Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

you can use fungus darktorches though!
e: haven't verified this but it seems to be so

this definitely works, and you don't need to give a poo poo about efficiency because you can claim so much space to grow fungus on (aside from bug infestation risk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Clicking with the Growing zone tool on an already set zone select it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh God I miss Pharmacist so bad if i see one more pawn using glitterworld medicine for a single bruise a whole lot of people are going to start losing spine privileges

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do I get anima grass to grow? I'm playing on arid shrubland start and the anima tree is mostly surrounded by sand if that matters

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

How do I get anima grass to grow? I'm playing on arid shrubland start and the anima tree is mostly surrounded by sand if that matters

Schedule Natural-focus pawn meditation within range of the tree.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

double post

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's a product of people meditating to it, and I'm pretty sure it's OK if they're not actually tribal origin - the human won't get focus recovery out of it but the tree accepts their love anyway

place mediation spots within a few tiles of the anima tree, you'll see a link line and pawns will just go do it when it's meditation time

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, what are people's consensus on the new expansion? Royalty seemed kind of neat but not really something I was interested in, but Psychology appears to bring more core functionality to the game, so I'm interested.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Danaru posted:

Oh God I miss Pharmacist so bad if i see one more pawn using glitterworld medicine for a single bruise a whole lot of people are going to start losing spine privileges

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2558369439

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The only reason Im playing with Royalty is because I want my cybernetic weedlords to have more body modification options

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh god thank you, Fluffy Breakdowns I can deal with waiting for, but micromanaging medicine is hell

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I want to make a bait room for infestations, what size should I be looking at? I'm planning a setup where the room's walls are plasteel reinforced concrete, and they're lined with helixen gas vents. Once the creeps come out they get fumigated like the overgrown bed bugs they are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A fine idea only slightly impeded by the fact that bugs are immune to toxins :v:

(I am vety annoyed about that because there is very little reason for it to be so in vanilla, but it plays merry hell with things like the gas vent or tear gas crowd control ideas you might have when modded)

Helixien is highly flammable though if i remember right so you might still want to have some vents in there so you can cook them, though you run the risk of cooking your whole base in the process of course.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
God

Dammit :cripes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

God

Dammit :cripes:

I found out (likely for the umpteenth time because I'm sure I've tried it before) when I got a tear gas launcher and thought it would be super useful for use on bugs, when in fact I used it and it just made them harder to shoot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The only reason Im playing with Royalty is because I want my cybernetic weedlords to have more body modification options

This, the new armor, and new melee weapons options are most of why I like Royalty. IMO Royalty was okay but Ideology is pretty amazing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ZearothK posted:

So, what are people's consensus on the new expansion? Royalty seemed kind of neat but not really something I was interested in, but Psychology appears to bring more core functionality to the game, so I'm interested.

Ideology makes Rimworld into a much bigger-picture game, it adds a really huge amount of depth and replay value. Royalty was really ehhh psychic talents, ok whatever - this expansion adds So Much poo poo :supaburn:

so, here's the fibercorn farm lit by fungus darklight torches, they're growing at 28% which is fine :shrug:
in theory they'll be up in about 19 days

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

OwlFancier posted:

A fine idea only slightly impeded by the fact that bugs are immune to toxins :v:

(I am vety annoyed about that because there is very little reason for it to be so in vanilla, but it plays merry hell with things like the gas vent or tear gas crowd control ideas you might have when modded)

Helixien is highly flammable though if i remember right so you might still want to have some vents in there so you can cook them, though you run the risk of cooking your whole base in the process of course.

I'm guessing bugs are immune to toxins so you can't get a lucky Toxic Fallout event to wipe out an infestation for you. Assuming you have an infestation on the other side of the map that you've been ignoring and not inside your base, anyways.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Danaru posted:

Thank you for the guffaw.

Whenever I lay my hands on glitterworld medicine, I forbid it as soon as it goes into storage; I unforbid it only when everybody's about to die.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

why don't you just set the type of medicine they're allowed to use?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jose posted:

Stupid question but how do I select a single growing zone when I have lots near each other? Every time I double click to get past the plant it selects all zones on screen

If you click and drag over the grow zone it should select the zone. Another option is when you click on the plant on the window that tells you what you clicked on you'll see like 2 down arrows overlapping one another, clicking that will change your focus on whatever else is on that same tile. Useful for other things like clicking a pawn under an item.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pharmacist actually makes medicine management completely automatic - you can set maximum medicine qualities not only per character type (colonist, prisoner, etc.) but also per procedure (minor wound, major wound, surgery, etc.) and then forget about it forever.

So no micromanaging settings, no forbidding. You can set your colonists to use herbal medicine for minor injuries, standard medicine for major injuries, and Glitterworld Medicine for life-threatening injuries and surgery. And make it so the good stuff is never used on prisoners. It works perfectly and medicine doesn't go missing because it's used for something stupid.

I think it still takes into account the standard maximum settings, so you can set colonists you don't care as much about specifically to not use Glitterworld Medicine no matter what, either.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yep, even if you have surgeries set to use glitterworld meds, if the pawn is limited to herbal stuff they'll only get herbal stuff :toot: It's such a good "install and forget" QOL enhancement

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

why don't you just set the type of medicine they're allowed to use?

because doing that to prevent people from using glitterworld medicine to heal social fight injuries is a pita

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

no I understand the appeal of Pharmacy, that was directed at the person forbidding glitterworld medicine stacks individually

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The empire came to visit so I designated the area they were hanging out as the zone for my ~100 boom rats and then had my colonists open fire on the crowd. Now I have fewer boomrats and less imperials, win win.

Empire still hasn’t raided me however.

I think I’m going to start moving to some sea ice base where nothing can survive outside so I will longer deal with putting out random fires figurative and literal and just turn it into a factory of high end weapons and detention camp/training center. Get an inexhaustible supply of pawns to go off and fight the empire and I can stop worrying about random bullshit or infestations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The empire came to visit so I designated the area they were hanging out as the zone for my ~100 boom rats and then had my colonists open fire on the crowd. Now I have fewer boomrats and less imperials, win win.

I think I’m going to start moving to some sea ice base where nothing can survive outside so I will longer deal with putting out random fires figurative and literal and just turn it into a factory of high end weapons and detention camp/training center. Get an inexhaustible supply of pawns to go off and fight the empire and I can stop worrying about random bullshit or infestations.

I hope you enjoy mechanoid raids.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope Genetic Rim and Giddy-Up get updates soon.
I want to make a colony that worships giant rats.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

my record for centipedes in a raid was 40, acheived in high up tundra. got em w an antigrain mortar but lol

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
An imperial trader dropped by, and on their way out they decided to head past a nest of mechanoids that I need to deal with.
Be careful there, it'd be a shame if a mortar shell were to drop on them and wake up the nest!

oh nooooo :gibs:

e: Actually, I have been glad to have made good friends with the empire, because when a pack of 40 goddamn guinea pigs shows up I bring everyone inside and call a support strike to get mauled by a horde of rodents. 25 goodwill is so easy to repair with all the alpaca wool clothing I'm churning out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Complications posted:

I hope you enjoy mechanoid raids.

yeah what you want is desert/extreme desert, maybe with permanent heat wave/toxic fallout

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ideology feels like new game play where royalty felt like an expansion pack.

Anyways Ive now sheltered refugees like three times and I just put them to work haulin and cookin and my base has expanded so goddamn much before the first winter holy poo poo

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, even if you don’t have the food right at the moment to support the refugee group, if it’s big enough for that to be a concern there’s almost certainly 1-2 reasonably able farmer/foragers and at least one decent shot, if you have a captured bow or pistol you don’t mind possibly giving away.

So far I haven’t had unarmed refugees turn on me, only relatively small groups who came onto the map with their own weapons no matter how lovely. Super small sample size so don’t take it as a rule, but I’m interested to see if anyone has had unarmed refugees turn on them?

e: also, while I’m in the final push to get my five picked pawns for the archonexus restart all topped up with basic Bionics, about the time I sent my final caravan out to just buy whatever powered armor was on offer nearby, I got a guaranlen pod spawn inside my secure perimeter. I think I’m going to have someone tuck the seed in their pocket and see about messing with nymphs on the new tile, unless transhumanists get steamed about cavorting with aliens.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 28, 2021

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
How the gently caress do I grow fungus? I've put down the fungal gravel, got it dark and warm, but the only thing growing in there is infestations.

There's nothing when I make it a grow zone, and I can't find any missing research on it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kris xK posted:

How the gently caress do I grow fungus? I've put down the fungal gravel, got it dark and warm, but the only thing growing in there is infestations.

There's nothing when I make it a grow zone, and I can't find any missing research on it.

Nutrifungus should be one of the options when you create a grow zone, it has no tech prereqs or anything. If it's not there, you probably have a mod loving with you or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Do you need the tunneler meme to grow fungus? It's the only thing I can think of

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kris xK posted:

something is wrong then, because fungus is now available to everyone regardless of tech or ideology.
e: imo uncheck all your mods and start a new game and make sure whether this happens with your base install or not.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Danaru posted:

Do you need the tunneler meme to grow fungus? It's the only thing I can think of
I'm pretty sure that's a requirement yeah.

Technically I think it's the Fungus:Desired meme but right now that's tunneler only.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 28, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012

Danaru posted:

Tunneler unlocks fungal gravel so you can set up cave farms easily but fungus is a thing for everyone. Regular colonies might want to make use of it by setting up a roof over their farm, makes a good emergency option during toxic fallout or in permanent winter starts if you wall around a geyser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish having refugees gave you access to building their ideology images/statues. It kinda sucks that they get a permanent-ish -8 mood.