Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

BattleCake posted:

On the subject of the final decision of the episode, I was surprised to see how many people helped Pete rather than Nick, I mean the guy is bitten so it felt like a bit of a no-brainer to me.

I thought it might be a fakeout and that he actually may have hosed up his leg really bad on a jagged rock while focusing on getting away from walkers. Obviously that's a stretch, especially if I didn't get a good look at it and it's obvious what happened, but it would kind of mirror the situation with Clem throughout the episode. I read that someone here had the same idea so at least a few of us are in this stupid thing together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want everyone in the episode to die a horrible death. Except Sarah. She’s okay.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

greatBigJerk posted:

I did a fresh playthrough of season 1 to get a new save for season 2, and one thing that REALLY stands out to me is that the entire tone of the relationship you have with Kenny changes based on whether or not you help Kenny kill Larry. If you don't, Kenny does gently caress all to help you and is pretty much Larry 2.0, but if you help him, you're pretty much best buds right up to the end.

I remember a lot of talk about the illusion of choice, but from the end of episode 2 onward, your interactions with that character are pretty drat different(even if the outcomes are pretty much the same).

People have said that Telltale apologized for this or something. Way too much weight is put on that stupid decision. That was by far the most glaring problem in season 1.

If you don't side with Kenny 100% of the time it turns on the "rear end in a top hat Kenny" flag and that seems to be only one of two options. Which is probably why some people love him and others downright despise him.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 28, 2013

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Really, I think it makes total sense for the Larry decision to weigh heavily on how Kenny sees you, and for it influence every interaction thereafter. If you side against him, you "abandon" him when he needs you most and force him to shoulder the guilt of Larry's death on his own. If you side with him, he knows you'll be willing to make the tough decisions and stand by him when things get heavy, and he responds in kind. Is it unreasonable that he would feel this way? Maybe. But people aren't always rational when they feel wronged or betrayed.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

In It For The Tank posted:

Really, I think it makes total sense for the Larry decision to weigh heavily on how Kenny sees you, and for it influence every interaction thereafter. If you side against him, you "abandon" him when he needs you most and force him to shoulder the guilt of Larry's death on his own. If you side with him, he knows you'll be willing to make the tough decisions and stand by him when things get heavy, and he responds in kind. Is it unreasonable that he would feel this way? Maybe. But people aren't always rational when they feel wronged or betrayed.

Sure, but he acts the exact same way even if you're with him on absolutely everything else and never changes again. You can come up with an explanation for it that makes sense, but I think the real reason was just laziness.

quote:

edit: Did anyone else laugh out loud when you get back in the shed with the medical supplies and (assuming you asked Alvin for help) take a sip out of the juice box before cleaning out the wound? It just made me think of those countless scenes in games and movies where a character takes a swig of some strong alcoholic drink to dull the pain for some impromptu surgery or amputation, but in this case you're a little girl grimly sipping from a juicebox; the juxtaposition was just hilarious to me. Surely that was intentional right? The imagery is so perfect, especially with the way she's positioned with her arm on the table.

This was that scene for me:

sip juice
stitch
laugh
repeat

Unfortunately, I ran out of juice before the last stitch. It was exactly as you said, she sips the juice like she's an experienced and jaded detective taking a swig of whiskey or something

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 28, 2013

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

BattleCake posted:

edit: Did anyone else laugh out loud when you get back in the shed with the medical supplies and (assuming you asked Alvin for help) take a sip out of the juice box before cleaning out the wound? It just made me think of those countless scenes in games and movies where a character takes a swig of some strong alcoholic drink to dull the pain for some impromptu surgery or amputation, but in this case you're a little girl grimly sipping from a juicebox; the juxtaposition was just hilarious to me. Surely that was intentional right? The imagery is so perfect, especially with the way she's positioned with her arm on the table.

I didn't even realize this could happen. The way this game balances morbidity and humor is almost too on the nose, but it somehow works.

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010

BattleCake posted:

I feel like the relationships between characters is one of the best parts of this game series so I will echo the hope that the bits where you just walk around and talk to people return.

On the subject of the final decision of the episode, I was surprised to see how many people helped Pete rather than Nick, I mean the guy is bitten so it felt like a bit of a no-brainer to me. Then again, a lot of people make the decision of what feels morally right rather than what's most pragmatic (usually I'm one of these people) and I guess people just liked him more? I'm interested in hearing what decisions the rest of the thread made and what your rationale for it was.[/spoiler]

I decided to go for Pete mainly because I felt that Nick would blame Clementine for abandoning Pete, which likely would result in the entire group hating you even more. But also because Nick did seem to have ammunition and could fend of the zombies. Even if Pete's bitten, he probably have at least a day left of life, and I thought that'd be enough for Pete and Clementine to get back to the cabin, explain how Clementine is the hero and savior of the day and why Nick is such a bad nephew.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Cavauro posted:

I thought it might be a fakeout and that he actually may have hosed up his leg really bad on a jagged rock while focusing on getting away from walkers. Obviously that's a stretch, especially if I didn't get a good look at it and it's obvious what happened, but it would kind of mirror the situation with Clem throughout the episode. I read that someone here had the same idea so at least a few of us are in this stupid thing together.
The first time through the first episode, I was watching my sister play with my family(it's a blast to play these games in a group by the way), and I could have sworn that his foot looked twisted around like he smashed his ankle or something. That was enough to get me to convince my sister to choose him.

When I played it at home on my PC, it was pretty clear that wasn't the case. I ended up picking Nick in my game, though it's still totally possible that Pete wasn't bitten.

THE PWNER posted:

People have said that Telltale apologized for this or something. Way too much weight is put on that stupid decision. That was by far the most glaring problem in season 1.

If you don't side with Kenny 100% of the time it turns on the "rear end in a top hat Kenny" flag and that seems to be only one of two options. Which is probably why some people love him and others downright despise him.
It was a significant enough event that it makes enough sense to me. The whole episode was about choosing a side anyway. It's definitely weird if you look into it too deep, but it's not terrible.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

I didn't get this, he was pretty much always on board regardless of what I did/said. All I did was accidentally save Duck in Episode 1, say he wasn't bitten, and feed the kids. I think it's more in flux than people think.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Szmitten posted:

I didn't get this, he was pretty much always on board regardless of what I did/said. All I did was accidentally save Duck in Episode 1, say he wasn't bitten, and feed the kids. I think it's more in flux than people think.

In my game, the only time I didn't side with him was episode 2, other than that I was basically trying to be his best bud, and then at the end when people are deciding whether or not to come with Lee to find Clementine, Kenny gives me the "I dunno man, you haven't really looked out for me and my family in the past" spiel. This is after I shot Duck, talked him down rather than fought him on the train, fed him and Duck, defended duck in the pharmacy, etc... If there was an option to just kill him there I would've taken it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THE PWNER posted:

In my game, the only time I didn't side with him was episode 2, other than that I was basically trying to be his best bud, and then at the end when people are deciding whether or not to come with Lee to find Clementine, Kenny gives me the "I dunno man, you haven't really looked out for me and my family in the past" spiel. This is after I shot Duck, talked him down rather than fought him on the train, fed him and Duck, defended duck in the pharmacy, etc... If there was an option to just kill him there I would've taken it.

No seriously to cement your friendship with Kenny you have to splatter a man all over the room while you hold back said man's screaming daughter.

Edit: vv could be a possible save error. Unless you also have to suck up to him majorly to avoid having him disregard everything you've done for him.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 28, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kenny said I always had his back in episode 5 even though I tried to revive Larry, so there must be more to it than that.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Platystemon posted:

I want everyone in the episode to die a horrible death. Except Sarah. She’s okay.

Hopefully Clem kills them all personally next time, Home Alone gone berserk style. She saves Sarah though because she needs a friend, and the dog thing also turns out to have been a dream. This will definitely happen. :colbert:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

greatBigJerk posted:

I could have sworn that his foot looked twisted around like he smashed his ankle or something. That was enough to get me to convince my sister to choose him.

When I played it at home on my PC, it was pretty clear that wasn't the case. I ended up picking Nick in my game, though it's still totally possible that Pete wasn't bitten.

He's clearly bitten in that scene, and though I choose the other person, apparently if you choose him the resulting preview indicates he may cut off his foot.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

petewhitley posted:

He's clearly bitten in that scene, and though I choose the other person, apparently if you choose him the resulting preview indicates he may cut off his foot.
Yeah this game has conditioned you so far that if someone gets bit then it's over for them, that's the first thing I thought of when I got to that choice. It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of how many people who chose one or the other had played through Season 1.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I chose to save pete because he was on the wrong side of the river to simply just run away and didn't have any ammo left. Also, 5 minutes earlier Clem and Pete had a heart to heart where Pete mentioned how much he really cared for Nick and Clem really wants Pete to tell Nick the truth himself! Even if he was bitten, getting chomped to death is a pretty gruesome way to go.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

No seriously to cement your friendship with Kenny you have to splatter a man all over the room while you hold back said man's screaming daughter.

Edit: vv could be a possible save error. Unless you also have to suck up to him majorly to avoid having him disregard everything you've done for him.

My saves didn't get anything else wrong, so I'm assuming that's not the case. I didn't side with Kenny until after the bandit attack, but after that I was with him the whole way, though I don't remember too many actual choices in regards to his loyalty after that. I shot Duck for him, talked him down on the train and had him shoot the kid in the attic.

Honestly it made a really nice redeeming arc for Kenny and I'd be really disappointed if that was entirely because the game didn't remember poo poo correctly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Was I the only one weirded out by the random 16 month jump after the gas station? That could have been a week and I wouldn't have known the difference with the exception of the pregnancy being gone obviously.

Oh god the loving dog. It's like Telltale have been taking inspiration from Pathologic. Let the rawness of reality sink in as you fight to the death with a dog (you were just bonding with) over a can of beans. :gonk:

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Was I the only one weirded out by the random 16 month jump after the gas station? That could have been a week and I wouldn't have known the difference with the exception of the pregnancy being gone obviously.

Oh god the loving dog. It's like Telltale have been taking inspiration from Pathologic. Let the rawness of reality sink in as you fight to the death with a dog (you were just bonding with) over a can of beans. :gonk:

I thought Clementine looked considerably older and Christa sounded really old and tired :(

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

It also really felt like the relationship between Clementine and Christa had become strained since Omid's death (my guess was that it was due to a combination of Christa possibly resenting/blaming Clementine partially for Omid's death, his death in general, the fate of the baby whatever it was, and the stress that comes with the burden of taking care of Clementine on her own). The whole time at the campfire it felt like tensions were about to boil over :(. Really felt like the one good relationship/thing they had left in the world had gone to poo poo, which drove home the despair of the situation.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm on my phone so I don't see spoiler blocks so not quoting, but I think your first point is mostly why they did it. I'm fine with that, since it makes your in-game exploits more believable.

Ed: in response to swebonny

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Xoidanor posted:

The time skip was as much to age Clementine as it was to bring the timeline up to speed with 400 days.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

THE PWNER posted:

The time skip was as much to age Clementine as it was to bring the timeline up to speed with 400 days.
I really don't get the logic behind this. 400 days is already ahead of season 1's timeline by the time you get to Shel at Day 236/259. 16 months is one year and four months and that's not including the several months Clem, Omid and Christa were together after the end of season 1 as evidence by Christa's stomach. At this point it's way ahead of the end of 400 days.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I really don't get the logic behind this. 400 days is already ahead of season 1's timeline by the time you get to Shel at Day 236/259. 16 months is one year and four months and that's not including the several months Clem, Omid and Christa were together after the end of season 1 as evidence by Christa's stomach. At this point it's way ahead of the end of 400 days.

3 months is way ahead? It's not that long. Considering the hint we've gotten from the banner for Amid the Ruins, I have a feeling 3 months will be just enough time for whatever has been going on with the 400 Days characters to have developed a bit.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

lotus circle posted:

How long do you think the beginning of Season 2 was from the beginning of the outbreak? Maybe 6 months or a little longer?

I mean it's not like the time skip was *just* to catch up to the 400 days guys as they left with Tavia. More to give them time to do stuff in between the ending and now, so that when we end up meeting them it's not them on their way to Tavia's camp or something like that, but us seeing the aftermath of what happened there. Assuming it's been at least 10 months or so since they initially left the camp, that's a ton of room for the writers to work with.

And either way I'd find it a bit hard to believe Clementine could go from the still soft spoken and scared little kid she is in the intro to a jaded and capable survivalist kid in a time frame that was much shorter.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 29, 2013

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Xoidanor posted:

Like other people have said, some of it was done to age Clementine and give time for the 400 Days characters to live through whatever the gently caress they've lived through since the end of that.

It also gives a solid reason for Clementine to lose a lot of her childhood innocence and get all jaded. She's had over a year of hard living and terrible poo poo to go through while she traveled with Christa.

I mean Christa obviously lost the baby(I wonder if the drinking had a hand in it), so that's some pretty grim poo poo they had to deal with. Maybe even putting down a zombie baby.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah this game has conditioned you so far that if someone gets bit then it's over for them, that's the first thing I thought of when I got to that choice. It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of how many people who chose one or the other had played through Season 1.

I mean I don't disagree, but that's also one of the fundamentals of zombie fiction so I don't think that'd have much impact if at all

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I finally finished season 1

I'll miss you :shepicide:

400 days is on sale, do the choices from season 1 and 400 days mean anything in Season 2 or should I just jump right into that?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ghetto Prince posted:

I finally finished season 1

I'll miss you :shepicide:

400 days is on sale, do the choices from season 1 and 400 days mean anything in Season 2 or should I just jump right into that?

There's a 100% chance that characters from 400 days will be showing up, probably as early as episode 2, and a pretty decent chance they might even be significant. 400 days is also pretty enjoyable and worth the $2.50.

As for season 1 choices, well we don't know too much about that just yet (there's been some references to s1 but not too many) but it sounds like you've got a save anyway, so make sure you import it rather than feel dumb later when it turns out you missed something cool.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

RentACop posted:

I mean I don't disagree, but that's also one of the fundamentals of zombie fiction so I don't think that'd have much impact if at all
The Walking Dead comic and TV show have both shown people lopping off limbs and saving themselves though, while Season 1 of the game didn't have any moments like that, especially the big one at the end where it doesn't work.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Walking Dead comic and TV show have both shown people lopping off limbs and saving themselves though, while Season 1 of the game didn't have any moments like that, especially the big one at the end where it doesn't work.

Didn't work twice in season 1, I take it none of you chopped dude's legs off at the beginning of s1e2.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Iron Crowned posted:

Didn't work twice in season 1, I take it none of you chopped dude's legs off at the beginning of s1e2.

I thought that guy wasn't bit and you cut his leg off to get him out of the bear trap?

And when he died of blood loss, he came back. (which is why Kenny wanted to smash Larry's head after he had a heart attack)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Call Me Charlie posted:

I thought that guy wasn't bit and you cut his leg off to get him out of the bear trap?

And when he died of blood loss, he came back. (which is why Kenny wanted to smash Larry's head after he had a heart attack)

Yep, you're right. There needs to be more amputations anyway.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

That guy wasn't bit.
If you delay too long in chopping off his leg, I think Kenny will do it. No matter what, he will be brought back to camp.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iron Crowned posted:

Okay both of those have extraordinary circumstances that made it unpredictable, the reason for which is because there is a precedent in the comics that it does in fact work. First off Lee had passed out and by the time he awoke it had been god knows how long (long enough for the infection into his blood). If he had immediately had someone cut off his arm, then maybe maybe he would've been fine. But then again losing a limb is a loving traumatic process that could kill the person anyway, which is what we saw when we tried to save that guy from the bear trap. But if it's your only option all the stars need to align and in a world without any sort of standardized medical establishment it's essentially a roll of the die.

But there's a "doctor" in this group so who knows?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

FauxGateau posted:

Okay both of those have extraordinary circumstances that made it unpredictable, the reason for which is because there is a precedent in the comics that it does in fact work. First off Lee had passed out and by the time he awoke it had been god knows how long (long enough for the infection into his blood). If he had immediately had someone cut off his arm, then maybe maybe he would've been fine. But then again losing a limb is a loving traumatic process that could kill the person anyway, which is what we saw when we tried to save that guy from the bear trap. But if it's your only option all the stars need to align and in a world without any sort of standardized medical establishment it's essentially a roll of the die.

But there's a "doctor" in this group so who knows?

I've never read the comics (and I don't remember that much from the TV show since I didn't enjoy it that much), do you mind posting about the circumstances of an amputation working in the comic?

Also, at one point in the episode one of the characters mentions off-hand that amputating a limb worked for their cousin down in someplace, but that could just be hearsay. I imagine it's mentioned for a reason.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

BattleCake posted:

I've never read the comics (and I don't remember that much from the TV show since I didn't enjoy it that much), do you mind posting about the circumstances of an amputation working in the comic?

Also, at one point in the episode one of the characters mentions off-hand that amputating a limb worked for their cousin down in someplace, but that could just be hearsay. I imagine it's mentioned for a reason.

In the comics, Dale is bitten and the other survivors amputate his leg from the knee down. It works and he survives, though not for long, since he is bitten again soon after.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BattleCake posted:

Irony. The guy who said it was Pete. The guy who (presumably) cuts his leg off in episode 2 if you chose to save him.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

In the TV show, a guy gets bit on the foot or something, has his leg amputated, and survives like a season or two with no infection. So it's definitely possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
Not talking really suits Clem more than Lee.

Slightly annoyed though for some reason it didn't detect my Season 1 save file. (Xbox) Speaking of which though I didn't help Kenny in the locker room but we were still best mates and at the end he was with me one hundred percent.

• Locked thread