Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

Sure thing, I'll add you as a friend, then add to clan and you should get something asking to accept.
E: make sure you're on the U.S. server (if you're in US). It can be set on the forums if you haven't already made a forum account.
Hah I guess adding friends is broken and they need to talk in general chat so they can be added

I have no idea how to make a forum account on their site. I'm US, though. I tried using the name I have in-game, that I got automatically when joining via steam. I never set up a username or password for the site though. Guess I have to use a different name and link the accounts? I don't really know. It's not fleshed out anywhere that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

vandalism posted:

I have no idea how to make a forum account on their site. I'm US, though. I tried using the name I have in-game, that I got automatically when joining via steam. I never set up a username or password for the site though. Guess I have to use a different name and link the accounts? I don't really know. It's not fleshed out anywhere that I've seen.

https://na.survarium.com/forum/na-en/

From this site, the 'registration' button at the top right.
There is no reason that your Survarium log-in info should not work there, if you already have a survarium account, as they are the one and same.

I would suggest that you make a new account through their site, and use it to replace (import) the one on Steam - unless steam includes purchase bonuses. I am not certain then.

Seems I cannot read - perhaps contact support if your steam default account is the one that you expect to use for their forums.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Do weapons other than the SMG become useful? Right now it's like tying one hand behind your back if you play with anything else.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tanreall posted:

Do weapons other than the SMG become useful? Right now it's like tying one hand behind your back if you play with anything else.

The shotgun sucks, but you can one-shot people pretty far out with the Mosin, at least on the beginning levels. You just need to have good/quick aim. Most of the stuff gets deprecated pretty quick in the beginning, though.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I find Assault Rifles rather useful in the more open maps, you can still spray with them at close range and can accuratly fire at people over long distance if you switch them to semi-auto or squeeze out single shots. The shotguns are pretty decent for videogame shotguns but outside of close combat they often need two or more hits to take someone down, which often leads to you ending up on the losing sight of a firefight against someone with an automatic weapon... double barreled shotguns are somewhat of an exception to that, they have a suprising good range and can punch people really hard if you care to aim them carefully.

Semi-auto rifles I find useful in general, both the SKS and the drop-only M14 SOCOM are solid choices for all ranges thanks to high damage and ok-ish controllability/kick, I also find the leather-action winchester to be a suprisingly effective gun as it has low recoil, good accuracy and high damage combined with open sights.

But in entry-level matches the PPSH-41 is the top choice, the Mosin Nagant can be great in some maps but more often than not the PPSH-41 will get someone to panic and miss his Nagant shots even if he's outside of effective range.

e: Downloading the steam client atm, I sincerly hope I can just log in with my old account user/pass. Some titles have the weird idea that you can't have account sharing between your non-steam and steam instance of a game, hope this isn't one of them.

You can transfer your old non-steam account. :unsmith:

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 3, 2015

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Naturally Selected posted:

The shotgun sucks, but you can one-shot people pretty far out with the Mosin, at least on the beginning levels. You just need to have good/quick aim. Most of the stuff gets deprecated pretty quick in the beginning, though.

I really wish this game had a mosin

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The Mosin Nagant is one of the starter weapons, and while it's not great in actual starter matches (the PPSH-41 is just to easy to use against unarmored enemies), it actually stays viable in higher games where it still can kill dudes pretty good. Certainly a cheap marksman rifle stand-in weapon.

Never sold mine after upgrading it to max rarity. It's just too beautiful to leave if behind in the zone. :unsmith:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So this is f2p on steam now? I just noticed it. I will download it now.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

To all of you newcomers or returning sweatermen, you can find me here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

And the steam group here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sweatermen

Anyone in the group can invite you to same!

In-game I go by DarkDobe (unsurprisingly) so you can add me there as well!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
There's some buggy crap going on with friends right now - if you're a new player or are new to the U.S. server (so everyone who switched), it won't let you search for people using the search bar in friends tab. You have to add them through chat. It eventually goes away, but for the next couple days it may be impossible to get all the SA peeps together unless we're on at same time and in chat together. It went away for me after a day, but I still can't search for Space Ham.

Had an admin say there was no bug, even though I literally presented him with direct evidence and had another player do the same. These guys really have their head up their own asses, this game is bug free and perfect according to them...

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
people who use snipers are the hemorrhoids on the distended rear end in a top hat of survarium

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I bought the Ultimate steam pack for $20.

It gave me the $50 pack immediately, then today I logged back in and now I also have the $20 pack I originally bought :psyduck:

Guess that makes up for my 1000gold I bought like 5 months ago evaporating into the ether

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Bolow posted:

I bought the Ultimate steam pack for $20.

It gave me the $50 pack immediately, then today I logged back in and now I also have the $20 pack I originally bought :psyduck:

Guess that makes up for my 1000gold I bought like 5 months ago evaporating into the ether

Tell me how you did this, I also want to aquire a lot more than I pay for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DarkDobe posted:

To all of you newcomers or returning sweatermen, you can find me here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

And the steam group here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sweatermen

Anyone in the group can invite you to same!

In-game I go by DarkDobe (unsurprisingly) so you can add me there as well!

My in game name is Jack B Nimble, I'd appreciate an invite. I also added you on steam because I wasn't sure what to do, just ignore it if you want.

I'm mostly waiting for the non death match game but I don't currently have a realistic shooter to play so getting good at the game in this version of the beta is fine by me.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Robot Randy posted:

people who use snipers are the hemorrhoids on the distended rear end in a top hat of survarium

I'm a sniper, and I have to agree. There's way too much camping in base, terrified of getting shot. Or guys that never once go for an objective, don't provide cover fire, and tend to die twice as often as they kill.

That's why being a countersniper is so satisfying :cool:. They're the easiest to pick off, and it frees up my team to take alternate routes.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Gasmask posted:

I'm a sniper, and I have to agree. There's way too much camping in base, terrified of getting shot. Or guys that never once go for an objective, don't provide cover fire, and tend to die twice as often as they kill.

That's why being a countersniper is so satisfying :cool:. They're the easiest to pick off, and it frees up my team to take alternate routes.

Alternatively do as I did - make a run-speed build, and bomb around the map with smoke grenades and an SR-2M. Then you can absolutely lay waste to stupid snipers (and everyone else) by being everywhere at once.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I just got the ability to queue into the defense (?) game type, the first alternative you unlock from death matching. No one plays it? In death match I get a game up almost immediately, but I waited 10 minutes and never found a match in this new game mode. Do people play nothing but death match?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just got the ability to queue into the defense (?) game type, the first alternative you unlock from death matching. No one plays it? In death match I get a game up almost immediately, but I waited 10 minutes and never found a match in this new game mode. Do people play nothing but death match?

Lower item-level players, which is the vast majority of players now, are queued into DM.
Hence, anyone trying to play anything else has to wait for enough players to make a match. It will be far quicker to find DM games for the next few days than any other mode.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hopefully VG will realize that locking new players to TDM for 10 matches was a terrible idea. What happens is even at higher levels they don't realize they can check the different modes, so they're only doing TDM forever and ever. I love research and even have a blast with both battery modes, so I'm in the same boat waiting for people to figure out that the game isn't just TDM.

Now that DarkDobe is back in clan and can recruit, anyone that wants in on the clan can go to either of us. I still can't find you or Space Ham so I think it's taking forever to propagate through the servers, but with DarkDobe's Sweatermans group we can coordinate playing that way.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think I read somewhere that clans and players are now restricted to their regions. i.e. A euro player can't friend an NA player, which is kinda dumb but oh well. Maybe it's a good idea to make one goon clan NA and the other euro?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jehde posted:

I think I read somewhere that clans and players are now restricted to their regions. i.e. A euro player can't friend an NA player, which is kinda dumb but oh well. Maybe it's a good idea to make one goon clan NA and the other euro?

So far as I know you can friend and clan, but you will be forced to play on the clan's region?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

So far as I know you can friend and clan, but you will be forced to play on the clan's region?

I think this is how it works - if someone wanted to join CoS, they'd have to play on the US servers. As ping makes a huuuuuge difference in this game, I'd recommend non-US goons to make their own clan.

E: There's a clan match game mode, I have no idea if it lets cross-server clans play against each other, but if so and there's an EU goon clan we could scrim occasionally.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I also made a clan, and we're at 3/5 so if you want in shoot Robot Randy IG a message

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The loving Kiparis is goddamn bullshit and makes me agitated about video games

Also I'm so loving indecisive on picking Fringe or Renaissance Army

Bolow fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 4, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Bolow posted:

Freedom or Duty, accuracy and environmental protection vs firepower and armour. The choice is obvious for me. :420:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Bolow posted:

The loving Kiparis is goddamn bullshit and makes me agitated about video games

If you get a little extra silver, try to mod to an orange Kip with +25 distance, faster fire speed and higher armor piercing (distance as #1). There's a damage falloff, and extending max distance extends that. For example, something with 100m distance will do full damage within that range, and every meter after will drop of a bit. Getting it to 125m makes a huge difference, and for example on my Remington 700 it means I can get OHK on some seriously long range shots (depending on armor of course). Even 40m to 50m distance will be noticeable.

The Kip is definitely OP though. I can use it comfortably up to around lvl 8 thanks to predictable recoil and decent RoF. When doing an equip lvl 5 profile it's a killing machine, often taking priority to whatever rifle I've chosen for primary slot.

E: Once you get the PP2000, try using that for a while. It's one of the most accurate SMGs in the game with very little recoil, and on a map like Cologne will have no problem hitting a guy camping their spawn from right in front of yours. Some people will find the SR2M or MP5 more to their liking, but I think the PP2000 is the best of the lot.
Note: I haven't gone beyond lvl10 gear for the most part, so I have no comment on the higher level SMGs.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 4, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The Gasmask posted:

If you get a little extra silver, try to mod to an orange Kip with +25 distance, faster fire speed and higher armor piercing (distance as #1). There's a damage falloff, and extending max distance extends that. For example, something with 100m distance will do full damage within that range, and every meter after will drop of a bit. Getting it to 125m makes a huge difference, and for example on my Remington 700 it means I can get OHK on some seriously long range shots (depending on armor of course). Even 40m to 50m distance will be noticeable.

The Kip is definitely OP though. I can use it comfortably up to around lvl 8 thanks to predictable recoil and decent RoF. When doing an equip lvl 5 profile it's a killing machine, often taking priority to whatever rifle I've chosen for primary slot.

E: Once you get the PP2000, try using that for a while. It's one of the most accurate SMGs in the game with very little recoil, and on a map like Cologne will have no problem hitting a guy camping their spawn from right in front of yours. Some people will find the SR2M or MP5 more to their liking, but I think the PP2000 is the best of the lot.
Note: I haven't gone beyond lvl10 gear for the most part, so I have no comment on the higher level SMGs.

The SR2M remains one of the best even in end-game, solely for having such an insane fire-rate, which can chew through armor and land headshots by pure volume of fire.

The SR3M is a very competitive upgrade, though it must be found with some luck.

So far as the armies go: I highly suggest that you level them both to five, especially so that you level Renaissance Army to rank 5 - as it offers the most well-rounded upgrades available for relatively little investment.
Then, after getting Fringe to 5, you can usually decide which style you like and stick to it for the long, arduous haul.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The SR3M is pretty different from the SR2M, it's one of the many 9x39 assault rifles in the game and handles pretty much like all of them in terms of recoil, spread, etc. It's not quiet as accurate as some and kicks a bit more but has a gigantic 30rnd mag to compensate for that, the higher fire-rate is actually one of its drawbacks in most situations. If you think the SR3M is a good upgrade to the SR2M you should give all the other 9x39 rifles a try. Especially the AS VAL is easy to keep on target, even on longer ranges, and comes with a silencer (like all 9x39 rifles with the exception of the SR3M).

Still using the SR3M in my assault loadout slot, cause I'm often terrible at aiming and will waste half a mag on the map geometry around the enemy while i scream 'crap, crap, crap' and fumble my mouse; so those 10 rounds extra are super handy and the reason I used traditional ARs over the 9x39 rifles before looting me a SR-3M.

e: Wait... there is an MP5 now? Is that also a rare drop? I've not seen one yet but I'd love to get my hands on some over-engineered german submachinegun tech.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 5, 2015

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Feindfeuer posted:

The SR3M is pretty different from the SR2M, it's one of the many 9x39 assault rifles in the game and handles pretty much like all of them in terms of recoil, spread, etc. It's not quiet as accurate as some and kicks a bit more but has a gigantic 30rnd mag to compensate for that, the higher fire-rate is actually one of its drawbacks in most situations. If you think the SR3M is a good upgrade to the SR2M you should give all the other 9x39 rifles a try. Especially the AS VAL is easy to keep on target, even on longer ranges, and comes with a silencer (like all 9x39 rifles with the exception of the SR3M).

Still using the SR3M in my assault loadout slot, cause I'm often terrible at aiming and will waste half a mag on the map geometry around the enemy while i scream 'crap, crap, crap' and fumble my mouse; so those 10 rounds extra are super handy and the reason I used traditional ARs over the 9x39 rifles before looting me a SR-3M.

e: Wait... there is an MP5 now? Is that also a rare drop? I've not seen one yet but I'd love to get my hands on some over-engineered german submachinegun tech.

The SR3M is hyper light and compact compared to the other AR's, which for runspeed loadouts is an enormous advantage.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I guess, I always just shoot people because I'm terrible. As long as I'm not sluggishly slow I'm a happy, stalking Sweaterman. :unsmith:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

Wait... there is an MP5 now? Is that also a rare drop? I've not seen one yet but I'd love to get my hands on some over-engineered german submachinegun tech.

I'm an idiot, I meant UMP45. Wasn't in game, never really use it, just had a vague recollection of the shape of the gun and thought "oh, MP5!". Though I guess as the UMP45 was the evolution of the MP5 it works, kinda?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I want to correct one point for leveling:

Start by picking Svavengers (hit and run) or Black Market (beefcakes) and leveling that faction to full.
Then do the other.

This will give you a solid baseline for equipment, especially deployables.

At this point, I -highly- recommend leveling Renaissance to Sergeant (third rank).
The third rank of Ren Army offers some of the best all-around equipment in the game (the Sokol body armor, pants, etc).

Then, if you prefered Scavenger items earlier, switch to Fringe Settlers and level that.
If instead you find you like being survivable versus more mobile and toxin-resilient, stay with the Ren Army and see it through.

The leveling is a massive slog, but this only really becomes apparent past rank 10 in each.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Scavengers first is absolutely the way to go right now because the loving Kiparis is disgustingly good and the Scavenger Chest/Legs give you extra ammo which is pretty goddamn important

EDIT: Also bandages, and medkits and a whole host of other poo poo. The only thing the blackmarket really has is the AKS74U at the end of the tree and the rest of their weapons are kind of poo poo

Bolow fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 5, 2015

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I grinded both them because that was the only way to also get access to the munition those guns use, so if you were to loot some guns you'd be stuck with an unusuble gun otherwise. I'm glad they changed that and made ammo supply independent of the factions.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I went Bandits then Scavengers because I wanted that sweet, sweet sawed off and Winchester 30-30. Then I went back and forth between Fringe and Renaissance until I unlocked the SKS and AK respectively. Ever since it's been Fringe all the way.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

The SKS is awesome and one of the few weapons I had to actually buy and didn't get to loot. :smith:

Also about the SR-3M, just checked the weight of the other 9x39 to see how much it really matters. the 9A-91 is actually 0.4kg lighter, weighting only 1.8kg and the AS-VAL only weights 0.3kg more. The only one that is really much heavier is the VSK-94 with a hefty 0.8kg more, but it also comes with a scope and is more of a DMR/AR mix.

Do those sub 1kg changes really make a difference if you travel light anyway amd got the Athlete skill maxed out? Really want to know, because while I just gently caress around now I might be interested in actually getting good at the game in some point in the future.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Feindfeuer posted:

The SKS is awesome and one of the few weapons I had to actually buy and didn't get to loot. :smith:

Also about the SR-3M, just checked the weight of the other 9x39 to see how much it really matters. the 9A-91 is actually 0.4kg lighter, weighting only 1.8kg and the AS-VAL only weights 0.3kg more. The only one that is really much heavier is the VSK-94 with a hefty 0.8kg more, but it also comes with a scope and is more of a DMR/AR mix.

Do those sub 1kg changes really make a difference if you travel light anyway amd got the Athlete skill maxed out? Really want to know, because while I just gently caress around now I might be interested in actually getting good at the game in some point in the future.

To the best of my knowledge the biggest breakpoint is 20 KG

That said - even a .3 difference is one big medi-kit, or a grenade, so it can add up when you are trying to scrape by.

I've rolled -15% weight on every relevant piece of kit, and 5% movespeed on those applicable (armor, pants, boots). The rest is fluff, at that point, short of mass silver/gold investment hunting for perfect item brews.

Of note: It is impossible to roll a bonus stat on an item that already has it built-in, for example you cannot roll movespeed on boots that already include the 2% movespeed buff.

The handy guide and chart of possible rolls can be found here:

https://support.survarium.com/index.php?/en/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/0/modification-of-items

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

Of note: It is impossible to roll a bonus stat on an item that already has it built-in, for example you cannot roll movespeed on boots that already include the 2% movespeed buff.

The handy guide and chart of possible rolls can be found here:

https://support.survarium.com/index.php?/en/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/0/modification-of-items

That's quiet the helpful piece of info. So the Athlete just allows you to carry more but still slows you down in the process, just without making you unable to run, like when you're over your weight limit?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Well now I feel silly as poo poo trying to roll my chest and legs to carry extra ammo since apparently that is strictly a baseline modification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Huh, that's super useful to know. I'd been trying to get additional move speed on some items that already had it.

Finally got a research match again last night, first since Steam. Looks like people are hitting lvls 4-6 now, and I've been able to find games in that block under a minute now. I'm not sure where the level dropoff is since I'd already gotten to lvl10 on both Fringe and Army before the rep change, but it may be quite a while before the majority have leveled up that much.

• Locked thread