Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thinking I'm gonna start up a small server for some friends. Any recommendations for dedicated server vendors? Also any mod recommendations for first time players, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alright my internet friends and I are real deep into this. Biggest question so far: how the hell do I enable other people to move things in our shared base? My land claim block is down but only I can move forges and other placed items. I edited the server to have a LCB dead zone of one so once somebody else is on I'll see if they can place one and move stuff.

It's real annoying for them when I'm not online and they have to move something like a turret they placed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Zurreco posted:

If they are partied up and your server allows it, they should be able to relocate anything. Did you lock the items?

It's a private server so we're all allied up. I don't see any options in the server webpage for allowing or disallowing allies to move things, is it something I can set from the console?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Have you tried accessing the radial menu (I think by holding E while looking at the object) and unlocking it?

Yeah there's no lock option on any of these forges, work benches, turrets etc.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/n9bimv

I don't really have anything else to offer at this time, I haven't recorded much.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a general time frame between releases or is it mostly just whenever it's ready?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a rough estimate for a21 based off times for previous updates?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

genuinely looking forward to flowing water physics if they get that working

I don't even care about flow, I just want to be able to make a pool or moat. Last time I tried I had to spend an hour with an inventory of buckets collecting cubes of water that were floating all over the god damned base.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are most mods updated pretty quickly for a new Alpha?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A22 looks pretty good already.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I install a non-server-only mod like Khaine's 15 slot toolbar on my server, do all the players need to have it installed, or will their game just ignore it if they don't have it installed?

Edit: Someone logged on while I was testing it and they didn't have any problems while not having the mod installed, and it works for me, so.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 20, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PowderKeg posted:

If they don't get KingGen updated relatively soon, maybe we should give this map a go:

https://7daystodiemods.com/map-new-york-undead-21/

At some point I want to do a Romero zombie reset too (god I hate ferals), but that can wait.

Loading this up on my Steam group's server. The guy who lives in New York is low key excited to be able to live in his apartment in game while playing said game from his apartment in New York.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Slow News Day posted:

Is there a way to pre-generate a world locally and transfer it to the server?

Check the Knowledge Base on Host Havoc, you can upload a world from your computer. I did that with the New York map.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So my server took over a police station that already had a wall. I've installed a steel hatch on one side and encased all the exterior concrete walls in a second layer of concrete but zombies still partially beat on the walls instead of going to the hatch. How do I get them to only go to the hatch, if that's possible?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Because it’s so easy to create a pile up of zombies on a thin block any zombies which take fall damage will always start attacking the nearest and weakest player block.

Is this during a blood moon or just random wandering zombies? Wandering zombies are more likely to go for a door if one is on the direct path to you/a source of Heat but if they don’t see one they’ll just beat on whatever is in front of them. If it’s during a blood moon then your steel hatch might have “outclassed” your concrete walls in the zombie brains. Steel hatches are pretty tough and the zombies might now see that it would be quicker to get through the concrete walls instead of the hatch.

Just regular zombies. We're running the wandering hordes mod and the police station is right inside a wasteland or whatever biome so we've got a lot of zombies that show up. I guess a moat would help but in previous maps I've seen them just start attacking the ground instead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe I should downgrade to an iron hatch then, until we have steel walls.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have y'all heard of this mod called District Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Looting and questing in this game is absolute bare minimum and I would have zero interest in the game as is if crafting was scaled back or didn't exist. Quests are just "go here: kill zombies, find item, or both" then things like "hold a button for 30 seconds and kill zombies."

I mean sure it's only an alpha in its 10th year so you gotta wait for stuff.