagles are the least popular house? Wow. I didn't even figure out the recruitment mechanic until the very end either so war-part was super depressing.

Which house should I try next and does anyone have any hints or useful links as how to not screw things up as much? Feeling a little lost.

I'm actually kind of staggered that I've managed to forget so much about this game in so little time. FE8 and Radiant Dawn permanently occupy real-estate in my brain and yet with this game I just draw blanks aside from some of the side characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I'm honestly having a little trouble parsing MiddleOne's post, tbh: Are we talking in-game or within the fandom here?

Statistic was path most played or something. Not popular as in well-liked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So in summary, yellow sucks so go blue or black again?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocking back and forth between going blue or yellow solely on the allure of Bow-lord. Fire Emblem needs more Bow-lords.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Beat the second mission on Maddening with blue house. I feel like an unstoppable god (a sentiment I'm sure will last for all of the beginning of the next mission).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gotten 4 missions into maddening and what is going on with the difficulty curve. It feels as it gets easier by the mission.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Think I've reached the tipping point on Maddening, I'm in November and I can't for the life of me clear any of the support missions. Whether it's a protect-the-ally that will rush the boss of the level (:lol: what the gently caress game), swordmasters who can't be reliably hit by anyone or Byleths own personal hell of crest-monsters that spawn faster than you can kill them, I am stuck.

Decided to continue on to the main mission of the month but I am kinda worried now that I've fallen behind the curve again. If this is how it's now how will it be post-timeskip.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tea time is savage and brutal. Barbaric!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think fishing would be more rewarding if,

1. There was less of it
2. It wasn't so drat useful

Like gardening has a fine balance. Fishing feels tedious and yet I know I sabotage myself by not doing it so there I stand.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Off-topic, am I alone in wanting a re-master of Radiant Dawn? Or is nostalgia just fooling me.

Sacred Stones too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/Dt75Art/status/1367176251677552651

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rimusutera posted:

Supports are overrated and not the best medium for character development.

Three Houses is incredibly overstuffed on support conversations and suffers especially from how many of them aren't delivered organically.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Which are the bad 3Houses supports

All of them when you have to endure of them 5 in a row or be less effective in your next mission. It turns what should be enjoyable character moments into a chore. As someone already mentioned C-supports especially have it real bad since they're all so overlapping.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like FE-developers would get a lot of lee-way if they just stopped accounting for permadeath entirely. Go full Advance Wars.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean three houses basically doesnt already, both plot-wise and even gameplay-wise. can you imagine an average player who recruited maybe one or two other students playing on classic with a mindset of accepting deaths that happen? theyd be completely boned by halfway through part 2.

I can do you one further, imagine playing on maddening while accepting deaths. :shepicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sacred Stones was the last game I even tried ironmanning. It has a nice balance between feeding you characters who can hold their own water from the get-go and babies who need to protected to ascend to godhood.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dmboogie posted:

anyways the weirdest thing about three houses supports was the time gaps between B and A resulting in annette and meredes having a fight and then not talking to each other for five years

Weird but strangely realistic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hace posted:

I just want another campaign style game without a map or hub

Less filler in general. I've never understood why the series swerved back to the Sacred Stones format after Radiant Dawn.

Or just go full hubworld and roguelike, I dunno.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

Because Radiant Dawn sold badly

Off the top of my head the problems of Radiant Dawn:

1. Being a sequel to a game almost no one had played on account of the Gamecube being a failure.

2. Being a high-budget console-entry in a series that was popular on hand-held, not consoles.

3. The very weird translation of the difficulty levels and the subsequent review-bomb.

I think if Radiant Dawn was released today for the Switch or last gen for the 3DS it would have been a very different story. The game had problems but I don't think its overall structure was really to blame for its commercial failure.

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean the more specific answer is that Awakening was by design a throw everything from the franchise in a pot approach, so they took the map from FE2 and 8. And then Awakening sold like hot cakes.

Yeah I remember jumping on it upon release, mostly because the franchise had been virtually dead since the terrible NDS remake.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, meanwhile NDS audience got fed basically FE gruel. :yikes:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dimitri no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXjd7uEIFI

Walla posted:

Except well, not. Shadow Dragon sold better than both PoR and RD and both 7 and 8 each sold better than anything until Awakening. New Mystery tanked horribly but I think that has as much to do with not coming west as being a shoddy remake.

Yeah there was a huge demand for FE on hand-held, even bad FE.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BEXP was great.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crossover Three Houses and Days of Ruin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dimitri's arc sure is something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa6Y9ymGDxo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Engage has broken me, how am I ever going back to a mainline entry with weapon durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I know I'm like the one person on the planet, but I really wish they would try making another Radiant Dawn. I'm 100% convinced that it was the Wii rather than the creative vision that doomed it.