Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Endorph posted:

Boy, now all we need is incestchat and we can get into every 'creepy' topic that people nonetheless rush to discuss.

You forgot FE's very own Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Come on, you can't mention that without [http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534931&pagenumber=3#post412804774]linking to it[/url]. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Microcline posted:

Any unit has the ability to be lovely. The thing is that in most runs Hector is going to end up having all the advantages of a knight (crazy def) and a warrior (good HP and strength) with none of the weaknesses (decent agility and not weak to anti-armor). A good Lyn is still just a myrmidon (and like a myrmidon has many more ways of being stat-screwed) and I don't even know if there's such a thing as a good Eliwood.

Didn't Artix have a good Eliwood for one of his runs?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

Hmm, so I purchased Fire Emblem Awakening and decided to play on Hard since I've played a number of Fire Emblem games before. I'm on mission 3 so far and constantly restarting, because people keep dying in turns one or two. Is there any basic non-spoiler advice I should know? I am still getting the hang of this partner system and I'm unsure if it's advantageous or not.

It's most definitely advantageous. I suggest keeping everyone close and highlighting your enemies' ranges so you don't put too many guys in harm's way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

HiKaizer posted:

Wait, really? That blows my mind if it's true.

Technically yes, but it's a little harder to get on Hard mode and absolutely ridiculous to get on Lunatic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dubious posted:

So FE:Awakening is my first game in this series. I love it but constantly feel strapped for money about 5 hours in. Is this what to expect or is there a point I can grind for it?

Sell all of your Bullions, but unless you're going out of your way to buy reeking boxes and grind, you pockets won't be lined with gold. You don't really need it, anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Wire me the 255 so I can name the avatar Santangelo.

Well I'll be damned, that just barely fits. Wire her the money! :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Phone posted:

Apparently I'm bad at eugenics. I had the Avatar marry Miriel and Chrom married Sumia.

THE GENE POOL HAS BEEN TAINTED BY SUBOPTIMAL PAIRING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also I'm leveling Donnel up to 30 because he must be at the stat cap on most of his stats for at least 5 levels.

For what it's worth, Sumia is one of the better mothers for Chrom's child, last I checked. Also Miriel could work as a wife if your strength was in Mag so that your avatar's children are magical WMDs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

bobjr posted:

Basically Henry went from "Guy who smiles to hide a sad past" to "Haha Death is funny" and apparently some people think that's a bad thing.

Edit: Beaten, but I can't imagine why someone would think the 8-4 Henry is worse.

I think the people who think the change is worse are the kind of people who would only ever accept 1:1 direct translations because :japan:.

Hell, those people probably think localized Gregor is a travesty compared to the boring and generic old man he originally was characterized as.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

The only thing that implied incest was that they were twins.

Also, I don't really remember any in Awakening. Who is it that you can pair up?

Lucina + Owain is the easiest one. The other one is if you have Chrom marry Olivia or Maribelle, then you as a male avatar marry Lucina for a third gen Morgan and have her pair up Inigo/Brady. I checked and the game DOES write it up as a "Companions" bond though!

Edit: fb, kinda. We both missed Chrom!Cynthia + Owain. Does Lucina!Morgan + Owain count too?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Well hey it's better than that Fire Emblem game where they give you an Axe as a reward and you have no Axe users in that game

That same game also gave you a legendary lance right before you're thrust into several maps where the only lance users you have are Generals because FE3 forced mounted units to dismount and lose their ability to wield lances because they're indoors.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A lot of paralogues only show up when you marry your characters, so that's one thing. As for spotpass chapters, I think there's an option in the menus to enable them? I'm not sure, it's been a while.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

...12? Or are we talking about a non FE game?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

FE7 is separated into different parts right? People keep saying Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector mode, so I assume that is the case. Will I be using totally different units in each one?

I have reached the part where I'm learning about items that upgrade my units, is there a limited amount of these, and is it recommended to try and get my units to level 20 before I use them?

edit: Errr... do I HAVE to give the knights crest to this old man? He seems cool but I don't know. I don't seem to have a choice though

Yes. Lyn's story is the prologue, Eliwood is the main route and when you finish, you can do Hector's route, which is Eliwood's but with more chapters and features Hector as the protagonist. There are no unique units, save for like 2 in Hector's route. I believe you can buy promotion items from secret shops and yes, get to level 20 first. And yes, the knight's crest is forced on Wallace.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cavaliers are great for basically just being Pair-Up fodder because they (well, Paladins) have great pair up bonuses.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Are we counting Jagen and Arran in the FE3 remakes? If not, then I think Old Man Marcus is the last Jeigan unit in the series.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I don't have a ton of love for Awakening like some people, but I was kind of looking forward to a Tharcia 776-style side story with Lucina. Fighting a losing war was just about the coolest premise for an FE ever even if FE5 didn't do it perfectly.

Oh well. More Fire Emblem is still some Good poo poo.

I'm not sure that they'd wanna revisit that plotline after doing it in DLC though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

The FE13 attack screen had a place for dual attack/dual guard rates even when you weren't paired up or next to anyone, right? The battle forecasts in that trailer didn't have any.

Yeah, I remember that. Looks like Pair Up might be dead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I hope the No More Heroes guy stays as the art guy for Fire Emblem, he has a really nice art style.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

I doubt it. BEHOLD!

I'm not entirely sure what these are trying to show me other than jump attacks have a hilarious mid-frame and barbarians wear assless chapless chaps.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, FE4 has a timeskip halfway through for the Gen 2 story.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not if you count the grunts and "HA!" from SSB.

I mean c'mon, ha is international.

Those were from his Japanese VA.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Revitalized posted:

Why is Radiant Dawn so expensive :(

I just want to play more Fire Emblemmmmmmm

Hopefully it'll hit the Wii U eShop so people can play it for a reasonable price. :ohdear:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So would that Sophia be able to hurt Martin?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

that's definitely not stahl's hair color.

That's Nowi's. All the kids, except Inigo, all have a "default" hair color for their official art because their fathers are determined by the player. The defaults are usually based on their mother's hair.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

I think you mean the BersCorsaers. :colbert:

Please tell me Awful Emblem is adding those as a new class.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Limited reclassing was pretty fun for seeing other aspects of certain characters, even if the options were just for flavor as opposed to actually being good. Stuff like Panne and Lon'qu being able to become thieves because they were homeless and had to survive off whatever they could get and Kellam being able to become a thief because no one could catch him stealing anyway are little fun quirks that I like a lot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

littleorv posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on how to properly promote and reclass units in Awakening? I'm doing a second play through and I never once re lasses a unit I don't think. I only promoted them once they hit level 20

To min-max effectively, reclass once the unit has obtained all the skills from that class branch that you want them to get and promote once the unit has leveled up to either 20 (if you're not reclassing) or gotten to level 10 at least twice (if you are).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

Excuse me, he was everything screwed. :colbert:

I'm always infinitely more amused by the Lyn from that run.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think the nose is a bit high up, her right cheek looks really rounded, the eyes don't look level with each other and the shading looks a bit off to me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Nah, it was Different Dimensions: Ostian Princess. I've taken to remembering it by its acronym, FEDDOP.

Please go read that LP if you haven't yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Was FEDDOP the hack that featured BersCorsairers or was that another one?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Wait what

I think they meant you can choose your gender at the start, not that you can spontaneously use a Gender Seal or something and change mid-battle.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahahaha I can't wait to see how absurd the head censors will get.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Does the new game actually have a pokemon red/blue thing going on or are there just alternate box arts?

It's more of an Oracle of Ages/Seasons kind of thing where each version tells a different story after the first 6 chapters. Imagine if they sold Sacred Stones as two games with one version following Eirika after the route split and the other following Ephraim.

Of course, everyone not in Japan will probably not have to worry about multiple versions.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

So, since I don't want to doublepost in the Awakening thread, I'll ask here-- I've got most of my units paired up for this playthrough, except for a combination of Lissa, Maribelle, Ricken, Libra, Tharja, and Henry, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out who to match to who for maximum fun. Any ideas?

I say Lissa and Henry and do whatever for the other two pairs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dolash posted:

If you can't Aether your way to victory regardless of what the smart-folk numbers in the talky-box say, you are unworthy of Ike. :colbert:

Also it never occurred to me during Awakenings that with the whole marrying off thing you're deciding who'll be kings, queens, princes and princesses. What happens to the characters from the future at the end of the game? Do they stick around? Because, uh, that's going to screw with the royal succession once they're actually born in the proper timeline.

That'd probably screw with the kids' heads, too, if your parents were friends with time-traveling you from the future who helped save the world. Talk about setting a high bar.

Geeze, the whole time travel thing starts to wobble quite a bit if you think about it for even a minute, doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's explicit that the kids just stick around in the current timeline because they don't have any way to go back.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why are you people surprised that Nintendo games keep their value, this isn't a new thing. Nintendo games tend to sell really well even at full MSRP so they never have any real reason to cut prices.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

Another Kozaki birthday sketch, just Seliph this time.

Man why couldn't Kozaki be the SMTxFE artist.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Terper posted:

Arden ala Kozaki.

Hot drat he doesn't look completely ugly! He looks like he could be Gregor's brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You're not doing a very good job of turning people off from this game if there's a man named GOKUH.

Edit: now that I've seen one update of that LP, wow that looks loving atrocious.