Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I choose characters depending on if they have supports with the other people i'm using. Because it gives both mechanical benefits and character development. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked FE10's plot because it was dumb in ridiculous ways so I found it entertaining. FE8 was simply not ridiculous enough, though perhaps that is because my one play-through of the game was in Elrika's story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are cavaliers in Awakening actually any good? I have basically never used them in any run I've done, especially with Sully and what's his name being so lame on and off the field.

Awakening is easy on everything below lunatic, so all classes are good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Always use Soren, he is good. Just give him an energy drop and pray he gets lucky with his speed growth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why even bother making two scripts? It seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Not that the extended script seems to make much more sense, since the end of the second chapter has the Greil Mercenaries making preparations to go to Daein, but then it still goes into the Laguz Alliance stuff. The increased characterisation is appreciated though, and it reminds me that the second chapter is probably the best written part of the game, likely because it's largely disconnected from the rest of the story.

And on the previous topic I also kinda like how Elincia and Ike don't end up together in FE10, if only because of the novelty of a JRPG protagonist without a love interest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, obviously. But they don't come out and say it in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope they make better map designs. Also, that there are win conditions other than Rout the enemy.

That's all I want.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Never not a pegasus knight.

e: but the temptation of being a pegasus knight will probably outweigh the temptation to marry one.

You could marry a Pegasus Knight, as well as be a Pegasus Knight. No shame in having two in the army.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Eirika had at least a number of chapters devoted to her and they were pretty plot important. Lyn and Micky not so much.

Micaiah had all of Act 1 as the main Lord and I think at least 2 maps were fairly plot important. :shobon:

It's kind of shame she just got less and less prominent as the game went on because I enjoyed the novelty of playing as the enemy general who regrets the war and is sorry for the destruction they've caused but still does it anyway because they are intensely nationalistic and loyal to their king for no adequately explored reason.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

The 1st part of radiant dawn is worse than I thought. As in half the team being utter poo poo and the other half is good except you almost immediately get 5 people that are instantly better so why bother with the dawn Brigade outside of Nolan.

The answer is you don't because they are boring. Or you use them solely so that you can have more actually helpful units in Part 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is the last Dawn Brigade chapter really that hard? I don't remember ever having too much trouble on it and I never used Black Knight or Nailah because it just felt like cheating. The only time I feel the Dawn Brigade really struggle's is in their chapters in Part 3 and that may just be because I generally try to recruit Zihark and Jill back to the Greil Mercenaries because I like the dialogue.

I mean, not that the Dawn Brigade don't suck most of the time but unless you take them to the endgame I don't think they perform too badly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BrightWing posted:

The three good Dawn Brigade'ers are Micaiah (more because you're forced to take her, less because shes actually good, so you might as well) Nolan and Edward :colbert:

Michaiah is actually really good, it's just that she's got dumb plot promotions which means if you use her too much early on she'll be doing a whole lot of nothing for a chunk of the game. If you only give her kills sparingly though she's good for the whole game because Thani is just so good that even if you have her underlevelled she can still hold her own. And of course extra exp means that you can give her a few much needed levels immediately after her promotions.

Fire Emblem needs more mage Lords.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anatharon posted:

The avatar being the main lord would be weird, now that I stop to think that might be a possibility.

It might help to actually give the MU some personality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lotish posted:

Yes, because when I think Fire Emblem main lord, I think oodles of personality.

I've only played 7,8,9,10 and 13 but at least half of those Lords had more personality than Robin.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I never played female Robin because that would mean giving up female Morgan and that was not a trade I was willing to make.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The best balance I feel is to have unlimited supports but not make it so every character can support with every other character. Because that means there'll be less completely meaningless supports and the ones they do have can be more legitimately interesting.

Though unlimited supports in general is already kind of too good, because just having one A support can do so much to help a character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

so, exactly what awakening did? :confused:

Awakening gave most characters way too many supports leading to a lot of the support chains just being un-interesting and bland. If they lower the amount of support options each character has they can throw away a lot of the bland ones and only keep the ones that are actually good and develop the characters.

Although, Chrom had less support options and most of his sucked anyway. So maybe I just dislike a lot of the supports from awakening. :shrug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Marribelle gets all the best supports because she's the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am angry that they are going to split this game into two. Because even if they combine them for the American release I bet Europe will still have to buy them separately. :(

Also, I hope this time being a female Lord doesn't lock you out of getting the best character in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So what was that about a 3rd DLC campaign? I hope its just something extra and not the actual end to the story or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

She's a Wyvern Rider

But it looks like there could be a Female Barbarian, or Fabio Barbarian

We're never going to get a female fighter will we?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

We're never getting a male Pegasus Knight, either. There are as many male exclusive classes as female.

Well, there were until Dark Flier anyway.

Yeah, true. There's just not any female class that can solely use axes, which I dunno, is a thing i'd like. Though I guess War Clerics can kind of do that but in Awakening at least I always found promoting to Sage to be the more useful option.

Also, has anyone seen any Soldiers in that trailer? I hope they return.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Wyverns as of 13.

Oh yeah. Never mind what I said then. I guess I was just thinking that since the two mount-less axe-exclusive classes are male-only.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man Not!Japan has Pegasus Knights and a Female Beserker but the other side has challenge, and a War Cleric. The choice will be difficult.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, it seems that Nohr will have superior balancing and much more potential for an interesting story. But is it really worth it if i lose out on Pegasus Knights and a dapper Anime Butler?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

You get TWO maids in Nohr. The loss of that redheaded pegasus knight hurts but I'm willing to wait for my second playthrough.

First playthrough Nohr marrying the hottest anime dude available, second playthrough Hoshido marrying that chick, and third playthrough Neutral marrying the hottest anime dude of all.

Two maids don't amount to a butler. Three maids are barely a butler. It's just science

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm just going to play as a female and avoid all this nonsense.

Also, do we have any details on the support system yet? I'm assuming it's going to be just like Awakening's but better if only because we won't need to unlock people by having every female character reach an S rank. Unless they bring back time travel and kids, which I really hope they don't.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

You won't be avoiding anything because you have two brothers and two sisters on either side you choose

Wait. Really? But i've only seen people going on about the little sisters. It took me a day to realise there were apparently older sisters as well.

Not that it matters at any rate because it's not like the anime butler is related to the MC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

i'll be very upset if redhead pegasus knight and boobs wyvern rider are also your sisters.

Actually if the covers for the games are just your family and the butlers/maids. Then that's probably exactly what they are.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Awakening had way too many creepy and messed up pairings. I kinda don't want them to ever touch the idea again, really.

The ability to choose your own waifu is too much of a money-maker for them to throw away ever again.

(I also don't really want it to come back. But I think it's really likely)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it'd be ok if they just had it so that only the Avatar can get S ranks so thus all the people who enjoy the games for the relationship aspect (for some reason) can choose who they marry, while all the other characters just have regular supports with everyone else and don't get awkward jumps from having a close friendship at A to "I was madly in love with you all along" at S.

It'd be harder to balance how all that works though.

Edit:

Rhonne posted:

If your avatar character is supposed to be from Not-Japan, shouldn't s/he be a red head like the rest of them?

The main character is also a dragon so he's probably a special case.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Look, the internet told me all FE games have incest so if Ephraim and Elrika aren't then who could be?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Morgan/Inigo, and Morgan/Brady are also really good opposite gender supports. But that's probably because female Morgan is easily the best character in the game.

Awakening's problem is that a lot of the dialogue you're going to see in the game is just the generic conversations and they all have everything to do with the character's one note-gimmicks. A lot of the supports actually have them branch out a but the vast majority of the dialogue you'll see is really poor. Cordelia will only talk about Chrom, Kellam just wants to be noticed, Lon-Qu is afraid of women etc. Some characters have it good and get two gimmicks so Stahl will either talk about being hungry or about being average, Sumia likes Chrom and is clumsy, and Tharja is a stalker and also evil. The supports actually tend to be written much better even if most are kind of uninteresting because they needed to give every character like 20 supports.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Lon'Qu has some decent supports, like with Gregor, but it is hard to have a bad support with Gregor.

That's what I mean. A lot of characters come off as more interesting in supports than in the generic conversation you'll see frequently throughout the game. Unless you're like Kellam.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought Gaius and Maribelle's was pretty great.

Really surprising, too.

Gaius and Maribelle's support is one of the few i'd expect to see in other FE games because it's not just two characters interacting and actually fleshes out both of their pasts and motivations and has concrete character development.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hoshido is probably going to have the better story at least because I don't trust IntSys to handle a more complex story better than a simple one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am probably just going to play through both simultaneously so that I can argue about both games at the same time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Female Morgan is the best character in a lot of ways

In what ways is she not?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

According to some sites, Japan is getting the same option of a One Cartridge/buy all 3 in one digital package. So...is selling the split just a really weird way of testing the waters on where to take the franchise story-wise?

They're getting the complete version some time after the two single path versions are released. At least I think that's what people have been saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radiant Dawn was really fun despite its myriad of problems and would be in contendership for my favourite Fe game if it actually had supports. As is my favourite is probably POR, it is very good.