Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wool nerf mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204148499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just vanilla clothing and medieval times. Heat stroke still happens but it's slow enough that pawns just limp into the fridge and hang out a bit then move on. I don't even have to order anything.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm kind of tempted by that seeds mod. Lots of mods give you ways to solve problems more easily than the vanilla game so having a lot of mods running means that you can be nigh-unstoppable once you get established (have you seen my new NRG-7 a raider kindly left us?). Might be less soul-destroying now the blights spread over time (I'm still on A17 so I don't know what it's like) and it'll make keeping the power supply to your greenhouse/hydroponics reaaal important.

One mod I like is the one that prevents it automatically raining when there's a wildfire. Flashstorms are No Joke now.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I dislike playing on permanent summer maps (farming is OP) but really hate the way grass regrows after winters. It starts creeping from the edges of the map at a snail's pace instead of like.. growing everywhere. So I have to plant huge fields of grass for my muffalo herd :( I wonder if there's a mod for this.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I've noticed that too and yeah it's very distracting, I don't know of a mod for it but I'll ask Rainbeau about that.
e: Made it through our first winter! If there hadn't been some fairly steady elks and caribou we wouldn't have though

Boreal forest is really about my favorite biome :allears:

e: yeah now I can't not notice that grow-from-the-edges thing :argh:

e: Cold snap wiped me out and I'm realizing I really don't like how Seeds Please is working out :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 18, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Boreal is my favorite as well :hfive:

Also returning to the grass thing, planted grass doesn't seem spread like the grass growing from the edges does. I just want to be a medieval winter muffalo herder damnit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it's really noticeable, it also applies to all the harvestable stuff like berries and healroot :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm playing on a large (350x350) Boreal map and I noticed that too. not only does it take forever for the undergrowth to make progress (and its almost winter again!) but the lack of grazing ground seems to keep most of the larger wildlife away for much of the year.

Maybe if the rate of growth/spread was upgraded. Or maybe if instead of dying off some just got "Frozen" and thawed out after winter or something.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's the kind of thing Rainbeau likes to fix, he'll probably look at it :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're the kind of rear end in a top hat that gets bothered by a bunch of computer touchers and phone wipers knowing how to build electric generators out of garbage, here is the mod for you:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=913328080 Crashlanded Know Nothing :derp:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Trogdos! posted:

I dislike playing on permanent summer maps (farming is OP) but really hate the way grass regrows after winters. It starts creeping from the edges of the map at a snail's pace instead of like.. growing everywhere. So I have to plant huge fields of grass for my muffalo herd :( I wonder if there's a mod for this.

Good news, then: Ludeon have already re-written the grass-growing algorithm for B19, for exactly that reason

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh fine then

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Have they said if the update schedule will speed up now that it is in beta? Normally B19 would be like 5 months out.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

I've got a question about Research and how tech levels work.

If you're researching things that are above your "tech level", they cost significantly more, but does your tech level ever go up? Or will my Tribals always have like x300% research cost for "spacer" level tech researches?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Tech levels never go up, it's just based off whatever your faction tech level is.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's a mod that allows tech advancement.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735268789

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Have they said if the update schedule will speed up now that it is in beta? Normally B19 would be like 5 months out.

Tynan actually says "The plant reproduction algorithm has been reworked for the next release" which might mean a minor patch type thing :shrug:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Amperor posted:

I've got a question about Research and how tech levels work.

If you're researching things that are above your "tech level", they cost significantly more, but does your tech level ever go up? Or will my Tribals always have like x300% research cost for "spacer" level tech researches?

You will always be neolithic, even when you've researched the entire tech tree.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

Tynan actually says "The plant reproduction algorithm has been reworked for the next release" which might mean a minor patch type thing :shrug:

Hahahaha no, he left that nearly gamebreaking ancient danger bug in the game for half a year, he's not releasing a hotfix to make plants grow faster.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

You will always be neolithic, even when you've researched the entire tech tree.

To me that's a selling point, even with tribals I still feel like research for the later stuff is too fast. E.g. I don't know why Tynan bothered to add tiers of gun tech research because it takes more time to craft one gun than it does to research the next tier.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Miningco Ships has an odd bug where sometimes an expedition will drop down to use your landing pad, but instead of dropping off a team, they pay you 0 silver, and then the ship just slowly takes off and creates a game-laggingly huge cloud of dust particles until you use debug mode to destroy the pad :shepface: Apparently it's a known issue and only crops up rarely, but heads up just in case.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Flesh Forge posted:

To me that's a selling point, even with tribals I still feel like research for the later stuff is too fast. E.g. I don't know why Tynan bothered to add tiers of gun tech research because it takes more time to craft one gun than it does to research the next tier.
I like having slower research for the first year or two but it gets kinda tedious waiting around for stuff to finish once you're into the end of the tech tree. If the upgrading tech level mod left you one level behind what it does now it'd be perfect I think.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm playing on a large (350x350) Boreal map and I noticed that too. not only does it take forever for the undergrowth to make progress (and its almost winter again!) but the lack of grazing ground seems to keep most of the larger wildlife away for much of the year.

Maybe if the rate of growth/spread was upgraded. Or maybe if instead of dying off some just got "Frozen" and thawed out after winter or something.

Give this a try:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1228372243&searchtext=

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

BTW the camping stuff mod is actually up and running again.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1234361720

This mod is simply fantastic for anyone who enjoys caravaning or running mining groups.

It works perfectly and doesn't break anything in the game with respect to balance. I really missed it during 17.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh heck yes, I always hated setting up butchering tables and cutting down trees to put doors into ruins when I needed a place to stay.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Medieval Times, Tribal Essentials, or both?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Trogdos! posted:

The trick is to restrict your grazers to a checkerboard pattern that leaves healthy grass untouched. Grass must be fully grown to start radiating out new grass; if you eat all the grass then it can only reseed from the map edge.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, even if you start with 5 tribals who are dumber than the wood logs they build their first shelter with, getting all the research done isn't actually an issue. I've never felt like I needed to make any meaningful decision about what to research next or whether it would get done in time. Especially since 4 people is enough to build up a colony so you can just attach a research room to the smartest person's bedroom and have meals delivered.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

New Butt Order posted:

Yeah, even if you start with 5 tribals who are dumber than the wood logs they build their first shelter with, getting all the research done isn't actually an issue. I've never felt like I needed to make any meaningful decision about what to research next or whether it would get done in time. Especially since 4 people is enough to build up a colony so you can just attach a research room to the smartest person's bedroom and have meals delivered.
I've been playing through a tribal start with 25% research speed. It's a lot more pressure that way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's more like it, I'll do that with my scenario. I also turned ship part crashes back on but I might regret that.

e: Starting with research speed at 1/5th is much better, for one thing the Cult research stuff actually drove my researchers nuts and another it took so long to unlock a god that the cult-mindedness stat actually mattered (one of the colonists turned hostile to the researcher on the topic and beat the poo poo out of him)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 19, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Been through 3 "lone survivor" starts that ended in disaster before I found out they introduced self treatments in A17...

Maybe I should read some patch notes

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

misguided rage posted:

I like having slower research for the first year or two but it gets kinda tedious waiting around for stuff to finish once you're into the end of the tech tree. If the upgrading tech level mod left you one level behind what it does now it'd be perfect I think.
You can configure the conditions for tech advancement in the mod options. I like the default settings just fine, but I think the whole package is pretty flexible.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Trogdos! posted:

My boreal forest map looks like a wasteland after the first winter due to nothing ever growing back.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1228372243

Might help? It causes grass to spread faster. But grass takes such a long time to grow and the growing seasons are so short that the game doesn't really feel like it's equipped to deal with winter without every region that gets snow turning into a tundra after a certain amount of time. Especially if you get a toxic fallout event which basically condemns any vegetation not directly adjacent to the map borders.

Which is a shame as boreal forests and the like make for fun tribal challenges in addition to looking very pretty for about one year.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can seed some grass with Wild Cultivation and it does spread from there :shrug:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

He stated that he's already planting grass.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I was addressing you actually :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just had to reload a save after gaining like 4 colonists because a poison ship landed right outside my base and i couldn't take on the robots and they wouldn'[t follow my colonists back to somewhere they could fight more safely

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

They should unleash from the ship once you get it below 50% health, unless it has been changed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jose posted:

Just had to reload a save after gaining like 4 colonists because a poison ship landed right outside my base and i couldn't take on the robots and they wouldn'[t follow my colonists back to somewhere they could fight more safely

Crashed mechanoid ships can be real tough, especially if you get one early on a tribal game. What did you have access to in terms of guns / technology / number of combat-capable colonists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They came out instantly. I was an idiot with firing on it and thought the firepower would be enough without using trees for cover