Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do we have a Discord for this? Fresh player, but I'm too much a pansy to play solo because night time gives me the creeps and I'm tired of zombies and wolves saying hello and trying to be friendly whilst I'm attempting to build my little shack. I keep dying cause one smacks me in the back, and it takes me forever to kill zombies, even with headshots and using a wooden club.

So yeah, any newbies from the UK who would be up for some multiplayer goodness, PM me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

You can have a lot better weapon than wood on day one, in fact I would suggest just punching zombies to death over a wood club.

such as?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

down the line, will I be able to craft armour that lets me tank enemy hits a bit better? I have no idea how difficult combat is at higher levels, but I can't even imagine fighting 4 or 5 zombies at night. They'd just rush around you and overwhelm you. a single zombie takes a decent amount of health off of me if I make a mistake, and the chance to get infected is irritating as well.

so will I be able to craft armour down the line that lets me wade through small groups of zombies without too much risk?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ah that's a shame, I prefer melee in zombie games. feels more immersive. and AFAIK using ranged weapons like guns just attracts more zombies, and in survival games I can't shake the old habit of "conserve ammo, this poo poo doesn't grow on trees". but I guess 7d2d makes ammo easy to get?

I also never even thought of harvesting leather sofas. every time I hit stuff in a pregenned building, I assume I'm just destroying it. i've never gotten resources out of it so I never bothered.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

do flashlights attract zombies if I shine it at them? so many misconceptions I have that have been ingrained into me from previous survival / zombie games.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cheers for all the help, this game has crazy good atmosphere. glad to hear melee option is viable most of the time.

I've been hearing complaints from people saying zombies spawn in their base, is this true? moreso when you take over pre-existing buildings. I was originally going to renovate a dilapidated house out in the desert, but I noticed there were some sleeping zombies in it, so it made me worry that once I'd put time and effort into reinforcing the place, zombies would still magically spawn inside. that's a shame.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i can't play this game solo cause i'm too scared, but none of my friends play it. feels bad. if i had someone to play with, i'd feel 100% less freaked out cause it'd be like they're sorta holding my hand, ya know?

i'm waiting on a friend who said he'd get it, but i don't know when that will be.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wouldn't spend $30 on this game. $15-20 is perfect for what this game is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

you know you can turn off zombies if you find them too scary

listen man i might be scared but i'll soldier through it

plus zombies are like a core part of the game! i also really miss the food network now, thanks

Qubee
May 31, 2013

played this game with some friends. It got old, really, really fast. the amount of effort required to get a furnace, and the entire time we thought "boy, this took us ages to do, so surely the upgraded tools it provides will be worth the effort". we all made ourselves iron axes, and were excited to go out and chop wood really fast.

except the axes were garbage and only gave us +2 wood gathering per swing. we were all noobs so we'd died a bunch of times and were stuck constantly with 70 health and stamina, which was a major pain in the rear end. keeping ourselves fully fed and hydrated didn't boost our wellness back to max. our iron axes would be good for about 6 swings and then our stamina would be so low that we'd get +2 wood per swing.

it was a really painful and boring experience. on the 7th day, a zombie horde attacked us, but it was easily rebuffed since they killed themselves on our wooden spikes. after that, we did a bunch of looting, but the game got stale really quickly. the reward satisfaction was barely there, and everything was such a grind and a slog for subpar rewards.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's the game. It's a constant slog, building isn't fun, basic stuff like log spikes takes a tonne of resources, the reward factor is less reward, more punishment.

I was really hype about this game, but man did getting hooked on it for two days really show me it's not a gem in the rough, it's just rough.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This game is ridiculously good despite having a healthy level of jank. When my friend and I first started playing, we thought it would be a bad purchase, but drat were we wrong. Exploring the PoIs is exciting every single time (thanks to all the hidden loot, zombies that ambush, secret rooms etc), Blood Moon events are wild and get your adrenaline pumping when things invariably go haywire despite your best preparation efforts, progression is fun and rewarding (with loot bumped up to 200% cause at default it's a bit of a slog), and there's always something to do or look forward to.

We've just finished repurposing our original house we took over at the start of the game and have survived 2 horde attacks, the 2nd one was extremely hairy and we almost lost everything. We're now reinforcing a little panic room with as much wet cement as we can afford, and are trying to figure out a good kill tunnel design. It's been a great learning experience and we realise the three hours we spent digging a 2-deep trench around the house and filling it with wooden spikes was a complete waste of time as the hordes destroyed every single spike, and we're not interested in farming the obscene amount of wood that required to do it again.

So we're going to make a kill tunnel and just stack spike after spike and let the zombies come to us whilst we shoot from a safe distance. The only problem this game has is the fact it's too addicting. I constantly want to play, whereas my friend doesn't like when a game sucks him in this much, so he'll purposefully cut things off early. This brings out the basement dweller in me big time. I'm real excited for the base we build from the ground up, I'm thinking a raised base sat on pillars with a single ramp entry to funnel the zombies in is the way to go. Let's us shoot from the sides whilst they rush to get us.

How's multiplayer on public servers with PvP? Is it fun or do players just KoS all the time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gromit posted:

My group of friends is at the opposite stage of this. We've played it for 300 hours or something and whenever we get around to starting again the plan is to reduce loot and toughen up the zombies as we were geared up at a pretty early stage and it took a lot of the tension out. We're probably waiting for a decent patch to come out, as the last one just a week or two ago was pretty lacklustre.

We plan on going this route too once we finish this starter game and get tired of it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I download mods and host the server, will my friend automatically have the mods downloaded or will he get an error when trying to join?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can you link me that mod or tell me the name? Sounds like it's worth checking out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The only mobs able to kill me in the early game are zombie dogs. I spawned in once and almost immediately died as soon as I left spawn because of a zombie dog. In fact, even mid-game, they're the only enemy that I'm actually worried of, because they get right up in my face and manage to bite a few times before I kill them.

I play with 4x zombies, it's a lot more fun. Biomes actually feel dangerous and you realise how empty the world felt on default spawn settings. It can be a bit annoying when you're trying to build or do stuff and constantly have to fight off a slow trickle of zombies that wander your way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just the thought of someone staring at a stack of 6000 iron being smelted is too funny, sorry you were going through that man. Also, is there no ambiance setting in audio?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think we're doing our final horde before calling it quits. It's the fourth horde and we've consistently bumped up zombie count during each one as there's not enough of a challenge. Our previous horde base got demolished but that wasn't because of difficulty, we failed to notice a bunch of zeds smashing our structural pillars so our entire base fell lol. Also have had the 4x roaming zombies mod but it doesn't make the game more fun, it's just an annoyance because 99% of the zombies we bump into are variants we've killed hundreds of times.

We just got the steel crucible but at this point in the game it doesn't feel worth getting the chainsaw / auger / jeep / gyro as we've pretty much experienced all the game has to offer, and being able to resource gather faster doesn't seem like a fun endgame experience (plus, locking these tools behind impossible to find schematics just to prolong playtime is ehhh). The novelty of raiding PoIs is wearing thin as well because we're noticing a lot of the same gimmicks between PoIs. So yeah, for people who have played the game a lot, is there anything worth sticking around for, or are we pretty much done with the game since we have great armour, steel tools, a motorcycle each and a horde base that withstands pretty much anything that gets thrown at it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You're doing fine, progress-wise? Sounds like your worst enemy is yourself, cause you seem to put a lot of pressure on certain things when you don't have to. Me and my friend were rocking bikes around day 20, and the only reason we managed that is because there was two of us, so double loot from raiding PoIs (in the sense we could carry more before having to return to base), double resources from gathering, double everything. We only felt pressure to min-max for the bloodmoon our very first time because we had no idea what to expect, but after that, we only ever really spent the two days leading up to bloodmoon preparing the base, but it was fun, not stressful or thinking how to min-max. The rest of the time we'd just be doing PoIs and quests.

I don't think we felt comfortable to venture out at night until our 3rd week. Things did quickly start to snowball for us after we had bikes, though for the longest time we were stuck at motorcycle progression and were just zipping about on minibikes because finding the schematics is a nightmare, and neither one of us wanted to dedicated a whole bunch of levels just to unlock it via perk tree. Eventually we just decided to keep hitting traders until we found the schematics or chassis, and were able to pool our money together to afford a single bike that we shared.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I always thought the lack of xp from placing fully-made blocks was a stupid idea. xp should be given regardless of whether you're upgrading from scratch or placing fully crafted blocks, just let the xp hit when you right click to place the block down.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Or just eat shards of glass when you can't be bothered to find food. Death has next to no penalty, just an xp malus that you quickly make back up. Levelling eventually becomes almost impossible due to the insanely exponential xp requirements between levels, so it taking an extra 5 minutes to ding when the entire level takes an hour or more is no biggie.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Having an absolute blast playing the new A21 update with a friend. Only criticism is progression has been slowed way the hell down. I am totally okay with and completely understand the item drop rework, as it used to be a bit silly getting incredibly good weapons / armour based purely off of chance on your third hour in the game. But making everything unlock via magazine is a total ache.

We've been hardcore grinding this game for coming up to three days now, and we've not even managed to unlock the forge. We're still running around with stone tools and weapons, despite having reached 12 days ingame.

I feel like we're hitting a wall where we're getting tired of the current gamestage and want to start making more things - iron tools, bullets, etc. but we're locked behind chance drops of magazines.

PS: Should I invest in Intelligence attribute to unlock the Grease Monkey perks, or do Traders drop a Minibike / Motorcycle if you progress far enough up the quest chain like they did with our bicycles?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

We don't split magazines, we just read everything even if there's 2 of the same one because the book icon isn't open, which means we can still get exp. Typically, none of us actually even read what we pick up, if the small book icon is closed, we read it.

I will tell the group to split mags from now on, so anything forge related or grease monkey related can go to a specific person so we can level it up faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

sushibandit posted:

What the hell did they do to the lighting??? Walk into a POI at midday for a mission, no clouds in sight, and autoexposure goes turbo and basically makes it impossibly dark, can't see a loving thing without whipping out a torch. This is asinine.

I've noticed this too, bright day outside and everything is fine, enter a building and suddenly things will turn pitch black but still maintain a hint of daylight for no reason whatsoever. We're not even deep inside a building, we can be right by the windows and it'll still be borderline impossible to see.