Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Raiders showed up just after we cleared out another ancient danger. A few colonists did a delaying action on the raiders, and as they were sappers, they would withdraw after a brief fight. Allowed me to get behind my embrasures.

They came up to the eastern wall and dug out a section of natural rock and started to flood through, in range of my defenders. Two raiders had miniguns.

Raider Kimiko took down 3 of the 5 raiders via friendly fire since they'd all go to that spot to try and shoot my defenders. Thanks, friend. One of her volleys actually triggered them to flee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Muffalo and alpaca wool dusters are good from (off the top of my head) around -50 to 130, which is good all year round in temperate forest even during a cold snap. No changing and no work penalty.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I was being dumb/stubborn and trying to stick with the outergear from Medieval Times, dusters are way better.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Exactly, that's the not-fun part. It can work but it's really tedious to manually do a shitload of clicking every few minutes and I like having a high population so it only gets worse :shrug:

Re: dealing with Medieval Times raiders, make some traps, kill some and use their poo poo until you can make better poo poo. I also kind of recommend the mending mod because stuff falls apart so fast, although Medieval Times has an "endgame" path to making indestructible gear or you can simply trade for it.

I like playing on medium difficulty but I ran into an issue rather quickly which was having all these sets of weapons and armors and clothing just lying around looking terrible. I really wish there was a closet mod or something so I don't have to look at all the ugly clutter on the floor making my base look like a bunch of hoarders. Storage tips?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

HeartNotes3 posted:

I like playing on medium difficulty but I ran into an issue rather quickly which was having all these sets of weapons and armors and clothing just lying around looking terrible. I really wish there was a closet mod or something so I don't have to look at all the ugly clutter on the floor making my base look like a bunch of hoarders. Storage tips?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180720623

This might be what you're looking for.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

HeartNotes3 posted:

Yeah, use this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=895944018

Unless you want to hide the items entirely, in which case just build some dressers or end tables they can jam their stuff in?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

oh poo poo, that's neat

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Change dresser didn’t used to count the items in there as part of clothing counts, so I ended up with 20 dusters before I realized it. Has that changed?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Smelt/burn/recycle anything tagged "worn by corpse", anything you're going to keep you can put on shelves (or if it's ugly, in a box or dresser). The vanilla dressers and endtables are not containers, but the ones in More Furniture are:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1191518527

Here we are on the big island at the four year anniversary :kiddo:

Just surviving and moving everything to the central island was a giant project but now we have a nice prison building and a very secure "welcome mat"

Swamp Temple of Flowers, I decided to go with two gods (Dagon isn't really super exciting except for gobs of resources)
Services for Dagon in the morning and Hastur in the evening :cthulhu:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 15, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why so many tables in the prisoner area?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
aaaaaa the loving cougar that refused to trigger the traps just ate my doctor :mad:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Flesh Forge posted:

Day 140: HUGE STOCKPILE FIRE :supaburn:

actually kind of a good thing because I have too much stuff

dude you gotta get one of the XL bigger stack mods. I hated having extremely immense warehouses for stacks of 25 herbal medicines. now im all about that piled high

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

botany posted:

aaaaaa the loving cougar that refused to trigger the traps just ate my doctor :mad:

lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

EmbryoSteve posted:

dude you gotta get one of the XL bigger stack mods. I hated having extremely immense warehouses for stacks of 25 herbal medicines. now im all about that piled high

I wouldn't mind a mod that let standard storage items (crates, boxes, shelves) store a multiplicative number of items, but left floor-items the same. Would encourage building storage solutions, for which there isn't really an incentive currently.

But yea, I agree with you, it's good and messy, eat it with a fork, onions piled high, etc

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Extended Storage. That is what you want.

There are different variations of storage options. Wooden pallets store something like 600% more stuff, metal skips 900% more - but they're focused on resources. Wood baskets, fabric hampers, medicine cabinets, meal tray racks...

And then there is a clothing rack that you can store something like 6-7 clothing items of the same flavor (pants in one rack, shirts in another). They all are 1x2 and can be made of different materials.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

First time playing after about a year out, all vanilla, everything random, no rerolls.

3 colonists start, about day 6 or so food is running low. Think "OK I'll just hunt one of those caribou, that should be fine..."

Think we can all guess how that turned out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

AceClown posted:

First time playing after about a year out, all vanilla, everything random, no rerolls.

3 colonists start, about day 6 or so food is running low. Think "OK I'll just hunt one of those caribou, that should be fine..."

Think we can all guess how that turned out.

close your door

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Why so many tables in the prisoner area?

I build a bunch and throw away the lovely ones, just keep the top quality one.

e: fully furnished:

each of the little white nightstands is a container that has a fresh tribalwear in it, so I can strip any prisoners and they'll just put on the new piece when they wake up, we're not MONSTERS

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 15, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

close your door

I did, fuckers smashed through it

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I did, and when the pop was below 10 it wasn't thaaaaat big a deal, but when you get to 15+ people it's a hell of a lot of clicking, it stopped being fun :shrug:
Its 30 clicks since they're drop downs twice a year. In the same window! C'mon are you a pussy or a real micromanaging weirdo like the rest of us? ;)

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I build a bunch and throw away the lovely ones, just keep the top quality one.

e: fully furnished:

each of the little white nightstands is a container that has a fresh tribalwear in it, so I can strip any prisoners and they'll just put on the new piece when they wake up, we're not MONSTERS

Get the quality builder mod!! It makes the builder mark anything below X quality for deconstruction immediately and puts the blueprint down again to start over.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Extended Storage. That is what you want.

There are different variations of storage options. Wooden pallets store something like 600% more stuff, metal skips 900% more - but they're focused on resources. Wood baskets, fabric hampers, medicine cabinets, meal tray racks...

And then there is a clothing rack that you can store something like 6-7 clothing items of the same flavor (pants in one rack, shirts in another). They all are 1x2 and can be made of different materials.

You can fine tune that mod so that the items like food in small stacks only get doubled but the things like hay or wood can store 10 times as much. Which is good because a bale of hay is not just a couple of bites, they're at least the same size as cattle ffs. Weird trick I've been using on the subject. Some of my animals are random haulers and my animal feeding is set higher priority than the cooler so they get taken out and topped up. Colonists are banned from the feeding squares to stop them making GBS threads themselves and hauling a mouthful of hay back into the sacred haybales to keep them topped up forever. Only hauling animals are allowed there and to the hay part in the cooler. So the dogs feed the muffalo, but because its random they don't sweat it so they get topped off every few days. Good dogges.

E: I'm mixed up, its actually Stacks XXL I'm using not Extended Storage. Stack Merger should almost always be installed with that (or even just by itself as it makes your colonists fill up an item stack completely instead of having storage areas with 12, 75, 43 wood stacks as a low priority hauling job). Actually, heres just a list of the mods I have installed. More detail bodies and all the hair or clothes ones could be ignorable, I just like more unique looking colonists. As could the androids one. Every other one is an improvement to the game or a QOL tweak that doesn't feel like a flat out cheat except Shield generators, that mod is bullshit strong.

wit fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 15, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

wit posted:

Get the quality builder mod!! It makes the builder mark anything below X quality for deconstruction immediately and puts the blueprint down again to start over.

Is that out? Good, I missed it, thanks.

Customers!!

Wooden traps are good y'all

although adobe walls are not, oops

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wit posted:

You can fine tune that mod so that the items like food in small stacks only get doubled but the things like hay or wood can store 10 times as much. Which is good because a bale of hay is not just a couple of bites, they're at least the same size as cattle ffs. Weird trick I've been using on the subject. Some of my animals are random haulers and my animal feeding is set higher priority than the cooler so they get taken out and topped up. Colonists are banned from the feeding squares to stop them making GBS threads themselves and hauling a mouthful of hay back into the sacred haybales to keep them topped up forever. Only hauling animals are allowed there and to the hay part in the cooler. So the dogs feed the muffalo, but because its random they don't sweat it so they get topped off every few days. Good dogges.

You can also download Rimworld Search Agency which has a lovely slider you can toggle on stockpiles to tell them to only fill once they've reached a certain % depleted. Used to be called Hauling Hysteresis, was melded into the RSA mod.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So i did an archipelago map and a trade caravan came through. They all hung out at the only land bridge and a raid came and downed a couple. I saved them but it triggered flee in terror or something. Well they didnt flee at that point they start dropping of malnutrition. I then get in a loop where they dont stay down long enough to feed them enough to fix it, so they never leave. Its pretty hilarious and sad these terrified prisoners with no walls ahahaha.

Well anyways ive recruited the good ones. Any suggestions on the rest? Will they ever get out of this cycle? I can barely make meals fast enough so its halted progress. Itll be awhile before i play again so this save will be abandoned but im curious what my options were to deal with this. They dropped all the good loot the first time they go down and my colony was teetering on mental breaks so i think a bunch of dead bodies esp of their ex mates would have been a disaster.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

So i did an archipelago map and a trade caravan came through. They all hung out at the only land bridge and a raid came and downed a couple. I saved them but it triggered flee in terror or something. Well they didnt flee at that point they start dropping of malnutrition. I then get in a loop where they dont stay down long enough to feed them enough to fix it, so they never leave. Its pretty hilarious and sad these terrified prisoners with no walls ahahaha.

Well anyways ive recruited the good ones. Any suggestions on the rest? Will they ever get out of this cycle? I can barely make meals fast enough so its halted progress. Itll be awhile before i play again so this save will be abandoned but im curious what my options were to deal with this. They dropped all the good loot the first time they go down and my colony was teetering on mental breaks so i think a bunch of dead bodies esp of their ex mates would have been a disaster.

Let em die, if your colony is starving its better being known as fucktown, rimworld usa and taking a faction hit than exchanging your guys for those morons. I can't remember if its the base game or the hospitality mod but traders prompt me with a window if theres something dangerous that makes them shaky about coming to town and I can warn away or offer safe passage. I only get it for things like megaspider caves they have to travel through to get there.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There are a few mods out there that allow repairing of weapons - anybody use those and have a favorite?

I get bothered by the 99% charge rifle. :(

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I know it would be more efficient to mod it but I just love seeing my poo poo laid everywhere too much. Apart from when you don't get a trader for months and end up building a cathedral-sized room to store your 15,000 rice.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

There are a few mods out there that allow repairing of weapons - anybody use those and have a favorite?

I get bothered by the 99% charge rifle. :(

This is the one I use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735241897

It requires you to make "kits" (basically fuel gradually consumed by repairing stuff) out of steel and cotton cloth, which are loaded into the bench by haulers and then there are various bills to specify what type of gear should be repaired, with filters for item names and quality/wear (e.g. you can set it to only repair things below 95%, above superb quality etc).

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Walton Simons posted:

I know it would be more efficient to mod it but I just love seeing my poo poo laid everywhere too much. Apart from when you don't get a trader for months and end up building a cathedral-sized room to store your 15,000 rice.

It only really bugs me when i do caves. The mod that adds the job to reorganize the stacks if a pawn isnt busy is all ive used and its does the trick for me. It should definetly be stock imo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the huge stockpile with dozens of single unit stacks really bugs me :argh:

Glory to the immortal founders :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 16, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Looks like rainbeau removed the faction regions option from whatever it was on and made it a seperate mod with a bunch of other options. I had just used it a day or two ago so i was pretty confused.

E:actually it looks like the same options to me so i guess he just made it a seperate mod.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 16, 2017

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
where's the list of hot mods to have?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I got into this again - and it seems that survival ration production is essential to getting longer caravans going! However, I set up a nutripaste unit+hoppers, and even though my characters often put food in the hoppers, no nutripaste comes out - at least, it's placed nowhere I can see it.

How do I get nutripaste out and stored, so I can turn it into survival meals?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

where's the list of hot mods to have?

Steam workshop, order by most popular or most subscribed. Then flick through the first 15 pages or so going "ooh, yes please" and clicking sub. Don't forget to keep the framework mods up at the top of the mod load order in game itself.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
My colony's chef almost died when 6 cargo pods smashed through the kitchen's roof and shredded her body. What was in the pods? 196 pieces, or ~6kg of cat meat

What even is this game

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

My colony's chef almost died when 6 cargo pods smashed through the kitchen's roof and shredded her body. What was in the pods? 196 pieces, or ~6kg of cat meat

What even is this game

Please rename him "pussy magnet". TIA.

e: her.

wit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 16, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Have not seen a tornado before. Neither did my windmill, half my crops, a baby boomalope, my two male iguanas and a few bedrooms.

It was like some kind of psychopathic, bleeding and dismembered Wizard of Oz.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Trading caravan reeeeeeeeeeeeally wants to get to me. The hottest deals! :supaburn:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The colony second-born picked a fight with the first-born and in a shocking twist, the elder baby did some kind of atomic smash dim mak death punch thing:

I didn't notice right away because there were two raids going on back to back and I have the children restricted to a safe area so I didn't figure they could really get into trouble but :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What pregnancy mod do you use? And how fast do the kids age, is it actual time?