Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
So I have a server with 12 2.5ghz cores, 64gb of RAM and a 500M fiber connection. Just setup this game on it. Anyone have any idea how many slots I can setup without worrying about it crashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Cowboybot posted:

As many as you want, as long as you realize that each slot will be exploded with TNT as soon as we find it.

Haha thats the plan, but for some reason its lagging with 10. Im running it on Debian, guess Im going to have to load windows. Its also not saving anyones inventory.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Well server is up and has 10-20 pubbies at a time. Game name is "30m day FF On"

Everyone is playing nicely with eachother and no ones killing anyone else.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Ak Gara posted:

How do you change the spawn rate anyhow?

Wish I knew this, finally got a dedicated windows server setup and want to greatly increase the difficulty.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
I figured out how to increase some spawns, and add airdrop crates. The file is "entityspawners.xml" under Data/worlds/Navezgane

Edit that file, convert all classes that are "SpawnSmall" and "SpawnMedium" to "SpawnLarge".

You can also copy/paste a line, slightly change the pos field (a few numbers off) and change the class to "SpawnSupplyCrates" and supply crates will drop once a day. I set the trigger to 38.

Its working on my server.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

It crashed. Alpha's gonna alpha.

I just put it back up, though I may reboot it once I finish making these edits to the server config files. Will remove the need to reset the map if I can spawn in supply crates.

They spawn once a day, so I put them near the original large spawn locations. Im not familiar enough with the location pos data to figure out how to place them more precisely.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
My server is named "Supply Drops Enabled"

GameName is "PVP with Supply Drops"

24 slot

Pubbies are murdering eachother over the crate drop locations, then the large zombie waves spawn on them mid fight. Its added a ton to the game, supply drops should be an option without modding it.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Gumby posted:

Still fairly new to this, so am playing around in single-player for now until I get the hang of things. Something that occurred to me:

Since you fell trees by whacking at them until they fall to the ground in the form of easily pickuppable blocks of wood, does leveling a building result in the same results?

In other words, if I take out the supporting walls of a building, when it collapses is it in the form of pickuppable blocks, or are all the concrete/wood/brick etc. resources unusable?

Yep, as long as you pick it up in time. Even railing is destructible and can be moved somewhere else.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

You mind uploading your config file? I can tweak it for the goon server, and it'll save a little time setting up proper positions.

Edit: Never mind, set up a test version myself. Time to see if it works. Let me know if you spot crates in the world.

Mines in a VM, installing the vmware tools now so I can copy/paste the file I made off the server. I basically just copied the pos numbers from places where large packs of zombies roam.

One bug I found is if a crate is dropped onto a tree, it wont ever hit the ground. If you chop it down, the crate falls, but partially breaks, but still shows on the mini map.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Mewnie posted:

On the Supply server, I don't think it's the crates that are causing the lag, but the sheer number of zombies.

There's a massive horde over the mine and I can't even pick things up now.

Pubbie got in the base and robbed us blind while corpse camping me :( Guess that's it for the night.

e: Okay, something is up. Whenever I die, suicide or by zombie, it says that player killed me.

Reduced the number of zombies. I noticed the player killed you bug as well, but that was before I touched any files.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
-89, 59, -606

Location for the junkyard east of gravetown if you want airdrops there

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

MineNotPine posted:

You can always try turning down the view distance so your computer isn't loading so much non-default map at once.

I keep running into a problem where I accidentally open the console and then an error dump occurs and repeats so fast that it doesn't let you close the window. Unfortunately I've found if you alt-F4 or close the program other than clicking "Quit" ALL of your progress is lost for that session.

The burnt out region (Blue stripe in the middle of the map) has turned out to be a great place to scavenge. Sports bags, purses, duffel bags and the like all stand out. The burnt out "corners" of buildings often hold an oven+trash pile or toilets to fill empty jars. The three-block high, fat trees in the area almost always have two blueberry bushes and a bird's nest.

This bug is also triggered by hitting tab to check the player list. It opens the console and spams the red error messages and crashes you. Ive stopped checking it now due to that.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Archonex, did you have to do anything different to get your server to appear in the server browser?

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Archonex, if your server is windows based, I wrote a quick vbscript that will restart the server for you (or start it if it crashed). You have to have portqry.exe from microsoft in the 7 days to die folder and the script. I have the task scheduler running a .bat file every 6 hours that calls the script (one line, wscript restart.vbs), and the server restarts quickly. Contents of the restart.vbs file:

code:
Option Explicit

Dim WsC

Dim sConn, sFail

set WsC = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

sFail = False

sConn = WsC.Run("PortQry.exe -n 127.0.0.1 -nr -p tcp -e 8081 -q", 1, true)
WScript.Sleep 5000
if ( sConn = 1) then
	sFail = True
	WScript.Sleep 1000
	WsC.SendKeys "startdedicated"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
end if

if (sFail = False) then
' Telnet to server IP'
	WsC.SendKeys "telnet 127.0.0.1 8081"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WScript.Sleep 3000
' Send text to players warning of shutdown'
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WScript.Sleep 1000
	WsC.SendKeys "say Server restarting in 30 seconds"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WScript.Sleep 25000
	WsC.SendKeys "say Server restarting"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WScript.Sleep 5000
	WsC.SendKeys "shutdown"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WScript.Sleep 10000
' Exit Telnet and start dedicated server
	WsC.SendKeys "exit"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
	WsC.SendKeys "startdedicated"
	WsC.SendKeys ("{Enter}")
end if

bad boys for life fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 19, 2014

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

I banned him for nine thousand years and a day. :v:

Let me know if there's any other problems.

I may use this. I appreciate it. Right now i'm trying to parse out a way to ban the people who use ASCII characters in their name without having to reboot the server.

I havent found a way, since the ban file is locked due to being loaded by the server.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Urby posted:

As to my question above. Is the only thing they changed the ability to ban with ID instead of name. Could people not still just change their name and get a new ID. Or is it actually banning Steam IDs now?

Ill test it on my server now.

Edit:

And changing your steam name still bypasses the ban.

bad boys for life fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 31, 2014

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
76561197972655298#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561198040733048#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561198004120249#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561198032077268#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561198046364821#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561198006683307#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM
76561197968249227#hacker#2/6/2015 7:31:14 PM

my ban list if you want to apply it to the goon server

names dont matter anymore finally since they fixed banning in 6.4

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
I cant find the goons goons goons server, is it up? Havent played since alpha 6

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
If anyone wants an easy server to play on, I set one up with recipes that produce at least 2x the output, and guns are more easily available. 67.9.248.150:25000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
They broke the game overcorrecting for base building and crafting being a viable (and sometimes best) option in previous alphas.

I usually split time between trader quests and base building, but with recipes locked behind skill magazines, crafting and base building is too much of a slog and too random as to what you can build. Cant even get decent vehicles without way too many magazines, much less get everything to make cement. Building a lovely cobblestone base with trader acquired cement is a waste of time.

By day 6, I have a t5 sniper rifle, t3 tac rifle and more, and now its just a lovely fps. Been playing since alpha 7 off and on and this update completely changed the game to the point they may as well call it a zombie fps with minimal building and survival aspects.