Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im thinking about jumping on this. I think this is the game that I wanted Rust to be, but Rust kind of disappoints me in that they seem to follow the Day Z way of doing things and pretty much want you to be lost. But from what I hear, this game at least has a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Jumped in. Played for the first time, crawled out of a underground tunnel that I spawned in and punched a zombie in the face to death. Then I punched down a tree, then I went to a farmhouse by a cornfield and got mauled to death by a fat zombie.

Respawned, punched another zombie in the face, crossed a bridge and then blew myself up on a landmine or something.

That was pretty funny.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I dont really mind the pubbies. I think its actually kind of funny seeing them spawn in over and over just to get gunned down. You have a few that do a little damage, but most are pretty harmless.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mide posted:

So I've been reading up a bit about this game and it seems extremely interesting. There is a lot of negative comments over steam though which has me a bit worried and the price tag of 35 dollars seems a bit high but I'd still pay if the game is as fun as it seems it is or can be. What would you all say, having played the game for a bit now?

I was sold the instant that I found out that it isn't as harsh as Rust and DayZ. I like that you are given a map and can select spawn locations. Plus being in goon ville is always hilarious.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Reirrac posted:

I was able to handle zeds in goontown previously, but now it's very difficult without spending lots of ammo. There's too many of them!

Goontown is in shambles, but its kind of funny actually.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Most of them die on the sticks long before they get anywhere near the lodge. I think it would be kind of cool to have a large tunnel network

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well I did my civic duty for murderfort. I murdered a guy who was climbing over the back wall. His name was brokelex or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Right now, its playable, but what I really would like to see is

-more difficult zombies. It would make some of the other modes a bit more fun and I don't like that they become push overs if you simply place torches around you.
-Some kind of counter to simply just building underground bases
-Make items respawn after a certain period of time
-I may get flak for this, but I really don't like the new crafting system. Its just kind of confusing and it seems like a lot of work even if it is to craft something simple like a pistol.

Yeah I know its an alpha, but just discussing some things that I think would make the game more enjoyable for me.

Also, I decreased the music volume because the sound of wind rushing was getting on my nerves.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

Has anyone else felt like the zombies are just not that threatening? I mean after a time you can build up a base and just farm the zombies that come through. I've only played for a few hours though. Do the zombie spawns increase as the time goes on day wise? Like on day 7 is it just completely nuts?

Then again my entire expeirence has been one with tons of weapons and ammo I found off some dead zombies early on.

They are slow in the daytime which is fine, but at night they become a bit more deadly, especially if you don't have a gun. But the biggest thing I think they need to change is the fact that they slow down in any kind of light at all. Torches should not slow zombies down. Only the sun should.

There is that and the fact that you can pretty much zombie proof stuff currently due to how dumb the AI is. But I guess over time they will add to the deadliness and lethality of the zombies, because The PVP in this game honestly isn't that great

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the mines are funny, but I don't mind a reset either. That way we can make a goon fort made out of nothing but mines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I probably should start playing this again. I really do like it. But it kind of sucks when you don't

1) have a goal in mind, such as building a murderfort
2) the world has been picked clean by everyone
3) people aren't online

Also, I think the server is down.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Renditious posted:

Not sure how much there is to reclaim anymore, what with everything being reduced to a nuked out crater. I don't mind buildings being destroyed as part of players fighting and destroying each others bases, but hackers flying around and shooting infinite rocket launchers kind of gets old after a while.

Yeah, was playing earlier and respawned in Goonbase. Bad news is that the lodge was completely destroyed. Good News was that the Tower to the Gods was still standing. But every building that I came across was blown apart and pretty much torn down.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Splode posted:

I'm beginning to wish I'd purchased rust instead.
The devs don't seem to realise hacking prevention and good banning systems are more important than a bloody smelting feature.
I've completely lost interest as most servers aren't pvp, which isn't remotely interesting, and the few pvp servers are full of hackers anyway.

There are quite a few hackers in rust too. Also, yeah, this game really doesn't seem like it was made for PvP.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 11, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I feel burned on every Early Access title I have bought. Although out of all of them, I think I enjoyed this one the most. Its fun when goons are online and you can actually find them in game, but the mechanics make it so that it kind of gets difficult to find anyone else since I think if you die without a bed down, it just respawns you as far away from other people as possible unless Friendly fire is off.

Maybe we simply need to schedule a time when everyone gets online.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Alpha 7 is out!

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-7-is-out/

New stealth system and changed respawn are some of the things in the update.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Not sure if I want another game just like dayz and rust. Ill probably only play on servers where you don't drop everything on death.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Archonex posted:

Rust can't even decide what game it wants to be, since they keep removing features that had people buying the drat game.

7 Days is trying to be a legit zombie sim with minecraft elements and all the neat stuff DayZ has. And they update the thing extremely often when compared to your average early access game.

It's also been technically feature complete (in that you can play it and not have any missing crucial gameplay elements) since the version of the game when I made the OP. And they just keep developing it and adding more neat stuff to it every update, even though they haven't hit a 1.0 release yet. Which is a far cry from the performance of its competition.

I obviously stopped hosting awhile back since I couldn't afford the time to watch the server to deal with hackers. Between the issues I had with Steam screwing up my install and that I figured it'd be better to see if someone else would take over.

But if duping is fixed it would probably be worth it to put up the 24/7 goon server again. That thing was a hilarious honey trap for dozens upon dozens of pubbies before. And now that full item drops on death are in, goons ought to have plenty of opportunities to hunt the most dangerous game. :unsmigghh:

I would appreciate it, since I only really played on your server. Although, I can't say I am liking some of the changes. The stealth system is pretty cool, but the decision to make it take that long to search a car is questionable. Also, I dislike that they weakened the punch for destroying Terrain. I think it is getting to the point where it is getting really hard to start off. I can at least say that with rust, with a few resource nodes, you can be capable of at the very least defending yourself against the environment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Apparently, there was already a patch.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-7-1-patch-is-out/

Adds a bit more options for customization

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

We had one, but I think Archonex is just really busy right now. The good news is that you can probably easily just find a server and jump on. I would love to play with goons again. The game is actually started to look good. The shadows make it look much better.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

New patch is out.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-7-2-patch-is-out/

I guess I am the only one that is still interested. I will probably stop posting updates about the game, but I think the changes they made with Alpha 7 has increased the playability quite a bit. The stealth system adds quite a bit.

Speaking of which, what does everyone try to do when they start out?

I usually try to make a stone axe and gather as much scrap iron as I can. I usually die before I can build a house though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

simosimo posted:

So is the development cycle of this pretty much going to be:

changelog:
made previously simple task, extremely convoluted?

Probably. I think i complained a while back that making something like a pistol was pretty confusing to the point where I have to use a wiki and hope that I can find the necessary components.

The forging aspect to this game is sort of a mess. Then again, I think this started with the update that individualized bullets and allowed you to breakdown most weapons.

I think that and the fact that you can't make the night time shorter than the day time are the game's biggest flaws, at least single player wise.

Skandranon posted:

I wouldn't mind hosting a server to play on, this would be much more fun with some people to play with. But it would have to be a completely private server as I don't want to be dealing with hackers flying around and nuking everything. So no pubbie tears to drink. Also, I don't know if my upstream would be sufficient for more than 2-3 players, but if you guys want to do it I'll give it a shot.

I was actually thinking about renting a server. However, I know nothing about renting or running servers, so I am kind of hesitant.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 5, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I'm still interested, and check in here for when you talk about updates / talk about your server. I think the game while a bit complex, is just going through it's growing pangs. They have a ton of new systems they want to add, and it's not meshing well with the recipes already there. People can always mod the recipes back to what they were it's a simple config option.

I think once the game goes out of Alpha and into Beta, that's when we'll see a lot of the improvements to the core gameplay. (Balancing, Better Recipes, poo poo like that.) They are moving at a very fast pace, and it kind of makes me sad to see the negative attention they're getting for basically being an Alpha.

Well, I don't have a server yet. Archonex was the one that had the server. But I don't feel too bad for them. I think I paid over $30 for their early access and it was something that simply got cheaper over time. I am not mad or bitter since I think the game in its current state is really close to where I want it. But I won't defend their practices either since I think a game being an alpha does not shield it from criticism.

Malek posted:

Rock -> Stone -> Small Rock -> Flat headed stone -> Flat headed stone with sharpened front -> Flat headed stone with sharpened front and grip to put ties through -> STONE AXE!

Should I spoiler tag this since it's possibly going to be in a future update?

This has to be you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

oldskool posted:

We can't harvest pub tears because there's either no penalty for dying, or the penalty is so severe we can't build up enough of a force to cause it without being victimized by it first.

I would say that just dying in the first place is a good enough penalty. People still get pissed when you kill them and they have absolutely nothing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Skandranon posted:

I think this is one of the problems the devs have. They have a lot of good ideas, but they don't seem to take into account how they actually make the game fun. Take how the rocks work. Why do I need to keep track of rocks 0-5? No one cares about the shape of the rock if they put it back down, but it causes a huge amount of 'inventory tetris' to simply pick up rocks from the ground.

This is the problem that a lot of Early access games have where the developers get so caught up with implementing weird esoteric stuff that they ignore how fun it actually is.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Skandranon posted:

Another update, some quick highlights :
- more game setting options (length of nighttime, brick durability)
- stink lines on minimap showing smell radius
- leather and armor recipes
- character screen for equipping armor and such
- eating raw meat/eggs can make you sick

I think the game is really coming along, they've clearly been busy and are now releasing them.

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-7-3-is-here/

I would agree. The only thing I have a problem with now is that searching for anything online on servers are barren wastelands. There needs to be something that replenishes some stock in containers. I was trying to play the other night and got pretty annoyed that I couldn't find any jars to hold water with because for some reason, when you drink water, you eat the jar too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

E-Tank posted:

Everybody knows that Glass is full of the vitamins you need.

Yeah, Replenishing containers would be cool. Though I think that's going to be fixed when they have randomly generated maps ala minecraft. Can't find anything? Just keep moving north/south/east/west/wherever. And you'd have to ensure that you code player placed things to not grow items overnight that eat your storage.

Edit: Checked out the armor, seems pretty interesting. Also found a mining helmet with a flashlight built in.

I found the mining helmet, but not the armor. As of now, I don't think Torches affect Zombie running speed and I am not sure if I think it is for the best or not. The stealth system adds quite a bit and takes away some of the annoyances of being out at night. Plus last time I hid in the attic of a house, not a single zombie messed with me

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I don't think duping is still an issue. I haven't seen many hackers but I am sure they are still around. We used to use the Rust mumble when we had a server. But the guy who used to run the server got busy with other stuff in life so there currently isn't a goon server to use.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Malek posted:

They'll change this later for realism realizing that most people have anal muscles and can usually prevent such...

"Press S to clench!"

... and this just turned into the South Park game.

Sometimes you just can't clench it. But yeah, I think it is a silly thing to add at this stage in development.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Archonex posted:

Aside from all the other issues that i've fixed, the fan on my graphics card appears to want to spin at 5000RPM constantly. This is causing all sorts of horrible noise issues and possibly wearing the fan out if I let it go for too long. It's sounds like there's a loving wood chipper running in the room. :stonk:

So yeah, I have some issues with hosting still, but i'll chance it. Server should be up at the old address once I get done updating the game and resetting the file with the server hosting details.

I eagerly look forward to assassinating pubbies by proxy by sneaking up on them and farting, alerting every nearby horde.

Edit: If there's a way to get food to rot then we need to cultivate some sort of method that will let us mass produce fart-bombs for everyone to use at will. Murderchurch may need an extension containing a garden of rotten meat. :v:

I think you just have to eat raw meat. So just get like those big slabs of venison and eat them raw.

Edit: I don't think you actually fart :smith:. You just hear your stomach grumbling and you can see the stink lines on the map.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im guessing it is not just me, but my FPS seems to tank pretty easily while playing this.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I just tested it and sound comes both from the launcher and the actual explosion. But the explosion sound is indeed bigger.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The more and more I think about what the devs have planned, the more and more I think that PvP doesn't really fit.

The PvP as it stands now is pretty sloppy. I believe the devs want to implement a XP system and most of the weapons are simply melee weapons and bullets after a while are in short supply.

Turtlicious posted:

I see the mumble info at the top, did Archonex start his server?

Yes. I think the info is in like the 2nd or 4th post. Speaking of which, the OP probably should be updated. I would be happy to do it when I get some free time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

We also need to play more air filter landmine hopscotch

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Archonex posted:

They appear to have done a pretty huge graphical update recently. Maybe it's just my new laptop, but the forests look like something out of Slender at night now.

I think it is the shadows that make it look that way. The shadows make the game look amazing. But I think it is the zombies that is causing my frame rate to dip. I might eventually have to stop playing cause it is kind of aggravating.

It would probably be more bearable if I knew that everyone was getting these frame rate dips.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I actually kind of miss Murder City... When we set up around Rainer and stayed there until Hackers took over.

Edit: HOLY poo poo! It runs a whole lot smoother now. This was the 3rd Early Access game I picked up and so far this has been the only one worth buying to me due to the frequent updates.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 20, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So far, my biggest problem with it is that nothing on the maps are replenished. I guess they want you to craft, but I think the crafting system is becoming bloated to DayZ sperg levels. It is fine for Single player, but on the multiplayer side, by the time you join, everything is picked clean.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So what server is most people playing on? The goon community is pretty small to the point where I would rather go with whichever has more people.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

More updates on the way, including the one I want the most: Respawning stuff.

quote:

in the upcoming weeks were working on many great new features including: a new land claim protection system, respawning loot game options, improved backpack organization, a new 44 Magnum, critical hit damage and infection debuffs and much, much more!

I know people really like the crafting system, but I think it is one of the most obtuse and clunky things that I have messed with.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I guess the devs added a bunch of stuff that broke some things, because I am getting some crippling frame rate drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Where is murderchurch at anyways?