Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Normal colonists get a mood penalty for human leather iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They do.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

The mending mod cleans up the deadman designation when something is repaired. I'm imagining they're just washing the blood and puke off it.

I think only psychopaths enjoy human leather clothes. maybe cannibals but I'm not sure

Bloodthirsty and cannibals. Per piece of clothing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think psychopaths actually are bothered by it. It is rather gauche.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

I have further refined my drug rehab getaway spa concept slightly.

Since I love mountainous boreal forest maps for my home base, I am constantly in need of wood since it grows so slowly at home. I mostly use this wood to make chemfuel to power my jet fleet. The new swamps suck for a base, but they have a literally endless supply of tree matter.

So, instead of simply wasting fuel flying these degenerates back and forth to the clinic, I am instead sending them to the Betty Ford Re-education Camp and Chemfuel Refinery Fun Spa!

That way, they get to be productive and make gas out of trees all loving day while robots cut them down and haul them back and tend to their every need except for social interaction.

Look at this ungrateful little fucker. I drop from the sky to rescue this snot nosed teenager from a prison in the middle of nowhere surrounded by turrets and angry pirates, and as soon as the plane touches land he bee-lines right for the go-juice and gets addicted like an idiot. Now he's constantly breaking down and throwing tantrums and collapsing in the hallways. Off to the gas plant spa for you little buddy!

Now they get to earn their ride home, unless they have at least 5-6k fuel stockpiled, the plane's not coming.

Fuckin hell this kid lead a hard life. Killed by a red fox after being downed on the first swipe. His rescurer (via drop pod) was just a few seconds too late.

:smith:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So what's your guys' favorite way of getting mechanoids out of ancient dangers? I had a sniper break down one of the walls from a distance with a couple of EMP IEDs in front of the hole, but they just wouldn't come out, they'd just take cover on the wall and take random shots at my guys. And my sniper could never get a shot through the hole at anything inside. Also one of the centipedes had an inferno cannon so I couldn't get close to the hole to shoot in.

After a while I just gave up and started dropping EMP mortar shells on them, but something happened and all the cryo caskets got destroyed, the guys in them were mostly alive but downed, and a bunch of megascarabs appeared and started fighting the mechanoids and downed humans. Also for some reason everything was on fire. Can EMPs make caskets explode?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Weapon fire can open caskets - I assume a shell hit a casket and caused it to pop, and then the inferno cannon got launched once.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Moose posted:

something happened and all the cryo caskets got destroyed, the guys in them were mostly alive but downed, and a bunch of megascarabs appeared and started fighting the mechanoids and downed humans. Also for some reason everything was on fire.

Rimworld.txt

wit
Jul 26, 2011

A Moose posted:

So what's your guys' favorite way of getting mechanoids out of ancient dangers? I had a sniper break down one of the walls from a distance with a couple of EMP IEDs in front of the hole, but they just wouldn't come out, they'd just take cover on the wall and take random shots at my guys. And my sniper could never get a shot through the hole at anything inside. Also one of the centipedes had an inferno cannon so I couldn't get close to the hole to shoot in.

After a while I just gave up and started dropping EMP mortar shells on them, but something happened and all the cryo caskets got destroyed, the guys in them were mostly alive but downed, and a bunch of megascarabs appeared and started fighting the mechanoids and downed humans. Also for some reason everything was on fire. Can EMPs make caskets explode?

I build temporary barracades around the outside. Sythers seem to get completely owned by being shot at in opposite directions right out the gate, and with centipedes I have melee pawns disarm them up close. They don't take much kiting. If I open it and its only caskets, I'll turn the whole room into an embrasured shooting gallery and send in someone fast to open them, normally means I get to keep all the caskets intact and the firefight is over quick enough to rescue the kiting pawn if they manage to get downed. Once I actually just built a little prison around them already. Preparation costs nothing, its not like the ancient danger is going anywhere.

e:typo

wit fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 20, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Poison ships with thirty centipedes and a dozen Scythers are a little hairier, since they usually land in the middle of my farm.

Walls are a little tougher then, but at least you can shell those ones.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I find entertaining how thrumbos care so much for the wealth of your colony. One thrumbo you are dirt poor, he wants to poo poo in your fields and eats your crops and there isn't much you can do. Two thrumbos, they are just looking at the tasty mushrooms behind your wall but can't reach them. Three thrumbos, those ones got a death wish, your colony is rich and powerful enough to hunt them.

They all went down one by one, not caring about their brethren dying next to them. Greatbows are pretty great.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I want to say it's super entertaining to have the floor pixel drawings, especially after i belabored the dickbutt. It's now mandatory for every base to have some sort of feature.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The droids mod is... interesting. It's definitely op, you can basically strip mine a regular sized map if you just keep producing droids. That said, the droid upkeep gets pretty steep so there's a clock ticking down. You could keep a droid horde up if you don't mind hopping from map to map scouring everything. It also balances out by giving you 50+ man raids within like 6 hours of starting a colony.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The droids mod is... interesting. It's definitely op, you can basically strip mine a regular sized map if you just keep producing droids. That said, the droid upkeep gets pretty steep so there's a clock ticking down. You could keep a droid horde up if you don't mind hopping from map to map scouring everything. It also balances out by giving you 50+ man raids within like 6 hours of starting a colony.

Oh yeah. Each droid is a pawn, so if you go nuts making a droid army things are going to get crazy quick. And god forbid one of them dies. The explosion usually takes out some enemies though. Or, at least, I try to suicide damaged droids. I had one go down in a Forgotten raid, and when they pushed close enough, I hit the self destruct button.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk if it was the suicide or if an enemy had an mega launcher of some sort, but i accidentally ran a drone through a big raid, it got downed so I figured fuckit and hit suicide and it downed a quarter of the raid and damaged half of the rest. Oddly, I kinda like the mod.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The self destruct is honestly probably too powerful. God forbid a droid squad is too close together when one goes off.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Has Save Our Ship been updated yet?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Coolguye posted:

flak vests definitely count as deadman armor if you pull them off a corpse. this will not stop your pawns from putting them on and being unhappy about it forever.

ask me how i know this.

There is a mod for that and I use it. I get a malus for wearing a dead guys plague underwear or bullet ridden bloody shirt, but body armor? Nah. If there was a situation that warranted it—like I was living in a small colony of people in the middle of nowhere attacked by roving hordes of people with guns every few days—I would have no problem wearing a helmet/or flak vest of some dude who I shot in the forehead during the last raid.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 21, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
His ghostly spectre looms ominously over the body armor, a constant reminder of the impermanence of life and the ever-present danger on the frontier. You can't help but remember that last look on his face when you put it on, despite most of it being missing from the explosion. He seemed terrified.

They'd much rather just have virgin kevlar without all the baggage.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

HelloSailorSign posted:

Bloodthirsty and cannibals. Per piece of clothing.

I like to build human leather chairs with my human leather. Thinking bout it though, I have never actually checked to see that this too doesn’t give some sort of malus.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Call it by its true name. The shameful anime maid dress mod. But yeah having droids is ridiculous. As I mentioned before, my biggest problem with them is that because they can do everything quite well, you end up letting them do everything quite well and your real pawns become decadent and lazy. Nobody has anything to complain about, everything is magically cleaned or made for them through the night and so there are less fights and breakdowns. A happy pawn is a boring pawn. It also leads to a brain drain of your main colonists. Your construction guy barely every constructs, has nothing to get experience on and never become really good at something. I'd love it if there were droid based psychic drones that send them crazy or something. But it is a good mod, in that its well made.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ZombieLenin posted:

I would have no problem wearing a helmet/or flak vest of some dude who I shot in the forehead during the last raid.

Well, more power to you, but I can't help but feel like that might decrease my faith in the apparel's protective qualities, personally.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anybody find any mods that let you negate some of the effects of tornadoes? I mean I could just disable them but it would be nice to have them be a bit threatening but still able to prepare for them. Its just so bullshit that it just scribbles an eraser tool around your base breaking everything it touches, killing everything and setting everything else on fire.

I just had 1 that took out 3 bedrooms, a chemfuel stockpile, a freezer, all my armor and helmets, my jail and all prisoners, my barn and most of my cows and boomalopes, and a geothermal generator before I just said "gently caress it" and reloaded my save. It wasn't even finished by then. Its not even a small base either. I guess thats my bad for not playing as he intended, deep inside a mountain getting hosed by bugs in every room.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A Moose posted:

Anybody find any mods that let you negate some of the effects of tornadoes? I mean I could just disable them but it would be nice to have them be a bit threatening but still able to prepare for them. Its just so bullshit that it just scribbles an eraser tool around your base breaking everything it touches, killing everything and setting everything else on fire.

I just had 1 that took out 3 bedrooms, a chemfuel stockpile, a freezer, all my armor and helmets, my jail and all prisoners, my barn and most of my cows and boomalopes, and a geothermal generator before I just said "gently caress it" and reloaded my save. It wasn't even finished by then. Its not even a small base either. I guess thats my bad for not playing as he intended, deep inside a mountain getting hosed by bugs in every room.

Get a mod that disables bugs and then make a mountain fortress like every non-bugs subsystem in the game is telling you to.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "he intended" you to decentralize more of your base so the effects are, at least, somewhat mitigated and the game is less sim city.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Roadie posted:

Get a mod that disables bugs and then make a mountain fortress like every non-bugs subsystem in the game is telling you to.

I would say this, but vanilla is intending to punish if you go mountain fort -- you're trading every other potential outdoor mishap for having to manage insects.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "he intended" you to decentralize more of your base so the effects are, at least, somewhat mitigated and the game is less sim city.

My base is literally 1/4 of a large map. That tornado literally just bounced from expensive thing to expensive thing and didn't waste any time hitting empty space or crops or anything. Any bigger and it would just start falling apart because it takes 10 minutes to haul anything anywhere. Its kind of hard to believe he accidentally super-incentivized mountain forts, realized it, and then made bugs to punish it because he didn't want mountain forts, and then made tornadoes to punish non-mountain forts. He should have an event that fucks both styles equally just to punish you for playing the game to begin with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/966189602146062336

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

His ghostly spectre looms ominously over the body armor, a constant reminder of the impermanence of life and the ever-present danger on the frontier. You can't help but remember that last look on his face when you put it on, despite most of it being missing from the explosion. He seemed terrified.

They'd much rather just have virgin kevlar without all the baggage.

If deadman items had art descriptions like this, I'd probably find the system less onerous.

fake edit: as of right now I just equip my droid army in deadman leftovers. They're machines. They don't have feelings.

fake edit 2: you know, it'd be great if human leather items imposed a fear malus on the enemy that made them worse at combat, because then I'd make my machine army wear the skins of the meatbags they've butchered.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 22, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warmachine posted:

you know, it'd be great if human leather items imposed a fear malus on the enemy that made them worse at combat, because then I'd make my machine army wear the skins of the meatbags they've butchered.

Why aren't you doing it anyway?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I try to keep my pawns as happy as possible for when the organ harvest begins. I can usually ride out the week or so of "JESUS CHRIST" without needing drugs or booze

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Deadman's mood hit on helmets and armor wouldn't irritate me quite as much if every rear end in a top hat in the colony didn't break the sound barrier flying across the map to put on every single last piece of armor I don't individually forbid.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

I try to keep my pawns as happy as possible for when the organ harvest begins. I can usually ride out the week or so of "JESUS CHRIST" without needing drugs or booze

I mean, as long as you have a psychopath or cannibal doing the actual butchering, it's just a -6 penalty to everyone else. That's just a nice rec/dining room. And then you sell the leather (or dress your horrible animu army in it) and make all the chemfuel you could ever want.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

It's easy in an older colony when you can feed everyone lavish meals in a wondrous dining room.

bird food bathtub posted:

Deadman's mood hit on helmets and armor wouldn't irritate me quite as much if every rear end in a top hat in the colony didn't break the sound barrier flying across the map to put on every single last piece of armor I don't individually forbid.

Create clothing assignments my dude, and disallow deadman clothes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

There really needs to be a checkbox for deadmans apparel in the outfit setup, imo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keeshhound posted:

I mean, as long as you have a psychopath or cannibal doing the actual butchering, it's just a -6 penalty to everyone else. That's just a nice rec/dining room. And then you sell the leather (or dress your horrible animu army in it) and make all the chemfuel you could ever want.

I mean I don't want them all sad from wearing human skin for when I start pulling kidneys and lungs out of people. That one's a beefy mood hit and stack five times, and the human leather clothes mood malus is sometimes just enough to send them into major break risk

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Shortest Path posted:

There really needs to be a checkbox for deadmans apparel in the outfit setup, imo.

I meant to link this when it came up earlier. Related.

Danaru posted:

I mean I don't want them all sad from wearing human skin for when I start pulling kidneys and lungs out of people. That one's a beefy mood hit and stack five times, and the human leather clothes mood malus is sometimes just enough to send them into major break risk

Oh, yeah, don't actually WEAR the leather. It's trash, even by leather standards. It's worth a lot, though. On that subject, is chinchilla fur supposed to be drat near fireproof?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 22, 2018

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
The Tyrant Kings now have 8 fully grown adult Tyrannosaurus Rexes that are trained to attack on command. It took forever to get all these dumb motherfuckers to train release 2/2, I probably stuffed 800+ meat into each of their gullets before they all got it. But it was so, so worth it.

These god-lizards don't give a gently caress about anything. Insects, tribals, mechanoids, pirates... the Rexes just demolish them all. You look at the pile of corpses after a battle and see every single one looking like this:

Head: Bitten off (fresh)
Right arm: Bitten off (fresh)
Left leg: Bitten off (fresh)
Right leg: Bitten off (fresh)

Then you see the most beat up Rex with 50+ wounds and it says:

Bleeding (no danger, it's a loving Tyrannosaur, all anyone has done is annoy it, have you seen Jurassic Park ffs)

It's also fun to watch the corpse pile outside the base lose more and more body % as they wander out every morning to eat more of them. Soon, oh so soon, the god-lizards will begin to be augmented with cybernetics, and once that outfitting is complete the war of annihilation on the entire rest of the loving world begins.

What I'm saying is, Dinosauria is awesome and everyone should play with it sometime.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

JonathonSpectre posted:

The Tyrant Kings now have 8 fully grown adult Tyrannosaurus Rexes that are trained to attack on command. It took forever to get all these dumb motherfuckers to train release 2/2, I probably stuffed 800+ meat into each of their gullets before they all got it. But it was so, so worth it.

These god-lizards don't give a gently caress about anything. Insects, tribals, mechanoids, pirates... the Rexes just demolish them all. You look at the pile of corpses after a battle and see every single one looking like this:

Bleeding (no danger, it's a loving Tyrannosaur, all anyone has done is annoy it, have you seen Jurassic Park ffs)

It's also fun to watch the corpse pile outside the base lose more and more body % as they wander out every morning to eat more of them. Soon, oh so soon, the god-lizards will begin to be augmented with cybernetics, and once that outfitting is complete the war of annihilation on the entire rest of the loving world begins.

What I'm saying is, Dinosauria is awesome and everyone should play with it sometime.

Still feeding them cooked rice in between raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

JonathonSpectre posted:

Turok will arrive shortly to destroy your hopes, dreams and horde of dinosaurs.