Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're a slightly odd mechanic now that there are ground based traders who will just buy anything lying around. They made more sense when space traders were the only kind so you had to haul stuff into specific stockpiles to be able to trade it, which makes sense as a mechanic.

It still sort of makes sense for that reason but I guess maybe it annoys some people? I find it dovetails quite nicely with storage mods though because it really encourages you to build proper warehouses and storage facilities with appropriate storage structures and beacon coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

they engender a logistics problem that otherwise wouldn't exist

I just plop like 4 of them in my storehouse and maybe one in my freezer and forget about them for the rest of my playthrough.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's also worth noting that it tells the game where your valuables are or are likely to be, which can be important for generating appropriate threats and targets for enemies, as well as designating where orbital deliveries should arrive.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I like the trade beacons because they help me keep the trade screen limited to stuff I want to sell. Because I only have them in the stockpile for goods I sell.

As opposed to the trade screen listing every single nicknack and dodad in the entire base. As if I wanted to sell off my 10 helmets/shirts/pants/vests/guns etc that each would now have their own row on the trade screen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The only problem I have with trade beacons is that a single open room sized to fit a whole trade beacon's area needs a support to fully enclose with a roof.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Will animals actually eat luci? I have seem them eat beer and smokeleaf poo poo but never any of my harder drugs I leave lying around

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What, you have never sicked coked out chickens on your enemies?

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
As ever, There Is A Mod For That.

Map Wide Orbital Trade Beacon

Kinetic Tools fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 3, 2020

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Telsa Cola posted:

Will animals actually eat luci? I have seem them eat beer and smokeleaf poo poo but never any of my harder drugs I leave lying around

On that note, I once nearly had several dogs die of alcohol poisoning because I had accidentally given them access to the storeroom that had all the beer in it. But how on earth did they open the bottles?!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I never got into pets because the mood bonus from food that contains meat doesn't really offset the huge amount of labor needed to manage animals..

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Animals are actually super convenient... but, yeah, with the big exception of ones specifically for slaughtering. That's just way too wasteful and time consuming for what you actually get in return even with the slaughtering buff to output. But livestock that lay eggs or give milk can basically convert crops into renewable meat substitutes (at a loss, but still handy for fine/lavish meals on more barren maps) and animals that can haul are an obvious godsend to a colony. Pack animals are handy too if you aren't using SRTS Expanded or a similar mod, but these days tynian has made it so "useful" pack animals tend to not produce other stuff so you really only need two or three tops.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

Animals will eat the first "edible" nearby thing when they are hungry, don't keep your beer, lucerfum, other drugs, and valuable food anywhere near they travel if you don't want them to eat it, which is why for most of my colonies I don't have animals. The general exception being that I need them for distraction/meatshields.

there are some very interesting animals in mods / boomalopes
horses are also great for caravans. have a few horses in one and you can go fast

that said if your colony is mature enough you really should be making kibble/hay and leaving animals in a pen. be thankful there's no animal poop to manage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I just use Hunt for Me, Kill for Me and Xenobionic Patcher to make my animals my cyborg army who gets all the colony's meat while the humans do boring stuff like farm and poo poo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Someone made a mod that uses the game's fermenting mechanic as a chicken coop that needs 5 fertilized chicken eggs to build (as well as other things), then your pawns dump in hay or kibble, and out come chicken eggs.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's already a mod for a barn that takes food to make meat and milk, it's probably been expanded to include chickens by now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Katt posted:

I used to tame grizzly bears and then inject them with lucifarium and drop pod them into tribal settlements.

I still think about this post once or twice a day.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I mean yeah if you inject them/use operations to get them addicted to poo poo I wouldn't be surprised if the AI let them eat the harder stuff.

I just havent seen them eat that poo poo normally despite me leaving it around so im questioning some peoples fears here.

If you give a bear luci and it goes rampaging through your luci stockpile I feel like thats on you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

animals that can haul are really useful, i keep a few donkeys around and they are constantly shuttling things around so that my humans don't have to. Way worth it in terms of labor, and I can sell them off if they breed too much. Plus they're helpful for bringing large amounts of trade goods to other settlements to be sold off

and then on top of that I'm on a map with elephants right now, and my main animal tamer has trained 2 of them into attack duty. They're super-heavy tanks. I had an infestation pop up near a narrow hallway and I just had the elephants block the hallway while all of my shooters stacked up behind them, like a living wall of meat and tusks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If there is a trade beacon in a room it should really designate the entire room for trade. Having to build multiple beacons for a single warehouse is pretty annoying, and god forbid you ever decide to expand its size.

The mod that lets beacons cover the entire map describe it as a "cheat". That just seems silly

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Trade beacons do have a minor resource cost and there are certain drop pod raids that will hone in on a powered trade beacon. It also serves as a lure in general for sappers.

If you ever watch someone try to play 'optimally' it involves having either 1 beacon you manually cart around when a trade ship comes and otherwise leave powered in your killbox or a powered one in your kill box with the rest having dead power supplies to switch to when a trader isn't around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zore posted:

Trade beacons do have a minor resource cost and there are certain drop pod raids that will hone in on a powered trade beacon. It also serves as a lure in general for sappers.

If you ever watch someone try to play 'optimally' it involves having either 1 beacon you manually cart around when a trade ship comes and otherwise leave powered in your killbox or a powered one in your kill box with the rest having dead power supplies to switch to when a trader isn't around.

That all seems cool and good but you could still have all of that if trade beacons filled in any room they're placed in

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

QuarkJets posted:

That all seems cool and good but you could still have all of that if trade beacons filled in any room they're placed in

Your gripe about trade beacon's being the 'worst mechanic ever' is just because you've had to install more than one in a room?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

There's already a mod for a barn that takes food to make meat and milk, it's probably been expanded to include chickens by now.

You happen to have a link for this one?

edit: was able to find the chicken coop one for those who are interested: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121917837&searchtext=coop

Largejaroalmonds fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 3, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

twice burned ice posted:

Your gripe about trade beacon's being the 'worst mechanic ever' is just because you've had to install more than one in a room?

Yes, I'm sorry if my use of hyperbole caused you any distress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the utility columns mod which combines a column, a light, and a trade beacon into one, so you just build the room bigger and add more roof supports and lights at the same time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Couple mods are starting to pop up with 1.2 tags. Guess there will be a big update soon?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Anno posted:

Couple mods are starting to pop up with 1.2 tags. Guess there will be a big update soon?

Yeah, 1.2's been in unstable for a few weeks. The biggest changes are massively expanding the utility item system so it isn't just shield belts. There's now stuff like jetpacks and some artifacts like the animal pulsar have been moved to that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Sounds like it's time to try to death spiral my colony before all my mods get obsoleted for a week?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Can you tick a box anywhere on Steam to indefinitely stop a game updating? I've not been back into the game again for that long and I really dont want to have to deal with an invalidated mod list again

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
So I've been getting back into this (last time I played was a super early alpha), and I feel like I'm moving extremely slow. Took me almost 2 years in-game time to finish battery research. Is there any where that lists some milestones I should be reaching, or does time not really matter? I guess people will eventually get old and die, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

So I've been getting back into this (last time I played was a super early alpha), and I feel like I'm moving extremely slow. Took me almost 2 years in-game time to finish battery research. Is there any where that lists some milestones I should be reaching, or does time not really matter? I guess people will eventually get old and die, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

Depending on Storyteller raid difficulty will scale super hard over time. Cassandra or Phoebe always have a soft time limit before they're throwing such incredibly bullshit raids at you that you end the game or lose.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

multijoe posted:

Can you tick a box anywhere on Steam to indefinitely stop a game updating? I've not been back into the game again for that long and I really dont want to have to deal with an invalidated mod list again

You can go back to old versions easily:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone try out project rimfactory? It adds some automation stuff and playing satisfactory has given me automation fever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Traxis posted:

You can go back to old versions easily:

Fantastic, thank you

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Check your work priorities. You really have to number them manually to get pawns operating anything close to efficiently. Research can be slow at first when your researcher is juggling multiple jobs in the early game, but 2 years for batteries is a bit much. They’re probably spending most of their day travelling to clean a far off bit of animal filth, having lunch, then doing 3 seconds of research before playing chess and heading to bed.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wish cables were fireproof and that they didn't set a 5x5 home area around themselves.

Would save me a lot of effort with pawns running around the map and repairing cables after a forest fire. Not to mention trying to put out every forest fire and running around cleaning the grass around cables in the wild.

Yeah you can unset the home area around them but then pawns will put it back when they repair broken cables.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You can also toggle the automatic home zoning off in the bottom right, where you can also toggle the fertility view and stuff.

I always manage the home zone manually.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Taeke posted:

You can also toggle the automatic home zoning off in the bottom right, where you can also toggle the fertility view and stuff.

I always manage the home zone manually.

What, you don't like suddenly seeing half your colonists die because they decided to run across the map and clean the rock rubble around that hive you built some IEDs near?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
New map, happy with the area, colonists are okay, get my first wooden structure down.

Flashstorm a few days after I finish it. Fire bits all the wood, stores, beds, etc I have. Burns my only medial colonist and needs rescue

Thanks Randy took me longer to pick the map and roll colonists then I played for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Roundboy posted:

New map, happy with the area, colonists are okay, get my first wooden structure down.

Flashstorm a few days after I finish it. Fire bits all the wood, stores, beds, etc I have. Burns my only medial colonist and needs rescue

Thanks Randy took me longer to pick the map and roll colonists then I played for

If you remember the seed, you can largely get that map back.

Also use Prepare Carefully mod and make it easier to save a set of colonists to pick from.