Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Today I learned (from Glock9) that you can wrench street light fixtures for 1-2 steel. This is ... A LOT of early steel.

this poo poo is even better

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Flesh Forge posted:

Today I learned (from Glock9) that you can wrench street light fixtures for 1-2 steel. This is ... A LOT of early steel.

Also found in

Broken soda machines
those green capacitors on light/power poles

I also learned a trick from one of G9s videos and treasure maps

Its always in the SW quadrant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I had known about soda machines but the light pole/power transformer stuff is news to me, that REALLY makes stuff like getting a motorcycle or a car going very early much more practical.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This looks like good framing for a Bubbles playthrough. Your main goal is stealing metal to sell to the trader for various drugs.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I really appreciate different tool will harvest different materials.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Welcome to the Hojobi Valley, where our common export is rotting flesh and gravel :sludgepal:

This was neat but it has gotten to the point where missions inside the cities in wasteland biomes are a massive chore to do because any loud gunshot (even a silenced shotgun) immediately spawns a huge wandering horde with many ferals and sometimes demolishers. I could reset skills and get into a silenced SMG, I have the schematic and enough money, but I think it's about time to roll a new map anyway, wasteland is a little too unfun for my tastes - going offroad is nerve wracking on the motorcycle and pretty impossible in the car, aside from the relentless hordes of ferals etc. Also there is way too much food everywhere, they need to do something about all the farm POIs having gobs of harvestable food in wasteland biomes. Medicine was the only thing a little bit constrained, I wasn't lucky enough to hit a lot of aloe plants in POIs but could have looked a little harder. Plenty of corn, blueberries, tea/coffee materials etc, and I have a huge farm on the roof of the gas station I took over with something like a hundred farm plot blocks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a general time frame between releases or is it mostly just whenever it's ready?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

This was neat but it has gotten to the point where missions inside the cities in wasteland biomes are a massive chore to do because any loud gunshot (even a silenced shotgun) immediately spawns a huge wandering horde with many ferals and sometimes demolishers. I could reset skills and get into a silenced SMG, I have the schematic and enough money, but I think it's about time to roll a new map anyway, wasteland is a little too unfun for my tastes - going offroad is nerve wracking on the motorcycle and pretty impossible in the car, aside from the relentless hordes of ferals etc. Also there is way too much food everywhere, they need to do something about all the farm POIs having gobs of harvestable food in wasteland biomes. Medicine was the only thing a little bit constrained, I wasn't lucky enough to hit a lot of aloe plants in POIs but could have looked a little harder. Plenty of corn, blueberries, tea/coffee materials etc, and I have a huge farm on the roof of the gas station I took over with something like a hundred farm plot blocks.

There really needs to be a perk book or something that is the equivalent of "stepping on mines does not set them off", but for driving.

Either that, or they should make minefields marked with danger signs or something, and if you aren't paying attention then it's certain death, but can otherwise ride around them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For me the much bigger problem is all the metal girders that you snag on, especially when visibility is poor

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

whenever it's ready

Its usually a good year or 2 between big updates

https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Version_history

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

idgi

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's just a nice view in a new start, I love it that everything you see is a place you can go inside and there will be things and you can explore and interact with all of it in a purposeful, reasonable way. Or you could plow it all to the ground if you really wanted to! Nothing meaningful there :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Recently added to upcoming changes in A21:

quote:

Drinking Water Rebalance

Murky water is only water found in loot
Empty Glass bottles removed from game
Dew collector work station added
Players can drink directly from water sources with empty hand
Pot is now required to boil murky water

Sounds great to me. They should also rebalance food while at it. Maybe add a spoilage mechanic, and ways to slow it.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Slow News Day posted:

Murky water is only water found in loot
Empty Glass bottles removed from game

Oh come the gently caress on. Really?! Why?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So of glass bottles don't exist, how are we getting water now?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

There will likely be magic water bottles.
Appear when they are needed and disappear when used.
Like when making molotovs.

Absolutely no need for this whole thing in any way.

Slow News Day posted:

Recently added to upcoming changes in A21:

Sounds great to me. They should also rebalance food while at it. Maybe add a spoilage mechanic, and ways to slow it.

I think this was in earlier versions but removed.
Also the zombies could smell any sort of meat on you. Making you generate heat.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

OgNar posted:

That's hilarious.

Man I hate when I accidentally leave a ham sandwich buried at the bottom of my pocket underneath 5 different guns, a sledgehammer, a shovel, a wrench and an entire motorbike, and attract zombie hordes to my position.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

While it was removed it sorta came back.
In the Feral Sense mechanic you can dis/enable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OgNar posted:

Like when making molotovs.

Absolutely no need for this whole thing in any way.

I don’t inherently hate it. Water becomes a non-issue within just a day or two and 7 Days is theoretically supposed to still be a survival game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Really?! Why?

frankly because it is trivial to collect infinite water even on day 1, it's kind of dorky for a ~survival~ game
same goes for food, there's loving fresh corn and other crops EVERYWHERE.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OgNar posted:

Wait, they are making this game MORE accessible? What the gently caress.

I guess I'm so used to devs making poo poo worse that I just expected you to only be able to bottle water at a water bottling bench or something equally stupid.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Wait'll they add crop rotation.

e: Luckily for any stuff that seems to be too abundant like canned foods, etc.
You can just turn down loot abundance.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 16, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now that they’ve added biome sliders I wouldn’t mind seeing loot sliders too. For different tier levels and weapon types too if you want to get really crazy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OgNar posted:

Wait'll they add crop rotation.

e: Luckily for any stuff that seems to be too abundant like canned foods, etc.
You can just turn down loot abundance.

this isn't really the problem imo, it's all the farms with 20+ corn in each of them

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t inherently hate it. Water becomes a non-issue within just a day or two and 7 Days is theoretically supposed to still be a survival game.

I don't get this line of reasoning though, there is more to survival then finding water. Getting water really isn't that difficult in a survival situation especially in an abandoned city with rivers and snow everywhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean yeah at least you're made to have containers for it beforehand, although it should probably require a pot to boil them. I kinda see the point though as I have literally never, not one time even in my all-wasteland games, been forced to drink any unsafe water water because it's so trivial to get clean water even on the first day. This new setup sounds pretty stupid though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been playing on the server listed in the OP, trying to construct the Ultimate Horde BaseTM but it's going at a snail's pace because I haven't found a goddamn crucible or schematic in the 40+ days I've been on there. No steel means doing all my mining with an iron pickaxe and a bottleneck on crafting traps and whatnot. Haven't seen anyone on since I've started, but if you have a character on there that has one or can craft one can you help a sister out? Even doing jobs for the traders to open up new ones they just keep sending me in a triangle to one I already know so I'm not getting more chances when inventory restocks :argh: I'm currently dumping all my skill points into intellect so I can eventually craft one but goddamn what a waste.

Base is in the field immediately east of the trader at 2080 E and 480 N, and I've set up shop in the house immediately west of there. There's a fenced-in area under the porch where I put a chest with some various stuff that's open for the taking.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have pretty much always found one (the schematic, almost always) around day 20 or so with 1-2 points in Lucky Looter, what biome are you spending your time in? Snow and Wasteland biomes have a really significant loot bonus.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

You could also put points into that trader stash perk.
That will eventually give you a higher chance to buy a crucible and solar panels.
I think Crucible on 3, and solars on 4-5.
Not sure where or if a beaker shows up.

e: I always up my lucky looter but RNG still screws me sometimes.
It wasn't until I started doing the trader perk that I started to see them regularly.
But then I've also found a beaker on day one in loving trash on the road.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 16, 2022

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been into the snow biome, mostly spending time in grasslands to work on the base. Got a point in LL and I'm wearing the goggles as well, I think RNGeezus just hates my guts. Never had a problem on any other game with finding one or a schematic, just incredibly unlucky here.

e: VVV lol I've looted every Working Stiff, PnG, CaB, and even Mo Power I've come across, some multiple times. Like I said, the rng is really loving pissed at me rn.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 16, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you really want to get it done imo just spend a couple of days exclusively hitting the main loot rooms of hardware stores.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/29703-a206-b9-stable/

Vultures don't auto aggro on players in vehicles

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I don't get this line of reasoning though, there is more to survival then finding water. Getting water really isn't that difficult in a survival situation especially in an abandoned city with rivers and snow everywhere.

Snow must still be boiled before it becomes potable, and in whatever post-apocalyptic world this game takes place in, there's no guarantee that rivers are safe to drink out of either. :)

Also, note that the notes don't say anything about other liquids, like tea and coffee. Those will presumably be fairly common still. But normal water is just used in so many recipes that the devs probably want players to put in a bit more effort to acquire it. My guess is that you'll either need to boil the murky water you find, or build a dew station to slowly collect it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Slow News Day posted:

Snow must still be boiled before it becomes potable, and in whatever post-apocalyptic world this game takes place in, there's no guarantee that rivers are safe to drink out of either. :)

Also, note that the notes don't say anything about other liquids, like tea and coffee. Those will presumably be fairly common still. But normal water is just used in so many recipes that the devs probably want players to put in a bit more effort to acquire it. My guess is that you'll either need to boil the murky water you find, or build a dew station to slowly collect it.

Yeah that's fine boil it, but they are taking away the ability to turn snow into water or filter river water in any way.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

And this is what mods are for :D.
I kinda like the Undead Legacy mechanic that forces you to go to a desert to get your sand for concrete.
No sand from stones.
More work, but seems more logical.
Also in UL, water can only be gotten from pipes/faucets/well/hydrants and only if you have a container.
All open water is contaminated.
No boiling those rads out.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

What the hell. I was playing Undead Legacy, just fine, then came back to it, today, to find that it wouldn't load at all. I've uninstalled, cleaned up, and reinstalled multiple times, only for the console to freeze on "WorldStaticData.Init needed 1.0s". Am I doing something obviously dumb?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

null_pointer posted:

What the hell. I was playing Undead Legacy, just fine, then came back to it, today, to find that it wouldn't load at all. I've uninstalled, cleaned up, and reinstalled multiple times, only for the console to freeze on "WorldStaticData.Init needed 1.0s". Am I doing something obviously dumb?

The vanilla game got updated, you have to roll it back to the last alpha (20.5 I believe). UL currently won't work on the version TFP pushed out yesterday.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I use the mod launcher and while I still have problems getting UL installed through it, it does make it easy to just duplicate your 7d2d installation and then I just install UL into that.
Wasted space by having duplicate installations but no problems when it comes to updates.

Some people get UL to install through it and others cant.

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

I use the mod launcher and while I still have problems getting UL installed through it, it does make it easy to just duplicate your 7d2d installation and then I just install UL into that.
Wasted space by having duplicate installations but no problems when it comes to updates.

Some people get UL to install through it and others cant.

http://7d2dmodlauncher.org/

hrm, I never had any issues installing overhaul mods with the mod launcher. The big thing is that you have to make sure you copy over the correct base game data and not a version that the mod(s) don't support.

Playing current UL compared to a while ago. I like having the repair/upgrade system. On one hand, being able to repair without wasting repair kits is nice. On the other hand, old UL I would drown in repair kits, so it didn't really matter. Not needing 12 million research data to get higher tier equipment is better.

I did get a nice bug doing a T5 POI quest. It was a simple clear quest, but because of how sleeper spawns work on quests I got hosed. The game refused to spawn the last set of zombies even with me dancing on the marker. I wish there was a way to force complete a quest, because just doing a command kill to kill everything doesn't help.

I know I could just load up and check, but I'm lazy, is the timed charge as a lockpick "option" a base game feature now or a UL QoL thing? It is nice being able to say gently caress you lock picking system, I have bombs.