Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dammit, too many Fire Emblem threads.

Anyway, I've spent a few extra minutes with Souls of the Forest and it's serviceable. The writer likes archers since the main character is a Bow Lord who's weapon is effective against flyers, horses, armors and dark magic. And all bows are longbows by default. They also feel the need to separate Cavs into Lance, Sword and Axe because outside of our Bow Lord every starting character is a cav and the jeigan is a Valkyrie. The only real complaint so far is the convoy is broken so you're not holding onto anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've been playing OCA as well and it's so good. I'm thinking of doing a VC injection because I will probably replay it, it's so good. I like that you have to play smart on the fog of war map because even your tanks can only take 4 hits at best.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Three Houses was phenomenally acted, so it's a high bar to hold to, but I hope they pull it off.

I'd argue Echoes has better acting, but it's a smaller cast and script.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Amppelix posted:

That's actually one thing I'm not sure how i feel about. Namely that your units feel really samey. Everyone kinda has the exact same stats. Everyone is reasonably fast. No one has completely hopeless defense, but nobody is really defensive either.

I guess it's good that nobody sucks and you can use whoever you like, but this isn't really what I'm looking for in my classic fire emblems, i feel like.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Actually managing to get one of your big slow Knight-ey units in place (or warping them there) so they can do their thing and have a bunch of attacks uselessly bounce off of them is a good feeling but seems to be a kinda rare occurrence in general (like in the entire FE series)

It is rare, but Oswin is actually useful throughout the game. You could only field him to choke points in about 5 maps and he will perform well. The knight in OAC might be taking one less point of damage than your soldier-lord at base, and the enemies scale up stronger than in the other GBA games. Like Amppelix said, everyone has roughly the same def and speed stats; my highest defense is on one of the cavs and that's because he ate a Dracoshield and it's still only 1 point higher than the knight.

The only unit who seems to just be bad so far is Kurtis. He's essentially the same class as your Lord but with no speed and E-rank instead of D.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Vilk would be the one to ask, or you can check out their LP as it was only this past Spring.

ISTR the game only has about 24 Chapters if that helps.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

vilkacis posted:

Huh. I had that reaction a few times in Road to Ruin, but never felt that way with Crimson Arm.

I feel the cadence is just slightly off, but that might just be due to a first playthrough of a new game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Big dumb OCA post:

Like I've only played the first 5 chapters so far because I was enjoying it enough that I made it a VC injection and had to restart.

The first real map is an open plain where half the map will immediately rush you and no except Ernst can one-round anyone, and unlike Joshua Martel will absolutely hit the cleric who recruits him so getting the pacing right can be difficult. Also if you pull one unit it immediately triggers 2 others to start moving towards you.

The first indoor map is on a timer and it's never outright hinted what triggers the front door opening. The first time I played it I thought killing the boss was the trigger when really it's after 8 turns or so because I was just slow enough on my replay to game over.

The map where you recruit the Christmas Cavs is the most normally paced but it's a wide open plain full of horses and pegs when you're mostly infantry so if you're not careful you can end up swarmed near the bridge.

The FoW map after that is probably the best FoW map I've ever seen but even then there are 2 chokes where if you move a unit 1 extra square forward is enough to cause a game over, but like every FoW map it's completely cheesed on any replay.

They're all completely minor issues and I think a large part of it is on us the players, because I at least have been playing like I would 7 or 8 and that playstyle will get you murdered here.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 10, 2020

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Bogart posted:

Joshua won’t hit Natalie if you put her in range??

Spoilers I guess, but no. Maybe on hard, I can't remember.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

It depends on the cart version, oddly enough. I think it's the EU version where he will attack her, and the others he won't, but don't hold me to that because I don't remember exactly.

Possibly, I'm not that deep into the trivia between the different versions. A quick Google mentions that Joshua will attack her in the Japanese version.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zore posted:

This is a weird take considering Seth can solo up to like Chapter 15 with his bases in FE8.

The only thing that makes a Seth solo difficult is the Gorgon pit in the endgame.

And Marcus is the best unit for half of 7.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Solo as in Seth is the only one on the map other than the lord. If we're willing to use meat shields then it's just a standard slog.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

We're kind of touching on this as a tangent in the SMT thread, but the developers seem to be obsessed with the games featuring Marth and/or Lucina to the exclusion of everything else. It's completely baffling how everything from 4-10 seems to be forgotten and ignored.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Both good arguments, and I pretty much made the same argument for Warriors. I think I'm more baffled by how little engagement there was with the Western market until Heroes and the CYL events.

Also it kind of surprises me how well received the anniversary edition is.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

aren't marth and lucina like the most popular fe characters in japan

Yes and no? Like Lyn stomped Lucina in the first CYL and that wasn't entirely on the Western fanbase which surprised the developers.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Niles and Navarre are probably slightly out there picks too.

Navarre makes sense. Like Jeigan, he originated the "broody enemy myrmidon" archtype and since they included Frederick he makes sense. Fates doesn't follow many of the typical archtypes of the rest of the series.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'd say there hasn't been a true Jeigan since Jeigan. Maybe FE 6 Marcus counts.

As for Fates, it'd be better to say it twists many of the archtypes. You get an Oifey, but their early game power lies in access to high level skills rather than inflated stats. You don't get Christmas Cavs, you get Christmas Ninjas or Christmas Mercenaries. I think it's the little twists and subversions that make it my favorite.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

How about just calling them Seth's? Or shitwreckers?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No Caeda means no Navarre and good luck dealing with that Killing Edge.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

AradoBalanga posted:

Let's put it this way: in-game, Azura and Corrin are all but outright stated to be cousins, due to Mikoto and Arete being sisters. Then, the big Fates artbook comes out and retcons Mikoto and Arete's relationship to being "as close as sisters", thus retconning away the blood relationship Azura and Corrin had in-game.

Oh, despite the whole focus on family, the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings not only never appears in game, but she is only named in Ryoma's support with Corrin (Ikona, for the record; and seemingly only in the Japanese script as the English translation scrubbed her name out of the support). To make matters worse, outside of that one support, absolutely no effort is given to distinguish that Mikoto is not the biological mother of the Hoshidan siblings. Not one piece of dialogue is ever mentioned that states Mikoto is the step-mother to Ryoma/Hinoka/Takumi/Sakura, thus you could go the entire game thinking that Corrin is genuinely related to them, only to find out that Corrin has no blood relation to any of the 8 royals (and later, Azura as well).

There's one. Hinoka's C support casually mentions that Mikoto was her step-mother and that the Hoshidan siblings weren't big fans of hers.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

There were sales on the 3DS eShop but it was things like Picross and the Ace Attorney trilogy.

I check it occasionally.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Tired Moritz posted:

dragging awakening-styled's wackier characters and trying to shove them into a serious story... was a choice.

It worked for me. Conquest gave me more time to learn about and understand the Awakening trio than their original game did.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

Few chapters after the split in Fates Conquest on a Hard mode run here- not quite used to the dual system of defensive Pair Up and offensive... leaving units next to eachother for guaranteed dual attacks thing

Really interesting mechanic- have to make sure you counter the enemy unit use of it as well. Even a "tank" can get absolutely torn apart if they get their defense Sealed and 5 units take a bite out of 'em

Joy. :)

What chapter are you on? Fates Conquest is my favorite game in the series and has some of my favorite characters. The story is a dumpster fire and Corrin sucks but I love it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Out of the 3 Pair Up systems we've seen, I'd say Fates has the best version. I also enjoy the status staves, knives, and the weapons.

You know, all the poo poo people hate.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Space Fish posted:

If I still enjoy musou games and New 3DS, then Fire Emblem Warriors for $10 (plus eventual $20 season pass if I really like the base game) is a deal, right?

It's a great deal as long as you're willing to put up with the lag on the 3DS. I bought it for both 3DS and Switch and I much prefer it on the latter system.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't find the gameplay of Fates boring. I'd say mechanics wise it's better than Awakening, the Tellius games or Sacred Stones.

Everything else is correct.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

About to give Chapter 10 a shot here- looks threatening

Also yeah Corrin totally sucks but I do like Horny Bandit Niles and the weird fighter who thinks he's a silver-age superhero

drat, now I want to start a run on Conquest. That chapter is one of the best maps there is if you like a challenge.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zoran posted:

Not really. There’s a bit of a lull from chapter 11 to chapter 14 because you can use Camilla to solve all your problems, but Conquest is one of the rare FEs where the difficulty ramps up all the way to Endgame.

It's also one of the few games to discourage low-manning and grinding yet you can take a y team to endgame.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm comfortable being alone in my opinions.

But lol id you think Thracia is any less complicated.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

On a turn-by-turn, combat-by-combat basis? Absolutely. The maps are complicated, but predicting the outcome of a move is simple. That's when FE is at its best, imo.

But the complications lie in other areas. Fatigue, hit rates on healing, capture, limited shops/money, turncoat allies, leadership stars

I'd actually put both games in the same place. Both have a fair amount of bullshit jankiness. I just don't find the buffs and debuffs to be a problem.

And Echoes is good.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I was actually thinking of the Ricken/Maribelle map as an example of an early one I really liked so maybe I just have atypical tastes

You and me both.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think there's room for both tactics and strategy, but the developers only seem capable of focusing on one at a time.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I would love to hear how it goes. Conquest was my third game ever and Chapter 10 kicked my rear end so hard on Normal. It felt so good to finally beat it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FE3 was 2 games in one. Book 1 was the original Fire Emblem and Book 2 is the new content and characters that are in New Mystery. I really wish that had been localised instead.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Ok.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hace posted:

tbh I think sacred stones might be my favorite fire emblem rn. it's a shame it's not harder, but I love it's maps and characters a lot.

Tbf Ephraim Hard Mode has some legitimately difficult maps and Eirika's Chapter 9 is pretty hairy if you want everything. Ignore the grund and it's a decent game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

a kid wants to find his dad, who went missing while investigating a silly wizard who wants to open a big door for reasons he tragically forgot. also the wizard took over a band of assassins

But you don't know why the wizard wants to open the door, or what he forgot or even why he forgot without playing the game 3 times with a guide

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Blaziken386 posted:

pants are oppressive, the nohr people are enlightened

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

sadly my corrin was very much not capable of going toe to toe with ryoma somehow

You mean you didn't buy Swordbreaker, Lancefaire and Replicate before going into battle with him? :)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Promoting early is usually the best strategy in the majority of games, particularly the GBA ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

blizzardvizard posted:

3H is far more player phase-focused than most games in the series, so I actually think archers will be extremely valuable if bows are restricted to them. Especially when flying units are usually the biggest threats throughout the game.

It's this. 3 Houses and Fates are balanced around a strong player phase which makes bows and magic more powerful than in the enemy phased focused games.