Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

inthesto posted:

The fact is that Shining Force has always been a more primitive and easier game. The fact that Resurrection of the Dark Dragon is basically a 1991 game with varying degrees of modernization doesn't help at all.

Shining Force 3 was the game that started incorporating a lot of concepts from Fire Emblem, you it's sadly easy to see the point where the budget got canceled and the series was buried alive.

SF3 was severely hurt by only being on the Sega Saturn and iirc half of it was only available in Japan. It's a great series that was hampered by being on the wrong system for way too long. There's about 20 games in the series with far too many remakes and Japanese exclusives. Many of the more recent entries are action RPGs which further ruins the brand.

SF1 on the Sega is awesome though. I've probably played it a hundred times with challenge runs and all. SF2 is pretty fun as well. Until I found Fire Emblem a couple of years ago, I had nothing else to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

@Onmi - That remake looks rear end ugly.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

inthesto posted:

It's not just that ShF3 was on the wrong console - halfway through the production of scenario 2, the team pretty much got axed. This is why scenario 2's promotion portraits are just recolors, half the plot doesn't have anything to do with the overarching story, and scenario 3's promotion portraits look like bad Sonic the Hedgehog fanart.

Sadly I've never played it. My enjoyment of Sega began and ended with the Genesis. I did play one of the Shining Games for the PS2 but I immediately returned it when I realized it was an action RPG.

There's a new Shining game being released for the Switch next month. I may look into it.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

inthesto posted:

It's bizarre how the lack of visual clarity was something introduced to RotDD and not present in any of the other games (except ShF3, but that was the first 3D game and you could rotate the camera anyway). Compare Omni's screenshot to this, which is most likely the same map:

You know exactly where everything sits and how far it is from everything else. The GBA remake really beefed that single incredibly important thing.

Shining Force 3 is worth a spin if you have the patience to make a Saturn emulator work. It has weapon ranks, supports, magic that isn't useless (easily the biggest problem in the series), bonus puzzle maps, and an engaging story.

Sadly, the Shining brand has been repurposed for incredibly generic RPGs marketed towards anime dorks.

This conversation made me download Saturne last night. I managed to get the bios loaded and running but I can't seem to get the rom to load. I only messed with it for like an hour though.

I also have the Sega CD SF. I think that was probably the first blow to the series since there were virtually no changes to the mechanics from the first 2 games and they played like the game gear games. One thing I loved about the original was being able to walk around and explore between battles even if it was basically pointless.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Fates has good gameplay and some fun characters, and that's about it.

I love Fates gameplay. I love shurikens/daggers, I enjoy male Pegasus riders and female fighters, and I always love replaying the one defense map and escape map in the game.

I also really enjoy how class changing is handled in this game. And that the Jeigan characters are not jeigans at all and are actually viable through the whole game. Hell, with proper panning those characters ca end up as one of the most op units you have.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the contrary, Fates failed because they were the exact opposite of lazy

It failed critically, sure. But it outsold even Awakening and is the highest selling FE to date.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Maybe I've played Awakening too many times, but I've never really felt a need to use Frederick. He's useful in Chapter 2 and maybe Chapter 7. But those are 2 of the hardest maps in the early game.

These days the rear end in a top hat reinforcements turn me off. One of the reasons I prefer Conquest is that at least I can spend a turn regrouping if I need too, but the mid to late game of Awakening requires a guide so I don't lose a unit to some rear end in a top hat mage on turn 8 or whatever.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Early Lunatic is literally balanced around him (and not in the fun way like FE6 HM chapter 1 and Marcus) but on Hard hes a good stat stick for a bit before you just go X/Kellam or Y/[insert cavalier here] since Sully/Stahl give a lot of bonuses at A rank.

gently caress Awakening's Lunatic mode. There's so much bullshit involved that it doesn't even approach being fun for me. Hard mode is problematic enough, but at least you can still use any combination of units you want and is probably the only mode worth trying to do an iron man run.

cheetah7071 posted:

It takes 7 maps of use to get an S rank. One for C, and two each for B, A, and S. You should be able to get everybody you're actually using paired up no problem. I usually used grinding maps to pair off people who I wasn't actually using.
It's possible to marry everyone without touching a single Risen map or DLC, but it does take a bit of planning and a lot of early-game resource management. Once I figured out how to do it, it's become my default mode of play for Conquest and Fates. Not having to grind or obsess over optimizing the kids makes the game much more enjoyable.

TriffTshngo posted:

Sacred Stones Hard mode, if you completely avoid grinding, I think is somewhere between Eliwood Hard and Hector Hard. With grinding it's literally as easy as you want it to be.

I'd put Ephraim Hard mode on the same level as HHM. Attempting to do the Ghost Ship without either Seth or Duessel is insane. Hell, Seth is nearly mandatory for Chapter 9 as well.

Walla fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 12, 2018

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

But why would you attempt this

Yeah I'd say a thing is harder than another thing when you intentionally gimp yourself, too.
I'm not saying you would.

I guess I just equate the difficulty of Hard Mode maps with how much of a necessity your Jeigans are, and for me Seth is as much of a necessity in Ephraim Hard as Marcus is in Hector Hard.

Neither Eliwood or Eirika require their Jeigans at all.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Cattail Prophet posted:

Discussion Topic: What's the best non-boat chapter in which a boat appears? Fleets count.

Conquest 10 easily. I also really like Awakening 13 even though it's easy.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

Yeah, probably.

I used a Kinshi Knight Niles and he sucked rear end. I felt that he was way better as a regular outlaw.

The archer class tanks Niles' speed and resistance. Even with the bonuses from promotion, a Niles Kinshi will likely have less of both than Bow Knight on top of less durability. Pretty sure he'll have more strength though. If you're willing to spend 4k on him he really likes the skills.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

So is PoR supposed to be this easy on normal mode? The biggest challenge I've faced so far is getting everyone I want to use the experience they need. I'm about to start Chapter 19.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

I'm still stuck on a bad units run of Birthright including Jakob, Felicia, Reina and Yukimura.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

what I'm confused about here is how any of you used any items ever after gaining some equipment for everyone

I mainly used them in dungeons to cure fatigue.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

Owain's not in the line of succession, so it's fine.

Wouldn't he be 4th in line? Chrom's kids, then Lissa and himself. Or am I missing something?

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Zore posted:

Remember there are two Lucinas, two Siblings and hell two Owains running around. We're even specifically talking about the one who came back from the future and later fucks off to Fateslandia while there is also a baby Owain hanging out in Ylisse with Lissa

The endings imply all the future kids end up leaving Ylisse anyways and almost all travel to parts unknown which is probably good so they don't gently caress over their younger selves. Which could also lead to an insane crisis of succession between descendants of both Lucina's claiming to be the legitimate heir to the throne.

I wasn't considering the future kids sine none of them stick around afterwards.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Golden Deer is best deer.

I really need to stop reading all of these reveals. I came late to Fire Emblem so this is the first one I can come in unspoiled on if I chose. Too late now I guess.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

The recruits in Blazing Blade have nothing to do with which Lord you have but are based on how many levels certain units have, or which enemies you kill or don't on certain maps.

You also get different maps and bosses on 2 chapters based on how many levels your 3 lords have or whether your mages have more/less levels than your cavs and mercs.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Blazing Blade's story doesn't seem as compelling as the others I've played so far. Is Sacred Stones better?

Blazing Blade probably has one of the most tragic villains in the series and some awesome emotional moments.

Sadly, you need 2 playthroughs and a guide to see all of it.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Every seal is an enemy drop or secret shop or chest/village. You can promote everyone except maybe one of the pegasus knights I think but you don't need to.

There's a lot of hidden things in 7 that truly require a guide but save that stuff for a second or third run. You can't really miss anything and some of the secret stuff is like the character choices in the earlier games.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

7 is just a good game. Awakening and Fates were my first games but I adore the GBA titles.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

The majority of my Conquest runs end at Fuga's Wild Ride because I simply don't have patience for that poo poo.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Just started a game of FE7. I gave my Eliwood the Energy Ring Dorcas has and he gained strength twice in a row. Also I gave Lowen the Dracoshield and he's as tanky as base Oswin.

As for promoting early, even the Tellius games work fine if you do. I usually promote Oscar around level 17 because I'd rather give him a second weapon and boosted stats asap.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Back to FE7, my Eliwood has procced strength on every level up and has 14 strength after eating an Energy Ring in Chapter 1. He's the best boy.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Chrom doesn't get Thief though. Archer and Cavalier. I always try to make Kellam a thief but I rarely put in the work to make him useful.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Even Awakening had a decent mix. Robin, Lissa, Maribelle, Kellam, Henry... I could go on, but at least half the cast have "normal" Anglo-Saxon style names.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

I would love to see 4 and 5 to get remade. These lovely SNES graphics and hanky fan translations don't work after a while.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

True. I'm stuck with the lovely translation for 4 due to reasons but the new one for 5 is pretty good.

Graphics still suck.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

The only one that works is 8. RD was a mess. And while I enjoy Fates it's not for the story.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

I wasn't really counting those 2, but if we count RD then we count Garden so that's fair. I always forget about 6 because I haven't really played the Japanese exclusive ones because of reasons.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

The Sage tower or whatever it's called and Izumo are the only 2 maps shared between the main routes. And the universal Paralogues which is like 6 maps.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Scrap Dragon posted:

Cheve, the Ice Tribe Village, the opera house, and the boat maps are also shared between Birthright and Conquest

How'd I forget all of that?

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

I'd love to see Arts further refined. Like, give each weapon 3 combat arts and let characters learn 2-3 arts each but don't make them a stat to be equipped, they just are. I feel this would work well going back to tighter class restrictions.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Echoes is still on my backlog. I finished Celica's Chapter 4 and was doing the teleporter maze with Alm and I just stopped. I remember it was like 1:30 and I was getting frustrated and I never went back to it. It is fun though and they did a great job updating the story.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Months hell. I've restarted the game a few times and have over-wrote that save but I haven't reached Chapter 4 in 2 years or so.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Good to know I need to delete 4 King's, thanks. I hate playing for turn counts. It's one of the things I keep hitting my head against in Valkyria Chronicles.

I have all the ones mentioned in this thread on my GBA except Crimson Arm. How is that one?

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

vilkacis posted:

It's probably the most fun i've had with a FE hack so far. It's rough around the edges (support conversations aren't in yet, some houses just have unmodified FE7 dialogue) but i liked both the characters/story and gameplay.

E: did a let's play of it in this thread if you want a preview.
I knew I heard of it somewhere. I might have to give it a try.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Both Road to Ruin and Soul of the Forest seem to give fun GBA Fire Emblem vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

vilkacis posted:

Road to Ruin is serviceable, and very polished, but i ended up liking it a lot less than Crimson Arm. The gameplay's largely fine (outside a couple of maps i really hated), but the story and characters take some eeehhhhhh turns.

I remember the LP of that one as well so I'm going to stick with Soul of the Forest. It seems interesting, and I think the viewpoint character might be an Archer Lord going by the Prologue.