Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, really. Carley not knowing what batteries are and Lee turning off the only thing protecting them from a horde of ravenous zombies over a hunch on the diary farm is honest bad writing. A stressed out little girl forgetting to bring her a gun in a momentary lack of judgement is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Carley was the only other character I totally trusted beside Clem, so yeah I left Lily behind without a second thought.

I actually failed to act to do anything towards Larry out of indecision, but it counted as me trying to help which I was fine with.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I killed Larry first play through. I mean dude would have killed Lee the first chance he got, and I wasn't going to let him eat all of us.

As for the Doug/Carly choice. I remember reading an interview where Telltale said they predicted most people would go with Carly because she was a hot girl with a gun. I went with Carly because she could shoot things, if Doug could have shot things, I would have gone with him.

Of course on the second playthough, I did go Doug, and we did get that alarm system in our little hotel fortress.
I actually saved her because she seemed to have a lot more going on for her as a character than Doug.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the only corpses of actual characters were Roman and I think Leland if I'm not mistaken.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Are the Law and Ordere games any good, because a police procedural adventure game that's the quality of TWD and Wolf Among Us sounds rad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anti-Hero posted:

So I was a boob and didn't read the fine print while buying this off GMG, which resulted in a Telltale games key rather than a Steam key. I emailed Telltale about getting a Steam key, anyone done the same stupid poo poo as me?
You're not going to get a Steam key, so you done goofed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
That was pretty great. I'm going to stick with Kenny; Luke and the gang's problem are their own problems, that's part of why I had them surrender. Alvin is still alive and so is Nick. Can't wait to run into Anti-Clem in the camp, her, Bonnie, and Shell were the only ones who did go with in my playthrough.

Also it's good to see Good Ol' Christmas Duck again.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

mrs. nicholas sarkozy posted:

What was the deal with the duck?
It's a reference to Gone Home.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Is Bonnie less hesitant if she was a liar? Because she was honest in my playthrough and she seemed to be doubting what she was doing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also that the fact that they never moved that far away from Carver's camp in the first place despite knowing that he'd be looking all over for them.

I've been playing Clem as nice yet pragmatic and while I find it to be out of character for her to actively screw them over (i.e. I told Walter that Nick wasn't an rear end in a top hat, because even though Nick is a colossal screw-up he didn't kill Matthew out of malice so I wouldn't let Clem lie about that.) I'm totally ditching them when I can, their problems ain't Clem's problems. I've been telling them that I have no desire to stay with them every chance I could get, my Clem's total motivation now is to go with Kenny and Sarita to Wellington and try and find Crista.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 5, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I actually thought Duck wasn't in that much danger at the time and that he could have just ran away, unlike Shawn.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Behonkiss posted:

Second (Episode 2 spoiler ahead), was the guy on the bridge supposed to be the prisoner on the bus you played as in 400 Days?
No, they're completely different people.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Verdugo posted:

Oh. I haven't played it yet, [no time] I was going via the spoilers, I thought they were literally going to Woodbury.
They're not, its two completely different settlements. And as people said I think Carver is going to be different than The Governor, Carver is giving off a cult leader vibe which The Governor wasn't at all.

Plus I trust Telltale to not fall into the traps that ruined the source materials of their games, they've been really great at that so far.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kenny, without a second thought.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stalins Moustache posted:

Let's stalk an armed gang just to get a pregnant woman who hates you back is not the best of motivations but then again, he's probably a psychopath. [/spoiler]
Carver is the father of Rebecca's baby so it would make sense why he would be hunting them down.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

freebooter posted:

Wait, when's the second time?
He's the dude in the truck that drives Wyatt and Eddie off the road.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah Nick's a total moron but he isn't a dick so I felt that I would be lying if I said he was one. I do still totally want to ditch them all now and run off with Kenny and Sarita but I'm thinking that giving up and saving Alvin will make Carver think Clem is just lying about her lack of loyalty.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I think you got confused or something because I can't find any specific date and Telltale hasn't released a trailer yet which they would have already if it was going to come out in three days. It should still be pretty soon though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They still haven't released a trailer for Episode 3 yet, so I really wasn't expecting this week. Probably next week.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

Unless the Borderlands game transcends video games and character driven fiction I'm probably not going to get it.
Same, Game of Thrones should be cool though and I'm not even a fan.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm hoping that they don't make a third season. I have a feeling that Season 2 could really bring a nice thematic and narrative end to the series and anything past that might ruin it.

I would totally want a Wolf Among Us Season 2 though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only people that really care about the definition of video game are insufferable nerds.

I agree with Frankston though that Season 1 is one of the best games ever, its my personal favorite.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 10, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Honestly just because an adventure game focuses more on storytelling and roleplaying instead of puzzles doesn't mean its not an adventure game. Adventure games were never beloved for their puzzles really.

Also Phoenix Wright and Ghost Tricks aren't really visual novels, they're more like point and click adventure games too. Visual novels pretty much have very little interaction and both games had a good amount.

Ultimately its kind of nebulous really.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 10, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dogen posted:

Isn't that mostly what they were loved for? The old Sierra games, LucasArts games, etc.? I mean, the setting and story is fun, but puzzles were a big part of it.
Not really, I always remember people lauding them for their writing, characters, and settings. Puzzles tended to be ridiculed more than anything, just look at everyone's opinions of Sierra's games nowadays.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

boom boom boom posted:

How does this work, does the new episode go up at midnight?
It really depends, but its usually when Steam does its 1pm/Noon update.

Don't know anything about consoles though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 13, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
drat, that scene if Alvin lives, hurts man. He never knew. I'm still having Clem being humane, but I'm sticking with Kenny to the end, sorry new guys. I actually kind like my Clem's relationship with Sarah, that she really doesn't know what to say and just tends to be silent. Disappointed that there was no interaction with Anti-Clem/Shel's sister. The two of them are probably dead now, but all the guys in 400 Days refused to go so hopefully I run into them. I'm happy that Carver is dead. Because he served his purpose well without overdoing it. I wonder what the finale will be like, because it could be anything at this point. The theme for the whole season is definitely whether Clem holds onto her humanity or not though, that's for sure.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 13, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I thought he was already a zombie when you went back to meet him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

7 more!!!!!
Nah, I would hate a third season. The games are Lee and Clem's stories' now and I have a feeling that Season 2 can really bring a conclusive ending to Clem's arc. Not enough games know when to end.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's definitely gotten progressively better with each episode. I still don't think its achieved Season 1's heights yet, but there is still two more episodes to go and they can go in almost any direction now. Hopefully it really sticks the landing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You shouldn't be skipping the credits, because the ending themes have all been good this season. :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like how Telltale punished people for gaming 400 Days.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I want it ending something like the future is uncertain but there is still hope. Grimdark bullshit where everybody dies is what ruined the comic.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DialTheDude posted:

So what happens if you saved Alvin in the previous episode? I managed to keep Nick alive and he didn't get as many lines as the other characters in this one, mostly because Telltale has to also compensate for players who left him to die and have the story match up for everyone. Did Alvin get the same treatment?
Carver drags him off to his office for most of the episode where he beats Alvin half to death. Alvin comes to and helps you when you turn on the PA system. It ultimately ends with him dying anyway but I didn't find it cheap it all, its actually sadder than him just getting off in Episode 2. Nick and the 400 Days characters aside from Bonnie felt cheap though. Thankfully most of the characters refused to go in my playthrough.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm totally ditching them all and just going with Kenny and Sarita. My Clem has been too nice for too long, these guys are on their own now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No, Carlos lives through EP2 no matter what. Alvin and Nick are the only ones that can live or die there.

Also yeah, never take the episode previews as set in stone. Wolf Among Us had scenes that never even remotely happened.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The best are Alpha Protocol and Witcher 2, but even they aren't perfect. Honestly I would much rather have a strong narrative over choices mattering plot-wise. There really isn't that many of the former in games to begin with. I think the only real misstep TWD has done with character choices is the 400 Days guys otherwise I feel that even if you get railroaded into specific situations, your choices can still really change the tone and characters.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's canon in the series though that if you get bit in the arm and you amputate it fast enough you won't be zombified. Lee didn't cut his off fast enough and the infection spread so that's why he was doomed either way.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 15, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its ironic that if wasn't for Carver they'd probably all be zombie food long before Clem would ever run into them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

THE PWNER posted:

Kenny might be an idiot, but he's an idiot who at least tries to do things.
Despite Kenny being a real moron at times, I like that about him, he never gives up fighting. He refuses to just give up and die against the zombies (The one scene in the attic he has in the last episode of Season 1 was great) and he'd rather die than be a lapdog to some rear end in a top hat like Carver for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wellington is supposed to be up north in the Great Lakes region, right?

• Locked thread