Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

As far as I'm aware by the end everyone is either definitely dead or missing, the only exception being Omed and Christa, and thats only because you see them again at the beginning of Season 2. Everyone else is up in the air.

They were talking about the end of episode 104, not 105.

Unknowably pleased to see the Banang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

reparekt posted:

Yeah, the only notable timeskips are between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. Everything that takes place in Savannah is over the course of three or four days.

The time skips get quicker with each episode I think. It was supposed to be months, weeks, days, hours between episodes but I think it ended up being months, weeks, hours, minutes really.

THE PWNER posted:

I think it was a joke. Zombies show up when the plot dictates they should in both either way.

Yeah the Walking Dead doesn't really have a real sense of the passage of time or space, beyond what is dramatically interesting in the moment, and the repercussions of that moment rippling forward. You can't expect more than that (unless "more than that" happens to be dramatically interesting in the moment...).

PS: When written down or dissected, that method of storytelling sounds cheap and crass, but in practice/execution it's super fun to create and to experience, as long as story arcs can eventually be allowed to come in for a landing and have that landing satisfy on some level. Not all stories or story moments should work like Walking Dead does, but I'm glad Walking Dead works the way it does.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2014

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Sad/interesting fact about Telltale's Twitter/Facebook presence: People, by and large, eat it up. It baffles me, but it works.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Azubah posted:

The best part of Tales of Monkey Island was teaching a certain character how to solve a puzzle in an adventure game.

Oh man I forgot about that. The best part of Episode 2. Maybe Mark Darin's finest moment.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

It's half way through tales episode 2, I think.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Fans posted:

I think you have to Kill Larry and always side with Kenny afterwards.

Woof I used to have this written down! It's a little more complicated than that but I can't remember the specifics. Has to do with stealing the food, shooting the girl outside the drug store (which I guess is a Kenny thing?) and a couple other things as well. I can't remember if you have to do the majority of stuff or all of it to swing things.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

mycot posted:

Now watch the True Ending at the top of the OP.

We made an alternate ending for season one internally, when waiting for the game to go through certification while most of the team was on post-release vacation. It was similar to this in spirit, but involved Lee slicing heads off while doing flip jumps (thanks jurassic park game fight scene mocap!) and moonwalking (thanks back to the future game animation library!) down the road to the Marsh House. I miss it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Release this to the public, immediately.

I don't even know if it exists anymore! I'm glad its spirit lives on in that season two video though.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 2, 2015

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Szmitten posted:

When you picked up one of the many bananas scattered in the world, did the voice of Sean Vanaman say "That's the stuff"?

I also made that, actually, and sent it to Nick Breckon a little while after he started at Telltale. I had Vanaman record three random variants of "That's the stuff," so it wasn't the same sound every time you pick up a banana. (Thanks Tales of Monkey Island for providing me with an engine-ready banana to leave hovering and spinning around the Everett drug store to be collected.)

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

It has now been years since these story discussions back in 2011 (man does time fly!) so I am likely misremembering some details here, but this is my recollection of how Chuck came to be and why he is underused:

In early season one pitches, Chuck was Michonne - a character sho shows up when things are at their worst, tells you to get your poo poo together, and moves on - but the locations and timeline didn't work out at all so that was dropped from the story. That character arc didn't exist at all in episode 3 for a while and then it got reintroduced as Chuck the Hobo, initially amost as a joke, then it stuck.

Also, there was a time when Chuck could optionally live through the opening of ep 104 and exist through the first 2/3 of that episode, but it got cut down because episode 4 was already so big that it would have been impossible to produce on the already slim late-season schedule. I think that Chuck initially could optionally die in the end of 103, which would determine if he made it to 4. There was a good scene Gary Whitta wrote with Chuck eating beans in that abandoned manor house but I can't remember any more details than that. When we realized he was causing a ton of production bloat it was decided to at least let him go out a heroic badass at the start of 104 but I agree that he was underused. He was never meant to be a big character, but then both Vanaman and Whitta used him so well... But his time in the series was apparently fated to be short no matter what.

I think internallu he was always seen as a late add that was "one more thing" on top of everything else, so he was easy to make an argument for cutting or trimming out of the story. This attitude is almost impossible to shake when you're living in the moment. At the time of episode 103 it was almost impossible to get traction even on recognition of Omid and Christa as New Real Characters, because they weren't in the origibal group we spent so much time with. But in hindsight I think that getting over those hesitations is the only way to keep a Walking Dead story great over time. Walking Dead is a story of never ending churn, with new characters that could last years or minutes, but if you and the creator can't convince yourself that the new characters are just as important and worth fighting for and worth internalizing as full humans, as your "old friend" characters are, you're going to keep running into the same pitfall of not really knowing what to do with a character and deciding to just let them languish and die as zombie chum to further an old characters story. It's SO HARD to avoid, especially with the smaller cast the game sometimes has compared to the comic, but for instance maybe we could have killed Ben at the start of 104 and had that death launch Chuck into a new and surprising direction, instead of killing the newest character off to keep the same old characters propped up.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Rabbit Hill posted:

Wow, I read back through this whole thread and :yikes: at that ~50-page Kenny vs. Jane argument.

Because she's pale? She might be racially ambiguous, but caucasians aren't the only pale people (which is why "white" is dumb, and so is "race" for that matter).

Clem's skin tone also seems to just get lighter with each iteration. If you compare the first season one concept art to the last ep of season 2 and the toy it's weird to me.

• Locked thread