Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Onmi posted:

FE8 was coloured better, I appreciate the branching promotions more, and I like the characters more than FE7. Not that I don't have favourites in FE7 just... overall I prefer 8s cast.

Then again my favourite games are 5, 6 and 9, so what the gently caress do I know?

5 has the best map design of any game in the series. I'll stand by it 'till the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's just Erk being Erk.

In my current HHM run, Erk is +3 over his speed average :colbert:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

has this ever actually happened in FE?

Cavs from FE9->10 got hit with the nerf bat real hard in the form of stat caps. Also, maybe swords from 4 and 5, where they were by far the best weapon type, to 6 and 7, where they were much worse?

Edit: and Dark Magic from 7->8, or at least the Luna tome.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

The stat caps only matter for 3 maps in the entire game and by that point you have the Laguz Royals so who gives a poo poo. The terrain penalties matter more but Fiona is the only cav really hosed over by them and she would be trash regardless. The good cavs only have to deal with 3-4, 3-7 and 4-5 if you don't 1 turn. It's certainly not enough to make Titania not the 3rd best unit in the game.

BEXP was just kind of differently broken. In PoR you just had things like instantly promoting Marcia as soon as you got her with zero long term stat penalties instead of the cap everything nature of RD.

I was thinking of Oscar getting hosed by his tier 2 speed cap as well, and Titania still needs an early-ish Iron Crown to double enemies in late chapter 3. I mean, she's still amazing.

Also, don't they get move penalties indoors in only 10 and not 9?

oh, fyi, I was just going based on my few Hard Mode playthroughs, not the serious LTC stuff.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Authority stars really gently caress the Dawn Brigade over.

Cyas.jpg

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Onmi posted:

Listen, if I can get Mordecai MVP on a map where he's on the enemies side, I can kill all those motherfuckers in the valley!

seriously this was the absolute most amazing thing I ever did in FE10, I still don't know how.

Did you literally feed Dawn Brigade members to him? Well, that's more use than I have ever gotten out of Fiona so...

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

chapter 14 is hard and making me feel bad about myself

also in going to use sophia and then marry her to roy to keep the dragon strong, i will post proof

ya desert maps good design every time.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Nakar posted:

Beyond just that, I'd like to see more maps with multifaceted objectives like were done in a few bits of FE4 and FE5, possibly even completely split off from each other on the map but maybe not quite that bad.

Have a mission where some guys have to defend a fort from a crushing onslaught like some of those chapters in Thracia or Radiance but at the same time your horse dudes have a map where they're flanking the enemy and by forcing certain officer characters to retreat they lower the flow of reinforcements (which are otherwise endless and probably need to not grant exp obviously) until they cut it off, allowing the defender team to push out and fight the boss. Or more maps where you need to be a bit reckless with flying units who are the only ones capable of reaching a certain objective in time but are not the best choice for fighting the foes waiting there or attacking it.

Just stuff like that where you can divvy people up into multiple teams as having your big blob of dudes makes it extremely easy to both kill any enemies and survive most incoming damage. Forcing you to split up some forces you to pick who goes where to do what, which is helpful and often lets you consider dudes for roles that you otherwise wouldn't have thought about.

The gold standard for that type of map is Thracia's chapter nineteen, in my opinion:

Your forces start cut in half. One group is being chased down by endless swarms of high-promoted cavalry, led by two mini-bosses. It has to protect the green civilians. One is recruit-able, but only by a very squishy priest. The other half of your army is way up at the top of the map. In between, thieves threaten villages. You have to divide your army between rescuing the green dudes and any slow movers, protecting the villages, and holding off the enemy. It's a lot of fun and very challenging, especially if you try to charge the boss and his iron ballista bodyguards. It's also one of the few maps where Thracia's inability to choose where your units deploy adds to the depth; you can't just stack all your fliers and promoted horsemen in the bottom group.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 7, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I distinctly remember searching desperately for Boyd on my roster after I let him die on the greil base defense; needing a crit to kill the black knight because I didn't use mist; and getting to ashnard with a completely unprepared team because my most used units were Rolf and Titania

You always need lucky crits or aether procs to kill the Black Knight. Grrrrrrr. No, I want cool Nasir, not mopey Ena!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think in fates Generals get a skill that stops enemies from doubling. Would implementing something similar increase knights' overall utility?

I wouldn't think so; the issue with generals' speed has never been that they get doubled. It's that they can't double enemies and therefore can't ORKO them, which is the big Is This Unit Good? test.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Tae posted:

On paper yes, but Radiant Dawn has a lot of maps that has a spectrum that goes from "Holy poo poo, this is almost luck-based" to "Literally win by doing nothing" at times. The map where you have to have Ike fight BK once in the swamp comes to mind.

I never had too much trouble with that. Equip nihil on Ike, drop him for one turn at the edge of BK's range with Haar, let them fight, and then evac.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

I think I'm the only one that likes RD unit availability. It leads to lots of situations where mediocre units have a chance to shine.

Chapters like 3-9 (iirc) where the Crimean Knights have to defend the village are interesting, because you've got 6 or 7 deeply mediocre guys that you have no choice but to work with.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

imo the radiant dawn desert map is worse

That's why you send Haar/Jill/Janaff/Ulki with Micaiah. Then kill stupid saint boss (why are all the late game RD bosses Saints (aside from Black Knight's adoring minion)?).

Wait I just remembered it's a rout map and you have to cart Micaiah all the way to the corner to recruit Stephen. Nm that map's the worst. Too bad though because RD has the best map design behind Thracia in the series imo.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Sara is also very powerful. She is like a little baby Levin, teleporting all around the map and murdering people because she has wrath and prayer.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Can of Worms, I just got to the end of your FE4 port and thought I would give some feedback. Overall, I had a ton of fun. It captured the feel of 4 without the clunkiness. Map design was really good, difficulty was about right, and overall stat tuning was good; doubling felt like an actual accomplishment.

Most of the units felt powerful (Lex!) or at least useful (Midir, Jamka). However, there were a couple of exceptions:
-Cuan felt really mediocre. He's locked to lances, had poor base stats, and gains so little xp that you can't even train him. After the first couple chapters, he isn't even particularly durable or hard-hitting. Felt like a Jeigan without control of the weapon triangle.
-Aideen was hard to justify deploying. Lacked the offensive of the other two healers, wasn't mobile, and was even more fragile. Getting a few extra HP out of heal just didn't seem worth it.
-Alec feel off really quickly. With Pursuit, Noish just seems flat-out superior, with way more defense and offense. Some dodge and immunity to crits just didn't seem like enough to make him comparable.
-And finally, Sigurd felt weaker than he "should" be, as a main lord. Like Cuan, the low xp gain really hurts him, and his base stats aren't anything to right home about. He's a decent tank with the knight sword, but that's about the only edge he has. I think it might be worth giving him FE6 Karel-level growths; at least that way, he'll feel a lot more powerful.

The one level that felt off was 3-1 I think--the one with the caravan you need to protect. There were very few enemies and I never felt threatened. I would up enemy stats or spawn more further down, so that the caravan is actually endangered.

I cannot wait until you get to generation two! The thought of Lakche and her brother with Astra and Lex's unique skill... wow! Thank you for all the work you've put into this!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I just realized I beat the first chapter without getting Cuan. Does he show up later in the hack or did I gently caress up somehow?

He shows up in the next chapter, don't worry.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Nah. I was mostly just making conversation for the purpose of changing the topic from a derail that was turning toxic. :ssh: It didn't work. :smith: But man +8 is just such a big number to see. :allears:

Now imagine that plus eight on Lakche with brave sword and improved astra!

Can of Worms, you might want to consider slightly bumping up the stats on Midir and Jamka. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but neither of them could one-round KO very many enemies at all, if any. This is okay for front-liners like Lex (okay, he ORKO'd a heck of a lot regardless), but because the archers aren't getting any enemy phase action it made them feel pretty weak.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Midale usually has enough speed to double most enemies and his skill gives him a significant damage boost if you take advantage of it, and from my playtesting recollections Jamka is ahead of the stat curve when he joins as well, plus he has the Killer Bow for potential damage bonus. They also have the advantage of being able to use a Poison weapon which is extremely good if you can capitalize on that. Still, if they're lagging behind you can post screenshots and I can get a better idea of what the issue is.

Midale is on me; I was still in my FE4 "unit's can't trade" mindset, and so I thought to take advantage of that skill I'd either have to stick Midale with an iron bow or not have enough killer bow uses to go through the map.

Here's my Jamka at the end of the last chapter in the hack. I don't know where his stats were vis a vs his averages:

The issue was that 1) he couldn't double anything other than knights and 2) his accuracy with the killer bow was pretty trash, usually around 60-70, and as a result even the "one big hit with high crit" method wasn't that great.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Wait, I just realized I completely forgot about one character in Can of Worm's FE4 hack: Eve. Eve looked like complete garbage. Terrible stats (he's a level one paladin with no non-hp stat over 10! As much defense as base Florina! FE1 Jeigan might be able to take him down!), no xp growth, and all he gets is light magic and lances? He just seemed completely worthless. Maybe there's a trick, but I would consider a stat boost so that people will at least give him a chance.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I legit cannot remember any fighters in fe6 so I guess you've made your point there

Lott is almost good. He has one of the best defense growths in the game, decent speed... just, his stats aren't quite high enough.

Ward is utter poo poo.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

That's not fair. She's also one of the frailest, weakest lords in series history!

She has staves and Thani, which makes her better than Leif, Roy, lyn, and new Marth, at least.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Why use horses when you can get horses with wings?

Because I like strength and defense.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Fergus?!?!?

And carrion, while by no means Fergus (isn't his PCC like 5 or something?!? Ps why does that stat even exist), is still pretty good.

Mostly though just reminding everyone that the fanslators decided to name a guy carrion.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

FE 4 also had a couple of relatively big time skips in the first 5 chapters, making offscreen romantic development more plausible.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Yo those Gaidan redesigns loving own can we have that guy do all the art from now on?

Plus more votes for the Marty Party c'mon guys.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

She'll probably do art for the next remake, if there's another one. But yes, Hidari is really good. here's a hidari appreciation post.

[pictures]

Thank you for these examples of the work of this Cool Artist. I should not have assumed she was male.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

she was the captain of a recon squad in the freege army. she realized the child hunts were going on and turned traitor. some random dude who looks like the white haired guy from haikyuu locked her up for that. her boyfriend, fred, busted her out, and they both joined leif's army. later her brother gave her a ridiculously broken tome that had 15 mt, 60 uses, and a brave effect.

She starts with Daimthunder or gets it real soon, I think. Her brother gives her a completely broken sword, no? Which I think breaks the record for most PRF weapons on a secondary character.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

olwens an interesting character from a design perspective because she gets her broken prf weapons but has pretty trash bases for a pre-promote.

also for some reason there's a character you can only recruit if shes dead

Eyrios would be a solid pick for the Vanguard of the Working Class team. Resentful of the nobility, doomed to death in most runs because he can't compete with a daughter of the nobility who is given disgustingly overpowered heirlooms.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Grozz Nuy posted:

Path of Radiance is a good game and Radiant Dawn is not

Radiant Dawn has the best map design in the series other than Thracia, fight me.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Playing through Thracia. Leif procs Mov on his second level up, and Marty gets speed on his first. Guess that means I'm using the bandit this run.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Mysticblade posted:

Eliwood gets to bounce off Hector and Lyn though. I also feel like he gets a bit more plot interactions and drama, but it's been a while since I payed attention to FE7's story.

He gets shoehorned (not forced but likely based on support points) dragon romance plus MY DAD IS DEAD and I KILLED MY GIRLFRIEND deep emotional pathos scenes.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Valuable item paralysis. Who should get the elite manual?

Thinking of giving wrath to Karin cause she needs the offensive help.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Gave the Paragon scroll to Carrion last time. It worked out great, but thought I'd switch things up.

Asvel has already hit like level 15 on account of eating a lot of high level enemies with Grafcalibur.

Mareeta sounds like a good bet though. I think I pick her up in one or two chapters. Good point about the paragon sword though, so maybe I should just give her that.

Incidentally, I figured I'd give Tanya a bit of time, and she's surprisingly... okay? Mostly she brings really high accuracy to the table, and can double stuff with a steel bow, making her offense decent. Not going to win the game, but worth subbing in on occasion when better units are resting.

Edit: I learned the hard way that Carrion does not, in fact, start with the elite sword my first playthrough. Wasn't using a guide and never talked to Selphina with him.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

But what if you need the elite sword later
!!!!!!!

Then I will steal the second one from that guy in Cias' River Crossing Adventure.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Help Tanya has the same amount of magic as [promoted] Asvel. But Asvel is still great because he's procced movement twice.

Question: does in the pre-battle store buy things for less prices than on-map stores? Because I have a lot of dark tomes to unload.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Speaking of old games, can I just say that the Leif/August/Dorias dynamic in Thracia is really good? August already is much better than any other 'advisor' type by being a kind of shady, highly pragmatic guy. And then Dorias arrives with a much more traditional Fire Emblem mindset, and they get to have lots of nice arguments without a clear winner. It's not like Dorias is the good guy either; I just got the scene where he absolutely tears into Miranda's dad right in front of her.

The payoff is real good too. For the first time in the game, August and Dorias agree on something. Leif decides that no, he's a JRPG protagonist and he's not going to listen to their caution. Oops, they were totally right and now Dorias and half your army are dead!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

drat that is some nice character design and art.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I thought Banner Saga was fantastic, so fence sitters might want to at least look at a stream or something.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Went through the demo -- filled out the form, so some of this will be redundant.

Overall character balance was good. Outside of edge cases (soldiers with javelins, killing edge crits, Judith versus knights/cav), on hard mode no one was 1RKO'ing with any reliability, which opens up a lot more space for different character archetypes. Martin was pretty much a knight on a horse, charging ahead, drawing out all the enemies, and taking them to half health. Then the rest of the squad could clean up. Lily was very usable for an early game archer, with her high speed and decent MT on bows. So good on that. The two mages felt weak though -- at no point did I feel that I was deploying them as assets, only to get them xp. If no one is ORKO'ing, I expect everyone to bring something else unique to the table. Neither could tank; Rose could hit for high damage at ~80%, and Fia could sometimes double for about the same damage total, but that's all. Their anti-knight power was redundant with Judith, Lily had higher accuracy, damage, and doubling chance, and 1-2 range was done better by Martin, Angus, and Ferris.

Map design was solid early game stuff. Lots of enemy and weapon variety, which was good. I liked how many maps encouraged splitting up your forces, which usually makes more the most intense early-game moments. Difficulty was not quite at HHM level, but once devs give it another sweep and add in additional spawns, I expect it to be perfect. Speaking of which, 5x was a ton of fun, so if that is an indication of where maps are going in terms of terrain, objectives, and enemies, I'm excited. Bosses were all at least a little threatening.

Plot was good. There were a lot of faces with no context in the court scenes, and even although more info is provided on the Emperor and the evil-looking paladin, I still have no idea who the rest were or what their relation to the plot is. My one issue is that there was no "face" to the villains -- no Valter or Petrine to spur the heroes onward with villainy, no ominous figure directing minions like Nergal's morphs. We have "Master Grigorious" name-dropped, but that's it.

Super excited to see more when it comes out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

I just did chapter 4x in FE5 and when I first saw Ced last chapter in a cutscene I figured maybe you'd recruit him and he'd be a mid level unpromoted mage and find Forseti somewhere in this game before showing up in gen 2 of FE4 as an unkillable beastlord speed demon but no even now he's promoted and has Forseti already so I guess the narrative is just that Ced is eternally badass.

The little cantrip he teaches Asvel is the second-best tome in the fake, behind Forseti itself. And if you thought FE4 Ced was nuts, imagine him with a healthy stock of captured staves and no divine-weapon holding enemies.