Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Just don't use it?

*twitches angrily*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Making your own prosthetics and high end guns seems unbalanced, but its really painful waiting for the right trade ship to come up. Is there a mod that lets you summon traders some how?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
When you put scyther arms on a dude, does he have to be unarmed to get the benefit from them or does it boost melee weapon usage? I put two scyther arms on my brawler/hauler dude and he went and hosed up another scyther in like 4 swings of a broadsword.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do you put scyther arms on a dude?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How do you put scyther arms on a dude?

If you disable a scyther you can go to their health tab and do an operation to remove an arm. Anyone that is allowed to do repair can attempt to take it off(have your highest construction person do it). Then once you have the scyther arm you can perform a surgery to attach it to a colonist. Be aware this fucks with their ability to do most things besides be a murder machine since it drops their manipulation. If you outright kill the scyther you can't take their sweet blade arm.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Can't say for sure but if it works like the power claw used to, they have to be unarmed. But that was a couple releases ago and this may well have changed. Annoyingly this means that they'll get the "hunter has no weapon equipped" message.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Heffer posted:

Making your own prosthetics and high end guns seems unbalanced, but its really painful waiting for the right trade ship to come up. Is there a mod that lets you summon traders some how?

There are much more moderate versions of this kind of thing:
Extended Surgery and Bionics V1.7
    Current features

• Research Prosthetics and Synthetics
  • Build prosthetics table and synthetics table
  • Craft vanilla bionics, 120% efficency
  • Craft bionic organs, 120% efficency
  • Craft vanilla simple prosthetics, leg 85%, arm 50%
  • Missing eyes now make your colonists less beautiful, debuff to talking
  • Craft glass eyes, 0% sight, gives talking buff to counter talking debuff
  • Craft eye patch, 0% sight, gives weaker talking buff (e.g. with both eyes gone and two eye patches 80% talking)
  • Craft crystal eyes, 0% sight, 120% talking buff
  • Craft hook hand, 50% efficency, improves melee damage
  • Motorized Treads as a leg attachment. Couldn't make it a single object sadly. 180% speed, 80% talking and hearing
  • Remove arms and legs
  • Stomachs!
  • Ears and jaws can now be harvested too
  • Power Claw + Bionic Arm = Power Arm
  • All the above can be surgically attached to your colonists!
  • All surgery gives XP
  • Craftable cheaper brain replacement
  • New organ vats added for part growing
  • Can use the vats to turn bodyparts into meat
  • Apothacarius compatable stomach life-suppor.
  • Brain removal mod is also compatible with vat mincing
  • Noses can be grown and attached too now

The brain replacement requires a mechanoid ship brain, which seems pretty fair to me.

Gunsmithing Table just allows crafting of up to the assault rifle and LMG (tbh these are probably all the guns you'll ever need anyway but they're not dumb poo poo like "fires bursts of explosive large-radius rockets")

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Leif. posted:

Can't say for sure but if it works like the power claw used to, they have to be unarmed. But that was a couple releases ago and this may well have changed. Annoyingly this means that they'll get the "hunter has no weapon equipped" message.

From what I can tell using the power claw, that damage is applied when an enemy runs up to melee a gunner and they trade punches, so it's good for everyone as far as I can tell (as long as you don't need to like, hold a baby or some lame poo poo)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I ran into a bug where the neighboring archaeologist community turned hostile and sent like 50 dudes to wreak my tiny town of like a dozen guys. Wondering where I pissed them off at I loaded up a few old (and real old) games and they're now hostile in all of them, even at points where I know they were friendly. Looking at the bug tracker in the OP, this is apparently a known issue. Can I fix this by editing an .xml file or something?

A shot of the horde at my front door: :yikes:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can reroll the world of course (I recommend using the seed 'goon')

Also I'm pretty sure you can just do something in cheat console, that's probably safer than trying to edit the savegame.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to heat a room? I am wondering if it's possible to heat a hydroponic room in winter time to grow crops. I couldn't get a "cooler" to do it. Also, i placed a hydroponic tray and grew some vegetables, but I noticed after they harvested it took quite a while before they were replanted. Is there any cool down or was it probably just because my guys were busy with other things? I also noticed I couldn't get anyone to prioritize it. Right clicking didn't bring up any options. Not running any mods.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

There is a "heater" in the temperature tab with the coolers. Use that.

To mess with priority stuff, in the "overview" tab where you assign work orders, switch to "manual" mode and assign somebody a level 1 priority for growing. That little motherfucker will grow his heart out. I like to do this for people who have the "green thumb" trait.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Do you not have a heater object right beside the cooler in the build menu? Your civs taking a while to replant is just them being busy with other stuff, and is why I usually pick someone as a dedicated grower using the manual priority settings.

e: f;b

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Flesh Forge posted:

You can reroll the world of course (I recommend using the seed 'goon')

Also I'm pretty sure you can just do something in cheat console, that's probably safer than trying to edit the savegame.

It ended up being a real easy fix thanks to the bug tracker. I just opened up the wold file in a text editor, found the section for that faction's standings, and changed the entry for my colony to a positive goodwill value, and deleted the <hostile>True</hostile> line.

Really not sure why they decided to save the faction diplomacy info into the world file instead of the saved game file though. :psyduck:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

crabrock posted:

There is a "heater" in the temperature tab with the coolers. Use that.

To mess with priority stuff, in the "overview" tab where you assign work orders, switch to "manual" mode and assign somebody a level 1 priority for growing. That little motherfucker will grow his heart out. I like to do this for people who have the "green thumb" trait.

Moddington posted:

Do you not have a heater object right beside the cooler in the build menu? Your civs taking a while to replant is just them being busy with other stuff, and is why I usually pick someone as a dedicated grower using the manual priority settings.

e: f;b

Wow. Not sure how I missed that. Amazing. Thank you gentlemen.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'm nearing end game on a super hard mode (whatever the hardest setting is) and the amount of enemies that are coming during a raid are a little insane now. Hard to keep turrets alive no matter their hitpoints when this many idiots are throwing spears and poo poo. I have a few snipers that I send out to pick a few off here and there, but that always triggers their "rush at me" stage. Oh well. Hopefully I can build dat spaceship.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

crabrock posted:

I'm nearing end game on a super hard mode (whatever the hardest setting is) and the amount of enemies that are coming during a raid are a little insane now. Hard to keep turrets alive no matter their hitpoints when this many idiots are throwing spears and poo poo. I have a few snipers that I send out to pick a few off here and there, but that always triggers their "rush at me" stage. Oh well. Hopefully I can build dat spaceship.

Barbed wire is incredibly useful.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Oh yeah, barbed wire is where it's at.

It once helped me defeat no less than 37 feral boars. Only one or two manager to actually make it to the doors. It was a massacre. I was low on meat too, so a godsend!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I use the "more vanilla turrets" mod which has a pretty bitching chain gun type thing and a snipery turret. also just bigger "military grade" turrets. They're expensive as poo poo tho.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

crabrock posted:

What the gently caress why would you ever leave that glorious fountain of meat :black101:

Hello friends WELCOME TO DINNER

MMMMMMMM AS SOON AS WE ARE DONE WITH THE BAND AIDS WE SHALL FIRE UP THE BARBIE :black101:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 18, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mods that are awesome (many of these were already mentioned earlier):

EdB Interface
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5258.0
Makes the UI a lot more pleasant, with colonist selection/health bar icons at the top of the screen.

Pawn Status Icons
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9163.0
The vanilla game really ought to work like this. Adds nice-looking floating status icons for various positive/negative thoughts and statuses. IMO this is practically mandatory, it's just super.

Vein Miner
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9616.0
Click once to designate a whole vein of metal to be dug out. A teensy bit cheaty but gently caress manually designating that poo poo one line at a time.

Winter Is Here!/Harsher Tundra (about to get even more interesting soon too)
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8004.0
Ice Sheet
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11249.0
OMFG OMFG OMFG SO COLD OMFG HOLY poo poo COLD

Zombie Apocalypse
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0
Zombies have come to push in your poo poo!

Prison Improvements
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10069.0
Improve the prisons, for gently caress's sake, have some decency

Can I Brew It?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11363.0
More recipes for booze

Gunsmithing Table
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11090.0
A workbench that lets you craft the ordinary low/mid tier guns, up to the LMG. It's a liiiiiittle bit too friendly if you're satisfied with assault rifles, which only cost 15 plasteel each to make, but otherwise just perfect.

Extended Surgery and Bionics
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7029.0
Craftable bionics, but just of the vanilla stuff. They're also quite expensive to make, unless you have vast amounts of plasteel. Plus you can transplant organic body parts onto prosthophobes if you want to. Also you can install the mechanoid brain in a person, nice to have something to do with these besides just sell them.

Caveworld Flora
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9277.0
Pretty terrain greebles you can eat.

Bulk Meals
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11155.0
Cook batches of 4 or 8 meals at a time.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Mods that are awesome (many of these were already mentioned earlier):

I've been running a game with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. Apart from the necessaries like EdB Interface and Vein Miner, my favorites include:

Quality of Life:
Bulk Meals
Skill Lock - Keep low skill crafters on the stone sculpting, and high skill ones on the smithing bench
RT Fusebox - prevent your conduits from catching fire
Outfitter - pawns automatically switch out frayed clothes

Make the game easier but not terribly so:
Gunsmithing/Craftable Guns
EdBPrepareCarefully
FixScar
Mending - Automatically repair all items

Probably Overpowered:
MD2 Droids - They're like pawns who are fast and don't sleep and don't complain and you don't have to capture or buy them from slave traders
MD2 Industry - Automatic ore production of any type, from a hefty power and steel input, but it pays for itself pretty quick
MD2 Manufacturing - I couldn't get this to reliably work, but could be very OP
Recoil Compensation - Faster firing time based off of shooting skill. Seems like a straight shooting buff.
Turrets Pack - I have a semi circle of metallic death around my colony's one entrance. Stun Turrets, Sniper Turrets, Energy Turrets. And I have it all on a power switch so I can turn it off in between raids.
Extended Surgery and Bionics - being able to craft your own bionics is overkill, but does alleviate some frustration. With an endless supply of raider bodies, you'll always be able to vat grow organs and then upgrade them to bionic versions.

Fun:
Meteors - meteor crashes in a fiery ball but leaves a minable chunk of ore behind.
Hospitality- Convert visiting outlanders in a friendly manner. Supposedly. I haven't gotten it to work correctly, although I did give him enough "Offended by colonists" mood debuffs that he ran screaming from my fort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Good list, added to the OP.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

What does short/medium/long relate to in the range categories?

The assault rifle and the shotgun both have a 64% "Long" accuracy, but 16 vs 32 range. Is the long range accuracy for the last third of the range (i.e. 11 to 16 and 23 to 32 respectively)? Or is the long range accuracy what it is at the very end (i.e. 64% at 16 and 32 tiles, with a gradient to the next point)?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Prepare Carefully is super great, if you don't enjoy spending an hour rolling interesting colonists each game start. Plus you can tinker with starting supplies, e.g. I have a low tech loadout for my cannibal team:

Some wood, some metal, a great bow, some herbal medicine

AND A TON OF HUMAN FLESH :black101:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I just take the random 3 I get because I'm awesome.

Oh hello new world with 0 growers.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Yeah I love both Prepare Carefully and the MD2 droids mod. I recently did a game where I had one survivor with low stats in everything except really high Research skill, and he crash-landed with one Droid. Also, he wouldn't do menial tasks like hauling.

So my first order was to get the droid hauling stuff while I built a room and research table, quickly researched charging pads and built batteries and a solar panel, and from there worked on unlocking the different droids so that I could actually get things going. Got a mining droid and a construction droid up, then a grower and chef droid, and built up some hydroponics for food and turrets for defense. Everything was going pretty well, had an Artist join my colony so now there were two, the artist was mostly useless so she ended up making marble statues to sell so I could buy supplies. In the end I got everything researched, had just the two colonists and I think 8 or 9 droids going, then the droids built a spaceship and the two humans took off. The colony remains, full of droids who are mass-producing Lavish Meals and Beer, with heavily armed Combat Droids defending the base. Without the humans they were able to get rid of all heaters, beds, chairs etc. and they all chill out around a big table outside, in the snow, trading with occasional visitors.

Then last night I started a new one, with the Glitterworld Tech mod as well - trying to do a 4-man military squad, two power-armored soldiers and two scientists, that crashlanded and are setting up shop. Sadly I landed near two sealed rooms which turned out to be full of mechanoids. There were no survivors.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Glittertech has a whole boatload of hilariously unbalanced goodies, like that projector gun thing that precision fires high-velocity mortar-power explosive rounds at a range of about 80 with a higher ROF than the sniper rifle, or the speed suit that doubles movement speed, gives +400% global workrate and also acts like a super parka (for some reason) with no drawbacks whatsoever, or the energy rifle that fires about 4 times a second and does ~35 damage a shot.

It also adds new mats with absurd properties, like the Beta Poly stuff that has a modifier of +800% to damage. Yeah yeah, it's futuristic space age stuff used to build space battle tanks or whatever - but it leads to some interesting situations when you bring other mods into the picture, like the supposedly primitive Norbal faction. One of them rolled up in their last raid wielding one of these:

Imagine if it had been legendary.

A word of caution: watch out for the commando faction. They come tricked out in all the goodies - nano suits, speed suits, the aforementioned OP weapons, and will royally crash your poo poo like nothing else if you're not prepared and only have vanilla equipment and security measures on hand.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 20, 2015

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a mod or tool that reveals the whole local map? Im hoping there's an interesting room in one of these mountains.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Winter Is Here!/Harsher Tundra + Zombie Apocalypse :allears:

Holy poo poo this game is fun

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are there droids from that MD2 mod that replace every type of work that a colonist can do? Koobze's post makes me want to start a colony solely of droids who fight against the native humans and brainwash any survivors and launch them into space. This won't work however if there aren't any droids who can convince captured prisoners or do research.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Somebody built some sort of slave collar thing that probably does what you want.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10878.0

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Spaseman posted:

Are there droids from that MD2 mod that replace every type of work that a colonist can do? Koobze's post makes me want to start a colony solely of droids who fight against the native humans and brainwash any survivors and launch them into space. This won't work however if there aren't any droids who can convince captured prisoners or do research.

Yeah droids don't research and I am pretty sure don't warden, and no art either. They do get talked to by normal people, which is amusing.

But they do everything else, including make more droids. So once everything is researched your colony is good to go.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
My favourite droid is the roving furnace that automatically strips bodies and then consumes them in situ.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ice Fortress Z is loving riveting :suspense:

I just had one of my precious colonists go nuts in the middle of a huge wave of zombies, so I had to imprison him, but a zombie broke into the prison and bit him on the arm ... I'm sorry Meadows but you know what we have to do :emo:

To the northeast, a crashed mechanoid ship part radiates telepathic hate like a malignant right wing television station, thank god I bought a handful of tinfoil hats :tinfoil:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 21, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Is there a mod that makes traders always available via the comms desk? Because my newest game I get maybe one passing trader per year and I'm drowning in human organs to sell.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Clutter pack has a building that makes them more likely to appear, maybe you could tinker with it to just make it 100% successful?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2541

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Holy loving poo poo dudes, if you hadn't tried the Zombie Apocalypse mod, go get it and don't be a pussy, don't even research ship tech, stay in your colony as walls of corpses pile up around you and the hungry dead JUST - KEEP - COMING

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3635.0

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Looks like the next update will be fun :v:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

Fun seeking behaviour, stargazing, drinking beer around a campfire etc etc.

e: Also the opportunity to make human leather armchairs.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh gently caress yeah, the game needs this kind of thing real bad. Ant farm + murder/cannibalism :black101:

quote:

Only colonists have the fun need.

gently caress you prisoners, eat paste and stare at the wall

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 22, 2015