Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

Thanks all. I replaced all my torches with lanterns in the mine, and while there were definitely zombies attracted to the area they no longer beat on the doors to the house, instead they just milled around up above where I was mining, so I could wander up in the morning and kill them at my leisure. About to get my next horde in an hour game time, so I guess I'll see how my redone base does with 2x the zombies!

Just finished building my 4x4. It certainly has a lot of storage, but is it just perception, or is it actually slower than the motorcycle?

Definitely slower. Until I get a gyro, I use MC for outgoing and 4x4 for return, depending on how much poo poo I've salvaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Beach Bum posted:

Definitely slower. Until I get a gyro, I use MC for outgoing and 4x4 for return, depending on how much poo poo I've salvaged.
Can... you actually carry 4x4 in your backpack on your way there? Lol if so.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

woodenchicken posted:

Can... you actually carry 4x4 in your backpack on your way there? Lol if so.
Yes.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Lmao. I've never actually owned the drat thing. Too much levelling of the otherwise unneeded stat required. And while I could always buy one, the fact that you lose the vehicle if the game crashes while you're riding it, makes it a mug's investment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Why would you get one anyways? You can ride a Mad Max motorcycle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PMush Perfect posted:

Why would you get one anyways? You can ride a Mad Max motorcycle.

First time playing, must get everything!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Worth noting that the motorcycle is the fastest vehicle in the game. 4x4 is a waste of materials, unless you desperately need the extra storage.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I hadn't played in awhile so started a new map and got back in.
Been enjoying some of the changes, but having a problem with items.
I had found a tier 2 bow lvl 1, which I used for a bit, but have since found a lvl 2 and 3 which strangely both do the same damage.
Neither of which do as much damage as the lvl 1.
Is it because I dont have the ability to craft those tiers yet or is something else going on?
I have this same problem with just finding a lvl 5 iron spear, but not as much damage as my lv 3.
I have also done comparisons making sure any weapon mods were unloaded.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 14, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

in A18 they made it so that item stats are randomized, based on a range

the average for the range increases with item quality, but it is totally possible for a higher quality item to do less damage than a lower quality one, depending on the dice rolls

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Well thats silly, but completely logical for these guys.
If anything each lvl should have ranges higher then the previous one. But whatever.

Thanks

Also when crafting a vehicle that needs a battery, should I use a lovely lvl 1 or a higher one?
Not sure of it just gets consumed or lvl taken into account.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OgNar posted:

If anything each lvl should have ranges higher then the previous one. But whatever.

Thanks

Also when crafting a vehicle that needs a battery, should I use a lovely lvl 1 or a higher one?
Unless they changed something and didn’t tell anyone, battery quality doesn’t matter.

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

OgNar posted:

Thanks

The battery just gets consumed, so use your lovely one and save the higher level ones for battery banks.
Also, in regards to the RNG of items stats, it doesn't apply to items you craft, those items will always have the same stats.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GodofGravity posted:

The battery just gets consumed, so use your lovely one and save the higher level ones for battery banks.
Also, in regards to the RNG of items stats, it doesn't apply to items you craft, those items will always have the same stats.

Yeah that’s good to mention: crafted items always get the 50 percentile stat for their range

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah that’s good to mention: crafted items always get the 50 percentile stat for their range

I managed to hose myself because I didn't compare items not realizing that there was any sort of randomness to the stats by tier. I had a T5 steel shovel that when modded would dig a full block of soil in a single scoop. I found a T6 shovel and immediately modded it and scrapped the T5 for the steel tool parts... and now it takes me 2 scoops to dig a block of soil... welp. I don't even know if crafting a T5 would be better and I don't have enough steel tool parts right now to test it.

Question about mining - what sort of supports are needed for underground mining operations? Will the rock self-support if I'm deep enough unless I open a huge cavern, or is there a general rule of thumb to throw up a support every 'x' blocks apart? Do frames provide just as much support as wood/reinforced/cobblestone pillars?

Also on mining - I had a huge iron deposit that I dug my way to based on where the node was above ground, but it seems to be bottomed out right at the depth of my main tunnel. I mined upwards but I didn't want to get too close to the surface, so I eventually started a stand-alone mining pit for another deposit on the ground. I built a nice house above the large pit I opened up and then started chasing the ore sideways, but it seems to have petered out completely at only about 10 blocks deep into the rock. I dug down another 3 blocks in a fairly large area with no sign of iron or sand... Base on this I'm guessing that the size of ore deposits is random and they don't all reach down 30+ blocks into the stone like the first deposit I was mining from below? Is there any sort of general rule of thumb for deposit sizes or is it just completely random?

I'm kind of bummed about it running out because of the big structure I built for my quasi-open pit mining operation, but at least I found both oil shale and gunpowder deposits to mine while chasing the iron so it's not a complete waste.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

OgNar posted:

I had found a tier 2 bow lvl 1, which I used for a bit, but have since found a lvl 2 and 3 which strangely both do the same damage.
Tier two have two mod slot instead of one. Each mod also increase damage by 15% plus whatever effect they have.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

I had a hell of a time getting this game to run without crashing, but I found that making it run as administrator helped a lot, and separately turning off any kind of anti-aliasing did as well for early saves. I was able to turn AA back on after the admin permission though and it seems to be stable enough last time I tried.
All of my crashes were caused by dynamic music. Turning it off, rather than just turning it down, was the fix for me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

know what sucks.. when you pick up a forge.. if it's got poo poo in it.. that poo poo is gonezo
Luckily I found an iron mine and got stacks on stacks on stacks of iron

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nyaa posted:

Tier two have two mod slot instead of one. Each mod also increase damage by 15% plus whatever effect they have.

I don't believe that's true.

Based on my observations in alpha 18(latest version) the mods actually work as follows:

T1 & T2: 1 mod slot
T3 & T4: 2 mod slots
T5: 3 mod slots
T6: 4 mod slots

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The Locator posted:

I don't believe that's true.

Based on my observations in alpha 18(latest version) the mods actually work as follows:
They keep changing thing every ver! :argh:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So I cranked up my looting perk before I even unlocked the minibike and got the Gyrocopter schematics early.
Built it, but can't seem to get it flying.
Can get it off the ground but once its up, the prop just stops.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Zombies are so stupid (duh). I dug a nice pit for them to fall in, which they did, but I also dug them a nice escape tunnel so that they could get out of the pit and then walk in a nice path back to the pit to fall back in again (i.e. I made a firing range with moving targets).

Instead of nicely walking out the tunnel, they get all jammed up in the tunnel and ended up digging a huge hole in it where they can't get to the exit. Yeesh. So now I widened their escape tunnel and made it completely out of reinforced concrete and gave them nice smooth ramps (wedge inclines) to walk up out at the end. Next horde night I will see how that goes. I also replaced the walls of the pit with reinforced concrete wedges to slide them back away from under my base to where I can shoot them in the pit, but more so that they would see the tunnel as the best way to go instead of digging the pit deeper and hiding.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

So I cranked up my looting perk before I even unlocked the minibike and got the Gyrocopter schematics early.
Built it, but can't seem to get it flying.
Can get it off the ground but once its up, the prop just stops.

you need to hold w the whole time.. then use space to point the nose up and some other key to point the nose down.
I cheated and creatived in a gyro when I was moving to make it not take 20 trips in the trukk.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Got into this via neebs and glock9 videos, but unfortunately we just have Xboxen instead of gaming PCs in the house. It's a real peach trying to look stuff up on the internet when most of it is written up for the newest alphas and we're effectively stuck on A15 (I think?).

But the wife and kid and I are still having a good time, and it allows a safe space for screaming at each other to "just kill the drat zombies", "no you have the wood spikes!" "I put them in the storage at the other house!"

That being said, is there a good wiki out there for the xbox/console versions? Or do I just continue to stumble around?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have read a book that says I can harvest brass doorknobs from doors, but so far I've not seen a doorknob from a door. Is it only a specific type of door? Did a google search and most of the posts talking about brass doorknobs are about much earlier versions of the game and not related to the book/perk other than one saying how awesome it was!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

I have read a book that says I can harvest brass doorknobs from doors, but so far I've not seen a doorknob from a door. Is it only a specific type of door? Did a google search and most of the posts talking about brass doorknobs are about much earlier versions of the game and not related to the book/perk other than one saying how awesome it was!

My hot tip for brass is radiators from houses. Just hit them with picks and smelt the radiator. Like 200 brass each.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

My hot tip for brass is radiators from houses. Just hit them with picks and smelt the radiator. Like 200 brass each.

You can also get them from taking apart cars as well. I believe there is an apartment/hotel/whatever building that has a bunch of brass faucets too. Brass issues is one of the things that caused my current multiplayer game to fizzle and move on to a new map (we're trying out a nitrogen map).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, I knew about the radiators (both home/hotel and car), but I'm just wondering what's up with the perk to get doorknobs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Maybe a wrench disassembly thing?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
iirc every time you break down a door with an axe with that perk you get like 5-10 brass

it's not much but it adds up if you destroy every door you go through

the real trick to more brass is money, the coins are brass and they smelt into it

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

President Ark posted:

the real trick to more brass is money, the coins are brass and they smelt into it

This is the real answer, duke coins are the easiest way to get brass by far and you can drop 40k in a forge and walk away while it smelts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bondematt posted:

This is the real answer, duke coins are the easiest way to get brass by far and you can drop 40k in a forge and walk away while it smelts.

I remember this being no longer the case in the most recent minor patches. I may be wrong though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I remember this being no longer the case in the most recent minor patches. I may be wrong though.

Still works fine, I've smelted down some and I dropped a stack of 20k in and it started smelting no problem.

In regards to the brass doorknob perk, I did some running around and deconstructing of different doors, and here is what I found:

Regular wooden door (door plank graphic) whether reinforced or not - wood only.
Wooden door where actual brass fittings are visible (knob or handle) - get a brass doorknob when you smack it with an axe.
White/Blue doors like you find in commercial buildings (hospital, etc.) with no brass fittings visible - 2 to 5 bits of brass. I don't know if this needs the perk or not.

Another deconstruct source for brass from radiators is air conditioning units. They appear to give a radiator every time just like the steam radiators in buildings. Radiators give 250 brass each when smelted in the forge.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

IIRC I found a book that taught me doors have doorknobs and that doorknobs are brass. Prior to reading this book I do not believe I received brass from smashing up doors. And after reading the book, I specifically received doorknobs.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What the gently caress is a "door knob?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Parallelwoody posted:

What the gently caress is a "door knob?"
Here read this book.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Here read this book.

Well who knew!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So if anyone here wants a modded experience with other people, I have a Ravenhearst server up at 104.246.132.142 pw: lljk

Thankfully, other people's progress doesnt affect you anywhere near as much as RH has car respawns and personal GS.

Running a desert oasis map, 8k.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just looked that mod up and holy poo poo. :stonklol:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

PMush Perfect posted:

I just looked that mod up and holy poo poo. :stonklol:
There are a lot of great mods out there that fully revamp the system. (60+ backpack space, thank god)

Too bad most of them thinks the game is not hard enough and decides to dial up the difficulty or recreates awful 'realism' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The base game is definitely not hard enough on the default difficulty setting once you learn the mechanics and figure out how to trivialize them (intentionally or subconsciously).

Regarding realism, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, most "realism" features added to games tend to just make things more tedious. On the other hand, there is a lot about "realism" that could actually benefit this game, such as food spoilage mechanics (and mitigating it to various degrees with coolers/fridges/freezers for instance).

My biggest issue in general is that there is no real late-game to speak of. After you get decently geared up and establish a base, the sense of constant danger goes away, and you start to optimize your gameplay based on meta elements like questing. Survival elements (food/water/disease/temperature) stop being a concern almost entirely.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 19, 2020