Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Just started playing this, so far the crossbow is amazing, oneshot most zombies with headshots and very very easy to make. No mic so will have to take my chances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Having fun so far, doled out some frontier justice and ran around alone for a while. Got blessed by the murderchurch and went and did the lords work with a shotgun.

As for losing your inventory i've taken to digging a hole, shoving in a chest and just putting the important stuff in there then covering it over. It's not foolproof but it's unlikely that anyone will stumble over a chest buried under the ground at random.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Do zombies not move across lakes? It's only one block deep, but I've never seem any in the water.

They definately go across lakes, they seem to avoid the water for the most part though

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

Yeah, They almost never go in water unless something's really got their attention. Like setting off about 20 tnt at once in the middle of the lake. I dunno if the big hole in the water in the middle makes them see the water as less than a full block or what but they almost killed me and some people in the lag after blowing up a place on a lake.

Firing a gun a few times can do it and the water makes it tricky to do anything against the growing angry horde

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Splode posted:

Alright, can somebody explain how respawning works? I know you can select your spawn point on the map, but I can't work out what happens when you don't have one selected.
If I suicide without a selected spawn point, I seem to respawn on my corpse (wow, I never need to eat again...)
If you die any other way, where do you spawn? If I want to destroy a base, I should steal their beds and then kill them, correct?

Also, is there any way to restrict who can spawn at a bed? It seems awfully easy to just suicide teleport into someone's base and wreck it.

Not sure exactly how respawning works but yeah it is very easy to suicide teleport which is why anyone smart doesnt have a bed in their house, maybe close by but definately not in it!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Splode posted:

I wonder why they don't just use minecraft's system

Well its still early alpha yet, im sure they could add in both public and private beds at some point, until then dont put a bed in your base and keep it hidden

Bit of a free for all going on at the moment on the goon server, some guy apparently has unlimited rocket launcher ammo and tnt and is levelling the place.

Any way to identify as a goon if you dont have mumble by the way?

Kea fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 5, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Im thinking about jumping on this. I think this is the game that I wanted Rust to be, but Rust kind of disappoints me in that they seem to follow the Day Z way of doing things and pretty much want you to be lost. But from what I hear, this game at least has a map.

Theres a map and you can move between spawn points easily, theres crafting and zombies, its p great

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Pon de Bundy posted:

So this game won't work for poo poo on a laptop, correct? It looks pretty intense.

Running it on an older laptop, i3 at 2.4ghz and 3gig ram, intel HD graphics. runs pretty well, stutters here and there but playable.

[quote="simosimo" post=""""]
*things*
[/quote]

Loot does not respawn ever. Zombies will slowly congregate towards you even if they cant see you but they wont start on you unless you are within a certain distance (much less at night). Undergound is pretty safe, far safer than above ground!

If you decide to play multiplayer (do it) trust no one, remember that you will lose your inventory if you disconnect (make a hidden stash somewhere) and most of the world will probably be scavenged out by the time you play, but there are ways to get most items.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Inkel posted:

Did we change this with the new server reset? Because you should keep your items if you exit the game normally. If the server crashes, or if you have to close the game from the task manager or something like that, then you'll lose your stuff(or at least get rolled back some) but otherwise it should still be with you when you reconnect.

Ah i never keep my inventory when i disconnect so i assumed that was normal

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Easiest way to keep your personal poo poo hidden is to dig a few blocks down and place a chest, then cover it back up. Either have a good memory or mark it with something not obvious, and make sure no one sees you go there, and it'll be pretty safe.

As much as I like goonserver, it's a bit clusterfucky. I'd like to survive with a couple other goons more normally.

I keep hidden stashes as a normal precaution, got a good amount of arms and ammunition hidden away on goonserver right now, ingame name is kea40000 so just lemme know who you are if you need a hand.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
The running zombies are a bit of a problem but mainly because of the lag, i cant kill anything because i keep freezing up, not to mention some guy is on right now killing an insane amount of people, though he could just be good and not hacking.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Loving this so far but I have a few hopes for future releases.

• Some sort of leaping zombie to make pitfall traps less effective.
  • Some kind of digging zombie to prevent underground bases being quite so safe.
  • fix the stupid spawn system + add private spawn points, perhaps limited to one per player at any one time
  • siege zombie or something similar, able to break down walls and other fortifications faster, possibly make them slower than usual.
  • a "smart" zombie who inspires closer zombies to use tools or something?
  • maybe a mechanic were the bigger the horde the more dangerous they become, breaking blocks faster etc?
  • a proximity alarm of some kind, maybe scavenged burglar alarms from houses?
  • possibly an infection mechanic that needs to be managed, take too much infection and something happens, temporary zombiehood or similar?

Some of these ideas are probably terrible but it was just a few possible ideas.

A quick look over youtube shows a lot of people clamouring to make certain walls zombie proof, which seems kind of besides the point of the game, though you could have it that if there is a "mob strength" mechanic like I mentioned that mobs below a certain size couldnt break down certain strength walls.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Archonex posted:

So to test the whole "reset the map without resetting your base" thing, I reset everything except for goontown and the area around it. There should be a new supply rush as a result now.

If another area needs exemption from being reset, let me know. I asked last night but got no replies.

I had a hidden base full of weaponry and supplies woops.

drat double post, quote != edit.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Archonex posted:

Actually, it looks like it's not removing player made constructions. Just replacing existing chests. I found a massive pubbie fort in the middle of nowhere that definitely should have been wiped.

So build storage chests I guess.

Great! I hardly ever seem to find any pubbie forts which is a great dissappointment.

edit: Looks like my base wasnt saved for whatever reason, i dont think i would ever have used half that stuff though so nevermind.

Kea fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 6, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

d3c0y2 posted:

I got on for a little bit, people where shouting about ODIN for some reason. Some pubbie called Russian bear chased me around for about 10 minutes, got murdered and quit the game, then some dude alled geek shot me a few times and it was all laggy as poo poo.

Fun times.

Bit of a primer for you and anyone else new. First off avoid other people who arent confirmed goons since most of them are insanely paranoid and will shoot first. Secondly craft a crossbow, needs sticks (punch a bush or craft wood into them), plant fibre (crafted from grass that drops when you punch it). Then make some bolts, made from feathers (zombies or nests) sticks, small stones (can be crafted from stone or found as rocks on the ground).

You have to have the ammunition for a weapon in your action bar as well as the weapon to reload, you will drop anything you have in your action bar upon death which is why the crossbow is so good, a headshot will kill a zombie and they are basically disposable.

You may lose your inventory on logging out, as far as i can tell this happens to some people and not others so test this before amassing an inventory full of loot.

Above ground bases are more or less invitations to get looted/raided, underground is best.

More zombies spawn in cities and near places of interest (ruins etc) so watch out where you go.

You can change your spawn point by clicking on any star or tent symbol on the map, all spawn points are PUBLIC meaning if you place a bed to create one ANYONE can use it, if you want a spawn for your hidden base put the bed somewhere nearby.

If you run out into the wilderness between interesting areas you can find loot even on a server thats 20 + days old, look for bags lying on the floor especially around areas that are nothing buts trees/wasteland.

Zombies are effected by the light, during the day they will walk UNLESS they are in a dark place (house with blocked up windows etc) you can use torches to slow zombies down, a good tip is to place a torch if you are running from zombies, when they hit the pool of light they will slow down and you can get away.

Stamina is super important, drinking refills it more or less instantly. If you have no/low stamina any breaking actions or non missile attacks will do CONSIDERABLY less damage (1-2 headstabs at full stamina or 10+ at no stamina).

Lastly gravetown and the other urban areas are looted first so they are likely to be cleaned out AND full of zombies/lunatics trying to build bases their.

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope some people find it useful!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mide posted:

So I've been reading up a bit about this game and it seems extremely interesting. There is a lot of negative comments over steam though which has me a bit worried and the price tag of 35 dollars seems a bit high but I'd still pay if the game is as fun as it seems it is or can be. What would you all say, having played the game for a bit now?

I'll be honest with you, its a good feature rich alpha that is also a good game, I have definately got my moneys entertainment out of it so far and as long as it keeps updating i think it will get even better. However the price IS pretty high. I suppose it depends if you are more interested in singleplayer or multiplayer?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mide posted:

Yah, I'm really big on multiplayer games and played quite a bit of Minecraft on Goon servers. How are our current goon servers for this game, and would it be too frustrating for a newbie to jump into the world without too much trouble?

Only one goon server at the moment, not a huge population right now, I imagine it will pick up when the game gets a few more features etc.

I made a decent size beginners style post a few posts back you could look at.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

William Bear posted:

One guy on youtube suggests a sky bridge, shaped like an upside-down U, with ladders on the verticals. Zombies don't use ladders, right?

zombies can DEFINATELY climb ladders, without a doubt, however they cannot break a block above them while on the ladder so as long as you place any old block ontop they cannot get up.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

oldskool posted:

Goonchurch worked on this principle except instead of blocks they were giant spikes, so there was no jump to make. Another of the handful of poor decisions with that base to go with the several dozen great decisions.

Latest terrible decision is the current location of goontown, which has about 2 large zombie spawns in it, absolute nightmare, I say we blow it the gently caress up and move somewhere new.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

TrinityOfDeath posted:

Goonbases are not chosen for their practicality or functionality. The current base is in the rich part of town, because that's how we roll. In style. Murderchurch was awesome.

In other news, I made a pubbie into a "fish" this morning. I got him to jump into the pool, and blocked it off on top. He apparently didn't know you could suicide out, so I made him talk in fish language to ask for his release, since he was a fish and all. His final words were "blub blub blub out" before I let him out and cut him down with a chainsaw, yelling at him my intent to wear his fish-face.

This game rocks when you play it the wrong way.

I was there, this was amazingly hilarious. He kept asking me for help for some reason.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Archonex posted:

So serious Murderchurch/Murdertown chat here:

The problem i've noticed is that every time I work with goons to build Murderchurch/Murderfort/Murdertown one or two of them gently caress up the defenses i'm building by placing poo poo wrong.

I suggest a 30 block (at least) trench all the way around murdertown. Laos the zombie spawns from the crater have definately not stopped, the spawns are base on co-ordinates not the actual landmark itself.

Kea fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 7, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

kedo posted:

Which sounds awesome. I sincerely hope the cover over the crater will dissolve the first time a pubbie walks over it, dropping them into a massive pit filled to the brim with zombies.

You can also add/remove spawn points.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Inkel posted:

This is very true. I was there with Pickles and Cookies yesterday on one of those "mining operations" into pubbie bases. I accidently trapped Pickles in a section of the base with a TNT stack. So my smart self decided I'll just dig him a walkway through the wall, so I take out my pickaxe and start hitting the wall. Totally didn't think about the TNT stack right next to the wall. The crater where both our bodies laid afterwards was glorious.

First time I saw TNT I basically went "huh weird, that looks like tntn...IT IS tnt! *punch* *explode*"

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Drakenel posted:

So there's a ton of holes in the eastern wall and most buildings minus the farm and mine entrance are leveled. Is this normal?

Poked around, found a couple of pubbies spooking around too.

Pubbies probably blew it up, it happens.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

simosimo posted:

So is the concrete fortress in the green zone a goon establishment?

When in doubt, blow it up.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

God damnit twice now I've crashed while on the goon server and had to alt+f4 out of the game, and each time I've lost everything I've gotten since it last saved. :(

Think yourself lucky, I lose everything even if I log out properly.

Edit: If the server hasnt been reset spawn in the bottom left spawn point and travel south to the border with the radiated area, then head to your right (facing the irradiated area) you should find a hole with 5 chests or so with a few supplies in them.

Alternatively spawn in the bottom right, travel east to the edge of the irradiated zone, go north past the mountain/bluff thing and keep on the edge of the irradiated zone, break the sand on the floor near where a small outcrop comes out of the irradiated zone making a hill.

Kea fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 10, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Inkel posted:

I haven't found them yet, but then again I've spent most of my time repairing Murdertown's defenses and stopping the internal zombie spawns. On another note, there's a hacker on the server named "itsBandit" (without the quotations), and he is invisible both in the world and on the player list. I'm not exactly sure how he killed me, but it seemed similar to someone on Counter Strike with speed hacks and a knife.

Edit: same thing with a player, "Sebastion". I can hear him running around invisible with speed hacks and a pickaxe. He's spawn camped me a couple times now..

The hacking is really annoying, I hope alpha 6 closes some of the holes.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mistle posted:

Can't speak for Rust personally, but for a friend, he tell me that Rust is very Alpha, in that it has piecemeal features, and about half of them work. A more detailed breakdown isn't worth the 30 bucks, from what I gather.

Care to update the server info in the OP? New players might look for LLJK and end up not finding explosionlust v:v:v

Server is still called LLJK so they can still find it the same way.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Mistle posted:

I still love how pubbies get pissy when they spawn on you, thinking you're their friend. We had three or so people do this and ragequit because of it :allears:

I always love it when you see a pubbie and shoot them and they ask you why would you do that, its brilliant. That and claiming you are friendly then as soon as night falls destroying their bed and shooting them.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

drat, I really want to experience the new content, but the crossbow aiming bug makes it way too hard to dispatch zombies. Any good first-few-nights weapons? The spiked club is excellent but not really reliable when you get swarmed.

If you are getting swarmed the best weapon you have is sprinting away, drop a torch as you go (if its night) and the zombies will be forced to slow to a walk when they enter the light. That can help you get away safely.

EDIT: After playing for a bit the crossbow works fine, still shoots exactly the same as far as I can tell, just a minor glitch if you are zoomed in when you reload.

Also duping is still possible, so gigantic piles of tnt on pubbies arent impossible.

Kea fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 16, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

HoratioRash posted:

Behold the murderlodge

Still needs a huge chasm infront to reduce zombies.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Been playing my favourite game of asking pubbies if they are friendly then shooting them if they say yes, then apologising a lot saying my finger slipped, then doing it again.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Dark_Adonis posted:

I thought I saw you making crosses for the corpses of fallen pubbies as well.

Yup, wooden crosses anywhere I killed him, kind of an adding insult to injury thing I thought.

edit: or a memorial to his gullibility.

Kea fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 17, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Ranou posted:

Cant believe the pubbies fall for the same "trick" 3 times in a row then still think you are just as bad as them at shooting, so they dont shoot you on site

You would be amazed, a lot of pubbies want to build a little fort with some people and hold out there so they will put up with all sorts, its mean (but hilarious)

A good pubbie murder tip is to ask if anyones friendly (preferably at night) and ask for shelter, when you get there, shoot them!

edit: also the gun dropping trick works WAY too often, ammo is good too, drop it on the ground and watch the pubbie run over to see what it is, bang, headshot.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
As predictably as you can possibly be, a pubbie has built a base in spillway lake.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

I think very early on zombies would be aggroed constantly or something but couldn't go through water so all the people who got in while it was still on kickstarter found that was the only way to survive. And as the updates came and AI and game changed.. they didn't and continually do the same thing over and over when they join a new server for some reason. :spergin:

Yeah well it wasn't his best idea, I mean it was a lovely little fort.

WAS being the operative word here.

Poor guy.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Conot posted:

You need to opt in to the dev branch, right click the game in Steam and go to the Betas tab.

Wait you are a goon?

Edit: tempted to level every building that isn't goonlodge, force the pubbies into a desolate wasteland (more desolate wasteland)

Kea fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 18, 2014

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Is the server down again? I can't access it at all.

Yeah it's down, bit of a pubbie free for all too so kill on sight!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Well apparently some pubbie named Kado has issued a challenge to all goons, claiming that he will build a goon-proof base.

The funny thing is he told me someone destroyed his base, he doesnt know it was me (pictures above)

Also the tnt might have been my fault, but it was only about 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

simosimo posted:

I want to live in that lodge! I fear of goon friendly fire though :smith:

Theres actually very little friendly fire between goons as long as they know who you are, there are more than enough pubbies to target instead!