Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

It's almost like people outside of the SA forums are genuinely enthusiastic about the things they enjoy, and don't feel pressure from an insular community to maintain a veneer of cynical detachment from everything.

I think you've hit the nail on the head for some of the too cool for school attitude I've noticed. And it defintetly isn't just SA, but the internet as a whole. Like what you like, and be excited for what your are excited for.

I am very excited about episode 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

repiv posted:

Episode 2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5g_pQbBR0Y&t=135s

Jump to 2:15 if the embedded timestamp doesn't work.

"Can't shoot them. Too much noise. There's only two of them."
"Let's take them..."

gently caress YES

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I loved this episode and can't wait to play again tonight. Seriously gently caress this new group though. The moment Alvin asked me to check out the house for food, while slowly backing up to sit down, I cursed out load. Seriously you fat gently caress? Also the tension with the Matthew situation is probably the most tense I've felt in the entire series so far.

Question: Someone mentioned drinking whiskey. Where was it? I never saw that option.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If you use the rewind feature, you get to choose where to save it. You can either overwrite your current game, or put the new save in one of five save files I think.

I'm a big fan of this feature because I like to play an episode first with just my gut reactions and then go through it again with a certain type of character in mind. This makes it easy to skip past the parts in the beginning that I don't need to change.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Clem felt like such a bad rear end in this episode. Seriously, after several scenes with the Walkers I just had to take a breath.

Side note:
Did anyone else see the option to ask Carver "Do you have a dog?" after her tells you about where he lives? I thought that was a nice touch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Maybe this is just the way I'm reading into it, but I think if you play as trusting Luke, Clem is getting a little crush on him.

It's small things like the banter she has with him. And as a father of a daughter, I know when a little girl is making eyes at a boy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Agoat posted:

Did you guys sit with Kenny or the other guy at dinner?

Both. Luke if I'm playing the nice Clem who has warmed up to Luke for taking her serious and is kinda creeped out by Kenny. Sit with Kenny if I'm playing badass, take no-names, doesn't trust this new group of not-Lee's to tie her shoes. Kenny and her will take on the world.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

limited posted:

I'm pretty sure Clem's response is what tips that scene over even if you're pro-truth. Being silent just leads to Nick saying 'Nothing happened' and Walt is just too darn slow to stop him becoming zombie food after. Such a pity. So tragic. :haw:

I loved the responses to seeing what happens to Nick. [spoiler] I immediately went with hit walter. I didn't even see what the other options were. [\spoiler]

Just thinking about this episode makes me want to play it a 4th time. I don't think I've enjoyed an episode this much besides Episode 5 of season 1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1stGear posted:

This is the reason I could never do a DickLee run. :negative:

The most I can ever do is a run with Lee where he is a dick, but loves Clem.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Monathin posted:

Finally got around to playing S2E2 and MAN.

Rebecca's talk with you in this episode helped smooth out my reactions to her a lot, and I'm glad I didn't take the "i know it isn't his and i'm going to hold it over your head" option near the end of Ep 1. (Speaking of, does anyone know what she says to you in the lodge if you took that dialogue choice? She just told me that it wasn't Alvin's since she didn't know I already knew.)

My favorite bit with Rebecca is when we're talking in the woods, I took the choices that were more guarded if not downright hostile towards her. She's still trying to butter Clem up, when all of a sudden, Clem gets this "I don't give a gently caress what you have to say" look on her face and quickly darts off screen while Becca is still trying to talk to her. I found it satisfying to treat a person the way they should be treated after she basically tried to kill you in episode one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can't wait.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My favorite part of the trailer is what looks like Sarah losing her poo poo in a major way. The music is just spot on.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's also Interactive Fiction, which is like visual novels except without the pictures.

And if that's your thing, check out the "Choice of..." games. They have some really cool stories there for cheap.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I never got the it is a game/it's not a game argument. To me, if it has a great story that draws you in and you get invested in it, that's always been enough for me. Games without an engaging storyline, but with let's say great gameplay never hold me as long as the ones with the great storyline.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was able to download the game because I bought it from GMG and get it directly from the Telltale website. So far so good. I only got an hour in before I had to go to work. And I already restarted twice to redo some choices.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

how do you sleep at night

Poorly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I am only using the first scene to base this off, so it could get a lot worse, but did anyone else get serious creep-man vibes from Troy?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I went through the episode with my two Clems. Holding onto her humanity Clem and survival of the fittest and the people I like Clem. Man I loving knew Troy was a cock the moment he made the pee comment, and it was just downhill from there. I'm pretty sure Jane is a teenager so him wanting to gently caress her pretty much confirms my suspicions that given the opportunity he would have assaulted Sarah and/or Clem. I was so glad he loving bought it. I think I hated him more than Carver. Also, my 2nd Clem agreed to his way of thinking, but my motivation was to throw him off guard so I could find an opening. I like that the game allows you to kind of create your own internal story about Clem and her motiviations while not making much a difference in the choices from an objective point of view.

Also I am looking forward to the next episode, but I can't say the Next Time on the WDG preview did much for me. But those can change so much between then and now. That scene from the end of episode 2 with Kenny getting all up in your grill about loving up was never in here and I can't say I noticed him really ever getting onto Clem this episode.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also from what happened in episode 3 and the preview shown for episode 4 the preview images of the episodes seem flipped. We saw Clem rubbing blood on her face in this one, and the preview for 4 makes a big deal about Rebecca's pregnancy.

I really dug the music at the end of episode 3 during the zombie herd part and when you have decide if you are cutting the arm. I got a tribal vibe from it, like the creators are trying to convey a message of do you give into a more primitive nature.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't notice Carlos got shot until a 2nd playthrough. Also, I'm pretty sure Sarita will be with you for at least a little while, don't put any weight to the previews. As we've seen, they can change a lot between episodes. I was very surprised there was no chance for Nick to die in this episode. Generally when I have to chose between 2 characters dying, I expect the other one to die in the next episode. Can you get Carlos killed in episode 2?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just like Season 1, making choices isn't about unlocking a hidden part of the game you wouldn't otherwise see, or New Art. It's more about adding context to your character. Yes, every Lee ends up at the Marsh House, but there are very different Lee's out there depending on the kind of person you were.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Magitek posted:

There aren't enough :gonk:s in the world to convey just how painful that would have been.

The look on her face when it happens conveyed so much. Because Clem doesn't say anything. She just does it. So from an outside perspective, someone would have seen Clem run up and start hacking at Sarita's arm. Clem. The little girl. That's loving grizzly and I love it.

Every time I play a new episode, it makes me want to play all the other ones since it's usually been a bit of time since I did it. I started up a new Season 1 - now run and I just remembered how hosed SE1EP3 is. Jesus. Just Jesus. I haven't been truly shocked by much in the series, but Lilly shooting Carly in the face for no other reason than she pissed her off was nuts.

I don't know if we still spoiler Season 1, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

There are a lot of emotionally powerful moments in the Walking Dead so far. Which one did you find the most powerful? For me it will always be Finding out Duck was bitten and everything that happened as a result of that . Before that, people had died yeah, but nothing like this. After that, I knew nothing was off limits.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Now this is why I come to gaming forums. I am not being sarcastic. Seriously....Why do I feel like you don't believe me!?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I kind of like that there isn't this huge over-arching plot to this or Season 1. The motivations of season 1 could be summed up as Survive/Protect Clem. Season 2 is Survive/Decide what kind of person you are. That's enough for me. And for $25 at most, you really get your bang for your buck with these games.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So hyped. I really hope before this is all over, we have a chance to have Clem let down her barrier to someone she trusts and say how much she misses Lee or her parents. Girl's been through some poo poo.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Does Telltale.com release the episodes at midnight? I know I've been able to get them from their site on the day of as early as 7 am.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was able to download it before I left for work so I'll be avoiding this thread until I can read the CIA memos.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

With the talk of non-choices, I don't know why this is a thing still. It's been pretty clear since the season started that the choices are more there to add context to your character, not to be a choice your own adventure story. Heck they don't even have those little messages at the beginning any more that say your choices will change the story.

As for this episode, I played through with cutting off Sarita's arm and I know I shouldn't have been surprised with how that turned out for her but man it got me pretty good. And at that point I was like gently caress it and killed her in Kenny's arms. At that point, his anger towards me made sense. On my second playthrough, he was just being a dick blaming me for her death. But you know that's classic Kenny. Also, please don't make me kill you to protect that baby Ken. And Clem was totally attaching to Jane in a little sister way. I'm interested to see how episode 5 plays out. I enjoyed this episode a lot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I can see that, if mostly because the characters we've been with the longest this point are Luke and Rebecca and we haven't been able to have much callbacks with them. And Kenny is going a bit loco. Episode 5 of Season 1 had a lot of callbacks in it so maybe this one will too, we'll see. I honestly wish there were more options to be like I remember something from season 1, I like those kinds of things.

I can understand the criticism people have had for this season when comparing it to other TellTale games. How do you think this season compares to other games? I for one think it's better than most games I've played this year and was really enjoying the ride throughout the episode.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I liked this episode a lot and am playing through it again. There were a lot of fun moments that I haven't experienced in other games this year that set this one apart. Really Tell Tale is becoming my go to company. Looking forward to Game of Thrones.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This season feels like a lot of experimenting with the formula from Tell Tale. Not bad, not amazing, but something that brings out a wide gambit of responses from the audience. If they do make a Season 3, I'd like them to stick to a dedicated group that we can grow attached to, giving their inevitable deaths more impact.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I definitely won't be buying Telltale games Day 1 anymore. They're just going to run this series completely into the ground, Season 2 has already been retreading stuff from Season 1 and I can only see Season 3 being even worse about it.

Oh well, there's Campo Santo now, so its not a huge loss.

Serious question, have you not enjoyed playing Season 2. I'm curious if the game is considered not good by some when comparing it to Season 1 or when comparing itself to "good game" standards.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Makes you wonder if Season One was a right place right time kind of thing. It was pretty refreshing to care so much for the care of a fake video game child.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just came to post the new trailer. I liked it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I've actually really enjoyed Season 2 and TWAU as well more than other people seem to have. TellTale is still producing some high quality products in my opinion and I am psyched to get to play the finale next week. Also, really looking forward to Game of Thrones.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's almost impossible to follow up a game that was not only great, but also got everyone's attention. That kind of stuff is something you can't plan, at least not organically like with what happened in season 1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's a very incompetent group we've been stuck with and I hold that Tell Tale has done a good job of giving you good reasons to not like all these people and want to be the loner you can choose to be. This isn't the wonderful group we had in Season 1 that we wanted to fight and scratch and claw to protect and keep together. I won't go as far to say that these chucklefucks deserve what they get, but the certainly don't help their chances.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I really enjoyed that episode and think I liked it as much as the season 1 finale, but for different reasons. I liked all the different directions and enjoyed the little things that they hinted at without blatantly talking about it. For example, I'm pretty sure Christa's baby was killed horribly and it wasn't during child birth. Everyone keeps commenting on how good Clem is at handing a baby and one person even makes it a point to say it looks like you've done this before. Then later when Clem thinks AJ is dead, she starts mumbling to herself, no no not again. That fight scene at the end was loving hardcore and God drat everyone is crazy. I played through the episode 3 times and caught all the endings and I didn't find any of them stupid. Also the acting was high grade. This has put me in a mode for a Season 1 - 2 marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My two cents on Jane: I don't think she thought Kenny would got that crazy. According to her statements, she seems to think that he would get really mad and Clem would see how bad it was to be around him. I mean he jumps some loving hoops to think oh this girl killed the baby or intentionally left it to die. Motherfucker, it was a blizzard with zombies out there, why wouldn't you guess that it was an accident if the character said that. Then he keeps shoving Clem out of the way, and even after Jane puts the knife up he attacks her. And maybe Clem and Kenny have been through some poo poo, and maybe his ending is the most emotionally satisfying, but I couldn't just sit there and watch him murder this girl. gently caress Kenny and the hat he rode in on.

• Locked thread