Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's really annoying but hostile animals automatically path around traps if possible and simply step through them mostly safely if not - there is a chance predators can trip them but it's small. Without a mod that tinkers with predator AI (and there is one, but it hasn't updated) this is the alternative:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736483249
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1215814659

These two mods together. First one makes it so your colonists simply don't trigger traps at all, the second one adds a special animal trap that predators are not exempt from. If you only take the first one, predators will walk through your traps, which is pretty dumb; if you only take the second one, your colonists will hit these and frequently die. It is a bit cheesy but on the other hand the vanilla predator behavior is dumb as gently caress.

e: and duh, the vanilla alternative is build walls and doors and keep the doors closed, that works too of course.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
not cleanly.

traps have two detection modes: hostile and non-hostile. you can change the non-hostile trigger percentage to something higher but that will affect everything, including your own colonists.

my suggestion would be to build a turret and johnny-on-the-spot the turret with a battery. the turret can be manually directed to fire on the cougar from there. set up a crossfire with the one guy who has the survival rifle and it'll go down lickety split.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well you can also just draft a bunch of dudes and beat the cougar to death even if you have lovely weapons, and deal with whatever damage you take :shrug:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Well you can also just draft a bunch of dudes and beat the cougar to death even if you have lovely weapons, and deal with whatever damage you take :shrug:

this is my preferred option but make sure you gather them all first or they will trickle in and get picked off 1 by 1

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I got that mod that gives you an alert when your colonist is targeted by an animal and it's great. You actually get a chance to defend yourself.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if they did "real" graphics and a nice manual that explained everything this'd be a $60 title, easily

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

yep, a cougar is not actually that dangerous in the grand scheme of things (they're no bear, elephant, or rhino) but the context seemed to be "how can i not get squirreled" so i tried to answer it from that perspective

also, "squirreled" is a verb now. i have decreed it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unfortunately Tynan's said that he wants the graphical style to remain simple, easy to make, and clear in expressing what's going on. So we're probably stuck with the Prison Architect graphics mods will fix it

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My only issue with the graphics is that they weren't anime girls in maid outfits, but modders got my back.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

boar guy posted:

create a new animal zone by right clicking on the zones button in the architect interface and selecting 'manage zones'
draw out the area you don't want them to be in
click to invert that zone
assign the animals you want kept out of it to the new zone
bear in mind that if you have unforbidden zones with forbidden zones in between them, animals will cross the forbidden zones

And put one storage square somewhere else for them as a food trough that has higher priority than your cooler and only accepts whatever you feed them. That'll keep all surplus pet food stored out of their reach but colonists will always top up the animals feeding area.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm totally fine with the graphical style actually, to me it's just right.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

oh the gfx are by no means a dealbreaker but i'd love to see things be a little more animated/detailed, is all. like, the mod that adds pool cues for pawns to hold when they shoot pool. even moving to an isometric perspective would kinda f things up, though

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm totally fine with the graphical style actually, to me it's just right.

It at least needs its own flavour of the style rather than being just borrowed assets from prison architect. But I wouldn't go overboard. You're right though, a mad rabbit savaging half the colony is funnier to read while watching little icons bop eachother than watch in some attempt at realism. It might be nice to have something like in DF where you can render it a little nicer as an option but I don't think I'd get into it as much if it was full on like the sims, no matter how impressive it would look. Rimworld is a choose your own adventure book written with fridge magnets and markov chains and i love reading it. Its absolutely in the spirit of DF and caters to a special demographic of D&D nerds with no friends.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We celebrate Aleph's first birthday :3:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A birthday party in the sacrificial prisoner quarters, how cute.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

wit posted:

It at least needs its own flavour of the style rather than being just borrowed assets from prison architect.

What? Rimworld doesn't borrow assets. They are very similar looking, but when compared side by side each have their own definitive style.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Aleph now has a beautiful baby sister! :glomp:

bird food bathtub posted:

A birthday party in the sacrificial prisoner quarters, how cute.

It's OK we mopped up the blood and puke first :shrug:

e: Seriously it's very much not ideal because eventually one of the prisoners is going to flip out and hurt the children, plus I need to construct a school (that is tbh the more interesting feature of that particular mod), I just haven't had crafter time to make bricks yet because they're all busy making clothing :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The art style was, I believe, explicitly nicked from PA though so it certainly borrows that if not the literal assets.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Who cares, its a good style for a game like this.

It feels like complaining Stardew Valley looks too much like a Harvest Moon game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who cares, its a good style for a game like this.

It feels like complaining Stardew Valley looks too much like a Harvest Moon game.

:same:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My assumption (I could be wrong) is by keeping the graphics simple, it makes it easier to scale things up to a bigger scale. I'm sure there's a term for this, but the one I use is 'Minecraft performance' ; sure everything looks rather 8-bit but in contrast that 8-bit world occupies a 1:1: scale city-state the size of Delaware.

I do agree it would be nice to have more animations, though it sounds like that isn't really what the developer wants. It would be interesting to see how resource-taxing a game like this would be if it had Stardew Valley levels of animations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rimworld's graphics are basically programmer graphics with a bit more effort put into them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Beaver, mother of two, just got caught outside the compound by a flock of manhunter emus :ohdear:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The other pregnancy mod was rumored to be updated shortly, which when it is, that’s definitely getting added.

I haven’t decided yet if I want to control population growth or just let people keep going until things start to go crazy and I rage/sad quit when the kids start starving.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wit posted:

And put one storage square somewhere else for them as a food trough that has higher priority than your cooler and only accepts whatever you feed them. That'll keep all surplus pet food stored out of their reach but colonists will always top up the animals feeding area.

i usually do a roofed 6 by 6 for kibble only

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
thanks for the info on traps!

Flesh Forge posted:

new colony, of my three colonists one couldn't do violent stuff at all, the other two have literally zero points in melee and 1 and 4 in shooting, respectively :v: i immediately walled off my home area and installed traps in the only corridor leading in, and that was enough for the early ambushes, but dealing with predators doesn't work that way.

also despite having doors for my people to leave, one of them decided to walk through one of the traps, immediately triggered it and had his head taken clean off :negative:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dumb poo poo like that, if it wasn't from me designing wrong, I have no problems save scumming for.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The pathing mod would (probably) prevent a re-occurrence of that. Pathing is unfortunately one of the games weakest points.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Speaking of weak points, if you have a map that swings from really really hot to really really cold, that is incredibly loving annoying, you have to micromanage people's outfits every season. I have pools of both warm and cold weather gear but many of them just won't change clothes unless forced :shrug:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Really? I've never noticed a problem with the clothing like that. My dudes walk into the closet and swap out parkas for dusters when appropriate on their own.

I always thought it was cute :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not these, it's not even that hot :shrug:

e: several of them just died, rip

I give up, I could fix that colony eventually but the temperature swing thing isn't very fun to micromanage with a large population :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 14, 2017

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
My God what mod is that?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Medical Tab:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817
Extremely good UI mod, it does a lot more than just show you health stats in a nice table.

Gonna start another mostly-water map but with Raiders Can Swim so I don't have to cheese too much placing a bunch of bridges, they (and we) will have to swim where we need to be:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914671373

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Medical Tab:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817
Extremely good UI mod, it does a lot more than just show you health stats in a nice table.

Gonna start another mostly-water map but with Raiders Can Swim so I don't have to cheese too much placing a bunch of bridges, they (and we) will have to swim where we need to be:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914671373
I bet you'll still be able to manage it since it looks like deep water movement speed is 4.2%.

I'm picturing a group of angry raiders swimming ever slowly towards your base while your colonists patiently pick them off in the water. Post your careful shooters up on the river bank and let em rip.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

What? Rimworld doesn't borrow assets. They are very similar looking, but when compared side by side each have their own definitive style.

Turns out you're right Gadzuko, he just copied them with PA's blessing years ago rather than being given the assets themselves.

Flesh Forge posted:

Speaking of weak points, if you have a map that swings from really really hot to really really cold, that is incredibly loving annoying, you have to micromanage people's outfits every season. I have pools of both warm and cold weather gear but many of them just won't change clothes unless forced :shrug:

Make uniforms for winter, summer and battles. Saves on their wear and tear too and you can change people up really quickly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Unfortunately:

So he got an artist and decided to keep the style.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The pregnancy mod with babies has updated to B18, looks like it integrates into saves. But it's also one of the few mods I add where I completely change what I research first... drug production... for contraceptives.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28747.0

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

wit posted:

Turns out you're right Gadzuko, he just copied them with PA's blessing years ago rather than being given the assets themselves.

Well, yeah. No offense but here's PA:

Compare to any of the Rimworld screens on this page. It's really not close. And lol at the idea that Tynan would have been able to just straight up steal art from PA and repackage it for his game without anybody raising a fuss.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Unfortunately:

So he got an artist and decided to keep the style.

I agree with his assessment. I like DF tileset style pixel art but Rimworld is just more readable at a glance and more fun to watch. 3d art is great when it's done right but it requires either a AAA budget or something like Banished, which I think was actually made by a 3d artist who decided to make his own game. It works because it's nice and sedate and you never have to react to any fast action.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I was going to suggest one graphical improvement for the game it would be some updates to the light shader, possibly with shadowing. And the introduction of directional lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If there's any dev team that would respond positively to borrowing their art assets for a prototype, it's introversion. They're impossibly cool folks