Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The team remain so stoic about console player rage every time they update the pc version. Honestly I find it endearing :3:

Looking forward to a17.

There is nothing endearing about these devs anymore. The project is in scope creep hell and is a total mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

There is nothing endearing about these devs anymore. The project is in scope creep hell and is a total mess.

I for one can't wait to try out the Animal Husbandry and Competitive Hang Gliding additions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

The scope creep doesn't really bother me. Sandbox games generally benefit from scope creep.

They just take for god damned ever to get updates out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Those base destroying behemoth things crept out of a17?

I hope so.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Those base destroying behemoth things crept out of a17?

I hope so.

Yeah

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Next up: Tiny mo-cap suits for birds

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The scope creep doesn't really bother me. Sandbox games generally benefit from scope creep.

They just take for god damned ever to get updates out.

Right, that is usually caused by scope creep: every added feature and piece of content increases project complexity until it becomes really hard to add new stuff without breaking existing stuff. I guarantee you this is why A17 is taking forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scope creep is fine if they ever actually finished a component before moving on to the next hot thing. They got a serious problem hitting 80% on a thing then dropping it completely.

Should probably do a zero new features release and spend an update cycle polishing what's already there.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

xzzy posted:

Scope creep is fine if they ever actually finished a component before moving on to the next hot thing. They got a serious problem hitting 80% on a thing then dropping it completely.

Should probably do a zero new features release and spend an update cycle polishing what's already there.

Scope creep isn’t fine. It causes projects to get stuck in development and not ever be released. How long has this game been in the works? 4-5 years right? That’s crazy for an indie game.

I agree they should have a few zero-feature releases, but after that they should just release the drat thing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
To be fair they've gone through like 2-3 entire item/progression systems over the course of the various alpha builds. The latest one seems like it's more or less feature complete vis a vis the kickstarter promises, so we'll see if we get an A18 or a release.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
LOL at anyone who ever thought these devs weren’t trash.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

pressing the question mark under this guy's avatar tells a sad story

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The game that currently exists is still fun and better than any other open world zombie game on the market, so I guess you're LOLin at me bub

Minorkos posted:

pressing the question mark under this guy's avatar tells a sad story

:eyepop:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 26, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The game that currently exists is still fun and better than any other open world zombie game on the market, so I guess you're LOLin at me bub

That's because most of those other games are trash though, not because this game is particularly good. It just happens to be better, and the developers have successfully ridden the hype train to make lots of money (which is probably why they are faltering now - they probably already have enough money to comfortably retire, so why bother finishing?).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

enraged_camel posted:

That's because most of those other games are trash though, not because this game is particularly good. It just happens to be better, and the developers have successfully ridden the hype train to make lots of money (which is probably why they are faltering now - they probably already have enough money to comfortably retire, so why bother finishing?).

I can't argue with this. Supposedly they've made millions of dollars off this game already. Though if I had done something like that, I would probably just hire people to finish the game for me. I would find the most dedicated modders and offer them jobs. That's just me though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If they just stop the game hitching randomly I'll be happy with it. I've had good times in this game, janky or not.

I'd be more stoked if it was a performance patch. Maybe next year.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Though if I had done something like that, I would probably just hire people to finish the game for me.
They literally are doing this now for A17. Hired some actual programmer that is getting things done.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Nyaa posted:

They literally are doing this now for A17. Hired some actual programmer that is getting things done.

That's how they went from 'a minibike that randomly phases out of existence' to like 5 different vehicles, including a kickass jeep thing and a loving gyrocopter.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would just be happy with a melee combat system that doesn't feel like its from ten years ago. I've just been spoiled by Vermintide and L4D.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Power Walrus posted:

I would just be happy with a melee combat system that doesn't feel like its from ten years ago. I've just been spoiled by Vermintide and L4D.

They're unfucking melee weapons too!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I must be the only person that'd be happy if it stayed in development forever minecraft style, I guess. I've gotten so many hours out of this game I've already got my money's worth. The new features and updates every half year or so is just gravy to me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I must be the only person that'd be happy if it stayed in development forever minecraft style, I guess. I've gotten so many hours out of this game I've already got my money's worth. The new features and updates every half year or so is just gravy to me.

Yeah that's why I argue that "more is more" leading to scope creep in a sandbox game is fine. If it's a good sandbox game it's about all the cool toys it has and what you can do with them more than anything else. 7 Days to Die doesn't have much plot beyond "punch some zombies and build some stuff" and that's fine.

But doing scope creep right means engineering the software properly so it can be extended easily and not scope creeping each release.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But doing scope creep right means engineering the software properly so it can be extended easily and not scope creeping each release.

They're finally unfucking all the legacy bad decisions they made, so hopefully we'll see some interesting mods in A17 and A18 that extend the base game out substantially.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I like that. A lot of devs would just move on to the second game and start from scratch. Expand on the game you have.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Hell, the new mod system and the fact that you get entire guns from crates/safes/loot boxes means you can have some hilarious custom xml firearm mods, and depending on the specific implementation details under the hood, have some really doofy rare mods, like Borderlands Legendaries level stupidity.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I am totally ok with it too. I install this game every 6-12 months and play the hell out of it for a few weeks exploring all the stuff that is new and different and have a blast. Then I forget all about it for another long while. Its great to explore not just a new map but also all the new systems every time I play the game and Ive gotten way more than my money's worth. If the game were to be finally released and the updates stopped I would probably play through one more time and then be done with it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I've got my money's worth out of this game about 20 times over by now. I really hope they do more with it though, like quests and more end-game base stuff. I hope a17 comes out soonish! I like playing online with people, and I want to start from scratch when the rest of the goons do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, this isn't a game that's likely to go down in history as the best ever but sometimes it's just fun to beat up zombies with no special goal.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think the base building is pretty drat good. They need to make the indication showing the orientation of an item clearer, but it's it seems really well featured.

I like building post apocalyptic bunkers underground, it makes it a lot easier but gently caress the haters.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I think the base building is pretty drat good. They need to make the indication showing the orientation of an item clearer, but it's it seems really well featured.

I like building post apocalyptic bunkers underground, it makes it a lot easier but gently caress the haters.

Underground facilities are only cool if you build a dope underground highway with the occasional exit ramp that allows for sickass bike jumps.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Is there an easy way to mod this game so that I don't have to deal with radioactive cops and dogs and other goofy stuff? I like most of this game, but some of the stuff that they've added is just not fun. I want to play a zombie game where I go out into the city/countryside to loot during the day and return to my safehouse to build and craft during the night. I don't want to have to worry about radioactive cop puke nuking my fortified bunker.

I saw a mod (Romero-ish) on Nexus that seems to do what I'd like, but it's not compatible with the current version of the game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

who would have thought noted game devs THE FUN PIMPS were garbage tier

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Lonjon posted:

Is there an easy way to mod this game so that I don't have to deal with radioactive cops and dogs and other goofy stuff?

Look up xml editing for 7dtd. Everything you want to do is as simple as changing a value in a text file but you wanna be sure that you don't tinker too much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah gently caress that tinker with everything until you have your perfect zombie game. It's what everyone does and now a days I spend 48 hrs xml editing and like one hour playing going "man thus is just beautiful, just perfect, but what if deer spawnnned a lil more. Or bears took x shots. What if you could craft weapon parts?!" And then ur dead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XML editing was the game the whole time.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

xzzy posted:

XML editing was the game the whole time.

So it’s basically Skyrim with guns, and the zombies aren’t just in tombs? :D

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TheObserver posted:

So it’s basically Skyrim with guns, and the zombies aren’t just in tombs? :D

If 7 Days was as moddable as Skyrim there would be a lot of potential there.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
They seem to be making virtually everything moddable in A17 though Steam Workshop support is probably going to be pushed back to a sub-version patch because we can never have nice things in a finished state.

Also the a17 red bar has hit the halfway point so it should be ready for May.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 2, 2018

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ok, by and large I'm enjoying this alpha but wtf is up with wolves? How I'm in iron plate armor zombies can't do much to but a fuckin wolf chomps me to bleeding out in one hit and dead in two? And these fuckers come in packs?