Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Is the text for the Work Tab addon not staying aligned with the columns on 1.25x+ gui scale for anyone else?

That's why I don't use that mod. Does anybody know of any other mod that gives work priorities from 1-9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pharnakes posted:

It was my way of trying to be fumy and ask when the mod will be out that undoes all of Tynans ~vision~

Looking at what's changed in this version, he backed off on dozens of things and basically integrated most of the really popular mods (bridges, crafting bionics, "medieval" armor etc).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Flesh Forge posted:

Looking at what's changed in this version, he backed off on dozens of things and basically integrated most of the really popular mods (bridges, crafting bionics, "medieval" armor etc).

It's really cool that he decided to do that. Heh. I suggested once that the Space Engineers dev team integrate some of the more popular mods and they went off on modder copyright violation blah blah blah. Like.. :what:

Also, I've been playing the 1.0 alpha a bit, and the removed techs aren't all that bad. It's just solar and batteries gone, coolers are still there and there are plenty of options to keep the lights on until one researches that stuff.

In addition, the changes to pet taming are basically to ensure that you can't have an army of a few hundred of something without putting some serious effort into it, at least from a dev post on reddit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ambaire posted:

there are plenty of options to keep the lights on until one researches that stuff.
such as? the main thing that comes to mind are windmills and the fueled generators, but i'll admit it's been a hot minute since i booted up the game so i might be forgetting other stuff that's available from the get go.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

quote:

-Removed tornado incident

He gave in to this so here's hoping there's a good bit more balancing to be done.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rynoto posted:

He gave in to this so here's hoping there's a good bit more balancing to be done.

Thank god, tornados are the worst. The only event that can happen that can kill someone without any possible way to avoid it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It sounds like deep water is now crossable too, yeah?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ambaire posted:

In addition, the changes to pet taming are basically to ensure that you can't have an army of a few hundred of something without putting some serious effort into it, at least from a dev post on reddit.
Yeah. You have 3/4 of a year to have your trainer interact with a boomalope once to ensure it doesn't go back to wild. This is only relevant if you have a ton of animals and very few trainers.

The thing that is more interesting is the need for maintenance on attack/hauling animals.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jarf posted:

You're on a god damned rimworld where every day is a struggle for survival. You're fortunate enough to be in a colony with food, medicine and beds and yet you're upset because that other guy is wearing the same jacket as you. Get your priorities straight mate.

It's a very small malus when it's only one other person. It's also not caused by someone else wearing the same jacket -- they are wearing the exact same clothing of the exact same type in the exact same colors from head to toe. It's meant to model how creeped out you would be to walk out of your house and see everyone walking down the street wearing the same thing as you. That's why the malus is largest when the entire colony is wearing the same thing -- it's like a weird cult where everyone is forced to dress the same (actual cultist mod notwithstanding). You're also given a long grace period upon starting your colony to get your clothing production going.

I personally have literally never once gotten the mood malus on any of my colonists -- by the time it activates, I'm doing enough hunting and creating different types of clothes that no one is ever wearing the exact same outfit as someone else. Especially once I get armor vests going, which come in multiple different colors randomly. If I didn't see so many people bitching about it, I wouldn't know it exists.

quote:

-Deep drill use will now sometimes cause insect attacks (by tunneling through the ground near the drill, with a warning)

Most upset about this of anything in the update. loving Tynan.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Wow deep drills now produce stone chunks, resources AND bug meat. Thanks Tynan.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

looking forward to pointing 4 turrets at every drill site

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thank God Tynan finally did something to nerf the overpowered and unbalanced *squints at paper* ...deep drill

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Changelog 1.1:
-Cutting down trees now has a chance to spawn a forest ent raid attacking your colony

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Danaru posted:

Thank God Tynan finally did something to nerf the overpowered and unbalanced *squints at paper* ...deep drill

https://rimworlddevtracker.com/?post=ayqnpkna

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

LOL HE loving NERFED IT BECAUSE OF A COMIC! A JOKE COMIC!

I have no loving words for this man, who has published a book on "game design"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LOL HE loving NERFED IT BECAUSE OF A COMIC! A JOKE COMIC!

I have no loving words for this man, who has published a book on "game design"
https://rimworlddevtracker.com/?post=blejeowa

Deep mining got rebuffed in 1.0 with the first update after user feedback.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

-Turrets now require "barrel change" after firing a lot. This consumes steel
-Insects will now go into hypothermic slowdown instead of getting hypothermia
-Alphabeavers incident now only occurs in biomes with sparse plants

why

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I kind of understand the beavers one because then they actually pose a not-necessarily-lethal threat rather than being a regular delivery of meat and skins, but the turret one is pretty lovely and funhating :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShadowHawk posted:

https://rimworlddevtracker.com/?post=blejeowa

Deep mining got rebuffed in 1.0 with the first update after user feedback.

What does "richer deep mining" mean, exactly? Sounds like we still get bugs out the rear end from it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm sure two days after release there will be mods to take care of a lot of the dumb crap in 1.0 so don't sweat it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What does "richer deep mining" mean, exactly? Sounds like we still get bugs out the rear end from it.

You still get bugs out the rear end, but you can now afford to make your turrets out of solid gold too.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I started a Naked Brutality game in 1.0 and it's been pretty fun so far. Had two false starts due to manhunters on day 2 but the third colony is going strong. Starting year 2 with I think 6 pawns, maybe 7, and I've finally got a decent base up although the defenses still leave something to be desired. The total lack of colony wealth brought on by the naked start means that raids are very anemic at first (either that or Randy was just very kind to me so far) and now I've finally researched turrets and got a proper power grid up and running so things are looking good.

Main things I've noticed from 1.0:
- Food poisoning suuuuucks now. It was always bad but now it downs the pawn for several hours when it hits extreme. 10% consciousness multiplier. Very important to avoid food poisoning now at all costs.
- Clothing is a lot easier to deal with early on now that you can make patchleather from 50x (almost) any leather and both pants and shirts are under 50 materials.
- Items will decay outdoors even if they're roofed, so you have to build a whole building instead of just a roof for your stockpile of non-outdoors items (steel, stone etc are still fine)
- Lots of quests. Tons of quests, all the time, and obviously I haven't been able to do any of them but a crashlanded start would probably be able to start questing fairly early. The trade requests are still random and usually unobtainable but the rewards are absurdly good.
- Certain neighbors (tribals I think?) relations decay steadily until you hit -80, and I've gotten a whopping 1 relationship point from a ~800 silver trade so far, so don't hold your breath that trade will make a difference
- Flask vests and pants, which replaced the old armor vests, require cloth but less steel and only one component

Haven't gotten to the point yet where I can give feedback on new turrets, drilling, or mechanoids but we'll see. Also need to take a look at stats and figure out the impact of quality now on weapons since that's apparently been revamped. Overall I'm enjoying the changes, especially the naked start. It's so satisfying to scavenge and build everything from the ground up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gadzuko posted:

- Items will decay outdoors even if they're roofed, so you have to build a whole building instead of just a roof for your stockpile of non-outdoors items (steel, stone etc are still fine)
- Certain neighbors (tribals I think?) relations decay steadily until you hit -80, and I've gotten a whopping 1 relationship point from a ~800 silver trade so far, so don't hold your breath that trade will make a difference

I don't like these changes, but the rest of your report sounds good.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
:siren:The Unstable has a 64 bit option:siren:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

items decaying outdoors is less of a big deal than you'd think. you just basically make a big walled warehouse and set the doors to hold open. pawns will walk in and out without any slowdown, no problem. the only issue is the extra wood or stone blocks in building the walls and doors.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Disease values are cranked up for every biome. suck it tribals

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

:siren:The Unstable has a 64 bit option:siren:

sure enough :gizz:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:quagmire:

Now to wait for all the mod updates and play on the biggest dumbest map I can make with like 10 other maps because the memory can finally be addressed to support such nonsense.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
While reading every single one of those changes all I could think was "Well that should be easy for a mod to reverse"... so I'll take the positives and mod out the negatives.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

do flak pants go on underneath whatever pants you actually have, much like flak vests do, or are they literally pants that you slap on?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a way to keep it from updating automatically when 1.0 comes out? I couldn't find an option in Steam to not update unless I say so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

do flak pants go on underneath whatever pants you actually have, much like flak vests do, or are they literally pants that you slap on?

Rimworld flak vests I think go over most of your clothes except a big coat, so they're more like, well, actual flak vests, the original ones. Not modern thin kevlar bulletproof vests.

I would assume flak pants would just replace your pants. I don't think flak pants are a real thing IRL though because you wouldn't be able to move.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Warmachine posted:

:quagmire:

Now to wait for all the mod updates and play on the biggest dumbest map I can make with like 10 other maps because the memory can finally be addressed to support such nonsense.

By the way he reduced the maximum allowed map size, maybe someone will make a mod to increase that again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

By the way he reduced the maximum allowed map size, maybe someone will make a mod to increase that again.

Apparently you need to specifically enable them in the options.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Rimworld flak vests I think go over most of your clothes except a big coat, so they're more like, well, actual flak vests, the original ones. Not modern thin kevlar bulletproof vests.

I would assume flak pants would just replace your pants. I don't think flak pants are a real thing IRL though because you wouldn't be able to move.

yeah the vests are a known quantity, they have their own layer which is great because you can combine it with devilstrand gear for Hella Armor - which is really probably even better now that it works consistently rather than constantly rolling.

it's a similar question with flak pants though. if they are their own armor layer, then they can be combined with devilstrand pants for Hella Armor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah right I see.

What did they change re: armour calculations? Is it not still the first 50% or so rolls and then all subsequent % mitigate a percentage?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Ah right I see.

What did they change re: armour calculations? Is it not still the first 50% or so rolls and then all subsequent % mitigate a percentage?

it looks like i had it backward so thank you for making me check:

quote:

-Armor is now entirely done with a chance of deflecting the entire hit, instead of a reduction in damage. This means there are fewer wounds, but they are more significant, and it’s easier to see the effect armor is having on the battlefield. It also means heat armor can actually prevent people getting set aflame.

i thought it was all reduction, which is kinda more meh. still though, 3 layers of armor on your chest (duster, flak vest, shirt) should be quite a bit of force protection. i guess we'll end up seeing how much it really helps.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a way to keep it from updating automatically when 1.0 comes out? I couldn't find an option in Steam to not update unless I say so.
There is no such option (unless the game can be copied out of steam's storage and run independently of it). Developers can use the "betas" feature in an unintended way by adding old versions to it for people to switch to but that's something they have to do explicitly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Animals can get plague and poo poo now, praise Nurgle :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it looks like i had it backward so thank you for making me check:

i thought it was all reduction, which is kinda more meh. still though, 3 layers of armor on your chest (duster, flak vest, shirt) should be quite a bit of force protection. i guess we'll end up seeing how much it really helps.

Hmm yeah I'm not a huge fan of random chance though I appreciate the idea of reducing the number of wounds you need to treat.

Still not great in that there's no reliable protection against getting limbs blown off by sniperspilae.