Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i guess it'll depend on how it's all sorted. you still have 2 levels of armor over your arms at least. duster and button down shirt - the normal shirt doesn't have sleeves, but the button down does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Jesus Christ, check out that loadout

:chanpop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It'll be rough but you should be able to handle them relatively well with bows and clubs, they have no real weapons there.

If they'd mixed in some guns that would have been really bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Three tribal level people with shortbows, no medicine and not much security constructed yet vs 5 grenadiers who don't care about friendly fire, that's pretty much over with :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really? Because they shouldn't be able to hit you with the grenades if you don't let them. You'll have to kite them around like hell but, well, they have to stop and throw, which shouldn't be able to hit a pawn moving away from them.

As I said if they mixed a real gun in there it'd be poo poo because that would make it much much harder, but 3 bows should be able to kite them around for days and pepper them to death. The main risk is that you lose structures or they start a big fire.

The main threats with raids is when they go after your base and not your skirmishers, or if they outrange you sufficiently that you can't skirmish them, or if they're significantly faster than your skirmishers. Or I guess if they outnumber you so much that you can't bring enough firepower against them to kill them before your guys starve to death.

But a pure grenadier group against a colony without much to defend is far from the worst threat, because it's one that you should be able to evade injury from entirely if you play it well.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 18, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also new in this rev: ranged attacks are not automatically stopped buy a guy in melee with them. I.e. guns and bows still shoot, grenades still throw. Not saying this to discount your tactic of kiting stuff, yes that works, just fyi.

e: although now that I think of it that's a dire nerf for melee heavy colonies

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 18, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's basically the chicken's way out of allowing side arms. i'm still not clear on why tynan doesn't like that idea.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yeah the vests are a known quantity, they have their own layer which is great because you can combine it with devilstrand gear for Hella Armor - which is really probably even better now that it works consistently rather than constantly rolling.

it's a similar question with flak pants though. if they are their own armor layer, then they can be combined with devilstrand pants for Hella Armor.

Unfortunately flak pants are just regular pants. No stacking there.

Sindai posted:

There is no such option (unless the game can be copied out of steam's storage and run independently of it). Developers can use the "betas" feature in an unintended way by adding old versions to it for people to switch to but that's something they have to do explicitly.

Tynan does do this and has already said he will keep doing it for 1.0, so although you can't keep it from auto upgrading you will still be able to downgrade. Workshop mods are another story.

Also uhh this happened:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PUA negging works folks :pervert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

No! No! Damnit, no! *whaps Tynan with a newspaper*

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Hang on, they could just be a masochist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

End of the first year, raid went poorly. 3 colonists dead from infection thanks to a lack of medicine and qualified doctors, including M's fiancee. Gonna be a rough winter for the two survivors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

No! No! Damnit, no! *whaps Tynan with a newspaper*

Make sure that newspaper has a lead bar in it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

Unfortunately flak pants are just regular pants. No stacking there.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mountain + Huge River makes for some very interesting maps

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So ends the tale of carpenter's cliff, overrun by a medieval warband after foolishly taking in a refugee.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It seems like combat is back to immensely favoring tiny animals, so the mad rat or squirrel is terrifyingly dangerous again :negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tynan can't design a game to save his life, thank God he can delegate it to the community

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
One big thing I forgot to mention before: pawns get a tolerance for particular kinds of recreation now. You can't just plop down a horseshoe pin and be done with it, you need at least a couple different kinds of entertainment or pawns will spend all day forcing themselves to play horseshoes and barely getting any entertainment out of it. I've finally gotten a surplus of steel so I'll plop down some turrets and see how often barrel changes are required.

Main problem currently: multi-analyzers now require 2x advanced components (in addition to the gold and other stuff). Advanced components are made at the fabrication bench, the research for which... you guessed it, requires a multi-analyzer. Going to have send out some caravans.

Also, negging is not the only way to find love on the Rim. Sometimes you gotta be sensitive:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

One big thing I forgot to mention before: pawns get a tolerance for particular kinds of recreation now. You can't just plop down a horseshoe pin and be done with it, you need at least a couple different kinds of entertainment or pawns will spend all day forcing themselves to play horseshoes and barely getting any entertainment out of it. I've finally gotten a surplus of steel so I'll plop down some turrets and see how often barrel changes are required.

Main problem currently: multi-analyzers now require 2x advanced components (in addition to the gold and other stuff). Advanced components are made at the fabrication bench, the research for which... you guessed it, requires a multi-analyzer. Going to have send out some caravans.

Also, negging is not the only way to find love on the Rim. Sometimes you gotta be sensitive:

I like that joy change, and aw, I hope those two live happily. :kimchi:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gadzuko posted:

This was always the case. I guess Tynan just made it actually matter now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Three of my colonists now have prosthetic middle fingers, thanks to some, um, carefully aimed bites from rabid bunnies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

It seems like combat is back to immensely favoring tiny animals, so the mad rat or squirrel is terrifyingly dangerous again :negative:

There is a plus to this, in that tamed/trained combat animals are amazing :stare:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This was always the case. I guess Tynan just made it actually matter now.

Yeah, my mistake, I just never noticed it before. I think he rebalanced the categories and maybe the rate of tolerance, because pawns in an old game I checked with nothing but a horseshoe are fine but I had some real problems with this latest game. By the time I noticed that my pawn would. not. stop. playing horseshoes she was at something like 80% tolerance for it so I built a chess set and that helped a lot.

Got a masterwork charge lance from an ancient danger. It's glorious. That accuracy :swoon:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Those caravan changes are amazing! They'll forage? AND you can add and remove things while they're packing? Now we just need to let people not in the caravan help load it and we're good. Maybe some kind of wagon too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gadzuko posted:

- Certain neighbors (tribals I think?) relations decay steadily until you hit -80, and I've gotten a whopping 1 relationship point from a ~800 silver trade so far, so don't hold your breath that trade will make a difference
It's if you live too close to them. This is a nerf to the "park your base right next to theirs and get free instacaravans" strategy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Making turrets require occasional maintenance is meant to make each form of defense require some sort of continuous investment (training animals, re-arming traps, resupplying turrets, etc)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The waterwheel seems like it will give a good reason to actually settle on a river now. For 360 wood, 20 steel and 1 component its a permanent 1400W for your colony, which is pretty good compared to solars which are useless during eclipse and night, or the unreliable wind gen. You and even wall them off using bridges.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah turrets requiring new barrels doesn't change my love for them in the absolute slightest. the only question i have is if you can force a new barrel in before it is strictly speaking required, so you can change barrels after every raid rather than risking them breaking down during.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yeah turrets requiring new barrels doesn't change my love for them in the absolute slightest. the only question i have is if you can force a new barrel in before it is strictly speaking required, so you can change barrels after every raid rather than risking them breaking down during.

Turrets are still good but they will annihilate your steel reserves in the current build. The barrel lasts for 120 shots (that's individual rounds, not bursts) and then has to be replaced for 60 steel. There is a new heavy turret that is 2x2 with I think an 11 tile minimum range but something like 40 or 50 tiles maximum, it does a ton of damage but the barrel only lasts for 100 shots and requires 200 (!) steel to be replaced. It is possible to force an early barrel replacement by right clicking and prioritizing the job. There is no chance of an early failure as far as I can tell, it's just been implemented as a fuel gauge basically.

I'm not a fan of this change so far. Too much steel, too few shots. Doubling the shots and halving the barrel cost would seem closer to the mark for me. We'll see what Tynan ends up doing, either way I'm sure it'll be modded out the nanosecond 1.0 goes live anyway so it's not a huge deal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the cost of replacement seems way high but the stamina on them sounds pretty legit. it basically stops turrets from being placed out somewhere in an idiot trap and then forgotten about, which was a pretty big way of using them that i always thought was colossally lame. you want to use them smarter, not harder with this change, which is effectively the way i've been advocating they be used since like A15. halve the replacement costs and i'd probably say bob's your uncle

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 19, 2018

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gadzuko posted:

I started a Naked Brutality game in 1.0 and it's been pretty fun so far. Had two false starts due to manhunters on day 2 but the third colony is going strong. Starting year 2 with I think 6 pawns, maybe 7, and I've finally got a decent base up although the defenses still leave something to be desired. The total lack of colony wealth brought on by the naked start means that raids are very anemic at first (either that or Randy was just very kind to me so far) and now I've finally researched turrets and got a proper power grid up and running so things are looking good.

How much rerolling of your starting guy did you do? high construction seems like a must, as does high growing, but then you need shooting for killing stuff, and mining for digging steel, and growing for herbal medicine and chopping trees.. and medicine is also a must. basically need a godly jack of all trades. I've made a couple attempts at it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah also you need to avoid anything like Wimp or Sickly or pretty much any incapabilities (maybe Intellectual is the only exception). Anything that makes you more break-prone is also really bad for solo starts, as practically any break will be fatal.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You know, for having such a strong vision on how Rimworld shouldbe played, Tynan is surpringly open to modding.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's pretty easy to be open to mods when you know that a single digit percentage of your audience will ever install even one of them

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I never thought about this. The workshop seems huge.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure that's totally accurate in Rimworlds case. Surely more than 10% of players mod rimworld?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I'm not sure that's totally accurate in Rimworlds case. Surely more than 10% of players mod rimworld?

that's how it's been in every other game that has supported mods, both ones with larger playerbases (skyrim) and smaller ones (stardew). it's entirely possible that modding is more prevalent in rimworld but honestly i'd need to see some real numbers to know that that's actually the case. tynan has been kneecapping his development process for literal years now to support 32 bit OSes for <1% of users so i wouldn't read too much into the effort put forward there.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=rimworld

500,000-1,000,000 from steamspy

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735106432&searchtext=

443,500 Unique Visitors from Prepare Carefully.

I don't know how accurate steamspy is, but steam workshop numbers should be accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

That Guy Bob posted:

https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=rimworld

500,000-1,000,000 from steamspy

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=735106432&searchtext=

443,500 Unique Visitors from Prepare Carefully.

I don't know how accurate steamspy is, but steam workshop numbers should be accurate?

Some people prefer to download mods from the forums instead of going through the workshop, too, so it's probably a little higher.

I wonder if the work shop has had an impact on how prevalent modding is? I know there's an impression that it's a more involved process than it actually is, so you'd think the automated installation would make people more likely to try it.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 19, 2018