Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You also get Lucina at the very least, who is usable with a little grinding, especially since she always starts off with Aether.

Avatar, Chrom, Lucina, Libra, Say'ri, Basilio, Flavia, Tiki... I guess potentially Henry and Cherche since you get them after Chapter 11 and they're perfectly usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wind God Sety posted:

Wait your argument is that prepromotes are objectively awful because they're really good? How does that make any sort of sense?

You get less levels and thus less cursing at the RNG, which is 70% of all FE games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

Honestly at this point with 90% of my primary team coupled up already while also being quite overleveled for their missions, I wish there was an easier and simpler way of pairing up characters. I want to see all of the supports without having to spend hours with reeking boxes in underleveled areas dammit. I paired a lot of my main team with people that would make sense with each other (Riken - Lissa, for instance) but sometimes I just want to see what happens when I pair Riken with, say, Tharja. I wish there was a way to see the supports for those too.

There are support transcripts out there - there's one on GameFAQs as well as individualized ones on the Fire Emblem wiki.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Validar is one of the weirdest bits in the game.

Not that he's a crappy villain. Not even that most of the other antagonists are much better than him.

It's that the game knows he's a crappy villain, but still gives him almost a third of the game as the driving force. I mean, Basillo gives him a speech about how, really, he's poo poo at this whole evil mastermind bit. He almost gets killed in the first act, and is only saved by divine intervention. It's not even like Kai Leng where it feels like internal conflict between "He's a badass ninja and he's SO COOL" and "Seriously? This stupid fucker is one of our lead villains? Well, if we can't get him cut from the plot we can at least have him look like a tosser" factions.

It's just odd.

It gets even weirder when you add Aversa into the mix. She's his 'daughter' and at the end of the game is fiercely loyal to him... but she serves Gangrel for the first act and seems to have no connections to Validar even when he gets porked in the botched assassination. Only towards the end that the family angle comes out of nowhere.

You could call it as Validar being the real mastermind, Gangrel being a puppet leader and Aversa there to keep an eye on him, but then that makes Validar even stupider to lead the charge against Emmeryn.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

This might be an actual argument for Dancers if it weren't for the fact that pretty much every character in the game can kill nearly anything in one round by themselves by chapter 10.

Assuming you're not grinding, then Lissa, Maribelle, and chances are, Donnel. If RNG doesn't favour you, Sumia, Sully, Virion and Stahl would also have trouble.

Really, Olivia isn't a perfect unit, but there's no need to get hyperbolic. She's far from the worst unit in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HiKaizer posted:

Oh excellent, chapter three has archers who will overkill my poor pegasus knight. I thought hard mode would be normal, but apparently I was mistaken. I'm not opposed to the challenge mind you, but seeing 22 damage to my 18 HP unit is vicious.

Use X to see all enemy attack ranges and park Sumia just outside their attack range. Then pair her up with Frederick/Kellam/Stahl/Vaike, fly in and use your superior speed to double and kill the archer.

Being able to see enemies' attack range is an invaluable tool in this game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I started a new game of Awakening and Miriel has gained no points in Magic for 5 levels. :shepicide:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

Horrifying. In somewhat related news, somehow Sumia's strength and magic are both at least 10 points below those of Lissa and Olivia, the other two Dark Fliers. :negative: I don't know how she managed to fall behind that much.

Sumia just seems to end up that way, sadly, unless you get lucky with her growths; she has a 40/35% chance of getting Str/Mag when levelling up as a Dark Flier. Lissa has a 30/50% chance, while Olivia gets a 45/40% chance.

If you transitioned her directly from a Pegasus Knight, it's likely she'll have had less good levels compared to Lissa and Olivia, who have to change classes at least once to get to Dark Flier.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Level 11 Miriel with 7 Magic.

What are the odds of Miriel only getting a single Magic gain in 10 levels? :v:

I've got a couple Second Seals and while I'm saving one for Donny, I've got a mixed bag of options for the second one. Sumia to Knight, Kellam to Thief, Virion to Wyvern Rider or Gaius to Myrmidon. I was going to pop one on Miriel to turn her into a Dark Mage but after her absolutely horrid run of levels...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've got a spare Second Seal around, so which of these should I use?

-Panne to Wyvern Rider
-Nowi to Wyvern Rider
-Miriel to Dark Mage (bear in mind she's only had 1 Magic gain since level 1)
-Vaike to Barbarian
-Other?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's slightly amusing when you have Gregor marry Cordelia and in their Rank C conversation Severa mentions they're probably about the same age.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Shortest Path posted:

Does the +5 really end up making that much of a difference compared to the utility skills? I guess there really isn't much else for them, any of the mastery skills are redundant with Vengeance and Galeforce is useless.

Thanks!

e: For the record I have Noire, Morgan, and Gregor!Laurent all running identical builds, so this is nice for them.

There really isn't much else that would really work in that slot - maybe Deliverer or something passive like Counter or Wrath, but there isn't that much that a Sorcerer desperately needs, they're pretty much the best class in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You could just make Cynthia a Sorcerer, they're essentially the most broken class in the game.

As for Awakening incest, you could have Lucina and Owain S support each other, as well as some other combination with Morgan or Kjelle if he/she was a descendant of Chrom/Lissa. The game terms them as Companions instead of Husband/Wife in that case, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Shortest Path posted:

I guess that's true, but she doesn't have access to Vantage or Armsthrift so again she'd be strictly worse than the four fully tricked out Sorcerers I already have. It's kind of a shame that she ends up getting screwed over by lack of options compared to the rest of the cast, and her one good father option (Chrom) is so much better elsewhere.

Actually I think Henry is her best dad - Gaius just overkills her with a speed overdose and while Chrom passes down Aether, which is nice, Cynthia doesn't desperately need it and Lucina has better mothers. Henry can give Cynthia an exclusive skill from the Barbarian line, and allows access to Lifetaker, Dual Support+ and Tomebreaker. He also gives her more Magic in case you want to keep her as a Dark Flier.

Momomo posted:

The only thing that implied incest was that they were twins.

Also, I don't really remember any in Awakening. Who is it that you can pair up?

Lucina/Owain, Owain/Kjelle (fathered by Chrom), and Morgan using uncle/aunt shenanigans, or Owain/Morgan if she was fathered by Chrom.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 11, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the subject of tomes, what about one that hits twice, similar to Celica's Gale from Awakening? Would be a good successor to the Brave-style weapons too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gay relationships possible!

Sorry if this was already posted.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

Oh? That's useful. Not sure who I would pair Fredrick with. Unfortunately I did get Donny but I failed to level him up that level at the moment he is tagging along with Stahl and trying and mostly failing to get kills where he can...

Characters with low defense, like Sumia or Miriel, are ideal beneficiaries of Frederick as a partner. Sumia/Frederick really plows through a good portion of early-game maps outside of archers due to the mobility and offense the pair provides. Cordelia makes it even better.

Awakening actually has decent growths all around, I mean Vaike has some really RNG growths and Maribelle is basically paper, but even ehh characters like Virion turn out to have some solid growth rates if you want to raise them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

Ok. I will switch things up a bit. How do you guys handle supports?

1. Im not sure which supports I should be pairing up and favoring.
2. Do you clump up as many support capable characters as possible during actions to boost support? That seems to really limit the amount of choices you have in strategy doesn't it? Or is the support bonus only really relevant to pairs?
3. Any other advice regarding supports? I am realizing I have no idea what I am doing.

1. You don't have to worry so much about supports. Just make sure as many pairs as possible can build supports with each other, then got nuts. Ideally you want most of the girls to eventually reach S-rank with a guy, but it's not a big rush. Note that Chrom will automatically get an S-rank at the end of Chapter 11 with whoever he has the highest support with out of Sully, Sumia, Maribelle, Olivia or a female Avatar.

2. That's not a big deal. It can help if you really need multiple bonuses, but otherwise just spread them out if you need to. Support building doesn't take that long, and there's no deadline to build them.

Artificer posted:

Do forts have infinite reinforcements? Or can I tank up in the corner of the map and hold off attacks until they run dry?

They have finite reinforcements.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rough Lobster posted:

Haha the first time I played through Awakening, I bothered to get Donny up to 30 before Second Sealing him as I didn't know you could effectively give units infinite levels. I reclassed him to Merc and half his stats were maxed out right out the gate.

Wait if you got him to 30 why didn't you just reclass him to a promoted unit?

Speaking of crap units, I've never ever made Olivia work. The last time I thought, 'okay, maybe I'll take the time to level her up a bit' she got three levels where the only stat raised was Luck. She's so bad, even for a Dancer. Maybe next playthrough...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

I had a hell of a time using her in any capacity without accidentally having enemy units pour out of forts and then murdering her.

I ended up eventually clearing the forts and then grinding her dancing and supports until level 15 before offing Gangrel. Hopefully she can dodge better now.

You can beat the game easily without her, it's up to you whether or not you want to take the time to baby her. Unlike Donnel, you won't get earth shattering results if you reclass her, but with a bit of RNG she's basically a second Lon'qu (or a really fragile Cordelia).

And you can reclass her at level 10, so you could do it now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Normie Slayer posted:

Reading up on Henry on the wiki makes it sound like he was altered from the Japanese version. He's a lunatic in the US version, but the wiki makes him sound more... somber? In the Japanese version.

Speaking of Henry, I regret marrying someone else with Tharja, they would have been perfect.

Yeah, Henry's less funny in the Japanese version. Similarly Gregor didn't have an accent or weird speech patterns, he was just an old man who could fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

You want at least one healer. You get a healer on a horse later but it's kind of hard to get by without somebody patching up wounds. vulneraries can only get you so far.

You also run into two desert maps about 5 maps after you get said healer on a horse, so you definitely want to keep Lissa around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hah at Eliwood being the only lord from his game not making it in.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well, you see, she's actually 1000 years old! She just looks like a 10 year old! And acts like a 10 year old!

I married her to gregor on my first playthrough because I married most people based off of them joining at similar times.

Why would you doom Libra by marrying him to Tharja?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

epitasis posted:

hows the virion/cordelia support does he at least distract her from chromlust with baubles or something

He identifies all her problems and in the end they fall in love or something.

Cordelia/Gregor is in my opinion her best marriage in terms of supports. Her Frederick supports are okay if you stop at A, go to S and you get sadness.

Honestly Gregor/anyone is pretty great. Just not Nowi because he deserves better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

alcharagia posted:

from a eugenics standpoint donny is actually p. bad but from an awesomeness standpoint donny is the ultimate warrior

He gives a high Luck modifier if you really want to maximize Armsthrift, but his penalties to other stats means it's rarely worth it or you want something like min-maxing a stat for whatever reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't believe there was a paralogue to recruit Yen Fay and not Cervantes.

They couldn't make a confession CG worthy of the moustache.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AlphaKretin posted:

Yes, in Awakening, but I meant the characters from the postgame chapters, not the legacy characters.

Walhart has a unique class and Aversa has a unique skill. Priam has a unique combination of skills, and Emmeryn's a decent Sage. None of them will beat a good kid, but they're not horrible.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chiasaur11 posted:

Just increase everyone else's speed, and Stahl should catch up.

Stahl's only holding back on gaining speed because of Kellam.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
At least you can do something like pair Stahl with Cherche and have an unmovable tank against physical assaults.

Nothing has been able to save Maribelle's puny Def growth for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Terper posted:

I'm gonna do an Awakening run where everyone I use has to reclass as soon as they're able to, and only once. Who should I use and what should I reclass them to?

Chrom will be an Archer. Undecided on my Avatar. Guy or girl, who do I marry, and what to reclass into?

Make Kellam a Thief and promote to an Assassin. Best silent killer.

In all seriousness it gives him much needed speed while still keeping his favourable Defense growth.

Miriel to Dark Mage is also a solid option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artificer posted:

Would a severely underleveled Lon'Qu be able to handle that? Or should I stick to skirmishes for him at least for now?

It depends on where they pop. If they're popping in the Chapter 1 locations anyone that can attack should be able to handle them, they just get harder as they go up along the map.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Birthright also has the benefit of Ryoma, one of the best prepromotes ever. He's just less good in Rev because he needs a ferry.

I wish you didn't have to wait so long to get his son though. Shiro is A+ best kid and is in a class the game could really use more of. For the same reason I'm sad no other kids start in Oni Savage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think some of them still keep their unique colour scheme. For instance, Benny as a General still had black armour.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

Yeah, but the people they limited them to were dumb.

Like Chrom having a support with Olivia when you literally cannot see their regular supports if you marry them.

And Sumia could definitely have used more and with more interesting people than Frederick and Gaius.

Chrom marrying Olivia instantly unlocks their full support log, I believe.

Sumia they definitely dropped the ball on though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For me the good kids are Shiro, Soleil, Forrest, and Shigure/Caeldori/Mitama are alright.

The rest are just kinda... there. Kiragi makes for a nice foil to his dad but that's about it.

Kana's an absolute disappointment after Morgan.

I'm actually surprised Caeldori ranked so low, considering how well Cordelia was received.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 16, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shura got the raw end of the deal, only neutral unit to be Corrinsexual.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

Is there someone that counted up how many total conversations one of the paths have, not counting gender differences?

Storyline or support convos? Because the latter one can be mathed out to a point. In fact, since I have a spot of free time:

There are eight neutral units, not counting Corrin. Two of them (Shura and Izana/Fuga) are Corrinsexual. Birthright has nineteen more first-gen units, Conquest has eighteen. Of that set, Birthright has three Corrinsexuals (two female, one male), Conquest has two (one female, one male).

Starting with Birthright:

Corrin can at the very least A-rank all 27 units. That's 81 convos. Since there's one more male than female, female Corrin has an additional 14 potential S-rank convos, male Corrin has 13. Note that all the Corrinsexuals (and second-gens that aren't Kana) have different supports with Corrin depending on their gender, so if you wanted to count unique supports that's another wiggle.

Between the non-Corrin first-gens that can support each other, there are eleven male-female pairs. That's 484 potential conversations in total, including S-ranks. You can remove 4 since the royals can't marry each other, but they do have A-rank conversations, so 480.

Then we have to bring in friendships, which is where it becomes a pain, and I don't actually have the time right now to do that bit. Each character has three friendships within their own gender, except the neutral units, who are going to have specific cases, since they can have anywhere from one to three depending on path.

After that, there's second-gen. Five neutral kids (three male and two female), and eight kids on each path, with an even four-four gender split. Kana also screws up the whole math again. If you take out the copy-paste conversations each kid has with their mom and Shigure (if they're siblings) it should be a lot less of a headache. Luckily you don't have the same royal issue as in the first-gen, since all the royal kids are male.

Conquest is pretty similar, except you have one less Corrinsexual. Problem is that the Corrinsexuals get friendship convos with the neutrals (Flora with Felicia and Gunter with Jakob).

Revelation is that whole new kettle of fish. Everyone that's not neutral gets a new friendship set and two new romance sets. Izana is replaced by Fuga. Yukimura and Gunter can't be supported (since one doesn't exist and the other because of plot). Scarlet can get supports, so if you want to count her go ahead.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 26, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Boo Camp is your best bet I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Getting Rhajat means someone has to marry Hayato, which is a fate no woman should have to be subject to.

I think his only S supports that are kind of okay are Sakura and Kagero.