Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

woodenchicken posted:

I thought double skill point meant XP multiplier 200%. My bad

Same, oops.

Afaik you don’t actually want to double your XP though because it’ll drive your game stage through the roof before you have a chance to find items to deal with irradiated vulture soldiers and whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Locator posted:

I'm doing the exact opposite for my horde base. I'm digging! I've dug a nice smooth ramp for the zombies to walk down, and at the bottom is my pit of despair where they will hopefully all fall so I can kill them from my underground fortress of solitude on the opposite side of the pit. I am admittedly abusing the fact that zombies have a hard time walking along the top of the narrow wedge tip blocks, which span the pit between the ramp and myself.

As a bonus, by being deep in the comforting womb of the earth, those loving birds can gently caress off and fly around all they want and I'll never see them!

they need to bring back jail doors so you can complete the whole sex dungeon vibe

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

The Locator posted:

I'm doing the exact opposite for my horde base. I'm digging! I've dug a nice smooth ramp for the zombies to walk down, and at the bottom is my pit of despair where they will hopefully all fall so I can kill them from my underground fortress of solitude on the opposite side of the pit. I am admittedly abusing the fact that zombies have a hard time walking along the top of the narrow wedge tip blocks, which span the pit between the ramp and myself.

As a bonus, by being deep in the comforting womb of the earth, those loving birds can gently caress off and fly around all they want and I'll never see them!

To be honest, I just build a cage at the top of the tower. The birds get the bullet as they're pecking at the iron bars above me.

Seriously, the vultures are the worst. They're like homing bleeding missiles with horrible hit boxes.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nosfereefer posted:

To be honest, I just build a cage at the top of the tower. The birds get the bullet as they're pecking at the iron bars above me.

Seriously, the vultures are the worst. They're like homing bleeding missiles with horrible hit boxes.

I like them for their feathers, but yeah they are annoying as hell. I always put bars over me because of them, but they are truly annoying when I'm riding along outside, they dive bomb me, get me bleeding and infected so I jump off the bike with a shotgun (or even a spear or whatever) ready and then they are like "I think I'll just circle the sun up here for a while and cackle at that dude on the ground bleeding, no need to go back down there now"... until of course I get back on the bike... *zoom* comes the bird...

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

The Locator posted:

I like them for their feathers, but yeah they are annoying as hell. I always put bars over me because of them, but they are truly annoying when I'm riding along outside, they dive bomb me, get me bleeding and infected so I jump off the bike with a shotgun (or even a spear or whatever) ready and then they are like "I think I'll just circle the sun up here for a while and cackle at that dude on the ground bleeding, no need to go back down there now"... until of course I get back on the bike... *zoom* comes the bird...

Pretty sure it was earlier in this thread, but their 'attack wounded players' AI considers the vehicle's HP as your HP when you're on it. It's weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tuyop posted:

Same, oops.

Afaik you don’t actually want to double your XP though because it’ll drive your game stage through the roof before you have a chance to find items to deal with irradiated vulture soldiers and whatever.
I can confirm this. I'm on always-walk with double XP and it's still pretty hectic at night.

Edit: On the bright side, my gear is amazing because I can just constantly do rank 5 missions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My new underground horde night base worked pretty much perfectly, and I ran out of zombies to kill a few minutes after 1am. By about 2:30 I was bored of waiting so I ran outside and killed a couple birds that swooped down on me, ran across the road to my crafting base and grabbed materials and by 4am and the end of the blood moon, I had the base fully repaired.

I used maybe 300 rounds of 9mm, another 300 or so rounds of 7.62, and 1000 or so junk turret ammo, oh, and 50-60 iron tipped arrows. Junkie does some seriously good work in that narrow entrance.

There was a single block on the opposite side of the pit from me that was down to only a couple hundred HP, and one block on my side of the pit that was down to about half, but that one is where the blocks are actually double thickness. Other than that very minimal damage, maybe 2 other blocks that needed more than a single click of the repair hammer to fix up.

I was kind of worried about falling off the edge while shooting down into the pit, although those angled blocks I added at the bottom did a great job of keeping the targets away from the edge a bit allowing me not to have to be hanging right over the edge! I need to figure out some way to redo the top to allow me some guard rails so my clumsy self doesn't end this run through a stupidity fall.

On the surface they did smash through the walls of the building I put over the ramp, on both sides. I guess the walk to the big opening was just a bridge too far for them. The surface building was primarily built to keep me from accidentally driving my scooter into the depths because it was pretty drat hard to see and just putting up blocks was ugly.

Overall I consider this a great success, and see no reason why it can't handle night 21 without a problem, especially if I improve it a bit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

reinforced concrete on day 13 and at level 40 is pretty good -- are you running double skill points?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

reinforced concrete on day 13 and at level 40 is pretty good -- are you running double skill points?

Double xp, I had no idea there was a way to change skill points!

Building that base was worth several levels, every time I dropped a reinforced concrete block it was over 1000xp or something silly like that.

When I die and start another game I'm going to bump the difficulty one more notch (it's on the default now, which I guess is one below 'normal') and switch to double skill points and no extra xp and see how that goes.

With a couple of furnaces and a mixer (which I unlocked on day 8 or 9?) concrete and reinforced concrete is just a matter of getting stone, and keeping the machines running. I have a fairly long mine under my crafting base, and of course digging out the hole for this base, generates a lot of stone, which can be turned into sand and cement pretty easily. I also have a rather large forest going across the road in a large empty field and I keep replanting 2 for every one I chop down.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The next update is supposedly going to drop a few skill trees from 5 points to 3 and some more poo poo is getting added like weapons.
I'm waiting to start a new map for that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, new POIs and stuff as well, so you'll definitely want a new map regardless of anything else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe they'll merge Well-Insulated with something else so it'll finally be worth taking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Devs did a playthrough of A19 last night, which generally indicates that release is soon. It might drop as early as Monday. The forums say "late June/early July" though, so :shrug:

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Devs did a playthrough of A19 last night, which generally indicates that release is soon. It might drop as early as Monday. The forums say "late June/early July" though, so :shrug:

Stream weekend is the 26th with experimental on the 29th, dates are tentative (obviously).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Here's a link to the dev video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQkZ1l0H34

Scrubbed through about 45 minutes of it, some upcoming things:

More onscreen icons (bedrolls, claim blocks). Spears are marked with icons on your HUD when you throw them so you don't lose them.
"new crit system" - they didn't explain this one very well, it looks like when you're injured or have other states affecting you, they're more clearly blocked off in health/fatigue bars so you can see what's affecting them.
Added very thin food/water bars under toolbelt (similar to the xp bar on the top)
"no penalty for being partially hungry now" - you have to hit a certain threshold before your fatigue/health start taking a hit (unlike the current system I guess where your fatigue is 1-1 with food/drink).
trader quests - when you complete a tier of quests, you get a new quest directing you to another trader. Eventually when you find all the traders, you're sent to the "two faction bosses" and main quest will be revealed
"vehicle breakdown system" to balance "OPness" of vehicles, no real details provided.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bruteman posted:

trader quests - when you complete a tier of quests, you get a new quest directing you to another trader. Eventually when you find all the traders, you're sent to the "two faction bosses" and main quest will be revealed
God dammit, I just stopped playing, I don't need something cool like this dragging me back in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

God dammit, I just stopped playing, I don't need something cool like this dragging me back in.

I'm sure it wont have a major change for quite awhile, time for fixes to any problems instituted with this one before you start another.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah that last bit isn't going to be implemented yet, just the traders leading to other traders part.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll probably be skipping A19 and just jump back in at A20, then. (Or I'll be weak after a few months when I find out that A20 won't be done until 2022. :shrug:)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Second dev stream with character artists showing off art, new zombie designs, etc.: https://twitch.tv/652144867

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Anyone playing Xbox have a sure method of mining nitrate powder? All the videos I've looked up have given me bupkis and we're coming up on night 42. Im resigned to riding around breaking rock clusters in a mad dash for ammo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

nullscan posted:

Anyone playing Xbox have a sure method of mining nitrate powder? All the videos I've looked up have given me bupkis and we're coming up on night 42. Im resigned to riding around breaking rock clusters in a mad dash for ammo.

I think the console version is behind, so not sure if true.
But have you been mining undeneath those rock clusters?
The clusters are just indications of a vein.
Also I think the desert has way more.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OgNar posted:

I think the console version is behind, so not sure if true.
But have you been mining undeneath those rock clusters?
The clusters are just indications of a vein.
Also I think the desert has way more.

This. Dig down you goon who isn't in a well.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

We're effectively on A13 i think. Pretty hard to find stuff that applied to console in the wikis or YouTube, unfortunately.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

nullscan posted:

We're effectively on A13 i think.
You poor bastard.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anyone itt with some knowledge about the Darkness Falls mod? I recently gave it a try and while I do enjoy it, my the performance of the mod is pretty rough. My PC isn't amazing but I can play the vanilla game around half quality without issues. For DF I had to crank it down to a quarter and it still is messy. Loading into my save takes a long rear end time and I have to stand in place for a couple of minutes before I can move without lag/choppy fps. The performance seems to level out after like 10 mins of play but there still are occasional hiccups where the game freezes for a minute or two before coming back. It also locks up fully if I click my mouse during those moments :v:

Basically I'm just looking for some possible tweaks I could do to improve the performance. But I expect it to be a lost cause due to my hardware and the mod not being well optimized. I'm playing through the mod launcher btw. Just fyi in case the mod happens to perform better if you play from a manual instal

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Anyone itt with some knowledge about the Darkness Falls mod? I recently gave it a try and while I do enjoy it, my the performance of the mod is pretty rough. My PC isn't amazing but I can play the vanilla game around half quality without issues. For DF I had to crank it down to a quarter and it still is messy. Loading into my save takes a long rear end time and I have to stand in place for a couple of minutes before I can move without lag/choppy fps. The performance seems to level out after like 10 mins of play but there still are occasional hiccups where the game freezes for a minute or two before coming back. It also locks up fully if I click my mouse during those moments :v:

Basically I'm just looking for some possible tweaks I could do to improve the performance. But I expect it to be a lost cause due to my hardware and the mod not being well optimized. I'm playing through the mod launcher btw. Just fyi in case the mod happens to perform better if you play from a manual instal

Unfortunately 7D2D doesn't have much in the way of performance enhancements, so your options are pretty much lower settings or better hardware. Being an overhaul style mod also means DF is going to require more resources than the base game.

There is a small chance that the install didn't work correctly and you can try deleting everything and reinstalling the mod. Also make sure you have the correct version of 7D2D downloaded if you're having the mod launcher copy from your steam install.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So hey, this game is on sale, and I like to murder zombies, hunt for loot, and not-dying. I'm not super big on the eating/farming aspects of survival, but I can deal with it if the action is not-frustrating and scavenging runs aren't depressing.

Also, I intend to play entirely single player, unless some dumb idiot wants to join me.

Should I throw cash at this game or what?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Morter posted:

So hey, this game is on sale, and I like to murder zombies, hunt for loot, and not-dying. I'm not super big on the eating/farming aspects of survival, but I can deal with it if the action is not-frustrating and scavenging runs aren't depressing.

Also, I intend to play entirely single player, unless some dumb idiot wants to join me.

Yeah, the game is excellent single player, and even better if you get friends to drop in.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Morter posted:

Sure, there's plenty of dumb idiots like me that like to jump in for straight co-op.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The good aspect isn't terrible you cns get mods to remove food poisoning or even just creative yourself a stack of antibiotics.

I hate games with punishing food mechanic and it's not awful in my opinion.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Playing solo I’m almost always absolutely stocked on food from quests and looting, while in multiplayers I’m 3/3 of, “yo we need everyone looking for food specifically we are down to snow berries.”

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

HelloSailorSign posted:

Playing solo I’m almost always absolutely stocked on food from quests and looting

This is exactly what I want to hear. Thanks!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is there a way to join a friend's game with a character I've already leveled and not some starting from scratch character when they are already a few weeks in?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Maguoob posted:

Unfortunately 7D2D doesn't have much in the way of performance enhancements, so your options are pretty much lower settings or better hardware. Being an overhaul style mod also means DF is going to require more resources than the base game.

There is a small chance that the install didn't work correctly and you can try deleting everything and reinstalling the mod. Also make sure you have the correct version of 7D2D downloaded if you're having the mod launcher copy from your steam install.
Thanks for trying :v:

I did check my version and whatever else was of importance during the instal so I'm good on that front. I kinda expected the performance issues being due to me not having enough hardware power so I'm gonna deal with it. As said I can play the game after I get over the hump of loading in and letting it calm down for a few minutes. Just wanted to take shot at maybe improving it further

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Morter posted:

This is exactly what I want to hear. Thanks!

One thing I noticed is that I like the Buried Supplies quests as I think they give better stuff than many T1 clears for the time taken, while my cohorts hated digging and never did them. When solo I almost exclusively do dig quests until T2, and even then did a few, and supply quests often have food.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Buried treasure quests are fast, profitable, and easy. Plus, it's a natural way to stock up on some ever-crucial clay as you're out and about. I highly recommend banging out as many as you can, when they're available.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Alright so now I have idea of how the nighttime works but i was a bit thrown when i kept getting teleported around when trying to return the supplies I was tasked to find. Then got spawn-camped by a feral.

:shepface:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morter posted:

but i was a bit thrown when i kept getting teleported around when trying to return the supplies I was tasked to find
Sounds like lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

PMush Perfect posted:

Sounds like lag.

I'm gonna... doubt that :tinfoil: