Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DogonCrook posted:

Its surprisingly accurate compared to the rest of the survival genre. Without antibiotics we will all rapidly die of diarrhea instead of some heroic last stand.

I don't mind it that much compared to last alpha, at least now it's not a guaranteed death sentence for low techies. It is typical for me to go through 150+ herbal medicine per year though and if you're not able to grow it you're hosed. The whole "advanced pharmaceuticals" branch of production in the vanilla game is really dubious since everything depends on large amounts of neutroamine and you have to buy it, and you probably can't unless you go to specific high tech towns to trade, and you have stuff they want (I guess quality wooden sculpture?)

Even if you're the crashlander faction I don't see how the higher end drugs or medicine are practical to produce until like, 10 years in :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I stopped following this game a while back. Is the end goal still "get off the planet because it'll eventually kill you via ramp up" or is it more "just survive".

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

. The whole "advanced pharmaceuticals" branch of production in the vanilla game is really dubious since everything depends on large amounts of neutroamine and you have to buy it, and you probably can't unless you go to specific high tech towns to trade, and you have stuff they want (I guess quality wooden sculpture?)

Even if you're the crashlander faction I don't see how the higher end drugs or medicine are practical to produce until like, 10 years in :shrug:

I thought this was a good part of the game. When i could make advanced drugs I was happy because now my dudes were no longer dying from basic diseases and it felt like I was making good progress.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Garfu posted:

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know what mod causes random roof collapses? I'm thinking it might be Fluffy Breakdowns but I'm not sure.

A little late, but Recon and Discovery mod adds a thing that causes random roof collapses on the world map.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

dogstile posted:

So I stopped following this game a while back. Is the end goal still "get off the planet because it'll eventually kill you via ramp up" or is it more "just survive".

I think most people play with the AI setting (Randy) that doesn't have the 1-way ramp up, which makes it more of the latter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm a little disappointed that the Manhunter Pack of Megaspiders that I got wasn't more hilariously lethal, with a name like that.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I think most people play with the AI setting (Randy) that doesn't have the 1-way ramp up, which makes it more of the latter.

Randy still has the ramp up, but he doesn't have a set schedule of 'okay time to throw more poo poo at the player now' like the other two AIs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Man that cult mod is engorssing :f5:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

That Guy Bob posted:

A little late, but Recon and Discovery mod adds a thing that causes random roof collapses on the world map.

Good call, it was the tremor incident in R&D. Disabled it, thanks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Do infestations only happen in certain maps and not others? I've built 3 underground forts across 3 different playthroughs and never had an infestation take place. Then I built a traditional land fort that happened to have an underground hydroponics room, and infestations occur like once every three raids. I've played Cassandra classic every game so far so I don't think it's the storyteller

Also, do you guys go on raids/form caravans to go elsewhere? The cost, time and effort setting up an attack force with pack mules seems way too high. Once I got the comms center up, I can do all my trading remotely, or have them come to me. I can see caravanning as a viable option if you drained your current map of resources. But at that point, shouldn't you have won by then? It's another step back having to bring your new site to the standard of the old one.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 21, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think infestations are triggered mainly by having large areas of unused/unlit underground tunnels/rooms, but I may be wrong about that

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

Man that cult mod is engorssing :f5:

I'm loving it. Through random chance all three of my starting characters were a mom, a dad and their kid. Two of them were cannibals so I wanted to run with that as a theme for my colony. I will be performing a lot of cthulhu worship to make my colony actually a ritualistic cannibal cult full of psychopaths that simply cannot wait to enjoy the fruits of their labors from each and every pirate raid.

You get a hell of a big mood boost for cooked cannibalism. The hills will have eyes in my world.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

buglord posted:

Also, do you guys go on raids/form caravans to go elsewhere? The cost, time and effort setting up an attack force with pack mules seems way too high. Once I got the comms center up, I can do all my trading remotely, or have them come to me. I can see caravanning as a viable option if you drained your current map of resources. But at that point, shouldn't you have won by then? It's another step back having to bring your new site to the standard of the old one.

One of my recent games I chose a spot to colonize that was right on a road. It was about a day's hike to a nearby village. I would walk things over there to trade fairly often.

Once I got around 9 Yorkshire terriers that joined. Instead of keeping them around waiting for someone to come by that would buy them, I took a colonist with a few meals and walked them to the next colony and sold them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Efexeye posted:

i think infestations are triggered mainly by having large areas of unused/unlit underground tunnels/rooms, but I may be wrong about that

Infestations can pop up anywhere revealed on the map where the roof is "Overhead Mountain". I've had them pop up in little 3x3 mine outcroppings in the side of a hill where I mined out a steel vein.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kanos posted:

Infestations can pop up anywhere revealed on the map where the roof is "Overhead Mountain". I've had them pop up in little 3x3 mine outcroppings in the side of a hill where I mined out a steel vein.

gotcha, for me they only seem to pop up when i leave a big section of underground base unlit, unheated and unpowered. confirmation bias im sure

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Efexeye posted:

gotcha, for me they only seem to pop up when i leave a big section of underground base unlit, unheated and unpowered. confirmation bias im sure

Since they can pop up anywhere there's overhead mountain, having big areas of overhead mountain(such as extensive mine tunnels) will generally cause them to appear there. I've had them appear in my loving bedrooms or kitchens enough times in mountain bases that I rarely do mountain bases anymore.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just disable the infestation event from the scenario editor now. The whole mechanic is just ridiculous and dumb, and mountain bases have enough challenges as it is (though they do make defense easier).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Flesh Forge posted:

The whole "advanced pharmaceuticals" branch of production in the vanilla game is really dubious since everything depends on large amounts of neutroamine and you have to buy it, and you probably can't unless you go to specific high tech towns to trade, and you have stuff they want (I guess quality wooden sculpture?)

Balanced Neutroamine Production
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903253578

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

delicious long pig roast

It may not be obvious why but Dagon is super rewarding :unsmigghh:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I just disable the infestation event from the scenario editor now. The whole mechanic is just ridiculous and dumb, and mountain bases have enough challenges as it is (though they do make defense easier).

Eh, if you have 2-wide hallways it's just a big pile of meat and leather :shrug:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Out of curiosity, what challenges? Without infestations the only extra challenge from mountain bases is the time they take to dig out. You get nearly impregnable defenses(because every single enemy has to come from the same direction so you can killbox them into oblivion), immunity to most ways to bypass your defenses(siege and sappers don't really do poo poo to a mountain base and drop pods can't fall onto overhead mountain), and basically free temperature regulation. Pretty much the only real difficulty that gets added is having less space to farm/grow wood, but the former is solved pretty easily by hydroponics farms and the latter is mostly a difficulty until you get stonecutting running since you have Infinite Stone Blocks to build except doors out of. Oh, also, massive beauty bonus from smooth stone floors for free.

Infestations in their current incarnation are pretty much an RNG gently caress you, though, and in a way I don't like.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Kanos posted:

Out of curiosity, what challenges? Without infestations the only extra challenge from mountain bases is the time they take to dig out. You get nearly impregnable defenses(because every single enemy has to come from the same direction so you can killbox them into oblivion), immunity to most ways to bypass your defenses(siege and sappers don't really do poo poo to a mountain base and drop pods can't fall onto overhead mountain), and basically free temperature regulation. Pretty much the only real difficulty that gets added is having less space to farm/grow wood, but the former is solved pretty easily by hydroponics farms and the latter is mostly a difficulty until you get stonecutting running since you have Infinite Stone Blocks to build except doors out of. Oh, also, massive beauty bonus from smooth stone floors for free.

Infestations in their current incarnation are pretty much an RNG gently caress you, though, and in a way I don't like.

My biggest problem so far is growing crops. I tried to set up some hydroponics but ~whoops power surge and they all died

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
power is also harder without a nuclear reactor mod since there's no good way to make it inside the mountainhome. but that said, this is all easily solvable by having power and food set up in the land outside the mountainhome and simply keeping large stockpiles inside. you can even stockpile power by simply storing charged batteries. the time it takes to do anything in a mountainhome is also a real consideration.

that said, after a mountainhome is established, unlike basically everything else ever it's practically impossible to dislodge. smaller footprints on the power and food infrastructure mean you can cover them much, much easier with pillboxes and turrets as the area you need to cover is 1/4th the size, and after physical defenses like that are sorted out there's literally nothing the game can do to gently caress with you, unlike a more traditional settlement where it can always throw drop pod mechanoids or something right into your freezer.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a mountain base feels like cheating, sorta. a mountain/coastal start removes like half the difficulty from the game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently Tynan thought bug meat was too good because now there's an unhappy thought from eating it, and also they don't give leather (I thought they used to but maybe I misremember)

But gently caress you colonists that is good meat and you are good god drat well gonna eat it :argh:

e: autocorrect does not like 'god' :raise:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Apparently Tynan thought bug meat was too good because now there's an unhappy thought from eating it, and also they don't give leather (I thought they used to but maybe I misremember)

But gently caress you colonists that is good meat and you are good drat well gonna eat it :argh:

The mood debuff has been there for several patches already. It's only good for kibble. I turn them off cause they're dumb.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of mountainous starts, anyone seen Zhentar around lately? His impassable tile maps were my jam but I haven't seen him post in forever :ohdear:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 22, 2017

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Do power surges travel through power switches that are turned off? For example, if I have spare charged batteries connected to my grid via a switch in the "off" position, would a power surge drain those batteries, or can I quickly flip the switch after a surge to avoid hydroponic crop death?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kanos posted:

creatine posted:

My biggest problem so far is growing crops. I tried to set up some hydroponics but ~whoops power surge and they all died

Crops are a huge issue, yes. They require a shitload of power. A full set of 24 hydroponics, along with their sun lamp, requires 4580W, so you'll need about six solar generators to power them (each solar generates ~850Wd per day). That means that to feed/clothe/heal a colony of five people plus animals, you need 4600 steel and 40 components (and that is not counting the extra batteries you should build just in case), AND you need to ensure the hydroponics never run out of power for too long. On top of that, if they break (and believe me, they break often), you need to have them repaired quickly, otherwise the crops on them die.

The other thing that makes mountain maps more challenging is that you need at least two colonists with decent mining skill, because every time you need a new room you need to dig it out. This is why mountain bases take a lot longer to grow. I just finished a mountain base game and started a small hills map, and holy moly do I appreciate how I can just put up a bunch of walls in 10 seconds and bam! New building. It's so easy in comparison.

Oh yeah, you also need to deal with cabin fever mood debuff in mountain bases, and manually walk pawns outside for some fresh air on a regular basis because they are too stupid to do it themselves.

One thing I should mention is that the defensive advantages of mountain bases are grossly overstated. Regardless of what base type you go with, you will need a killbox setup anyway, and sapper attacks are rare enough that a regular base is not that much more difficult to defend than a mountain base. They are also pretty easy to defend against. Snipers, mortars, traps, psychic weapons, etc.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 22, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

Do power surges travel through power switches that are turned off? For example, if I have spare charged batteries connected to my grid via a switch in the "off" position, would a power surge drain those batteries, or can I quickly flip the switch after a surge to avoid hydroponic crop death?

If they're off the grid via switch, they keep their charge. They also keep their charge if uninstalled, and can be reinstalled quickly if you need to bypass a break in your grid.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

If they're off the grid via switch, they keep their charge. They also keep their charge if uninstalled, and can be reinstalled quickly if you need to bypass a break in your grid.
Excellent, thanks for the comprehensive answer.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The biggest advantage to me for mountain bases is the smoothed stone beauty (+3) which is higher than carpets (+2), somehow.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i was doing nothing but mountain starts because i desperately want to win a permadeath game but i did a non mountain map start and it it's really nice not to have to have two pawns with mining priority 1 all the time

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HUNGRY :black101:

e: MMM JUST LIKE MOM USED TO MAKE :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Efexeye posted:

i was doing nothing but mountain starts because i desperately want to win a permadeath game but i did a non mountain map start and it it's really nice not to have to have two pawns with mining priority 1 all the time

it's really easy to forget how much time mining takes, even with a good miner. there's also other logistical problems, like not being able to put conduits into the stone even with the smoothable stone walls mod, so in many cases you need to mine out more than you think you do.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What mods are people using now? I've been reading through the older posts and it sounds like some new good ones have come out since my previous game last year.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

LLSix posted:

What mods are people using now? I've been reading through the older posts and it sounds like some new good ones have come out since my previous game last year.

I highly recommend the Discovery and Recon mod. Adds a lot of neat new quests.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wear no mask. :cthulhu:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Are there any mods that nerf solar flares without removing them? I found one for a shield, but I was hoping for a change to the event itself. For instance if it only shut down power generation, so you could just have batteries for your hydroponics and other critical things. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The real problem is that power failure in the hydroponics tank should not instantly kill hosted plants, that's just kind of lovely. I don't see any mods that alter this although there are several alternatives that are just unpowered constructible growing areas.