Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's a weird bug where sound has a deadzone, I want to say it's a 45degree arc behind you apart from a small slice that's directly behind you but it's hard to be sure as it's really strange and inconsistent. Plus some directions are randomly louder than others. For example If I have a zombie on the other side of a wall, fence, or door on my left and it's smacking it's way through then it's going to be much louder than the zombie that's already right up in my face.

If I'm not actively running then I'll use toggle crouch, makes it harder for zombies to spot you and when they do the edge of the screen changes brightness, even when you're in a menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I've never noticed a brightness change when a zombie see's you, will look out for that.

Often it sounds like a single zombie is actually two or three as it seems to layer the sounds and repeat them before one has finished playing.

I really want to get stuck into a game of this. The stories and tips you guys are posting makes me want to, and feel like I can, put up with the issues.. I just hate having to put up with the frustrating features that can erase progress in an instant, I don't have time for that, but I love the insurmountable challenge aspect, just don't seek out to gently caress me over on a whim please?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Now that you can't just make an entire house from scratch day one, your best bet is finding a pre-built house and going up on top and securing it somewhat. Then spend your nights mining under it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's generally how I've always played, it's a lot of fun. Generally turns into an ugly shitshow as I attach upgrades but that's life in the post apocalypse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Now that you can't just make an entire house from scratch day one, your best bet is finding a pre-built house and going up on top and securing it somewhat. Then spend your nights mining under it.

Do not mine under your house

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The gas stations with the metal roof are a great way to survive ... anything, even horde night with 32 spawning at once.
If I started again, which I won't until a17, I'd build a temporary base on top of one until I've got all the resources to dig underground.

People mentioned dungeons earlier. What's that about?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Mr Hootington posted:

Why not? I haven't had any problems doing the old Minecraft trick, just going straight down until I hit bedrock, then expanding tunnels outwards from there. Just make sure to bring plenty of ladders and/or crates so you can get back out. Carving out the sides to make a ramp/steps you can ascend is doable, but a huge pain.

If you're going to make a pre-existing house your base, make sure you put your bedroll in a central location since it prevents spawns within a 14-block radius. Unless they've changed it recently, any pre-existing block within a Point of Interest has a chance to spawn a zombie even if you're cleared it out. It's a nasty surprise to come back from a day of exploring or a night of mining to have a zombie hanging around inside your completely sealed-off base.

Edit:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

People mentioned dungeons earlier. What's that about?

They added several kinds of buildings like skyscrapers, construction sites, pharmaceutical labs, etc. They're very tall and described as "vertical dungeons" in terms of loot, enemies, and size. Fully exploring one will take either several small trips or a long one where you'll need to make sure you bring food and are willing to spend the night.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 19, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I have not once caved in under my house. Don't mine a wide place under, mine like 10 blocks straight down before expanding it into a cave system.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Trip report: Game is better. Specific parts of the game are worse.

Better:
+resource gathering/scaling. I thought wood was too hard to get but after discovering flagstone at 5x the hp of wood is far superior and now I'm OK with that.
+zombie sleeper system. Provides compelling gameplay - looting is now risk vs reward as opposed to reward vs time. The spawning is broken though. new dungeons are awesome A+
+electricity. more fun systems to design, better tower defense if that's your thing, but I haven't played around with it too much just yet.
+crafting progression. No longer need to make a thousand stone axes

Worse:
-Zombie AI is garbage, zombies will sometimes lose you when you're standing right by them. Zombies will attack in random directions sometimes
-Minibikes still disappear, 5 major revisions later.
-low quality iron/steel tools are useless, it's almost always faster to harvest with a stone axe than with a <300 quality iron/steel equivalent. There's no reward to getting your forge up and running anymore.

Overall a few tweaks could fix some things, but the zombie AI should be priority one. I'll be more happy when they implement the behemoth and a few other late game challenges.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Did they nerf the payers stamina, or have I just never notice? Seems like Im stopping a lot more to let my stamina meter fill back up when hitting stuff with my pickaxe. Didnt seem like it was this bad with the 16 experimental version.

I am glad that the compund bow can use any kind of arrow now though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Christ some people are bad at this game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkN0tL_rjok

Spudalicious posted:

Worse:
-Zombie AI is garbage, zombies will sometimes lose you when you're standing right by them. Zombies will attack in random directions sometimes
-Minibikes still disappear, 5 major revisions later.
-low quality iron/steel tools are useless, it's almost always faster to harvest with a stone axe than with a <300 quality iron/steel equivalent. There's no reward to getting your forge up and running anymore.

Overall a few tweaks could fix some things, but the zombie AI should be priority one. I'll be more happy when they implement the behemoth and a few other late game challenges.

AI is borked, they implemented basic line of sight detection to fix stealth but pushed back sound and scent detection until A17. This makes zombies dumb as gently caress but still dangerous in groups.

Iron and steel tools have a soft level requirement built in. Think dark souls proficiency with dex vs strength weapons except in this case a stone axe scales with construction tool skill and the bad mechanic perk while metal tools mostly scale with mining tool skill and miner 69er.

JB50 posted:

Did they nerf the payers stamina, or have I just never notice? Seems like Im stopping a lot more to let my stamina meter fill back up when hitting stuff with my pickaxe. Didnt seem like it was this bad with the 16 experimental version.

I am glad that the compund bow can use any kind of arrow now though.

There was a bug in earlier versions. Anything that reduced stamina consumption was additive across all stamina drains. So the perk that gave 10% less stam usage from running amplified the one that gave 10% less stam usage with mining tools even if you were punching a zombie with an empty hand. Now they shouldn't interact.

A lot of the unfun nature of these changes would probably be fixed with temporary stat and skill buffs.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I think once they fix the weird spawning bugs everything should be great. It was always weird how abandoned buildings tended to be before. I like that they appear in buildings, just not that they (frequently) spawn on top of my head.

Call me carebear if you want, but what I really really want is the option to make all zombies old school Romero types (and maybe screamers). No dogs, no vultures, no feral glowing fast running bullshit. I want packs of slow moving zombies that easy to deal with alone and overwhelming in groups. I'm even good with tons of them at once, but the slower ones. I tried looking at the XML files though and it looks to be something of a nightmare to attempt to edit everything to be this way.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It looks worse than it really is once you get a handle on the layout.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

BlackCircle posted:

If I have a nagging complaint about this game its that the sound of zombies is not that great. I have a hard time telling where a zombie is at in relation to me or I will just have zombies make no noise at all and be hitting me before I even know whats going on. I had this happen earlier with a wandering horde that was just on top of me before I could react. No noise whatsoever.

I've had this complaint for at least a year: a single zombie makes so much noise that it's really hard to tell if there's another one behind you or something. As you kill a zombie it lets out some kind of waaarghghhghghghghghghghg death cry that takes a second or two more to play after the animation has finished. At first I used to think 'oh no, another zombie' but yeah it's just one zombie making 3 zombie's worth of noise. They could at least have certain sound clips for certain kinds of zombies or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The fat Hawaiian zombies make the same sounds as the cops. Quite the pantshitting moment when you here it as you break down a door.

They also need a ingame voice chat system of some sort. I want people near me to hear my squeals after I break into a building and 4 dogs spawn on me.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

They do! Press 'v'.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, these new migratory zombie herds keep scaring the heck out of me. Get up in the morning, do my farming, head across the trailer park to fire up my forge--look up to see a pack of fourteen zombies lumbering out of the woods directly towards me. That turned into five minutes of walking backwards bopping whatever was closest to me, then following the trail of lootable bodies back home.

I'm pretty sure I could hide from the herds if I saw them coming in time, but that one was on me before I could blink. Guess I need to thin out those woods.

That same morning I discovered that the punching zombie I'd been hearing all night was a farmer zombie angrily hewing a tunnel through one of the big boulders outside the park. He got about halfway through it!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
A wolf pack got spawned in and attacked my base, and it was about eight of those dire wolves and four of the normal ones. Are they the replacement to dog packs?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Commoners posted:

A wolf pack got spawned in and attacked my base, and it was about eight of those dire wolves and four of the normal ones. Are they the replacement to dog packs?

maybe when you are over level 100 mr fancy pants

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a wolf pack before day 7, but it was an older alpha.

I cowered on top of a car and spent half a day bashing wolves in the head with a club because holy gently caress the big ones have a lot of health.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, did they remove wood shingles and log cabin wood? I can't seem to find their recipes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Frionnel posted:

So, did they remove wood shingles and log cabin wood? I can't seem to find their recipes.

Yeah they did. Now you just make blocks/ramps and then paint them with a paint brush to get them how you want. The downside is that it's hard to get the equipment to paint, but the upside is that you can paint any material what you want, so you can make a wood cabin that's secretly made out of reinforced concrete.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

maybe when you are over level 100 mr fancy pants

Augers make you just shoot up in levels like crazy when you use them.

xzzy posted:

I got a wolf pack before day 7, but it was an older alpha.

I cowered on top of a car and spent half a day bashing wolves in the head with a club because holy gently caress the big ones have a lot of health.

Yeah luckily I was on my wall and they were on my spikes, so I just stood up there and blasted the whole back with maybe twenty shotgun sneak attacks before they finally died. They were doing the dog vaulting thing where they come dangerously close to just blasting over the wall.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 20, 2017

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
I skimmed the past few pages, is there a server goons are playing on? New to the game and hoping to play with pros.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

I skimmed the past few pages, is there a server goons are playing on? New to the game and hoping to play with pros.

64.94.95.162:22854 pass: lljk

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Is it PvP or PvE? I think both are (reasonably) valid but need a chillout game right now rather than being in super PvP paranoia mindset

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

All of us playing on it are PvEing

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Fayk posted:

Is it PvP or PvE? I think both are (reasonably) valid but need a chillout game right now rather than being in super PvP paranoia mindset

Note: Friendly fire is on unless you're friends. I forgot about that until I got sledged by a goon trying to get a zombie off of my back.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Ah, cool. I'll check it out then. Looks like I'm already 100 days behind. :)

I played on PowderKeg's server like... A14 or so.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Yeah they did. Now you just make blocks/ramps and then paint them with a paint brush to get them how you want. The downside is that it's hard to get the equipment to paint, but the upside is that you can paint any material what you want, so you can make a wood cabin that's secretly made out of reinforced concrete.

Oh, this is great actually, i have a bunch of paint material in a chest somewhere.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fayk posted:

Ah, cool. I'll check it out then. Looks like I'm already 100 days behind. :)

I played on PowderKeg's server like... A14 or so.

If you want three of us have a goon tower and spots for bedrolls still :). Unless the others say no

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What's the best mod to use for this game? My friends and I want to get into it but wanna change it up. I looked at the OP but I'm on my phone and it's like a million words.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I can't speak for A16, but at least prior to it, Valmod added a lot of QoL features/content, etc, and made the game better (imho).

It came in two flavors, one that just extended it and one that made it a little harder to start (ie, not everyone could build very much at first, etc).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Cool. I'll google it and see what's up.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I don't believe there are any mods 100% ready for A16 yet. Some people are using valmod but it's buggy as hell right now. TSBX would know better, he reads the forum more than I do. Maybe he'll post.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Valmod Overhaul hasn't been too bad, but it's still an alpha so you can't really blame it on unstable mods. I can't play vanilla anymore, overhaul has me spoiled.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Joined the goon server and I've spent a few nights in a hole next to a trader, wading in a pool of my own cowardice. I'm out and about clearing some houses and after cutting up a zombie corpse I look up and there's more than a dozen dogs running at me. :negative:

Cue logoff, gently caress that noise. Nope, nope nope nope. Nooooooope.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Newly spawned on day 127, during a blood moon. Got attacked while clicking through the intro messages, died.

Respawned and was instantly attacked, died.

GG, OmarCominYo.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TheObserver posted:

Newly spawned on day 127, during a blood moon. Got attacked while clicking through the intro messages, died.

Respawned and was instantly attacked, died.

GG, OmarCominYo.

Yeah, I've been playing it for a bit and people are keeping up the tradition of logging out at 21:59 on day 7 just so that you get to log in to zombies screaming at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
:xcom:

Just...imagine that says something appropriate. I don't have $20 or however much it is.