Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
How easy is it to find your friends in this? And do you spawn with a map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

Depends on the server settings. Everyone spawns with access to a map, but the server host can choose whether or not players and hideouts are marked on the map when booting it up.

If player icons on the map are set to yes you can see all hideouts and players everywhere at all times. If not, it appears to work so that you only see players on the map and mini-map near you, and I think hideouts you've discovered by traveling to them.

I noticed one hideout that was nearby disappeared when I traveled to a different city. So assuming that someone didn't pick the bed up I assume there's a range on them too that keeps you from suiciding to get back to your base with loot if player icons is set to off. This also means that ambushing players is much easier since the range of detection appears to be fairly close. I lost sight of two players when they hit the forests while I was in the center of a city.

If i'm right, setting player icons to off turns the game into a pretty hardcore zombie apocalypse sim as a world gets depleted. Mind you though, I haven't explored the map icon settings that heavily yet so I could be mistaken about how the map works when icons are set to off. But it seems pretty well thought out at a first glance.

The world customization has a fair bit of adaptability to it, really. The fact that you can easily switch a world from a creative style Minecraft world and back to survival quickly with a few clicks of a mouse is one of the things i'm liking about it so far, outside of the gameplay itself.

Cool. Thanks. I've picked it up to try coop with my mate (we tried Arma3's Breaking Point mod and Rust, but both are a bit hard to play coop without a lot of map knowledge, so this should be good fun for a quick 'zombie sandbox' coop. Cheers.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

BORK! BORK! posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is food and water? Do you need to eat and drink 30 times an hour like DayZ/WarZ? If not then I think this could be really drat cool to get on the ground floor of.

I set up a game with 24 hours taking 30 minutes. I only needed to eat once in that time. I don't know if that changes depending on how long you setup the 24 taking (x) to a longer time.

*edit*
I also didn't have trouble finding food.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Well at least there's some gameplay variation, but I still think I'm gonna sit on this for now. Maybe its just me but I'm really sick of zombies being to goto enemy in survival games. I get that recently they are all trying to capture the feeling of Day Z, but they're just so drat boring. I mean there are tons of monsters that could bring about an apocalyptic scenario but everyone just uses zombies which shamble around. I think if a survival game really wanted to make me feel stressed out it would have me trying to survive against something I haven't fought in games a dozen times before.

Then again I'm probably not the target audience for these kind of games since I lack a group of gaming friends to play it with.

Zombies in this, and the dog variants and so on, are rather bloody freaky. Come night time they are brutal. They're often very fast, some have ranged attacks and can really catch you out. Also flying mutant bee's/fly's. They loving suck.

I get why you're waiting though. I personally love me some zombie games. I don't know what it is, but I'm a sucker and that's fine, but there have been so many bad ones of late, that its really ruining what could be a really cool aspect to a survival game.

At least in early DayZ, the zombies were just the catalyst for human interaction, which is what made it so much fun.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Don't think this and its conceptual sister-game, Rust, are for me, sadly. I can't get into the mindset of enjoying building something when at any moment some other kid can come into the sandbox and kick over your sand castle. That is not what I build sand castles for.

I build them so I can kick them over when I'm done. Myself!

This is why I'm hosting a closed, passworded server for me and a friend to play in. I enjoy it more that way.

Where rust is just about staying alive if you can.