Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
You could preemptively hunt predators every now and then.

Has anyone had a bug where friendlies come to help you even though there's nothing going down, which is innocuous enough, and then when they try to leave they can't? I just had to rescue a bunch who were downed due to malnutrition after they wandered near the edge of the map for ages. One of them got killed by a wildfire so that might have upset their AI but it just seems odd. I'm using Hospitality but a few people who've had this bug don't seem to mention mods.

Hmmm, just done a bit more reading and it may be that because one of them was downed, they wouldn't leave? I'm guessing that because they weren't fighting anything but they weren't fleeing either, they wanted to stick around to help their friend (because the game expects these guys to get downed from fighting, not wildfire) and the AI just didn't have a course of action for them beyond 'stay and help' or 'run away'. They're leaving just fine 1 by 1 now I've patched them up. Interested to know if and when anyone else has seen this.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Like a lot of problems, mods are the answer. In this particular case, the colony management mod (which is awesome in it's own right) allows a job to be created in which it will automatically designate all predators for hunting.

It can also auto-cull livestock and manage wood piles as well as meat stocks. It's a fantastic mod though the desk upgrade tree seems fairly pointless.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Right now I have access to my base controlled via an open path with a choke point / kill box. Occasionally predators just waltz through this, get into my base, and start eating babies in my otherwise safe grazing area.

I'm worried if I put doors around it entirely the animals will be kept out but the raiders will decide that the other side of the base (where I don't have as many defenses) is more reasonable to attack. How do I get the best of both worlds?

Put a wall around your grazing area?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ShadowHawk posted:

Right now I have access to my base controlled via an open path with a choke point / kill box. Occasionally predators just waltz through this, get into my base, and start eating babies in my otherwise safe grazing area.

I'm worried if I put doors around it entirely the animals will be kept out but the raiders will decide that the other side of the base (where I don't have as many defenses) is more reasonable to attack. How do I get the best of both worlds?

I have my pens surrounded by walls and leave all but a hay storage area unroofed. I put in a few walls around the doors and use stone for all of that since there's occasional lighting strike fires.

This keeps predators out of my animal pen.

For my choke point I just have a big border granite fence around anything and leave a single tile open. The closest door into my base structures is a wooden door and they typically will route all around my base to the chokepoint since that wooden door is essentially the weak spot for everything inside my wall.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bhodi posted:

Like a lot of problems, mods are the answer. In this particular case, the colony management mod (which is awesome in it's own right) allows a job to be created in which it will automatically designate all predators for hunting.
In this case mods are also part of the problem, since some of the predators are T-Rexes from the dinosaur mod. Hunting them preemptively is...a bad idea.

Last time one started eating alpacas I ended up leaving out meals for him until I could cajole him into leaving.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Found a really good candidate reason for why I'm getting glitchy friendlies showing up. I have two ancient dangers on my map and with all the mechanoids crawling around inside the game thinks I'm in deep poo poo. I think there's a threshold when one ancient danger isn't a problem but if there are two on a large map, the game 'helps' you by sending friendlies. There's a mod to fix it but I'm going to roll with it and roleplay that these guys are showing up because they sense the ancient danger too and don't want it alive near their colonies. I will happily oblige next time they appear and open the danger.

e: Actually... one issue in 130 days, might wait until I have mortars.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 18, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've decided there's a colonist that needs to die. What's the best way to do that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

explosivo posted:

Do you guys do any management of pets as far as allowed areas? I'm to the point where I have like 25 animals roaming around at any given time and the only area restriction I have set up now is that they can't go in the area with the cooked meals. I was thinking about setting up individual zones for each animal, but was worried if they stayed in that area and ran out of food they'd just starve, or that restricting them to that area means they wouldn't go hunting with their master. I'm just looking to clear up some clutter by not having 6 muffalo just walking around.

Animals have varying amounts of indoor suitability. Farm animals and things you wouldn't expect to be domesticated will produce filth wandering around indoors, so keep your livestock in a barn. Dogs can generally be allowed to roam freely.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

That Works posted:

I've decided there's a colonist that needs to die. What's the best way to do that?

Thrumbo-boxing

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That Works posted:

The least effort is probably to send them on a caravan with no supplies into the middle of nowhere. You can also have them murdered via the operations screen but that probably gives more of a negative mood.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Playing with giant spiders and Cthulhu monsters has taught me that the correct strategy is to regularly cleanse the map of all predators.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Playing with giant spiders and Cthulhu monsters has taught me that the correct strategy is to regularly cleanse the map of all predators.

On the other hand, one guy with a sniper rifle and a suitably placed dark young can give a raid a very entertaining time :v:

To say nothing of when they get hungry and go after them of their own volition.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ShadowHawk posted:

Animal Logic is a mod that adds a number of features, one of which is that turrets will attack predators that are hunting something from your colony.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Why limit male/female? Newborn animals are a fantastic resource to utilize for multiple outputs and as far as I know it's "free" in that it doesn't cost more food or anything.

Nah, rapid breeding is fine. Pregnant animals move slower and I don’t want them getting stuck outside the walls hauling when a raid, hunting predator, whatever comes after them in their slower state. It’s why injured hauling males become part of that group, since they’re still worthwhile for hauling and maintaining genetic diversity among the hauling animals.

There’s also more than enough to haul inside the walls that they’re not resting that much anyway. The unrestricted haulers get the stone chunks and cargo pod drops, and clean up attacks that end outside the walls.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love this game's way of saying "Oh so you think you're hot poo poo huh?"

I'm riding high after making synthweave shirts and dusters for all plus power armor helmets for my soldiers and one guy in full power armor. Randy decides to send a pack of about 20 manhunter wolves to my base. "Piece of cake!" I say.

Oh god how wrong I was :stonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

In this case mods are also part of the problem, since some of the predators are T-Rexes from the dinosaur mod. Hunting them preemptively is...a bad idea.

Last time one started eating alpacas I ended up leaving out meals for him until I could cajole him into leaving.

Mods are still part of the solution, since I'm presuming your base is a little like mine:

Animal Logic includes a setting that treats animals that are hunting as hostile, so your turrets/trigger happy pawns will shoot at them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Walton Simons posted:

You could preemptively hunt predators every now and then.

Has anyone had a bug where friendlies come to help you even though there's nothing going down, which is innocuous enough, and then when they try to leave they can't? I just had to rescue a bunch who were downed due to malnutrition after they wandered near the edge of the map for ages. One of them got killed by a wildfire so that might have upset their AI but it just seems odd. I'm using Hospitality but a few people who've had this bug don't seem to mention mods.

Hmmm, just done a bit more reading and it may be that because one of them was downed, they wouldn't leave? I'm guessing that because they weren't fighting anything but they weren't fleeing either, they wanted to stick around to help their friend (because the game expects these guys to get downed from fighting, not wildfire) and the AI just didn't have a course of action for them beyond 'stay and help' or 'run away'. They're leaving just fine 1 by 1 now I've patched them up. Interested to know if and when anyone else has seen this.

It's a known bug. They are coming to help you with your ancient danger, which isn't supposed to trigger until you've actually found it. Then they sometimes don't exit properly. If you know where it is, pop it open for them. Be careful though because sometimes it's tribesmen and they just go and get themselves killed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ShadowHawk posted:

if you do what i said earlier and roll with an eternally closed wood door and a held-open stone door raiders will see that as a more direct path to your insides than a double-thick wall, unless they are sappers

will keep the animals out while still providing good fallback in case of emergency

e: alternately, you can fall back to a simpler design that you can deploy on all major facings of your base. this is the one i use:

this is basically an evolution of the murder hallway i showed off a few months ago. it's resistant to sapping because of the 4x walls, the turrets cause an undue amount of havoc due to the crossfire they can set up and the friendly fire they engender, and there's space for the 2x door built in so access is not hampered much. what's better, the design really only requires a couple of walls and a few turrets, so it's much less finicky and much, MUCH cheaper to deploy than many defense setups.

"but coolguy" you may say "why do you have wooden walls on the inside? that will go up like a tinderbox if one of those turrets explode!"

to which i say "PRE FUCKIN' CISELY."

the inherent issue with kill hallways like this is that unless you want to set up a labyrinth on each facing of your base (which is possible, but expensive) is that there's not really much of a plan b. if one of those turrets goes down, you're going to have a real problem on your hands. i tried handling this by building in extra turret facings in the room beyond, but it ended up costing much more and part of the attractiveness of this plan is the cost.

so i basically decided to use the turrets exploding to my advantage.

if one of these turrets goes up, the wooden walls will catch and very quickly turn the entire kill hallway into a pit of hell. invaders will have to charge THROUGH this growing firestorm to bash the wooden door down - which is probably already on fire. then once they get that down, there is another stone door right behind it. all the while the rest of the hallway is catching on fire. the entire world will be fire pretty quickly. and any surviving turrets will not particularly mind the flames so long as the floor they are on does not catch fire. so there will also be bullets in the fire.

the advanced version of this setup involves putting stone walls at the intake chokepoints and then putting incendiary IEDs at the end of the intake hall. small parties or loners will simply walk forward and past the IEDs, but large scale assaults will spread out naturally as they reach the end of the hallway. this will trigger the IEDs and ignite a hellstorm in the entryway, which, if properly cordoned off with stone walls, will be the only part that burns; this can effectively bisect a large attack force as a few point men will get through and be perforated by turrets, while their backup incinerates behind them.

the further beauty of this design is that it can start out as a simple stone or even wood wall to deter early raids until you can come back to it and finish the entire thing - with no effort wasted.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 18, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Coolguye posted:

if you do what i said earlier and roll with an eternally closed wood door and a held-open stone door raiders will see that as a more direct path to your insides than a double-thick wall, unless they are sappers

will keep the animals out while still providing good fallback in case of emergency

e: alternately, you can fall back to a simpler design that you can deploy on all major facings of your base. this is the one i use:

this is basically an evolution of the murder hallway i showed off a few months ago. it's resistant to sapping because of the 4x walls, the turrets cause an undue amount of havoc due to the crossfire they can set up and the friendly fire they engender, and there's space for the 2x door built in so access is not hampered much. what's better, the design really only requires a couple of walls and a few turrets, so it's much less finicky and much, MUCH cheaper to deploy than many defense setups.

"but coolguy" you may say "why do you have wooden walls on the inside? that will go up like a tinderbox if one of those turrets explode!"

to which i say "PRE FUCKIN' CISELY."

the inherent issue with kill hallways like this is that unless you want to set up a labyrinth on each facing of your base (which is possible, but expensive) is that there's not really much of a plan b. if one of those turrets goes down, you're going to have a real problem on your hands. i tried handling this by building in extra turret facings in the room beyond, but it ended up costing much more and part of the attractiveness of this plan is the cost.

so i basically decided to use the turrets exploding to my advantage.

if one of these turrets goes up, the wooden walls will catch and very quickly turn the entire kill hallway into a pit of hell. invaders will have to charge THROUGH this growing firestorm to bash the wooden door down - which is probably already on fire. then once they get that down, there is another stone door right behind it. all the while the rest of the hallway is catching on fire. the entire world will be fire pretty quickly. and any surviving turrets will not particularly mind the flames so long as the floor they are on does not catch fire. so there will also be bullets in the fire.

the advanced version of this setup involves putting stone walls at the intake chokepoints and then putting incendiary IEDs at the end of the intake hall. small parties or loners will simply walk forward and past the IEDs, but large scale assaults will spread out naturally as they reach the end of the hallway. this will trigger the IEDs and ignite a hellstorm in the entryway, which, if properly cordoned off with stone walls, will be the only part that burns; this can effectively bisect a large attack force as a few point men will get through and be perforated by turrets, while their backup incinerates behind them.

the further beauty of this design is that it can start out as a simple stone or even wood wall to deter early raids until you can come back to it and finish the entire thing - with no effort wasted.

Oh this is neat. Might try this on a new base soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Mods are still part of the solution, since I'm presuming your base is a little like mine:

Animal Logic includes a setting that treats animals that are hunting as hostile, so your turrets/trigger happy pawns will shoot at them.

What mods are you running? I see a lot of powerplant and defense stuff I don't recognize here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That Works posted:

What mods are you running? I see a lot of powerplant and defense stuff I don't recognize here.

Advanced Power Generation and More Vanilla Turrets are the big ones.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Why are there so many batteries?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Why are there so many batteries?

Why not?

Actual answer: The Osiris casket requires 120,000 W/d, so they act as a capacitor when I want to frankenstein a colonist.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Why not? Because they're firebombs just waiting for an excuse.

I hope you have them disconnected with a switch or something :ohdear:

But ok that seems reasonable.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Why not? Because they're firebombs just waiting for an excuse.

I hope you have them disconnected with a switch or something :ohdear:

But ok that seems reasonable.

Fuses my friend. Each bank of three batteries has a breaker attached for just that reason. RT Fuses mod. One breaker dispels 3000 watts of Zzzt.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Frustrating day on the rim for me, I feel like raids keep knocking me back every time I get back up to where I was so it's slow going. Only got myself to blame as I made a total hash of a psychic ship and ended up wasting loads of time healing up and slowly mopping up with my healthy guys.

On the plus side, I'll have 4 more colonists when I get out of a bizarre spell of RNG that has seen 60% difficulty guys sitting in fairly nice cells for 20 days even though they're well wardened.

I've also set up a nice corridor of traps with turrets waiting at the end for the ancient danger that causes glitchy friendlies to show up. Once I see those guys again I should be able to claim all the stuff in there without firing a shot. Who volunteers to deconstruct the wall at the end of the tunnel?

I have 5 sniper rifles, too! I killed a centipede by staying out of range with my 5 best guys and plinking away at it, it worked great!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So a few lessons learned from my current playthrough.

Tiberium anything is still super rare. Finishing up year two and still nothing on the map. Some crazy rear end guns from raiders, that's about it so far.

Boreal forest makes hunting difficult because a pissed off pack of caribou or elk will hammer someone into the ground like a tent pole and unless you're rocking cybernetics you are not going to out run them. RIP Engie my construction/shooter. They stay together in herds all the time too so one revenge event means someone is going down unless you take the entire colony out to go hunting periodically, or more amusingly go "hunting" with mortars at night when they're asleep. Random wandering huskies are really cool though, super easy to get a pack of them trained up and they're better haulers than boars.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

I'm pretty sure the multi-analyzer only works once per bench, so all but one might not work for anything requiring that. Also what's the other devices in your lab? the giant AI core looking things, I don't know what they are but I want them

EDIT: speaking of poo poo I don't recognize but want, what is THIS thing?

Danaru fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 19, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Coolguye posted:

Only downside is that you burn up all their free stuff.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Only downside is that you burn up all their free stuff.

Keeps colony wealth down! :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man some of those mods get pretty nuts. I'm not looking forward to what Randy is gonna throw at me this time :catstare:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Keeps colony wealth down! :v:

at the point where you're planting IEDs and all that nonsense the affect to colony wealth is practically academic. until you install IEDs, the only time a fire will occur is if you were about to have a breach that releases hostiles into your main compound.

i will happily sacrifice a clutch of lovely weapons and corpse clothes to keep a group of hostiles organized enough to take down a turret in the murder hallway out of my compound.

e: i guess it would also happen when some dumb motherfucker throws a molotov at one of your turrets in which case lol tho

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 19, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah I mean the time it would take to have people go out and haul the poo poo etc and wait for a trader to sell it I could have someone just pumping out flake at a drug lab instead and make more cash.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’d miss the ability to recruit someone or steal the clothing off a near-dead pawn, but I’m still going to implement that defensive line.

Holy poo poo the MR-5 rifle from Orion Glittertech mod makes quick work of tribal raids!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Managed to sort my poo poo out when it comes to dealing with psychic/poison ships. Took my time, installed three turrets on the side facing away from my base, equipped my best shooters with sniper rifles and set them juuuust inside 45 tiles from the ship and all my others inside good cover with escape routes if they started advancing. It was only two centipedes but they didn't even fire a shot at my guys before they were downed. I might not even lose a turret if my firefighters are quick!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Did they change it so that mechs pop out of a ship just by getting close? Told a dude to build a bunch of IED's around a ship and I'm not sure if they popped out from him going near or if one went off accidentally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They changed it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I think they pop out if you build on the squares directly around the ship.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can still get away with building a pop up wall with a trio of turrets in front of it and a battery behind it which is how you handle basically every fallen ship piece ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Warmachine posted:

I can never get a nicely scaled screenshot of my base, how'd you do it?

Yeah I'm real dumb