Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«146 »
Q8ee
May 31, 2013

AUTISMUS MACHT FREI

played this game with some friends. It got old, really, really fast. the amount of effort required to get a furnace, and the entire time we thought "boy, this took us ages to do, so surely the upgraded tools it provides will be worth the effort". we all made ourselves iron axes, and were excited to go out and chop wood really fast.

except the axes were garbage and only gave us +2 wood gathering per swing. we were all noobs so we'd died a bunch of times and were stuck constantly with 70 health and stamina, which was a major pain in the rear end. keeping ourselves fully fed and hydrated didn't boost our wellness back to max. our iron axes would be good for about 6 swings and then our stamina would be so low that we'd get +2 wood per swing.

it was a really painful and boring experience. on the 7th day, a zombie horde attacked us, but it was easily rebuffed since they killed themselves on our wooden spikes. after that, we did a bunch of looting, but the game got stale really quickly. the reward satisfaction was barely there, and everything was such a grind and a slog for subpar rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

If they could find a way to keep that early game feel while still allowing base building I'd play it a lot more. But when it turns into fending off bile spewing super zombies that melt bases I get bored and quit.

And playing 20 days then restarting doesn't quite scratch the itch either.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Get back. Move, get back! Don't you touch my stereo! THESE ARE MY RECORDS!!!

I kind of liked it when it was mainly a looting game a long time ago. But I always get bored because there is so much poo poo that they added to just get yourself established.

Snorkzilla
Apr 27, 2008

I've played a ton of hours in the past two years and I'm officially burned out. Maybe it's me maybe it's the game.

Q8ee
May 31, 2013

AUTISMUS MACHT FREI

I'm pretty sure it's the game. It's a constant slog, building isn't fun, basic stuff like log spikes takes a tonne of resources, the reward factor is less reward, more punishment.

I was really hype about this game, but man did getting hooked on it for two days really show me it's not a gem in the rough, it's just rough.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

xzzy posted:

If they could find a way to keep that early game feel while still allowing base building I'd play it a lot more. But when it turns into fending off bile spewing super zombies that melt bases I get bored and quit.

And playing 20 days then restarting doesn't quite scratch the itch either.

This was me too. The super zombies and cops spewing base-dissolving acid just isn't fun. I wanted to sort of be in that looting/exploring/build a normal fortification semi-roleplaying mode, but the later game just turns into MineCraft Gimmick Engineer where you have to design a game of Mouse Trap and break all immersion.

EDIT - And the fact that the changes they're talking about are zombies that are even more focused on destroying your base makes me wonder if it'll end up being a game I want to play again. Which is a shame because there's a lot here I love, and I've got a lot of hours in it.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I am 'sperging all over this thread too!

Yeah I wouldn't mind modding it to more of a romero-style, with lots and lots of regular shamblers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Which is easy to do if you're comfortable editing xml, I've done it for nomad no loot respawn playthroughs.

And it is a lot of fun but you need to have the "discipline" to avoid holing up in a giant base because it gets stale pretty fast.

enraged_camel
Jul 4, 2007

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The big problem is that the devs think bases shouldn't be safe and comfortable.

The real question is: why? If I spend 25 in-game days grinding my skills up, collecting shitloads of materials and building an awesome base, why should I not be rewarded with an area where I can dick around and not worry about threats?

Yes, sitting in a base gets boring quick. But to solve that they can add content that actually incentivizes players to get out and take risks. For example, you build a radio, then at 2 AM you receive an SOS transmission from another survivor. In the morning you hop on your bike, travel for half a day and find them holed up in a broken cabin, and they say that if you help them repair and reinforce their base and survive the next horde attack they will tell you the location of a secret cache, or become a vendor, or join you at your base, etc.

Or you have to rescue a small group of soldiers from the depths of a military bunker, and you have to fight your way through hordes of zombies to get to them before they get overwhelmed.

Another thing that would incentivize people to leave their base would be to tie wellness to variety of food consumed. That way you can't just hoard canned food or meat pies if you want to increase your wellness rating. You actually need to go out and find different types of food. Or maybe add a spoilage mechanism, or make stored food attract hordes. And so on.

Basically, players in general want to build cool poo poo and not have to constantly repair and replace bits and pieces of it. That just gets tedious and annoying and leads to burn out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wakey wakey to
this bowl of tasty

Yams Fan

Or take it one step further and use it recruit NPC's to come to your base that allows automating farming tasks. Turn you into some kind of "rebuilding society" mayor.

Or maybe not. Their most advanced AI to date is "run in straight line towards player and smash anything that gets in the way," maybe asking for NPC's is asking too much.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think your event idea is great. I think the idea of NPCs being more than the random dude at the invulnerable trading outpost would be awesome.

How much more interesting would it be that instead of just thinking about your little 6x6 plot of land, you could save/hire NPCs who'd help take care of various tasks or generate various resources, but need to be protected and have a certain amount of space? Speaking of Minecraft, I used to do that... I'd find a village and turn it into a city with tall buildings, underground areas, numerous apartments/houses, and cruise through the NPC vendor area that I made and threw all the vendors into.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003
I <3 Alton Brown.

Yeah this game for me has become "Wait for new alpha major revision...play new alpha until bored, repeat."

This one was neat at first, sleepers were a very cool addition, but the new horde mechanics and lack of effective defenses kinda kills the whole tower defense part of the game. Also the way it works now, if your gamestage is high and you run into any of the cool "vertical dungeons", you are guaranteed to have every zombie be a feral version, meaning they run during the day, making it far too lethal to go looting without high level armor and a decent sniper rifle. If you have these, why the gently caress are you still looting? Most of the things you want in the super-late-game are found either from cars (engines, radiators for brass), or traders.

In any case, they aren't planning any really neat gamechangers next patch, so I may just check back in a few years to see if it's still going or not. I'm pretty much over it.

TSBX
Apr 23, 2010

The A17 feature list is only things that are done. For whatever reason they decided to switch to only showing completed features instead of making a big list of a bunch of things they want to put in and then saying "This won't make it in, that's out." etc.

I know AI is one of their biggest goals because that paves the way for bandits and NPC's.

EDIT: Also just saw this: https://twitter.com/joelhuenink/sta...226420240928769

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Had quite a bit of fun playing this with a friend because we could do local co-op, an increasingly rare perk.

Lack of endgame is still sad, because you just kinda play it less and less as it becomes stale.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I still posit that this game is incredibly fun as long as you play max difficulty settings (Insane, highest zombie spawns, worst loot, no airdrops, etc.) and delete your save if/when you die the first time. Death normally softens the game's internal difficulty, so this way it just keeps scaling higher and higher, forcing you to actually try to survive. Once you've learned how the game works, everything else is too easy. Plus, permadeath gives you an incentive to start a new seed every now and then to keep things fresh,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I don't find the combat to be very much fun :\ Landing a melee hit feels really disconnected from the zeds, as well as their delated reaction. Animations that were responsive to the direction you're swinging in would go a long way.

«146 »