Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
^Its in the base game.

CapnAndy posted:

Job 3: Get rid of anything tainted.

And just for good measure, the "burn anything tainted" job too.

You need to allow biocoded and non-biocoded apparel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there a way to force your handlers to feed/treat animals? I had animals die of starvation when there was meat available, and the handlers wouldn't even feed them.

e: Whoa, you can smelt apparel? Awesome. Is that an extension?
Nope, that's base.

Also, handlers don't feed the animals, they feed themselves. Make sure your animals have access to places where the food is. What I do, and I imagine it's pretty common, is that I've got a special food freezer inside the animal pen that's set to only take hay and kibble at high priority. The haulers bring the stuff there and the animals eat when they're hungry. You can also give your animals access to your main food stockpile and even your growing zones if you're desperate (I have a separate I'm-desperate zone for giving that to the animals if the hay runs out), but that can cause issues -- if they eat the crops while they're growing it's insanely inefficient, and they'll eat anything in your food storage, I've got a labrador retriever with cirrohsis and liver cancer because it found a bottle of beer when it was a puppy.

That Guy Bob posted:

You need to allow biocoded and non-biocoded apparel too.
Oh goddammit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Find a crop expansion mod that lets you sow grass. Set at least two plots and forbid sowing in one for 1-2 days, then fill it out. This prevents all the leftover grass in plot one from simultaneously dying and leaving you completely high and dry. It'll still happen but the plots will alternate doing this.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

CapnAndy posted:

Job 3: Get rid of anything tainted.

And just for good measure, the "burn anything tainted" job too.
You need to check the boxes for allowing biocoded and non-biocoded material, right now you're excluding everything by having neither checked.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CapnAndy posted:

Nope, that's base.

Also, handlers don't feed the animals, they feed themselves. Make sure your animals have access to places where the food is. What I do, and I imagine it's pretty common, is that I've got a special food freezer inside the animal pen that's set to only take hay and kibble at high priority. The haulers bring the stuff there and the animals eat when they're hungry. You can also give your animals access to your main food stockpile and even your growing zones if you're desperate (I have a separate I'm-desperate zone for giving that to the animals if the hay runs out), but that can cause issues -- if they eat the crops while they're growing it's insanely inefficient, and they'll eat anything in your food storage, I've got a labrador retriever with cirrohsis and liver cancer because it found a bottle of beer when it was a puppy.
Oh goddammit.

I had a problem in that there weren't any sliders for storage zones, so I couldn't control the amount of food that went into a freezer. What am I missing? (The sliders are for hit points, which is irrelevant.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

That Guy Bob posted:

I think some folks are counting the walls for their room sizes which is leading to the confusion.

Yup, upon rechecking my game that’s exactly what’s going on. I think in internal dimensions since that is what has the practical effect on the room’s utility but it’s exterior dimensions are 13x13, which actually jives with everything that’s being said.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had a problem in that there weren't any sliders for storage zones, so I couldn't control the amount of food that went into a freezer. What am I missing? (The sliders are for hit points, which is irrelevant.)
You can't control the amount, but you can control the type. Hit Clear All, then go in and manually enable only hay and kibble. Then in your main food storage, go in and manually disable hay and kibble, so it won't go there.

Your only solutions to a full storage area are making it bigger, building another one, or sending a caravan off to sell your excess.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

One of my biggest issues whenever I start a new colony is to expand my crew in a timely manner. Like I look at the free pawns the game throws at me and they always are so very lovely in at least one important aspect that I just don't want to bother with them or take the risk that they gently caress things up somehow. Just now the game let a pretty skilled crafter crash in my first summer but he was also a psycho, chem freak and had bloodlust. Also he had a peg-leg, was fat as hell, naked, and was paralyzed for like 30+ days. The gently caress should I do with that? I let him starve out there for being such a shitheel

Do other people just abuse lovely pawns for free labor and then banish them after a while?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am usually quite picky about pawns though I do sometimes rescue them just for giggles.

If they decide to stay though and I'm not super keen on them because they don't fit into my nice bright and ticking along colony. Well, this basically sums up my immigration policy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Chem interest (or fascination) is relatively easily managed keeping the colony to psychite tea and beer.

Bloodlust is absolutely outstanding imo, after a fight when everyone's bitching about things you can send the bloodlust colonist off to off some downed raiders so they have a cumulative +30 or so mood buff that lasts for several days. They may start more social fights, but it's usually not too bad.

Psychopath is a potentially problematic trait, I agree. It can still be useful. Regardless, if you get colonists with questionable colony unity implications then stick them on night shift and work to ensure the minimal amount of interaction possible.

Rarely will I completely abandon a colonist. Sometimes I'll arrest them then leave the door open. If the entire colony hates them, I send them off to die when colony mood is low so everyone gets a +2-4 (or more!) mood buff from a rival dying.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tin Tim posted:

One of my biggest issues whenever I start a new colony is to expand my crew in a timely manner. Like I look at the free pawns the game throws at me and they always are so very lovely in at least one important aspect that I just don't want to bother with them or take the risk that they gently caress things up somehow. Just now the game let a pretty skilled crafter crash in my first summer but he was also a psycho, chem freak and had bloodlust. Also he had a peg-leg, was fat as hell, naked, and was paralyzed for like 30+ days. The gently caress should I do with that? I let him starve out there for being such a shitheel

Do other people just abuse lovely pawns for free labor and then banish them after a while?

Bloodlust is primarily good; it removes the -mood penalty for seeing corpses and combat and butchering humans and tainted clothing (they actually like fighting and murdering so put them in your line infantry, also there is a +mood buff from wearing human leather) and the only downside is the pawn starts more social fights, which is not a big deal.

Psychopath is more situational but still generally good, as it similarly removes a lot of -mood penalties from violence and doin warcrimes (and gives the same Buffalo Bill fashion sense) in exchange for that pawn getting no +mood bonus from pets/relationships.

In general recruiting people you don't actually want to keep is counterproductive unless you really like playing rimworld as tactical combat chess with cannibal romance and other surreal nonsense, since having more colonists requires more infrastructure to keep them fed/entertained/armed/etc and all that wealth makes raids significantly bigger. Also if you keep your population low the storyteller is more likely to generate events that give free (or almost-free) recruits. But if a turd-in-a-hat automatically joins via event/quest then yeah you can at least get some utility out of them before getting rid of them.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tin Tim posted:

Just as a general feelgood measure I try to have my pawns rescue and nurse back to health everybody who crashes or calls for help or whatnot if I have the resources, but after the crisis is resolved I have the unwanted pawn pick up several survival meals, get a decent guest-apparel outfit and weapon, and then use the dev-mode delete tool on them. No mood issues from banishing a colonist or whatnot, no muss, no fuss. I roleplay that they were given hospitality and then were politely but firmly sent on their way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Early game, I need the labor and often pick up pawns just so I have a dedicated clean/hauler. The one I absolutely will not take is pyromaniac, because who needs that?

Is there a mood debuff for slaughtering animals that self-tame? I just had two cows show up and they were both bulls. :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Complications posted:

Just as a general feelgood measure I try to have my pawns rescue and nurse back to health everybody who crashes or calls for help or whatnot if I have the resources, but after the crisis is resolved I have the unwanted pawn pick up several survival meals, get a decent guest-apparel outfit and weapon, and then use the dev-mode delete tool on them. No mood issues from banishing a colonist or whatnot, no muss, no fuss. I roleplay that they were given hospitality and then were politely but firmly sent on their way.

That's true, I switched from jail door open to the GiveUpExit devtool, that way they can come back later as guests or raiders.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Early game, I need the labor and often pick up pawns just so I have a dedicated clean/hauler. The one I absolutely will not take is pyromaniac, because who needs that?

Is there a mood debuff for slaughtering animals that self-tame? I just had two cows show up and they were both bulls. :(

I think pyro and heavy sleeper are the ones that I hard pass on (unless heavy sleeper is incapable of violence). Gourmand is close as well, they have to be real good otherwise to stay. Staggeringly ugly (And regular ugly, to a lesser extent), sadly enough, are very useful for colony wide mood buffs if you send them off to go punch a cougar or mechanoid cluster. Slothful and Depressive are other situational depending on what they're useful for.

No mood debuff for slaughtering colony animals as long as they're not bonded to someone. You can use bulls as pack animals, yeah? And then when a bulk goods trader shows up they may bring a cow or two, allowing you to start RimRanching.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

I got one of these "host a guy for a while, if he's happy you get bonus relations" quests, but then his wife raided us. Of course she gets popped in the head immediately upon getting in range. Guess I'm not getting that bonus.

I once got a brawler with autopistol as his personal weapon. I pampered that rear end in a top hat more than any other guest, even fixed his failing heart and still only got +1, with a bonus of +1.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Psychopath is more situational but still generally good, as it similarly removes a lot of -mood penalties from violence and doin warcrimes (and gives the same Buffalo Bill fashion sense) in exchange for that pawn getting no +mood bonus from pets/relationships.

Having at least 1 psychopath is great to have for making kibble out of hay and ...selected cuts of meat. Also for making those selected cuts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No, you can't train bulls at all.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, you can't train bulls at all.

Ah, well.

If you got the resources, I'd say keep one. You probably have some grass lying about the base unless you're in an extreme biome so for most of the year a single grazer should be totally fine.

But then I love having giant barns filled with a variety of fiber, milk, hauling, and other animals for various purposes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have genuinely never been in a position yet where I couldn't use more warm bodies. Anyone who can haul and clean is worth the food.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gourmand is annoying when you get starvation notifications and they get the -20 mood debuff while sleeping, which can introduce break risk during the walk to the kitchen. I've never seen a food binge eat more than one meal so pretty tame break. Pyromaniac is terrible for reasons listed unless you're willing to arrest or savagely beat the offender.

Everything else is workable. I only hold my nose at labor limitations. As long as a colonist can Clean, Haul and Dumb Craft(cut stones, make most drugs, burn stuff for fuel, hunt, fishing with mods, even bad miners or researchers can brute force things for some small gain with extra bench/limit to stone) they can reduce time your stars spend outside their wildly profitable zone. My current colony has a research 19 and a masterwork factory tailor because there are 2 cleaners and 2-4 jack of all trades keeping misc things running between the efforts of the reliable colonists.

Also never underestimate taking on a small problem to solve a big one. Having your second Medical 8 is very important early on even if they're slothful.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I do agree that Gourmand is extremely annoying. No, idiot, you're not starving, you just woke up. Same as every morning. Go eat breakfast and get the gently caress out of my notifications bar.

I also feel really bad for my one colonist who survived a charge rifle to the face, with a permanent aching scar that leaves him in a pretty significant amount of pain. I can't do a frigging head transplant, he's just stuck with the agony.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Can you fix gourmands by just reducing their sleep time? I just set all colonists to Anything all day

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just started a new colony a week or so ago and definitely had a lot of trouble with the first three colonists and it took for loving ever for new ones to show up. Cleaning and hauling are things that just never get done until I can get more people to dedicate specifically to it.

Is there any downside to buying slaves as far as the slaves themselves being anything other than a new colonist you can just pay for? I got a new guy from a slaver and seems fine but wasn't sure if there's some detriment to using slaves to fill out my ranks or not.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

explosivo posted:

I just started a new colony a week or so ago and definitely had a lot of trouble with the first three colonists and it took for loving ever for new ones to show up. Cleaning and hauling are things that just never get done until I can get more people to dedicate specifically to it.

Is there any downside to buying slaves as far as the slaves themselves being anything other than a new colonist you can just pay for? I got a new guy from a slaver and seems fine but wasn't sure if there's some detriment to using slaves to fill out my ranks or not.

It actually has more upsides than just recruiting one or accepting someone who wondered in. At least in vanilla you get a positive booster "freed a slave" because your colony does not do have slaves, you just have prisoners you want to get rid off.

EDIT: Downside being that anyone who has any worthwhile skills are expensive, and when you are beyond the initial stages where you actually might want to pay for professionals, the slave traders show up empty-handed even when invited to visit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Der Kyhe posted:

It actually has more upsides than just recruiting one or accepting someone who wondered in. At least in vanilla you get a positive booster "freed a slave" because your colony does not do have slaves, you just have prisoners you want to get rid off.

Oh sweet. Good to know, thanks!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

explosivo posted:

Nope, no downside, buy all the slaves you want. The only thing pawns have a problem with is selling slaves.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

They get +15 mood for about a season, slaves are great and easy colonist pick ups. However they have about -10 social with non slaves who look down on them. Kind of silly considering how cutthroat the setting is. "Your deep sleep ship exploded and you landed with broken legs among pirates? Plebe!" "Your home village was overrun by imperial fascists in power armor? You loser." And considering how you recruit enemy raiders... :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That is hella stupid cause it implies you bought them AS a slave, and not just buying them FROM slavery.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leal posted:

That is hella stupid cause it implies you bought them AS a slave, and not just buying them FROM slavery.

Bootstrapping is a one hell of a drug.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I do agree that Gourmand is extremely annoying. No, idiot, you're not starving, you just woke up. Same as every morning. Go eat breakfast and get the gently caress out of my notifications bar.

I also feel really bad for my one colonist who survived a charge rifle to the face, with a permanent aching scar that leaves him in a pretty significant amount of pain. I can't do a frigging head transplant, he's just stuck with the agony.

Get the mod that lets you remove those with glitterworld medicine. It's lore appropriate and adds a new dimension to trade in the early-mid game. Do I buy that gun so I have more than two or do I stop this person from constantly being in pain?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Piell posted:

Nope, no downside, buy all the slaves you want. The only thing pawns have a problem with is selling slaves.

If you have the Royalty-DLC selling to the tribute collector has a fairly minimal malus for doing that. Its convenient way to make additional psychs or to get that missing 1-2 favors to get the next title. On that topic, never sell gold, you will need it later.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The only downside with buying slaves is I can never find anyone selling them.

Moon Slayer posted:

Get the mod that lets you remove those with glitterworld medicine. It's lore appropriate and adds a new dimension to trade in the early-mid game. Do I buy that gun so I have more than two or do I stop this person from constantly being in pain?
poo poo, man, name the mod and I will.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Scar Removal Plus" is it, I think. Phone posting from work so I can't look it up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

If you have the Royalty-DLC selling to the tribute collector has a fairly minimal malus for doing that. Its convenient way to make additional psychs or to get that missing 1-2 favors to get the next title. On that topic, never sell gold, you will need it later.

Aha! Using it to give to royalty is dumb?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

"Scar Removal Plus" is it, I think. Phone posting from work so I can't look it up.

Could also do the Dermal Regenerator Mod, powered building they stand in to lose scars and get a short consciousness and vomiting debuff.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha! Using it to give to royalty is dumb?

Mostly dumb unless you're absolutely swimming in it. Gold's needed for advanced components, big thrones, and prestige armor. Or toilets.

If you use gemstones mod those can be passed to the tribute collector and makes a fair way to dump loads if you got them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's crazy how much the perfect mod can improve this game. It's a tiny thing but the temperature control unit mod that heats/cools to reach the preferred temperature takes so much switch flicking bullshit out of the game and I love it for that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rimfactory is pretty sweet, it almost makes me want to do a solo ice sheet run. Except research is so loving unbearable when you don't got extra bodies to keep the research coming.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

explosivo posted:

It's crazy how much the perfect mod can improve this game. It's a tiny thing but the temperature control unit mod that heats/cools to reach the preferred temperature takes so much switch flicking bullshit out of the game and I love it for that.
Oooh, central air mod? Gimme that.

Also, today I guess I officially pissed off Clarissa. I was riding high; I finally had enough guys to do everything, I had more resources than I needed, I even had dudes idling because there was nothing left to haul or clean. Just as I was turning my attention to what I'd like to do next, she goes "nope, can't have this" and hits me with:

- A defoliation ship
- A raid from three directions
- A regular raid
- A sapper raid from two directions

That last one resulted in three casualties. Hopefully she'll be satisfied now. And hey, I know what I need to do next: fireproof my base and get to work on outfit settings so that people go into combat in armor.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

silentsnack posted:

i...no?

i thought it was generally understood in here that psychopath is terrible long term. no +mood from relationships isn't the problem, it's the fact that they also cannot feel positively about other colonists so the literal only thing that can happen is they get pissed at people. psychopaths are a social time bomb that absolutely, 100% are going to go off if the psycho is anywhere near your normies. they actually get in MORE social fights than bloodlust pawns because literally every interaction is a dare for someone to kick off, which will suck away work hours from two people and will happen constantly after the insults start. keeping them on an alternative work schedule is the only potential solution, but even then, even passing contact risks SOMEONE saying something and if someone says something, someone's getting punched.

psychos are fine if you have a very specific use for them in mind. if you want to use them to butcher humanlikes go ahead, they are very useful for that so you can make money from corpses quickly. but you should five hundred percent expect them to become the colony pariah that is getting in fights very frequently and causing everyone a ton of headache just by existing. be ready to boot them out after they overstay their welcome. imo it's as bad a trait as pyromaniac and definitely worse than gourmand.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
build them a lil human butchery hut that theyre limited to that other pawns are banned from