Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Sounds like lag.

Sounds like someone found out that Trader Joel’s closed.

That’s why I enjoyed Darkness Falls, I never liked that mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Yeah, because the trader and its base blocks are invincible, if you get too close at night you get teleported away to keep you from cheezing the zombies and safely hiding there. When night starts to fall and you're not near your base (or any place you've already cleared out), just get up on the nearest available roof/highest floor in a PoI and make sure there's no easy way to get to you (knock out stairs if you stay inside, etc.). Once you play enough though you'll learn your limits and know when to hoof it home or tough it out once you're geared up enough.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Morter posted:

Alright so now I have idea of how the nighttime works but i was a bit thrown when i kept getting teleported around when trying to return the supplies I was tasked to find. Then got spawn-camped by a feral.

:shepface:

Assuming you're not playing on Nightmare speed for some reason, and you're not unlucky enough to get one of the exceptionally fast ferals after you (namely the biker), simply booking it as far as you can, breaking line of sight, and/or crouching in the grass for a few seconds is usually enough to get them off you. Nighttime stealth is actually extremely potent and you generally won't get spotted again unless you're still within 5-10 blocks of a zambo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sounds like someone found out that Trader Joel’s closed.
That makes more sense.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

so I skipped the third Alpha 19 dev video (more artists/level designers I think?) and found this video which cuts down a fourth huge 3+ hour video with Madmole to the big items:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2HQOmcirWU

lmao to some of these:
-really talking about enforcing an early game "stone age" that will make it difficult to find powerful weapons in loot early on (ie shotguns, pistols, etc - more blunderbuss, bow and arrow type loot instead)
-a lot of new buff foods (candies, really leaning on the Fallout stuff here)
-perk overhaul - some removed/moved around, lots of skill perks with 5 ranks have been reduced to 3 or 4 instead (lockpicking, infiltrator, etc.)
-added some perk book series for fists and spears and one that combines perks for tech weapons (turrets/the new craftable drones/stun batons)
-new weapons (sniper rifle, sledge turret, tactical assault rifle, auto shotgun, melee axe) and at least one old one "nerfed" (AK-47)
-new tools (power drill, basically a faster wrench)

for the future
-possible upgraded forge to smelt faster/more items

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is it bad that, of all of that, the part I'm most excited about is faster smelting?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Is it bad that, of all of that, the part I'm most excited about is faster smelting?

Nah, but that's also the one item at the end that he had it sound like wasn't happening anytime soon.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

And the A19 release notes are up

Way, way too much to list completely here, but these are the main points they're making:

*Linear Color Space Lighting (new lighting system; you no longer have to adjust gamma to make things brighter, it's a separate setting now)
*Interactive Loading Screen (new tutorial loading screens you can cycle through)
*Improved Game-pad Support
*Critical and Survival System

quote:

We gutted the old ISS or interactive survival system that blackened and clamped your health and stamina bars from filling because it was confusing to players. We replaced it with an all new critical system.
All critical injuries that blacken or clamp your max health or stamina will be caused by a new critical buff on the left of the screen. These new critical buffs are clickable, taking the player directly to the player status effect screen where you can read about the problem and its cure.
When you are at full health a zombie can never cause a critical on the first hit so we don’t want to hear about unfair crits! =) Once you take a few hits, or get reckless in close combat the chances increases. Being at low health also increases the chance of receiving a critical. Armor reduces this chance by a flat amount, creating a buffer that enemies must overcome before they can hit you with criticals.
Some criticals are incremental. A sprained arm makes you vulnerable to getting a broken arm.
Some injuries don’t take kindly to being ignored. Sprinting or jumping with a broken leg will not work in your favor. If an injury is affected by an action like that then the buff icon will blink briefly and you will know that something happened.
*Food and Water Bars (lol they finally re-added them to the main HUD)
*HD Characters (zombies and traders)
*Dynamic Music System (now has combat music and many other tweaks)
*Loot & Enemy Progression Balance

quote:

"Enemy progression has been re-balanced. The chosen game difficulty no longer affects the game-stage value and player parties accumulate roughly 2/3 of the combined game-stage that they used to.
Loot distribution has been smoothed out so that you do not find end game loot too soon and have no more upgrades to look forward to.
Loot has been balanced to provide a smooth progression from primitive, iron and steel items. This change provides a steady progression for the player and gives some incentive to craft, while slowing the economy a bit early game.
The loot quality for player parties is equivalent to that of the highest level player and perk effects like Lucky Looter are not shared. The only loot advantage is that parties face tougher opponents which have a higher chance to drop loot of better quality.
There are 4 tech levels of items in the game. These start appearing in loot at the following Game-Stage intervals.
Tech 0 (GS 1-11) – Primitive tools, weapons and armor including a bow and the blunderbuss.
Tech 1 (GS 12) – Iron or similar melee items and armor and and the first proper firearms like a pistol or double barrel shotgun.
Tech 2 (GS 50) – The best melee items, bows and armor and mid range firearms like a pump-action shotgun.
Tech 3 (GS 91) – The most advanced firearms like an M60 or the Sniper Rifle.
Trader quest rewards scale similar to this system. You won’t immediately get a shotgun for a day one quest.
We will be continuing to to fine tune loot progression in patches. In the future we plan on unifying loot progression, quest loot reward progression and trader for sale item progression more unified."

*On Screen Sprite System (objects are now highlighted on the HUD, like dropped backpacks, thrown spears, etc)
*Quest Improvements
*New Environmental Art (trees, fog, skybox, textures, etc)
*New Weapons & Items

quote:

"We added several new tools and weapons:
Tech level 3 – we’ve added a whole new line of weapons to give you the firepower you will need to face future special infected, bandits and more!
Desert Vulture – This .44 magnum caliber pistol packs some serious stopping power and is governed by the gunslinger skill.
Automatic shotgun – This new tech level 3 firearm sports a large drum magazine and allows use of the trigger group automatic mod to unlock full automatic weapon fire mode makes it the most devastating short range shotgun in the game. If you like to see limbless zombies and superior crown control, this is the weapon for you.
Sniper Rifle – This 762 sniper rifle has a larger magazine, fire rate, better handling and superior damage to the hunting rifle and marksman rifles.
Impact Driver – This tech level 3 tool is the fastest way to harvest mechanical items. Strip down cars and mechanical items down in seconds!
Tech level 2
Ratchet – This new tech level 2 harvesting tool is faster than a wrench and degrades slower.
Tactical Assault Rifle – This new tier 2 assault rifle is a step above the 762 in range, accuracy and fire rate.
Tech level 1
Robotic Sledge – This robotic weapon is a stationary turret with a large sledgehammer shaped pulverizing arm that punches enemies and can knock them down easier at higher quality levels. It is governed by robotics
Blunderbuss – Not a new weapon, but with the loot re-balance this weapon might save your skin early game and is craft-able from basic components.
All existing tools and weapons have either been remade from scratch or had an art update to pbr textures for the new linear lighting."
*New Candy (buff food items)
*New Perk Books and Perk Balance

quote:

"Lockpicking, The Infiltrator, Animal Tracker now only have 3 ranks.
The Penetrator has 4 ranks instead of 5.
The treasure hunting ability of lucky looter that reduced dig radius has now been removed from Lucky looter and is its own 3 rank perk that reduces the new treasure hunting radius ring.
Sexual Tyrannosaurus has 4 ranks instead of 5.
Heavy armor was moved from Fortitude to Strength and now only has 4 ranks.
Well Insulated, Living off the Land, and Rule #1 Cardio now only have 3 ranks.
Healing factor is nerfed but still quite powerful, and now heals the new critical injuries faster with each rank.
Run and Gun, Flurry of Blows now only have 3 ranks.
Light Armor and Parkour now only have 4 ranks.
The Daring Adventurer, Charismatic nature and Physician now have 4 ranks. Yeah Science is removed and its perks are merged with various other perks.
*AI Improvements (new dynamic zombie animations for breaking through doors, jumping/falling, getting hit; head tracking; swimming) - the important thing here is, based on dev videos I saw this week, tricking the zombies by making them think they can run across slopes has been nerfed; vultures will now try to attack and break through blocks if they can't reach you instead of just flying up and down in the air.
*Random Gen Improvements
*Dynamic Resolution Mode
*Vehicle changes and additions ("Vehicle driving increases food consumption," haha nice work TFP)

Streamers start playing A19 tomorrow and it sounds like they're still shooting for the first experimental patch for Monday.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Prunes a bunch of perks so they can actually be worth it but then makes dig radius perk its own thing with 3 levels? Weird.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yes indeed, I do get hungrier and need more food from a hard day of driving than running a marathon. heh..

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Here are two half-hour videos that someone cut down from two of TFP's 2+hour streams this week that shows off a lot of the stuff in the notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6-vpOKD8E (three-player gameplay, horde night example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cj29O-RiU (AI/animation demonstrations)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

The Locator posted:

Yes indeed, I do get hungrier and need more food from a hard day of driving than running a marathon. heh..

Hopefully that is something easy to just xml edit out, because it is such a weird change.

As far as AI and slopes go, we'll see if they actually fixed it when people start testing on the experimental branch.

It is also weird how they keep making melee more dangerous, but the game's melee system is complete poo poo. I mean these are the devs that completely missed the entire point of having a spear as a weapon.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On sale for 8 fiddy today for anyone who hasnt actually bought it.
Even cheaper 13.59 for a 2 pack.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

Also people streaming this weekend who have the update and giving out free keys.
Before the update on Monday.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 26, 2020

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Server will be wiped around 5pm EST. Going to give the new in-game random gen a whirl, as I don't think NitroGen is updated yet.

64.94.95.162:22854

P:lljk

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A19 experimental appears to be live - downloading 5 gig update now.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Bruteman posted:

A19 experimental appears to be live - downloading 5 gig update now.

Are you set to latest experimental - unstable build?
Or just normal?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

Are you set to latest experimental - unstable build?
Or just normal?

latest experimental

current version is Alpha 19 (b154)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Time to test how we can break pathfinding in yet another update. I wonder if they've finally fixed arrow slots, as that will be the first think I'm going to look at.

Edit: I forgot how poo poo the actual game's generation is. Hopefully nitrogen is updated quickly. I should check more often, apparently nitrogen for A19 experimental is already out.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 29, 2020

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

This is the best the game has looked and performed on my PC in about 4 years. I'm impressed.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

In a town in a basement, found a hole in the wall which led to a sewer.
There are a ton of new POIs is this update.
And a ton of new things to search.

e:Holy poo poo was going down there a bad idea.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 30, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maguoob posted:

Time to test how we can break pathfinding in yet another update. I wonder if they've finally fixed arrow slots, as that will be the first think I'm going to look at.

Edit: I forgot how poo poo the actual game's generation is. Hopefully nitrogen is updated quickly. I should check more often, apparently nitrogen for A19 experimental is already out.

What is this nitrogen thing? Alternative way to randomly gen maps?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Locator posted:

Yeah, it's a standalone map generator:

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/12730-a19-nitrogen-a-random-world-generator-for-7dtd/

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

The Locator posted:

Yes, and it is much better than the default one.

Using the 7D2D default generation it took me 28 minutes and 22 seconds to generate a RNG map (according to 7D2D itself). Nitrogen (8K default settings) took 2 minutes 18 seconds. I don't know what the game itself is doing to cause it to take 26 minutes longer, but the maps it generates certainly aren't better.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Your computer ran for half an hour making a game map???

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

tuyop posted:

Your computer ran for half an hour making a game map???

Yeah, and this has never been unusual for 7D2D. It has always been painfully slow when generating a new map.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

OgNar posted:

In a town in a basement, found a hole in the wall which led to a sewer.

That POI was in A18, but it's definitely my favorite recent addition. I especially like that the end area is pretty one way, so you have to plan ahead.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Maguoob posted:

Yeah, and this has never been unusual for 7D2D. It has always been painfully slow when generating a new map.

That’s incredible! I guess I’ve just never done that before.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's been a few years since I played and jumped on this update when I saw the visual improvements.

Boy howdy is it a pretty fun time and while it's still doesn't look like a top of the line title its a vast improvement over what I remember. The atmosphere at night creeping around hospitals is just awesome. I got freaked out I spun in circles before I made a head explode with my maul.

I got a buddy who is really into this game, so I'll have to jump over into his world and see if we can't go full zombieland for a bit.

Thumbs up so far.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I feel like stamina is a bigger problem and being overburdened is much more detrimental, but maybe thats just me being lowbie again.
There seems to be much more loot, a single house can sometimes make me take 2 trips to clear, when i'm not just picking and choosing before leaving.

Aloe seems far more important now because it seems that is what fixes your abrasions and whatnot.
So if you arent near a desert, good luck.

Purple is XP but what are the green and blue lines at the bottom?

Infection seems to be toned down a ton, I have been hit a shitload and have not been infected once.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 30, 2020

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Hunger and thirst, respectively.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Being overburdened is just inviting death upon yourself. All it takes is one dog/wolf spotting you and you're toast...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Seems like it's ripe for me to make a new character and start again

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Being overburdened is just inviting death upon yourself. All it takes is one dog/wolf spotting you and you're toast...

But, but...loot.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So buried treasures aren't just vague boundaries anymore, and the perk will reduce the ring after X amount of shoveling within the area.

I always hated buried treasure, while it was usually good stuff it was kinda lovely digging for it.
This makes it much nicer to me.

e: so the ring shrinks after X shoveling no matter what, i guess the perk just reduces it farther.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2020

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Maguoob posted:

Generating a map via a dedicated server can take 6+ hours for an 8k map.

That nitrogen map generator is a java app and can do it in ~3m. And has better roads. And more POIs on a given size. And is kinda just better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats some high quality low tier stuff, can you now produce nice low tier stuff before you can produce high tier stuff? Usually the skill that increased your quality would just make it easy to make high tier stuff too.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats some high quality low tier stuff, can you now produce nice low tier stuff before you can produce high tier stuff? Usually the skill that increased your quality would just make it easy to make high tier stuff too.

I usually up my looting as soon as possible, its at 3rd tier here plus I found the goggles that add +4.

So most of my poo poo comes out smelling fine.

I'm at pretty much all lvl 6 stuff now.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The loot distribution is different now. You can start finding high-quality low-tier items when you start finding low-quality mid-tier items. Also it looks like they got rid of the random stats thing since I've found a few level 2 blunderbusses and they all had the same stats.

e; It's also way easier to use the blunderbuss since you can actually find ammo for it. It's probably going to be my go to for the first horde night.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm unable to get this map generator to run. It's throwing an out of memory exception error after it says it cannot find a 64 bit Java VM even though I just installed the latest 64 bit Java version:

code:
#### WARNING #####
Cannot detect a 64 bit Java VM, you might run this program in 32 a bit Java VM. please make sure you run a 64 bit installation of Java to avoid out of memory errors
##############
Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. I had to uninstall Java completely as I had both 32 and 64 bit versions and even trying to force 64 bit with -d64 it was for some reason only launching 32. I uninstalled both versions and only reinstalled 64 bit and now it's running.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Generated a new map using the Nitrogen thing, so far looks great!

Started up my very first game and Alpha-19, and the very first drink of water I took I rolled the 3% chance and got dysentery.. lol.. indicator of great things to come!

New zombies look great, and no issues so far, but just barely started. Will say that while the new music seems nice so far, the timing of it starting seems to be a bit odd. I have the loot at default setting, but seems to be more than in previous games with the loot turned up, but maybe just random variation is in my favor in the very first day of the new world.