Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Locator posted:

So I'm unable to get this map generator to run. It's throwing an out of memory exception error after it says it cannot find a 64 bit Java VM even though I just installed the latest 64 bit Java version:

code:
#### WARNING #####
Cannot detect a 64 bit Java VM, you might run this program in 32 a bit Java VM. please make sure you run a 64 bit installation of Java to avoid out of memory errors
##############
Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. I had to uninstall Java completely as I had both 32 and 64 bit versions and even trying to force 64 bit with -d64 it was for some reason only launching 32. I uninstalled both versions and only reinstalled 64 bit and now it's running.

I had the exact same issue as you and doing what you did to fix it never worked for me :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can't seem to find stuff like wood pole, stairs, table saw etc.
Have things been renamed? Or removed?

e: "The table saw can not be crafted and is no longer needed to craft any recipes
Wood shape blocks like poles or stairs that were in odd places on the crafting menu are now found in the wood frame variant block"

I assume that means the wood frame block turns into them all?
idfk

e2: oh jfc, you use reload as you would a bow/arrows with the wood frame in your bar and choose the variant.

It doesnt say that upfront you have to go and read its description

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 1, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bruteman posted:

I had the exact same issue as you and doing what you did to fix it never worked for me :negative:

So I ran into issues when I tried to do it without closing the command window.

Make sure you have no console windows open.
Uninstall any java versions you have installed. (you might want to restart here but I didn't need to)
Download the stand-alone 64 bit java installer (not the two browser ones).
Install Java.
Open a console window (Right-click start icon, Run "cmd").
Enter "java -version" and hit enter. This should return a java version, if not then it's not installed correctly.
Navigate to the directory that the file 'nitrogen.jar' is in.
At the command prompt, enter - "java -d64 -jar nitrogen.jar" - This should launch nitrogen.

If that doesn't work, then I've got no idea, but that's how I got it to work.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

e2: oh jfc, you use reload as you would a bow/arrows with the wood frame in your bar and choose the variant.

It doesnt say that upfront you have to go and read its description

Yeah, if it has that icon in the corner, you can hold Reload with it out to get variants. See also signs, storage furniture, and other things! It's an awkward system!

I've done a few of the new POIs ive stumbled across in Navezgane, pretty good so far. Looking forward to them adding more assets for places and redoing them.

I don't really care for how much stamina the impact wrench uses though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Perfect example of the new looting.
There are 8 visible random looting piles plus one behind the pallets top left.
In the hatch top right of roof is a shamway crate, an ammo pile and a reinforced chest which is in nearly every building and jam packed with weapons and ammo generally.

Its loving loot city now.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 1, 2020

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IMO you should set the loot to 50% or lower once you've learned the basics, the default is far too generous

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The Locator posted:

So I ran into issues when I tried to do it without closing the command window.

Make sure you have no console windows open.
Uninstall any java versions you have installed. (you might want to restart here but I didn't need to)
Download the stand-alone 64 bit java installer (not the two browser ones).
Install Java.
Open a console window (Right-click start icon, Run "cmd").
Enter "java -version" and hit enter. This should return a java version, if not then it's not installed correctly.
Navigate to the directory that the file 'nitrogen.jar' is in.
At the command prompt, enter - "java -d64 -jar nitrogen.jar" - This should launch nitrogen.

If that doesn't work, then I've got no idea, but that's how I got it to work.

haha I did this and instead of the Nitrogen window opening for 3 seconds and closing, it opened for almost a minute before closing!

I'm sure there's some obscure setting or registry thing that's loving me up here, I also can't open the java control panel without it doing the same thing. This is after completely uninstalling and reinstalling Java too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
this is a pretty fun game :kimchi:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this is the first new game I've started in quite a while, so maybe it's just being a newbie again, but it seems like stamina is a lot harder to manage now, and hunger/thirst are more intrusive (meaning I need to drink/eat a lot more).

In general I like that the loot progression is more paced, but I'm looking at going into the first horde night with stone weapons, a primitive bow, and a blunderbuss... might get interesting!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The game has completely broken for me. Easy anti cheat* somehow managed to blue screen my computer while I was loading a map and once I rebooted the game is just hosed.

If I try to use the new/load game options the game just pops open a console drop down window with xmlexception: root element is missing written in red text at the bottom of what looks like standard loading stuff from the game booting .

I can’t figure out how to fix this. I tried verifying game files on steam, using the launcher’s second tab to scrub everything, uninstalling and deleting everything remaining in both the steam folder and appdata/roaming/7daystodie and reinstalling, both A18 stable and A19 experimental, nothing seems to work.

Sucks, I just wanted to play.

* I know it’s easy anti cheat cause the blue screen listed the file that caused the issue. I can’t remember exactly what it was called but it was obviously EAC. Also I wasn’t cheating or anything, just to be clear. He’ll I wasn’t even going online

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The game has completely broken for me. Easy anti cheat* somehow managed to blue screen my computer while I was loading a map and once I rebooted the game is just hosed.

If I try to use the new/load game options the game just pops open a console drop down window with xmlexception: root element is missing written in red text at the bottom of what looks like standard loading stuff from the game booting .

I can’t figure out how to fix this. I tried verifying game files on steam, using the launcher’s second tab to scrub everything, uninstalling and deleting everything remaining in both the steam folder and appdata/roaming/7daystodie and reinstalling, both A18 stable and A19 experimental, nothing seems to work.

Sucks, I just wanted to play.

* I know it’s easy anti cheat cause the blue screen listed the file that caused the issue. I can’t remember exactly what it was called but it was obviously EAC. Also I wasn’t cheating or anything, just to be clear. He’ll I wasn’t even going online

Have you tried launching "7DaysToDie.exe" directly? This will launch the game without EAC.

e;
I've had the launcher ignore what I set on it before, so I would still say try using the .exe directly first

VVVVVVVVVVV

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 2, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

REDjackeT posted:

Have you tried launching "7DaysToDie.exe" directly? This will launch the game without EAC.

The new launcher thing allows you to disable the EAC thing permanently for your installation!

In Steam, launch the game from your Library and you get a popup. The second (not default) option is "Show game launcher".

On the main "Start Game" tab of the launcher there is a check-box to use EAC. Uncheck it. Then click "Run and save as default" and now EAC won't run even when using the normal desktop shortcut. You can also check a check-box to show that launcher every time you start the game if you want.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I tried disabling EAC, didn't work. Also found out I could join online games still, which was real weird.

Anyways, I decided to once again uninstall it, try deleting every speck of the game's presence from my computer, and then reinstalling. It worked this time. RIP my saves and about 40gb of my bandwith cap I guess.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Had you tried the Alpha 19 build or was this still under A18?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Thank you, Trader Jen, for the day 2, tier 1 clear mission involving a feral wight :stonk:

Blunderbuss saved my rear end.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I used Nitrogen to generate a multiplayer map today.
It was super easy and way faster than making a new map in game.
Then you just drop it in your map folder , make a new map, and choose that map as the world.

Took a few minutes rather than 25 minutes.
I think I took more time looking at my options.

Only weird thing that was generated so far are these deadly deep ravines. Gonna have to mark them to ignore for motorized traveling later.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OgNar posted:

Only weird thing that was generated so far are these deadly deep ravines. Gonna have to mark them to ignore for motorized traveling later.

There is an option that'll prevent those from being generated.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is an option that'll prevent those from being generated.

That must be the 'Vicious Cracks' dropdown that had no indication of what it was.
Good Job program maker.
Too late now though.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Nights used to be pretty chill to the point where you could just crouch and harvest trees and stuff and not really be worried at all.

Stepped outside at night on day 9 (all vanilla/default) and tried to get some clay for my forge really quick and within 15 seconds of breaking ground I heard something so I took off in the opposite direction. Circled around and checked it out from a tree line and the game had spawned a half dozen runners that apparently booked it straight towards me and just drifted around when they couldn't find me. Also got a wandering horde of about 18 or so at 21:30 when I was getting set up with supplies from my crates for the first blood moon.

Way more fun. Almost like Ravenhearst.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Vultures are murder machines now. I've handled groups of 3-4 zombies and tanked through single dogs and boars without any injuries, but each time a vulture hits me I get like one new critical injury.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh great. Those vultures are the worst loving thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bruteman posted:

Vultures are murder machines now. I've handled groups of 3-4 zombies and tanked through single dogs and boars without any injuries, but each time a vulture hits me I get like one new critical injury.

Same, I am getting really good at one-shotting most zombies with a modded baseball bat, but in a single fight with a vulture I lost 50% of my life, got infected, and some sort of critical. In the wee hours of day 7 now, built a little nest a few blocks up in one of those big antenna's and put a roof with bars on it. Will be interesting to see if I (and the antenna mast) can survive the night!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: Alpha 19 if you have any FPS problems, you might want to try lowering Water Quality first, that had an absolutely gigantic impact for me even in situations where no water was in camera view. like, sometimes single digit FPS sometimes to very smooth (for me) 30+.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

That last mini patch destroyed my farm on my single player world.
I had been off looking at new cities and just got back now and most of the structure has just dropped.
Its only like 5 blocks in between poles, nowhere near far enough for weight to take affect.

e: well poo poo, while thats not bad to recover from, I just realized I had a storage crate stuck to the side that had all my best modded tools, seeds and extra farm plots inside.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 4, 2020

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I've never once tried farming in this game, maybe I'll do that this game if I last long enough.

What is a going point to start investing points into the farming stuff - very early so you have farming going into the later game, or late after you have all your combat stuff fleshed out?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

The Locator posted:

I've never once tried farming in this game, maybe I'll do that this game if I last long enough.

What is a going point to start investing points into the farming stuff - very early so you have farming going into the later game, or late after you have all your combat stuff fleshed out?

The farming perk only takes 3 levels now, 1st lets you make seeds from the flowers to make drinks plus farm plots are cheaper, 2nd lets you make seeds from veggies and farm plots are even cheaper, and 3rd lets you harvest 3 items at a time rather than 2. A little less needed.

Besides the farm plots getting cheaper you can get all recipes for crafting seeds from books.

The master chef perk line (also 3 levels now) on the other hand lets you cook using the veggies, if you haven't found the recipes.

Farming is mostly useful on a team or as a point dump on single.

With a high mining/mother lode perk and high hunstman, you could negate the need for cheaper plots by harvesting more mats.
Also higher looting will likely find you all recipes eventually.

Frankly its just nice to be able to cook up 50-65 hunger filling dishs rather than dealing with 5-15 hunger canned foods now that hunger seems to go down a lot quicker with all the new debuffs.

Also poo poo like yucca juice and coffee are great in general.
With a bicycle and a jar of coffee you can make a run to another town without having to stop 5 times for your stamina to rebuild.

Strangely enough, I havent found 1 piece of the candy which was supposedly added with a19, seen it in machines but none looted.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

OgNar posted:

Strangely enough, I havent found 1 piece of the candy which was supposedly added with a19, seen it in machines but none looted.

You won't find them in loot. They are specifically vending machine-only, per dev chat and the a19 patch notes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've never heard it described this way but the basic gameplay loop feels like a really good Bethesda game without all the Bethesda jank.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I set up an experiment with wedge tips on my first horde night. Zombies definitely just walk across wedge tips now just like the players, so that particular form of cheesing is officially over.

I also did a woodchopping experiment using the woodchopper? mod (I forget the name, does more damage to wood blocks). I got significantly more wood out of a tree without the mod, but it took more 'chops' to cut it down. So if you are trying to harvest wood rather than just make wood things go away, do not use that mod on your axe.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

The Locator posted:

I set up an experiment with wedge tips on my first horde night. Zombies definitely just walk across wedge tips now just like the players, so that particular form of cheesing is officially over.

I also did a woodchopping experiment using the woodchopper? mod (I forget the name, does more damage to wood blocks). I got significantly more wood out of a tree without the mod, but it took more 'chops' to cut it down. So if you are trying to harvest wood rather than just make wood things go away, do not use that mod on your axe.

Which wedge tip cheese were you trying? The build a wall with a steep incline (wedges and wedge tips) got fixed, the the old corridor with a drop only needs a small fix to work again. Just put half blocks above the wedge tips and the zombies will walk/run off like before.

The devs just made it so zombies handle slopes better, but they still treat wedge tips as a full block. Jawoodle has another killing corridor video on YouTube, just fast forward if you need to see how it is built because the video is still like 20 minutes longer than necessary.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maguoob posted:

Which wedge tip cheese were you trying? The build a wall with a steep incline (wedges and wedge tips) got fixed, the the old corridor with a drop only needs a small fix to work again. Just put half blocks above the wedge tips and the zombies will walk/run off like before.

The devs just made it so zombies handle slopes better, but they still treat wedge tips as a full block. Jawoodle has another killing corridor video on YouTube, just fast forward if you need to see how it is built because the video is still like 20 minutes longer than necessary.

In one of Glock9's videos he built a 2 block wide path with bars blocking it, then put wedge tips on the sides. A player could simply walk around the bars on the wedge tips, but the zombies fell off. I tested a similar build for my day 7 horde expecting them to no longer fall off, and sure enough they just zoom right around the sides of the bars on the wedge tips now. I haven't tried any of the full wedge-tip only 'bridge over a pit' type designs yet, might try that next, but I'm doing this as I play the game. I've never really gone into 'creative mode' type games and experimented like some people do.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Reach does a rundown of 18 bases in 19, that pyramid style is around 5:30.
It doesnt fare too well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYmgzwAJVac

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

I just tried this, I get the same amount of wood.

Vs a 1200 hp tree, using a level 5 iron axe, with and without woodsplitter mod, with and without fireaxe mod, with both mods, and with two ranks in both Miner 69er and Motherload: I get 208/209 wood.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

REDjackeT posted:

I just tried this, I get the same amount of wood.

Vs a 1200 hp tree, using a level 5 iron axe, with and without woodsplitter mod, with and without fireaxe mod, with both mods, and with two ranks in both Miner 69er and Motherload: I get 208/209 wood.

Strange, I definitely saw different amounts, but using a level 2 iron axe. Will try it again later.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The way it should work is that the tree should just have a flat amount of wood that you're harvesting a percentage out of per-hit; there's tons of stuff that boost your overall harvest, but the only thing that should lower harvest is using the wrong tool or a sledge or something. You should get the same amount from the same type/HP-bracket of tree every time. Did you maybe have a timed buff active that expired, like one of the candies or something?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The way it should work is that the tree should just have a flat amount of wood that you're harvesting a percentage out of per-hit; there's tons of stuff that boost your overall harvest, but the only thing that should lower harvest is using the wrong tool or a sledge or something. You should get the same amount from the same type/HP-bracket of tree every time. Did you maybe have a timed buff active that expired, like one of the candies or something?

I retested it and can no longer reproduce that difference. I have no idea what happened, but I was having lots of strange issues during that session, where the entrances to buildings including the trader was blocked visually but I could pass through them, and lot of other strange glitches that eventually made me completely exit the game to fix them, maybe related or maybe I just did something stupid.

In any case, today I get the same result both with and without the woodsplitter mod on my T2 iron axe. 209 wood in 10 hits vs. 12 hits.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish more people were playing on Powdrkeg1's server. Its lonely. :smith:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm going to speak up as a filthy casual and say that the "enforced stone age" is dumb as poo poo.

It is so lame and anachronistic to loot sticks and rocks out of Shotgun Messiah and Working Stiff crates. The level 1 pistol dream is what gets me janking through a house with the still garbage bow mechanics and a spear. Ammo scarcity, repair kit scarcity, weapon quality, perks, and mods were enough of a power curve without giving me a hard ceiling to reach before I can loot a poo poo tier pistol. Slap some lipstick and a prom dress on javelin stroker all they want, I don't want to waste points in it. I don't play that way. Why would I waste even an OK POI when I know a loot room is just going to give me a pile of rocks and sticks but somehow military armor parts? I'm sure not going to smack a gun safe for 5 minutes for that level 2 blunderbuss. Why specialize in weapons in a co-op party when maybe I get a pistol within a week, but we don't know if we'll see an AK or a hunting rifle? Right now my friend is sitting on a M-60 schematic I found in a bombed out house, and we still haven't seen a level 1 AK for him to start with. No rifle for my wife, either. Guess they're boned until TFP says they can have one. That early firearm was a really fun thing to find, and now we have a guaranteed slog before we get it. I wander into the remains of a modern town and can't find one gun or iron shovel? I am 2 batteries shy of assembling 3 minibikes for us, and we've found one gun and no metal tools. We are living in an abandoned hardware store that was apparently run by cavemen. It is such a blatant clash with the setting it makes my teeth itch.

There are already so many options there to make this game as hard as someone wants it to be, so why do we get another blanket tryhard pendulum swing like it's A14 again? Were there massive protests against how fun A18 was? How is this still happening so many years into Early Access?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tried sneaking into a house, was at 30 noise and 6 zombies suddenly awake and lmao.

Then after they died, sneaking in the kitchen, nice 20-25 noise, and three from the next room wake up.

Did they change sleeper AI or noise or something? Was I unlucky/bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Does the game still make you harvest less if you have less stamina?