Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't have a smartphone. Mine is merely "somewhat clever" and thus I cannot get phone games on it, so no Heroes for me.

Instead, I am finally playing through Radiant Dawn for the first time after re-reading the LP on the archive.

And what the hell are you doing Aran, why do you have 20 speed as a 20/1 Halberdier?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I find it hilarious that with all of Folt's defense of the Sword Lord, he (unless I missed it) forgot to mention perhaps the simplest reason:

Swords are the most accurate weapon type. Axes are the least. By putting new players on the Sword end of the Triangle, it tips early game RNG the most in the player's favor - the player's already-high accuracy is boosted by the triangle, making them more likely to hit. The enemy's inaccurate axes suffer, making enemy bandits and brigands feel impotent before the power of your swords - potentially allowing a lance-user like Sain to demonstrate the other side of that coin.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I never claimed to be observant.

EDIT: Though to be fair, while he did mention the triangle advantage and the lowish skill of axe-users, he didn't elaborate on that, or on the fact that it's the advantage that puts the RNG the most in the player's favor compared to other triangle advantages.

Lances over swords, the sword still has decent accuracy, so you're still going to be taking a number of hits, though they'll be smaller. A sword advantage allows the player to take their Lord through entire maps of axe-users and rarely ever take a single hit.

So he MENTIONED and IMPLIED it, but didn't elaborate.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 12, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Zihark is slightly less RNG-vulnerable, so there's that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To be fair, in FE6 itself, upon retrieving Durandal, Roy comments on the size of the thing - and IIRC, they end up giving some sort of handwave about the weapons being special, and that it's not about strength to be able to wield the thing, but how *skilled* you are with a sword.

In other words, handwaving the issue of smol people wielding giant swords and explaining the "gotta have S-rank in swords to use it" all at once.

TL;DR: Magic weapons are magic, size is irrelevant.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
What hack even is this? Because this looks cool.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, Imma post this in both the Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors thread to hit both sides of the Crossover.

Fire Emblem Warriors. I adore the Dynasty Warriors series, I love the Fire Emblem series. However, I am *not* a huge fan of Fire Emblem: Fates. Considering roughly *half* the cast of FEW is Fates characters, do you guys think would it still be worth it for me?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hopefully there will be a FE Warriors 2, but with good characters instead

Preferably with characters from more than just three games. I fantasize about a FEW game with a great big roster of characters from all sorts of games, and playing on their gimmicks.

Wallace from FE7 announcing that he's going to intercept an enemy, only to start moving in the wrong direction.

Black Knight shows up on the field - a Tellius character panics, only for Hector to charge the guy. (Whether this is a good idea is another story)

Claude luring Ephraim into a trap. Ephraim's morale goes up instead of down.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The Arden thing reminds me of another thought.

What would be more terrifying, Black Knight in a Warriors game with a slow, pondering movespeed? Or The Black Knight full-on running?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I paired Byleth with Catherine in my first 3H run. (Golden Deer)

Fight me.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I still remembering seeing that there's a reverse-recruitment romhack of FE6 where starting stats and level are adjusted, but growths are untouched. Karel is the "Lord" (but is still a myrmidon I believe), but starts with almost no stats at all. Of course, being that it's FE6 Karel, that changes *quickly* if you can successfully feed him levels.

It also means Sophia is available a lot earlier, which makes her far more usable. Turns Niime into a magical Jeigan, too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

You really only need 1-2 mages and Golden Deer has two of the better ones. Lorenz has the problem of trying to do two things and not being that good at either.

On the plus side, there is absolutely zero question as to what Master Class he's eventually destined for.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
>Bonk Staff

I must play this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

Strong units. Weak units. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled FE players should try to win with their favorites.

>insert madman who tries to take Fiona, Heather and Tormod into endgame

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Walla posted:

That's second playthrough at minimum. You want a bow user just use the Nomad. If you kill him off in Lyn mode he gets better.

Uhh, what? Going from base Lyn Mode stats to Base Eliwood/Hector-mode stats (assuming Lyn mode is skipped or Rath is killed in Lyn's mode), he gains 2 levels. In those two levels, he gains 2 HP, 1 strength, skill, speed, and defense.

How does that make him "better" than if you got him some training in Lyn's mode? Unless he got below-average levels.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

I always feel bad for Lorenz because I want to not consign him to the bench for once, but him and Ignatz just consistently get garbage stats, no matter how much I try to make them good. The final nail in the coffin for Lorenz is that his relic is just so ridiculously suited for the already powerful Lysithea that it's not even funny. (Even moreso with the DLC, because you can stick her on a pegasus and just start loving carbet bombing people without fear)

The one good thing about Lorenz, statistically, is that you know right off the bat what Master Class he's destined for, because the three skills you need for it are the three skills he's good at. You basically just need to decide whether to make him a magic or physical unit until you get there and can feasibly do both; his magic and strength growths are the same outside of class growth modifiers, so he can do either one just fine.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rosalie_A posted:

Fire Emblem: The Cause of -- and the Solution to -- All of Smash's Swordsmen

This one puts a smile on my face.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Inu posted:

I just finished chapter 27 of FE7 with the snow and multiple rooms to open up. Man, that chapter took forever.

I also apparently opened the rooms out of order and had to send some units back to Merlinus to get door keys. If I hadn't had door keys in my convoy, or if I hadn't deployed Merlinus, I could have soft-locked myself and had to start the chapter over.

Assuming Hector mode, since 27 is Cog of Destiny in Eliwood mode.

Which version did you get, was Kenneth or Jerme the boss?

EDIT: Actually, checking the two maps, it sounds like you got Jerme. Either way, did you get Karel or Harken?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

bartre and dorcas aren't bad

Dorcas is horrible. His defenses are terrible, and his speed growth is a laughable 20%. Bartre's speed growth is a more passable 40%, but his base speed is a horrendous 3.

They're both bad units. Made worse by the fact that they compete for axes with the likes of Hector and Dart.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I tend to pair Vaike with Lissa for one reason and one reason only:

Owain without blonde hair is wrong.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I still prefer Vaike, because aside from Hair Color, it also goes a long way to explain Owain's dramatic flair.

(also, giving the man who is required by law to be a Swordmaster more strength is never a bad thing, IMO)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just love that he thrashes Robin in their "Totally not playing Fire Emblem" Strategy game - but points out that he isn't a good commander outside the game because he sacrifices too many units, whereas Robin is trying to win without losing anybody. Basically, Virion is the AI and Robin is the player.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I actually have an Aran who maxed out speed before promotion in a very old, rarely-touched RD file. It's a little scary.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm just gonna throw it out there, but whatever your other complaints about the Black Knight bursting out of that house, Imma just quote Fedule's old PoR LP here:

"This guy's mechanical presence is every bit in line with what the plot has been telling us about him."

It's a fantastic way to get new players scared of him for mechanical reasons, not just plot reasons.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The Black Knight is someone you are not only discouraged from fighting early, it is not POSSIBLE to beat him at that point.

The Death Knight is presented as a bonus challenge. The game is going "Ohh noooo, he's so stroooong, we should just leave him alooooone wink wink!" One of these approaches breeds fear. The other breeds a feeling of "bring it on, fucker!"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Endorph posted:

Ostian Nights is a really good FE7 'sequel' romhack. It's mostly a bunch of disconnected little stories about the FE7 cast that take place between FE7 and FE6 and try to bridge the gap between them a bit. Each character's story is like 1-3 maps and the units/stats are mostly preset, so it's not quite the same flow as a standard FE game, but that's a good change of pace.

Isn't that Elibian Nights? Or did they change the name at some point? It's been ages since I looked at it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Strange Matter posted:

Third Tellius game set a couple decades after RD where you play as Begnion rebels seeking to bring down both the Senate and the Apostle since nothing was really solved at the end of RD except the immediate apocalyptic threat.

Didn't you kill basically all of the Problematic Senators during Act 4 and the Finale? Possible exception of Oliver if he forced his way onto your team.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

That's how Morgan does it, that's how Ylisse does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

It's sure as gently caress how Chrom does it

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I always paired Lissa with Vaike because "The Vaike" and his flair for drama and ego would explain so much about Owain's behavior.

(plus he has the right hair color. Someone else mentioned it above, but I too like to try to play with the kids' hair colors, and Owain is blonde, drat it!)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Clearly the best path is to maximize access to, not Galeforce, but Lethality.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

and berserkers especially are the most fun units

Path of Radiance's Berserker crits are amazing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The worst part about Scarlet in Revelations is that apparently during the Ending Cards, the game just lists a "Died at ______" thing as if she died during gameplay. gently caress you, Revelations, she died to the loving plot, I didn't gently caress up, you did.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Endorph posted:

Guarantee it's a result of Scarlet dying to plot being a last minute thing thrown in and not an actual idea-idea.

That said I think this is consistent across the series. The only playable characters who unavoidably die during the plot are FE4 Gen 1 (who don't get a character ending scroll,) Eyvel FE5 (who does get a 'died at ___' if you don't unpetrify her), and Scarlet, who does get one. Kaze also gets one on Birthright if you don't A Support him and does get one like that. Athos dies but it's after the game is over.

I'd need to check but I think if you get Jill to defect and then kill her in FE9 she just vanishes from the endroll.

Here's the thing. The FE4 cast not getting an end card is fine by me. They died to the plot, the story moves on. No end-card, because they CANNOT live to the end to get one.

Eyvel's death can be avoided by gameplay, according to what you said there. I have not played Thracia, but it sounds like you can unpetrify her, and she doesn't die and goes on to have a normal endcard.

Kaze's death can be avoided by gameplay by getting the support.

Athos' death happens after the game is over, and his Endcard is normal, talking about how he died, and his last moments, and is not a "you hosed up, died at _____" card.

There is 100% nothing you can do about Scarlet's death in Revelations, just like the FE4 1st Generation cast. And it still treats it like a "The player hosed up" endcard.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 12, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The one thing I remember about Conrad is Celica amusing herself by taking his mask off and putting it back on purely to switch his personality back and forth. I don't even remember if it *actually* happens or not. It's just a hilarious mental picture.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think there are better games to blame than FE7 for the player avatar trend tbh.

If I remember right, the first one to *really* have a Player Avatar that actually affected things was the remake of FE3, wasn't it? Cause that one wasn't just an excuse to occasionally talk at the 4th Wall, it was a full-on soldier.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

It kinda feels weird/funny that they made Pent as good as he was in the context of the Generals in Binding Blade, like they’re not terrible but still.

Clearly there is a reason that Roartz and Arcard waited until Pent was out of the picture before launching their rebellion.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors 2 pls

And this time, can we NOT load down literally almost HALF of the cast with characters from a single game in the series, and the most divisive game in the series to boot?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Kinda, Radiant Dawn has three class tiers since it’s cast are largely characters who went on a wholeass campaign so they start at the second tier, so your starting new crew are the only tier 1 units and aside from Axe Jagen aren’t terribly durable. And iirc Nolan (Axe Jagen) got a significant buff in the US version, though RD has quite a few tweaks in general.

AFAIK the only buff Nolan got from Japan to US was getting his personal weapon later in the game that doesn't exist in the japanese version. Edward and Leo got one, too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I was under the impression that she did know, she just had a wildly different idea of how Sothis would act - Rhea approves if Byleth tells her things throughout part one that she could only have learned from Sothis.

To me, that's part of the narrative about Rhea and Sothis. Rhea fundamentally does not understand Sothis, and I think it's because she's been so warped by grief and loss. Rhea's succeeded in her quest, but it's not at all what she expected because of how warped her perceptions have become.

I don't quite agree with this. I'd say she doesn't know about Sothis in Byleth's head... because she doesn't understand that Byleth and Sothis are separate people. She's working under the assumption, or hope, that Byleth *is* Sothis, just without the memories and power and such.

Once Sothis gives her power to Byleth, she approves if you recognize the chair Sothis sits on, because she assumes that Sothis' memories and power is starting to wake up in this vessel. She fundamentally does not understand that Byleth is a separate individual, and that Sothis chose to save Byleth rather than forcibly take over another living being's body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Cecilia is just an all-around disappointment of a unit. Her class and her starting weapon ranks are basically the only good things about her.

After the glory that was Pent, she's a major step down as as Etruria's Mage General.