Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

enraged_camel posted:

Regarding realism, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, most "realism" features added to games tend to just make things more tedious. On the other hand, there is a lot about "realism" that could actually benefit this game, such as food spoilage mechanics (and mitigating it to various degrees with coolers/fridges/freezers for instance).

No way man, how am I supposed to store my 3000 snowballs??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Locator posted:

No way man, how am I supposed to store my 3000 snowballs??

in the icebox!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If there’s going to be food spoilage, farming needs to be achievable early mid game without rushing it again. Rotten Flesh (and hunting) just isn’t common enough to support building large farms early.

Maybe crank up the spawn rate of rabbits so even once you’ve cleaned out local looting of its canned food, you can still eat. Nomadic early game would be basically necessary otherwise.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As a related note, if you haven't yet tried to play at 25% or even 50% loot abundance setting, I strongly recommend giving it a try. Even with every other setting at default, it becomes a completely different game when you're forced to become more and more reckless as starvation sets in.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I may be misremembering since it’s been years but I think food spoiled back in a super early Alpha. Back when you also had a smell range to where zeds would find you if you carried food.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kizurue posted:

I may be misremembering since it’s been years but I think food spoiled back in a super early Alpha. Back when you also had a smell range to where zeds would find you if you carried food.

I just got Ravenhearst going on 18b4, that has spoiling for food in it. Then again, RH has plenty of other things to be worried about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kizurue posted:

I remember this too! Not sure if it’s the same game though.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Earlier builds had uncanned foods give off a smell range based on if the item was in a container, in your bag, or on your belt. It was always annoying when you ate something while hiding because it seemed to send out a ping to all local zeds.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still instinctively go on high alert whenever I have raw meat in my inventory.

Question for everyone. If you had to choose just one stat to pump (and could theoretically guarantee eventual access to things like a purchasable motorcycle and necessary schematics so Int isn't an obvious shoo-in), which would you choose? I think any of them make a solid choice, but I'd probably go Strength. Pack Mule, Sexual T-Rex and Mother Lode are all solid, reinforced iron clubs are still an excellent weapon. Downsides, I'd say that paper being significantly harder to get in high quantities than brass could become an issue. Alternatively, going full nomad and living entirely off missions and looting, Agility could be extremely good. With spears and bows, you've got great stealth attacking options. On the other hand, pistols kiiiinda suck.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I only went as high as bicycle with my points but have built the truck, motorcycle and gyro all from level 3 looting of schematics.
I think going low-mid on pack mule is good enough as I have found +2-3 inv mods constantly before finding the schematics for them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So after dipping my toes in the water with a game set on the easiest setting with loot and xp turned up, and 14 day horde, I started a new game with default difficulty settings and 7 day horde with horde set to 16 instead of 8.

Just finished the day 7 horde, and holy crap I thought I wasn't going to make it as they broke through my defenses that I thought were more than adequate at about 11:45pm. I was holding my own with a level 4 AK-47 that I found somehow, as they all charged through the door into my bullets, but I was certain I was going to run out of ammo and die when.. they just stopped coming.

I thought that the horde kept spawning continuously until the morning, but a few minutes after midnight I killed the last one, and the next 4 hours were completely silent.

Is that normal? I never saw that in my easy game.

I was obviously mistaken that for the first horde night I could just kill them all at my crafting base (cobblestone with an iron door), so the next 7 days are going to be all about building an actual horde base of some sort, although with nothing but L2 iron tools this is gonna be a lot of work. I also don't have a mixer yet, but I did just get a minibike, so that will help a lot with my mobility.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It has definitely happened to me before, but I've never been able to tell why. I don't think the devs have elaborated either. It might be some sort of bug.

Officially, the only thing that stops a blood moon horde is if you die (in single player), I think.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Locator posted:

I also don't have a mixer yet, but I did just get a minibike, so that will help a lot with my mobility.
If you want to spend this week running missions and climbing the tech tree instead of preparing for the horde, a gassed up minibike can outspeed a horde while you're holding shift, so you can just ride your rear end off all night.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

If you want to spend this week running missions and climbing the tech tree instead of preparing for the horde, a gassed up minibike can outspeed a horde while you're holding shift, so you can just ride your rear end off all night.

Thanks, but that doesn't really sound like a lot of fun to me. :D

enraged_camel posted:

It has definitely happened to me before, but I've never been able to tell why. I don't think the devs have elaborated either. It might be some sort of bug.

Officially, the only thing that stops a blood moon horde is if you die (in single player), I think.

Interesting. Guess I just got lucky! Thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah i don't like doing the whole "ride around in a vehicle during blood moon instead of fighting" thing because it's extremely obviously an exploit and feels very cheesy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

because it's extremely obviously an exploit and feels very cheesy.
To be fair, so are most ways of surviving large hordes as a solo player.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

enraged_camel posted:

The dev did or at least it's noted in the xml. The total amount are determined by the game stage and every other spawn are paused within the time frame of bloodmoon..

There IS a code that let you enable continuous bloodmoon spawn, but only at a harassment-level of zombies to keep you occupied. Maybe it can be adjusted.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Locator posted:

I thought that the horde kept spawning continuously until the morning, but a few minutes after midnight I killed the last one, and the next 4 hours were completely silent.

Is that normal? I never saw that in my easy game.

To elaborate on this, each blood moon there are three 'waves' of zombies determined by your gamestage. The waves aren't really apparent or spawned-in as such, and they can be of arbitrary size/complexity, but the point is that if your gamestage is low enough on the first blood moon, it's more than possible to exhaust the total amount of zombies allocated for that night. Odds are if you play well enough, Day 14 and beyond will have waves too large/difficult to reliably kill before sunrise, giving the impression of 'infinite spawning' all night.

Also note that the 'zombies per blood moon' setting is more of a performance option than a difficulty modifier; it doesn't increase the amount of zombies spawned total, just the amount allowed to be alive at a time so your computer doesn't loving explode. If you had a higher cap (and as such, no spawning 'bottleneck' to artificially slow the waves) and were killing them very quickly, it's only natural to exhaust them faster.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

To be fair, so are most ways of surviving large hordes as a solo player.

I mean, if you're building your base such that hordes run around in circles all night without attacking anything, sure. But there are a ton of different ways to build bases and most of them aren't designed to trivialize zombies completely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My way is best, though. I built a traditional base and turned zombie blood moon speed down to jog.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

To elaborate on this, each blood moon there are three 'waves' of zombies determined by your gamestage. The waves aren't really apparent or spawned-in as such, and they can be of arbitrary size/complexity, but the point is that if your gamestage is low enough on the first blood moon, it's more than possible to exhaust the total amount of zombies allocated for that night. Odds are if you play well enough, Day 14 and beyond will have waves too large/difficult to reliably kill before sunrise, giving the impression of 'infinite spawning' all night.

Also note that the 'zombies per blood moon' setting is more of a performance option than a difficulty modifier; it doesn't increase the amount of zombies spawned total, just the amount allowed to be alive at a time so your computer doesn't loving explode. If you had a higher cap (and as such, no spawning 'bottleneck' to artificially slow the waves) and were killing them very quickly, it's only natural to exhaust them faster.

Thanks, that's probably what happened as I had surrounded my base with like 6 layers of spike traps and they were getting killed by myself and my junk turret fairly rapidly so I guess I just ran out!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I trivialize it by building my house on an island above the sea. Zombie can only walks in water. You could also build moat instead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I trivialize it by building my house on an island above the sea. Zombie can only walks in water. You could also build moat instead.
I might do that once I finally build a gyrocopter.

I also play with double XP solo, because otherwise it takes forever to be decent at anything.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'll mostly just build a treehouse at the top of like a tall mast or a smokestack. A very intuitive thing to do, and works as you would expect. Kinda boring, but I guess after the meatgrinder of the early alphas, I just can't bring myself to build something inefficient on purpose?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

I'll mostly just build a treehouse at the top of like a tall mast or a smokestack. A very intuitive thing to do, and works as you would expect. Kinda boring, but I guess after the meatgrinder of the early alphas, I just can't bring myself to build something inefficient on purpose?
Don't they knock nerd poles down pretty fast now that multiple zombies hitting the same block has a damage multiplier?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

yes

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I use existing structures, like radio towers, etc., and they all have many, many cubic meters of concrete/iron at their base. It'd honestly be hilarious if they managed to knock me down, but no.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

PMush Perfect posted:

I also play with double XP solo, because otherwise it takes forever to be decent at anything.
I find it more enjoyable to do double skill point since it makes you more self-sufficient for solo playstyle and doesn't increase game stage with level.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

PMush Perfect posted:

If there’s going to be food spoilage, farming needs to be achievable early mid game without rushing it again. Rotten Flesh (and hunting) just isn’t common enough to support building large farms early.

Maybe crank up the spawn rate of rabbits so even once you’ve cleaned out local looting of its canned food, you can still eat. Nomadic early game would be basically necessary otherwise.

yeah but the sort of nerds who mod in things because *~realism~* would make that not work either; if you try to live on a diet of only rabbit you'll starve to death with a full stomach

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nyaa posted:

I find it more enjoyable to do double skill point since it makes you more self-sufficient for solo playstyle and doesn't increase game stage with level.

I've never seen this. Is it a mod? I don't see anything in the game settings that would do this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

I've never seen this. Is it a mod? I don't see anything in the game settings that would do this.

It’s in the options when you start a new world.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

tuyop posted:

It’s in the options when you start a new world.

Thanks, didn't realize that the options changed from starting a new world to continuing one.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's there in the continue screen too. Tempting me forever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’d need to start a whole new world since I’m already pretty high level, which sounds awful but also I don’t think it’s gonna be long now before I start seeing zombie bears charging my fort.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

woodenchicken posted:

It's there in the continue screen too. Tempting me forever

Either I'm blind or we are talking about different things.

Here are the options in both the basic and advanced tab on my continue screen. 18 b4 version on PC. Nothing here about skill points per level, only an XP Multiplier.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought double skill point meant XP multiplier 200%. My bad

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It can only done on the xml. Some mod also does it.

Unless they changed the file in the latest version, it's in progression.xml, then look for something like skill points per level.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nyaa posted:

It can only done on the xml. Some mod also does it.

Unless they changed the file in the latest version, it's in progression.xml, then look for something like skill points per level.

This makes much more sense to me. Thanks!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Building one main base for all storage and crafting purposes and using a nearby radio mast as Horde Fortress has worked well for me.

Those masts can take an unbelievable amount of punishment, and by the time the structural damages get worrisome, you already have plenty of concrete to reinforce with

e: as the old saying goes; you work underground, and you fight over ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nosfereefer posted:

Building one main base for all storage and crafting purposes and using a nearby radio mast as Horde Fortress has worked well for me.

Those masts can take an unbelievable amount of punishment, and by the time the structural damages get worrisome, you already have plenty of concrete to reinforce with

e: as the old saying goes; you work underground, and you fight over ground

I'm doing the exact opposite for my horde base. I'm digging! I've dug a nice smooth ramp for the zombies to walk down, and at the bottom is my pit of despair where they will hopefully all fall so I can kill them from my underground fortress of solitude on the opposite side of the pit. I am admittedly abusing the fact that zombies have a hard time walking along the top of the narrow wedge tip blocks, which span the pit between the ramp and myself.

As a bonus, by being deep in the comforting womb of the earth, those loving birds can gently caress off and fly around all they want and I'll never see them!