Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I do think Royalty should have been not about, well, Royalty, but rather having a variety of powerful factions who could potentially help or hurt you a lot. Like someone said for example let you have modern day style political leaders, and instead of a throne room you need to support them with a suitably impressive office, and maybe assign an aide. Side with a corporation and conduct off the books research. Join a proletarian compact which expects you to maintain as equal and equitable a colony as you can. These could even feed into a bunch of alternative victory conditions, like establishing a supranational body to present a united planet to offworld powers; spreading the revolution by hosting guests a la Hospitality and combining persuasion and showing them a good time, meaning they go home and work to copy your system, etc.

It's not that I dislike what's there, but it feels so constrained next to the possibilities.

The best ending I'm aware of is the one from the Cults mod because you end up being taken away by Dagon to join him underwater or what have you, it felt like a satisfying finale which capped off a long game much better than "your womans went back to space who knows what happened next?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you look at this dudes art style and realize he doesnt wanna do too much work ok

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hes not gonna draw fuckin hands if he doesnt need to, are a huge mass of alternative endings gonna happen from the game without hands

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Rimworld: The Game Without Hands

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

The best ending I'm aware of is the one from the Cults mod because you end up being taken away by Dagon to join him underwater or what have you, it felt like a satisfying finale which capped off a long game much better than "your womans went back to space who knows what happened next?"

All of the gods had some version of it, and yeah it was nice that it was a sort of capstone thing if you wanted it but there was nothing poking you saying "hey this is what you should probably do".

The cults mod is probably one of my favourite mods ever, even though I'm not using it for my current colony. It feels quite balanced in that you need to give up time/productivity to access the benefits, which are powerful but require a lot of worship and a human sacrifice on hand to use.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you look at this dudes art style and realize he doesnt wanna do too much work ok

I think the art is a bit of a miss here. I kinda like the no hands basic pawns style. There's enough there to keep me invested in my little weebles and be charming.

No, Tynan's :effort: moment was no man's bi.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It does feel like saying rayman's creators are lazy because he doesn't have arms and legs.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I actually adore the artstyle used for the story tellers and loading screens and I wish there was more of it (and maybe some lady noble in the rotation)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Android Tiers and Combat extended work kind of weird together because the T1 androids the game throws at you pretty early are really tanky but also pain immune. So they will charge straight into your firing line and sacrifice themselves just to shot one of your colonists near fatally in the kidney with their lovely pistol.

Katt fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 26, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Katt posted:

I actually adore the artstyle used for the story tellers and loading screens and I wish there was more of it (and maybe some lady noble in the rotation)

thats a real artist on contract iirc

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Which one?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Katt posted:

Which one?

Oh, the usual. "You pay me money, I draw you art."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ricardo tome

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, the usual. "You pay me money, I draw you art."

And don't call me Shirley.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'd like to thank whoever recommended Prepare Moderately. It feels less cheaty than Prepare Carefully: all it does is speed up the process of "reroll until I get somebody with construction > 5 who isn't a gourmand or a pyromaniac."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

And RIP this latest colony after a lone person with an LMB drop podded right into the middle and downed 4 armored pawns in 4 volleys of which 2 died instantly :v:

Combat Extended is a lot of fun when I'm the one doing the attacking but with committed mode it feels like you have to keep your pawns from ever being hit by any bullets ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

Android Tiers and Combat extended work kind of weird together because the T1 androids the game throws at you pretty early are really tanky but also pain immune. So they will charge straight into your firing line and sacrifice themselves just to shot one of your colonists near fatally in the kidney with their lovely pistol.

That's sort of true in vanilla as well. They are smaller than normal colonists by a good margin so they have low HP, but they don't stop until you physically render them unable to move or destroy a critical part.

The main difference I think in CE is that they will also resist very low penetration weaponry because they are made of metal.

Katt posted:

Combat Extended is a lot of fun when I'm the one doing the attacking but with committed mode it feels like you have to keep your pawns from ever being hit by any bullets ever.

And yeah, that's kinda true too. In some ways it is actually easier to do this in CE because of the panic cover reaction and just generally it makes cover work a fair bit better if you get enough of it. But it does suffer a bit from the general "you lost because you didn't do something hours ago" element with how lethal it is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 26, 2021

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Things were pretty chef kiss when my ragtag band of colonists with bolt action rifles were holding the line. 6 tribals are fine because you down 3 and the other 3 run. 3 pirates are fine because the AP ammo gets through their armor.

But then 3 androids show up and two colonists get permanent crippling injuries.

Does anyone have good advice for how to play committed CE?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps start yourself with some Vanilla Expanded shield generators to give you a qualitative level of defence against attackers. Also helmets and flak vests to reduce the probability of fatal wounds.

I dunno, really. Ultimately it does just make combat very lethal and it takes a lot of technology to remove the risk from even fairly simple encounters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Traps help destroy armor, even if they don't down people.

Other than that I dunno, I haven't tried androids with CE yet. Those tribal FSX grenades or dynamite would likely help a ton.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I want to make the most of the extended range and the advantages as a defender. A few CE defenders with long range AP shots can hold the line against alot of attackers. and CE made infestations a bit easier because bugs were always lethal at close range but now bullets are way more lethal at long range.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
In all seriousness if you are running Android Tiers you should have at least a few T1s running around at all times. They're perfectly suited to mindless hauling, cleaning and simple crafting and you can use them as suicide blockers against raiders.

You could call them cheaty because they certainly simplify headcount dilemmas but since enemy androids are evening the odds with CE you shouldn't hold back.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Rpg-7 with HEAT rounds would likely do the trick.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A T1 android was storming my double machinegun nests. They shot one leg off and both arms off and it was still charging ahead.

Funny thing about CE: It gives turtles so much armor that wildmen often die from trying to fight them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

it turns out potocki hired this guy to do the art for the expanded storytellers too, which is apparently why they have the exact same drat artstyle as the unmodded storytellers

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A T2 android commando was moving towards my base. He ran into a mad cassowary that started by ripping out both his eyeballs and then knocking him down. He got up and won the fight but after that he charged the machinegun nests blind and died horrible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Rpg-7 with HEAT rounds would likely do the trick.

A fun thing about CE is that if you hit an inferno cannon mechanoid with something like an RPG, if you kill them then the explosion will cook off their ammo and you can wipe out entire squads of mechanoids in the process.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

A fun thing about CE is that if you hit an inferno cannon mechanoid with something like an RPG, if you kill them then the explosion will cook off their ammo and you can wipe out entire squads of mechanoids in the process.

I watched a stack of the thermobaric rounds go off right by a psychic ship. It was extremely lucky.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I wish repairing was on a seperate work priority. I suffered a mechanoid attack and large siege back to back and a lot of my walls/turrets are damaged, but I can't hasten repairs except to force each task one by one.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Apparently the new RuntimeGC is only available through RimworldBase, which insists that I turn off my adblocker even though it's off. This happens both on Chrome and Netscape.

wait what

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Carcer posted:

I wish repairing was on a seperate work priority. I suffered a mechanoid attack and large siege back to back and a lot of my walls/turrets are damaged, but I can't hasten repairs except to force each task one by one.

this mod will let you do just that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725219116. you can raise the priority of repairing structures to one tick above the rest of the construction category, among other things.

or you could try forbidding any ongoing construction and raise the priority of the construction task, that should do it.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Doomykins posted:

Not all mods are coded equal.

Luckily my bookmarks had a search feature and I was able to find this old gem: Slow Mods. It convinced me to uninstall Android Tiers and I noticed an immediate and dramatic FPS boost.

Thank you for posting this resource!

Apparently Achtung! mod is a serious frame rate killer so I uninstalled it. While I liked the Force Work feature and Clean Room command it wasnt really critical. I uninstalled it and definitely noticed an improvement.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yes, I am that old. You're lucky I didn't say Mosaic. (yes, I meant Firefox.)

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Just got this game, am I supposed to be beating up and press ganging the attackers? They end up full of fuckin bullet holes and die before I can capture them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capturing people from raids is a bit hit or miss, particularly as a downed enemy has a chance to just straight up die that I believe increases the more people you have in your colony.

You can make it easier to capture people if you use blunt weapons, as they don't cause bleeding which is the primary vector of infection and blood loss related deaths. Blunt injuries tend to be "stable" in the sense that they do not deterioriate or constitute a threat of infection.

But you are putting yourself at risk, obviously, engaging people in melee combat, so if it is a risk you don't want to take, there are other ways to get recruits, from quests, random events, or buying them from slavers (they become free colonists once you do that)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Yeah, with the new storyteller tweaks you can see that the standard Adventure difficulty already starts at a 100% additional chance to instantly kill a downed enemy, I assume over the base value.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Generally it's easier to wait until raids break when they lose enough people, and send someone fast/use stun or burden to chase down a promising recruit and punch them, rather than risking it during a fight.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

Yeah, with the new storyteller tweaks you can see that the standard Adventure difficulty already starts at a 100% additional chance to instantly kill a downed enemy, I assume over the base value.

When did storytellers get tweaked?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

QuarkJets posted:

Things like Farskip are not replicatable by "just correctly running a colony".

I'll grant that psy powers are not a core requirement for a successful colony, but many of them are basically cheat codes.

I didn't say replicatable, I said not as powerful.

I also should have pointed out that if you're modding the game, and you should, that they're even more pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Apoplexy posted:

Rimworld: The Game Without Hands

ok, 29 centipedes is apparently enough to overrun my killbox and start the colony doom spiral so rimworld is really the game with some hands - without hands