Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Joined the goon server and I've spent a few nights in a hole next to a trader, wading in a pool of my own cowardice. I'm out and about clearing some houses and after cutting up a zombie corpse I look up and there's more than a dozen dogs running at me. :negative:

Cue logoff, gently caress that noise. Nope, nope nope nope. Nooooooope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

That house is loving awesome. How did you get dirt on the roof like that?

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

You can have all the water you could ever want, you just have to climb a mountain and dig up snow. I do it once per game and never have to worry about it again.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Hold down R and select advanced rotation.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

So I just tried to survive another horde night in the base I made for myself on the goon server and.... welp

Late-game hordes are hardcore. I holed up in my base with 115 explosive crossbow bolts and three full dart traps setup above the door with electrical fence strung across and figured I would be alright. Dear god, noooooope. When they finally busted through my door around 3:20AM the horde was only feral irradiated cops and wights. poo poo was intense; I ran back to the door to repair it many times but eventually ran out of explosive bolts and the massed horde of wights broke in to murder my rear end while I shat my pants in terror.

I love this game.

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 2, 2017

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

They nerfed zombie loot but buffed the XP you get from them. Which is nice since I end up blowing up most of the corpses with explosive bolts anyway. I killed almost 150 zeds that night :D

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

They're loving great at taking out clumped up feral irradiated wights and cops. Just don't run over a mine with a bike an hour before horde night like I just did. All my ammo, all my explosive bolts, in a backpack 2km away... I tried to avoid the zombies by treading water in a lake and that was going great until I got a little too close to shore and 5 feral irradiated cops showed up to bombard me mortar-style from 30ft below on the lakebed. :negative:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Good things to sell to a trader:

Machete blades - they don't have as great of a price for the materials required, but they stack very nicely and you can sell assloads of them at once.
Empty glass jars - a stack of 500 will get you like 3k, all you need is sand and clay.
Steel tools - each sells for about 1k, but they don't stack.
Leather armor - gets you about 2x the money than if you just sold the leather itself.
Coats, dusters, business suit parts, military gear, and hazmat suit bits all sell for a good amount.
Anything 9mm pistol related, they're hot garbage.
Reinforced drawbridges - they stack, and they're worth 5k apiece.

Traders will generally only take 2-3 stacks of a thing at once, but you can game it with certain things (like you can disassemble a pistol and sell the component parts individually if he isn't taking whole pistols).

What to look for at a trader:

Augers, chainsaws, and steel tools will all give you a huge boost in leveling speed - you can buy forged steel to repair them from the traders, buy or find and dismantle munitions containers, or dismantle these little weird metal T's in the ground near industrial POIs and car mechanic shops. I think there's a couple other things you can dismantle for forged steel, but I can't remember atm.
High quality melee weapons are great to have, too - it gives you a hell of an advantage early game and if you can get a good hunting knife or spiked club that fucker can last you a long goddamn time. Also, bladed weapons are awesome especially when you get blade guy up so you get the +50% harvest bonus and each deer gives you 20 raw meat.

Protip for anyone going with bladed weapons: Always, always, ALWAYS be cutting up corpses. You get XP when you cut them up before they gore block even though you don't get rotting flesh or bones, and you can effectively double the rate that the skill goes up. And you'll be very happy later when you need to mass-produce glue and you happen to have a few thousand bones laying around.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Mr Hootington posted:

guys shut doors if you are visiting bases. :)

I was playing on a private server a while back with another goon friend of mine who wasn't great about shutting doors behind him and was working on stringing lights around the base when I heard a dog horde come by. I wasn't too concerned, not until they ran upstairs and started gnoshing on my rear end. Cue laughs and expletives :v:

He didn't need Discord to hear my startled yelp.
:negative:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Yeah I wouldn't mind modding it to more of a romero-style, with lots and lots of regular shamblers.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

fake edit: ^Haha, that's awesome

The Fun Pimps have been going through updating the regular houses in Navezgane into vertical dungeon POIs like the new skyscrapers and the dev in this video walks through a couple of them, they look really awesome and I can't wait to fight through them myself. He says it'll take about 20 hours to clear all the new houses they've made. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBau-ZkbYW4

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

That is very true, there's nothing quite like turning around in your base while managing inventory to find a pack of dogs your oh-so-helpful teammates let inside!

Jokes aside, the MP in this game (with other goons) is some of the most fun chill survival gameplay I've had. gently caress pubbie servers.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

What I saw one steamer do is to dig out a deep 3-wide moat around 3 sides of his base, and they would consistently run around the moat to attack the one open side. It looks like it worked out pretty well.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Not to mention that cutting up all the corpses you created was a great way to grind the hell out of your bladed weapons stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Backpedal and use the standard attack at the edge of your range until they fall down and then run at them and hit them as they get up. With a wooden club it takes about 3-4 headshots to knock them down and then a couple more hits while they're getting up. The melee combat is very methodical and ideally you should never get hit by walkers. Make sure you're aware of your surroundings and what you might be backing up into, you don't want to get cornered. Also it makes it really easy if you don't fight zombies inside the POI where it's cluttered with furniture, just wake them up and lead them outside where you can dispatch them at your leisure.

Also if you take the first rank of the stealth damage perk you can 1-shot most of the standard zombies with a regular bow and stone arrows, useful for cutting down the weaker zombies before you have to engage the tougher ones so you aren't fighting everything at once.

The power attack is strong and it does extra damage when zombies fall down but the trade-off is that your stamina takes a few seconds to start regenerating after the big swing. Good for finishing off solo zeds but you gotta be careful around groups. It'll be really powerful later in the game when you have more stamina-saving skills, though.

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 20, 2018