Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Amppelix posted:

What's the progression here? Is there anything stopping you from marching to the throne and seizing besides the promise of shiny loot?

Oh, wait. I'm making assumptions. I guess the first question would be, where do you start?

There could be thieves that unlock the side doors, along with stronger forces down the sides ready to flood out and trap you in a pincer. That combined with chest thieves giving you a loot time limit, and the maps ample room for reinforcements could make just charging down the middle a death trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Hunt11 posted:

This might count as a spoiler but it should be fine. Judith will be the only unit stuck in the lower right corner in a chapter that can only be ended by seizing the throne whilst the units not trapped will have to contend with endless reinforcements.

FPzero posted:

Artix, remove the Rescue staff from Chapter 3 if you do this. :v:

To add insult to injury, the game will be coded to give you a rescue staff at the unreachable end of the mission.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The tutorial forces you to move Wil to shoot at a guy behind a wall and then have Florina fly over the wall and hit him. Any way around this :shrug:

Lyn hard mode is still easy, but disables all the tutorials. Useful for if you want to actually use that knight crest wallace comes with properly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Good lord, the dude is a zero effort version of alfa's Nino. And if he's got a decent staff rank...
seriously though, with those defensive stats enemies won't touch him and that elixer should outlast them easily.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I liked the characters not having their old weapon ranks. It made it feel more like I was actually working within the confines of what I was given. As for the rebalancing, the only thing I really noticed was that Pent kind of sucked, and, well, I've used Pent in every single one of my 20+ runs of the game, the man could use a break.

Speaking of, I won't flood the thread, but here's what I got for my run. Note the complete lack of thieves/assassins. That was fun.

Man, your athos was the only one with >25 str/magic. It's the attack of the balanced/speedy untits

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Wouldn't the better fix be to have the soldier go straight to a promoted class? Paladin, in this case?

They tried that first, but it was literally just a downgraded cavalier at that point. Not that super god cavalier is really any better though. To make soldier work they really need to pull in one of those halberdier spritesheets since it wasn't intended to be a promoted class.

Or just axe the idea because pc soldiers are kinda dumb.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Nephenee disagrees. :colbert:

I think the fact that she's the only memorable one they made just argues the point. Doubly so when you realize that she was only interesting because of wrath. The class just doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table compared to other classes.

I'd be super game for Intelligent systems to try to make the class stand out some, because the idea of a lowly grunt becoming a hero is fun. In the context of the randomizer mod though, I just don't see a way to include it as a player class without losing the intent of playing through fe7 with things mixed up. The class isn't designed to function as a pc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Last time someone wanted to fix the translation, all of serenes dogpiled them, so no.

wat? Do they just hate usable interfaces or something?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Went ahead and played a couple chapters, looks pretty good so far. I just hit the first level with peg knights, and the Flight Lance seems to have its description cut off by one character(flier instead of fliers?) You guys have done a great job so far, it really feels like I'm just playing a new fire emblem game. I love the enemy descriptions on some of the bosses, it's good to know that the people I'm killing are horrible puppy kicking monsters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Just make sure you use the resolve scroll as soon as you can, because by god that thing was broken in PoR.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Sothe's RD bases are ridiculously good and he really doesn't need any stats. And since his stats transfer as-is it can sometimes result in lower stats in important areas like Defense or Strength.

I'm pretty sure it only transfers if it's better than his bases.

e: looked it up, guess not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

In case anybody cares, there's now a TAS of FE11. Generally less entertaining than the GBA TASes (surprise surprise), but notable in that the game can be beaten in 12 minutes even without crazy luck manipulation (which is largely impossible in that game).

drat, I forgot just how many warp staves that game gave you. Also, for a tool assisted run you could in theory have the best rng manipulation of all the games in the series because you could set the clock with perfect precision allowing you to cherry pick the exact seed you want for your run.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In general in my opinion axefighters tend to wreck the early game in just about any fire emblem, only really hitting trouble after promotions. Bows aren't exactly a huge game changer outside of a range 3 attack at strength 30 and it's just such a lackluster promotion benefit compared to every other class. I still use them because it's fun to smash generals to shreds with an ax to the face.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'd say 2 just because the ranking system in that game was weird and it would probably provide the most variation from a normal run of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

but what do you give kieran

More axes!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The best unit in fe7 is hawkeye, because drat son do I love that sprite. Who cares if his actual number things were garbage?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I liked the pair up system, even if it's numbers where terrible. I mean, it gets to like what a 70/70% chance of bonus attack and a full damage null at high support ranks? Who thought that was a good idea?

But it made using a knight not involve pulling teeth and I could get them to the front line in a timely manner, so it gets my support.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

The problem was that Pair Up homogenized the poo poo out of all the classes because you could just slap two characters with different weaknesses onto each other, like a Knight and a Myrmidon for example, and do whatever you wanted with them while gaining experience for both. It removed a massive amount of strategy from the game because character selection didn't matter because every character would work in every situation, pretty much. Second Seals only compounded the problem, and the complete lack of interesting or difficult map designs certainly didn't help either, as far as homogenization goes.

Like I said, the numbers on it are terrible and you have no reason to not be using pairs at all times, but I like the concept.

Regy Rusty posted:

In my army everyone got married first and then proceeded to spend exactly zero time with their partner for the rest of the game.

This man knows how to army

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zore posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the way to fix Pair-Up is to remove the stat bonuses. That makes it a much more tactical thing and makes pairing people up a choice that is still good in some situations, but doesn't make you into a murder machine.

Eh, I think they'd be fine paired way the hell down. I don't think there is salvaging a percent chance to randomly take no damage or have a free attack that can also crit get added in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shoving is either the greatest, most amazing mechanic to ever reach fire emblem or entirely useless. That poo poo should make a comeback, chain shoving to get people ridiculous distances in a single turn is astoundingly fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Take it to its natural conclusion and add in Disgaea style character stacking. :v:

I'm honestly not sure if this is funnier than having your units tactically punch each other repeatedly so they can move farther.

CeallaSo posted:

I'm okay with this if it ends with clerics carrying cavaliers carrying knights.

Ok, I'm sold.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

Also she's from the country of Wyvern Riders and her bodyguard is one too. Spears make more sense than Anima/Light.

Please tell me that her promoted class involves being a true wyvern lord.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nifty.

It made me wonder if a low use/range 1 tome with the siege tomes uncounterable effect would be a fun weapon. Nice to see that you'll be fleshing out magic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

It bugs the poo poo out of me so I'm changing it.

That's honestly the best reason for such a change.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Momomo posted:

Gotta be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying the mounts aren't wyverns, but dragons? I'm not even sure what the difference between the two is even supposed to be, but it doesn't really seem like an issue. When do actual wyverns show up?

1&3/11&12 have them as actual enemy units. They're the high mobility flying type of dragon monster.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

For all the people that dislike the idea, just think of him as a blood offering to the rng. Shadow dragon can't have all the fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

and no shoving.

The worst part about all of the non radiant games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

Though as an aside, I was asked by another hacker for input on what to do regarding remaking FE7, sort or like what I'm doing for FE6. the main thing was to never go to Valor until the end.

This is incorrect, the most important thing to be done for fe7 is to make Hawkeye's stats as awesome as his sprite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you're gonna grind anyway, why not give the seal to a good unit and get the cool not fog of war map instead?

Because Wallace is bald and beautiful. And murders the poo poo out of an entire region of bandits off screen.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

lol no, but managing to have him attack and heal him despite the dragon having three range was far too difficult of a puzzle for me, because i was very dumb

You got to the end of the game without learning how to abuse rescuing? That's kind of impressive given how often it pops up in the menu.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

My point was I was not hacking the game when I got God Leonardo.

Hector is not Proto-Ike at all. Like... they have no overlapping character traits, besides having blue hair and kicking rear end.

Hector is a "SCREW YOU I DO WHAT I WANT" rough and tumble angry guy who kills dudes who gets in his way and lets his emotions rule him.

Ike, with the exception of the Black Knight, is a calm and focused mercenary who lets his emotions guide him, rather than rule him. And is in no way boistrous or rowdy like Hector.

I am confused about this comparison, because they're completely unlike one another. They're just both likable...

They both desperately want nothing to do with politics and leadership, preferring instead to just learn how best to hit things. But they both wind up stuck with it anyways. They're not the same character at all, but you can draw parallels.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

Oliver x Danved - Though I wonder why, he doesn't have any relationship with Danved. Maybe the latter heard of him from Devdan

He probably would have mistaken him for Devdan, Danved gets that a lot.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked that FE8 had an endless post-game mode where you could keep unlocking supports and eventually cap everybody's stats in theory. More Fire Emblems should have that. Awakening did. But, 7 was otherwise better.

I'm not a fan of grindy stuff in game, but being able to dick around after the game is done has been an enjoyable experience in both games that had more than two trial maps to play with your saviors of the world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Characters like Bartre are why I'm glad class changing has become a thing, because I love the character but man Fighters.

EDIT: Then again I am also a boring person who loves having as many Heroes and Swordmasters as possible so what do I know.

You are so close to being a good person, but the proper technique is to turn swords into axes, not the other way around. Except in shadow dragon onward where they take all the fun out of weapon diversity.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Armor Knights get a lot stronger when you progress through a map slowly!

The big problem with this is that fire emblem games tend to put you on a timer if you want the loot.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The ranking system in FE7 is double bullshit and should be extremely ignored.

But it promotes doing boring counter intuitive things like not selling gems and hoarding everything rather than playing with your toys!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Well there was very little sprite work to do for FE7, considering that most was just cribbed straight from 6. A bunch of characters got unique outfits as well.

Boo to whoever said Geitz was ungood when Geitz is in fact best axe man.

By the way, isn't the only way to promote Dart to use an easily missable item? It'd be fair to warn of that.

good point

For those playing fe7 and wishing to promote your pirate:
His promotion item is only available from being found in the desert chapter or from a single (secret?)shop in one of the branching maps.

e: the shop is secret and is in 23E(A)/24H(A) if you miss the ocean seal in Chapter 22E / 23H(The desert map)

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Artix posted:

Shop. Singular. As in, on the chapter before Light.

Shops works if you include the ocean seal like he did. It's in a different shop immediately after the desert mission. Assuming you take that branch anyways.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Everything I'm reading right here makes me dread promoting my units

The unit they're talking about purchasing is a Hector mode exclusive, so you're not going to need to worry about it on your first run.

The theif upgrade item is more of a side grade and the game gives you an rng proof assassin so don't worry about that too much.
Dart is the only real trap here seeing as how his upgrade item is basically unique and very hard to find without foreknowledge.
So in short don't fuss about it too much, just make sure to get a map showing where the ocean seal is hidden should you be using dart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mabels big day posted:

So how exactly do supports work in FE7? what do i need to do to make them trigger?

Cake Attack posted:

put two people next to each other, end turn a lot

Standard deal where only certain pairs can support each other as well. The game gives you a person who can check those match ups eventually. You need to be in Eliwood or Hector mode to do it at all.