Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There's the auto-sort mod feature now, if you didn't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think i've got it down to a single pawnmorpher error which is a bit strange seeing as its actually been updated for 1.2

edit: can't get it to actually show me the globe after generating it though

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zore posted:

-Useful-

Piell posted:

-Also useful-

I'm just looking for some variety and to spice up the game, which both of your lists do. Thanks!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Carcer posted:

Quoting myself to confirm it was the Elder Things mod, for anyone else that isn't getting any quests and has it installed.

Can anyone recommend any good alien races? I can't find much on the steam workshop but I think I'm just crap at using the right search terms.

Thanks for finding this out. I've been having this issue since forever.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah the Rimworld Workshop modders seem to be extremely bad at using tags.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
god i really wish i would've been given access to the attacker instant death chance rather than the colonist instant death chance with this patch. that actually bugs me more than instant brain destruction just because at least instant brain destruction goes to how bad armor is for enemies, too.

i know there's a mod for that, but it would've been a lot better to just have it in vanilla.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Suggest it to Tynan, given all the other variables exposed in the storytellers this patch, that's kind of an obvious oversight, he might well put it in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

android tiers is very broken atm when i tried it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

god i really wish i would've been given access to the attacker instant death chance rather than the colonist instant death chance with this patch. that actually bugs me more than instant brain destruction just because at least instant brain destruction goes to how bad armor is for enemies, too.

i know there's a mod for that, but it would've been a lot better to just have it in vanilla.

Note that instant death prevention is actually a new feature, it probably only got implemented for colonists because that was the focus: to let players prevent their pawns from dying suddenly quite as often .

I think it'd be fun to be able to play Prison Architect inside of Rimworld, personally, so maybe the same feature will get extended to attackers later

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

The raider instant death on down is already a variable you can tweak in the custom difficulty, thankfully.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh that’s excellent, I dunno how I missed that when I was poking at the game earlier. Thanks for the callout!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've got What the Hack installed, and I've discovered that for some reason installing a firefighting module allows mechanoids to do hunting jobs.

I've currently got a pair of Krakens brutalizing the local wildlife and its great.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Carcer posted:

I've got What the Hack installed, and I've discovered that for some reason installing a firefighting module allows mechanoids to do hunting jobs.

I've currently got a pair of Krakens brutalizing the local wildlife and its great.

I can see the in-universe developer's response already.
Bug:
- firefighting module causes hacked mechanoids to target some local wildlife as "fires" due to increased ambient temperature compared to surroundings
- WON'T FIX: users have expressed satisfaction with this behavior, entered change request to rebrand module to firefighting/hunting for future releases

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
BUG: Mechanoids equipped with inferno cannons are starting fires as part of previously detailed unexpected hunting behaviour. Client complain that "gently caress poo poo EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE"

FIX: Direct marketing to promote behaviour as "Instant hassle free barbecue mode" and increase pricing by 20%.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone else stick trading posts in front of ancient dangers etc so that the empire can clear it out early game for you?

lmao I had a mech cluster land but it was all turrets so I ignored it. Got the call of c'thulu mod though and a bunch of dark young's raided me and went right past it and they nuked each other

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I chip away and weaken some walls and then daisy chain some explosive IEDs in the hopes that a raid will trip them and awaken the ancient danger, but this has happened exactly once for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm liking the UI improvements and the new ceremony for bestowing titles, since the ceremony is a quest with a long timeout it's really easy to wait for a raid or some other catastrophic thing to get the squadron of troopers to help out with your defenses, but only if you have your landing pad well-positioned for this

Since torches are a type of focus now for pyromaniacs they come with a green bubble to denote meditation range, but it's also super helpful as a ruler for determining lighting diameters

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My first Yeoman got the new psycast that reduces prisoner resistance, that's a super nice thing to have in a new colony

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

moot the hopple posted:

I chip away and weaken some walls and then daisy chain some explosive IEDs in the hopes that a raid will trip them and awaken the ancient danger, but this has happened exactly once for me.

You can do it on purpose, make the raids path within line of sight of the walls and shell them open yourself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Biggest new change IMO is the ability to disable wealth's effect on threat scaling. I can finally just play and not make sure all of my base is worth as little as possible

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

deep dish peat moss posted:

Biggest new change IMO is the ability to disable wealth's effect on threat scaling. I can finally just play and not make sure all of my base is worth as little as possible

You don't really need to consciously manipulate wealth until the very highest difficulties, and even then it's not really super necessary imo. Hell, the only rule of thumb I follow on merciless is that anything that isn't directly improving the colony should be immediately put to use, i.e. don't let giant stockpiles of silver/metals/etc accumulate unless you have a plan for them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My plan for my piles of Silver is to use them to lure fresh organs into my killbox, where I "convert" them to silver.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it's cool that that kind of alchemy exists in vanilla

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's worth noting that the big issue with this is that the storyteller won't be able to scale threats down if you get wrecked by a particular raid. There is a curve that exists, and disabling wealth disables a pretty major feedback that adjusts that curve, so you can very easily either outpace it or fall behind.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You should be playing on randy anyway, so getting obliterated by one raid won't save you from the next two that spawn simultaneously to drop pod 30 enemies into your base while an infestation appears in your med bay.

e: I got royalty and really want to start a new colony but a lot of my mods haven't updated and there is no way I am playing without mounts, hacking mechanoids and most importantly, sacrificing my enemies to cosmic horrors for fun and profit.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 13, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Carcer posted:

You should be playing on randy anyway, so getting obliterated by one raid won't save you from the next two that spawn simultaneously to drop pod 30 enemies into your base while an infestation appears in your med bay.

e: I got royalty and really want to start a new colony but a lot of my mods haven't updated and there is no way I am playing without mounts, hacking mechanoids and most importantly, sacrificing my enemies to cosmic horrors for fun and profit.

mounts work fine in my current game on patch 1.2 with royalty and I haven't tried sacrificing anyone to cosmic horrors but thats in game and they invade me. Not sure what mod enables hacking mechanoids

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its called "What the Hack" and it lets you hack mechanoids so that they will fight for you. Link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1505914869

Its powerful, but you have 0 control over them when you active them to fight (Other than they won't target your stuff) and there is risk in doing the hack itself to convert them. You also need to spend time and resources (gained from dismantling dead mechs) maintaining them or they've got a chance to turn on you. they can also be upgraded with modules that let them do work, the weird firefighting/hunting behaviour coming from that system.

Its really fun and they're great as a literal "oh gently caress" button you can hit and just unleash a wave of mechanoids as a last line of defense against some overwhelming enemy.

e: based on the error log I think its psychology thats not interacting properly with alien race framework in some way.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 13, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Carcer posted:

Yeah I got tired of waiting so I rolled back to 1.1.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the new visitors feature, just finished hosting my first group of friends. Made plans to expand the organ harvesting freezer to "accommodate" future groups

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just started playing the game. At landfall I don't know how to build stone walls. Is that a thing I can research?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just started playing the game. At landfall I don't know how to build stone walls. Is that a thing I can research?

Did you cut the stone chunks into blocks first?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aha! Didn't know I could do that. What tab is that under?

Is convincing prisoners to join the group my only early-game way of adding pawns?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is convincing prisoners to join the group my only early-game way of adding pawns?

It's not a tab, you need to build a crafting table and then set a job at the table to make stone blocks from chunks. Then you can use the cut stone to make walls, floor tiles, etc.

Yes, convincing prisoners to join is the best way to add more pawns. Another way to get pawns early is if a slave trader comes by, you can buy and free slaves. There are events which add pawns too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a stonecutting bench for cutting chunks into blocks, it's pretty labor intensive. At the start of the game I just use wood for everything and transition to stone later

Prisoner recruitment is probably the most consistent way, there are a bunch of alternatives but whether they're available comes down to RNG. Sometimes you can get a recruitment as a quest reward. Sometimes a pawn literally falls from the sky. In 1.2 the guest quests can randomly result in recruitment if they like you enough. Probably 80% of my pawns were prisoners though

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you started with the standard start, just go under Production and then make a block cutting bench. If you started as tribals then you can't cut stones yet - first you need to make a research bench and learn how to cut stones. But before that, you can disassemble ruined walls and collect the bricks from them to use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Do pawns reproduce?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no. human pregnancy is not in the game without mods.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I like the new visitors feature, just finished hosting my first group of friends. Made plans to expand the organ harvesting freezer to "accommodate" future groups

I had one group where I got a quest to betray them, I didn't take it but then one guy went berserk and I left him to bleed out because gently caress it. Then the rest left. I should have just betrayed them.

The next group betrayed ME after a few days and got clowned on because they were all wielding lovely knives and beer bottles vs rifles. I captured the sole survivor, he started a relationship with the warden while still in prison but this didn't clear his resistance and he still refused to join. Once he did eventually join the notification said he was promised 'intimacy' :heysexy:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sometimes a guy really, really needs a pedicure.

:rip: So, okay, how does a beginner deal with mad animals? Just hiding until they get over it doesn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Shoot them.