Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Warmachine posted:

Honestly the most compelling reason for me to keep Rimsenal: Ferals installed is the flamethrower. It behaves exactly like I'd expect a flamethrower to behave in Rimworld mechanics, and is absolutely perfect for close range area denial. I used it on two pawns during a massive infested ship chunks event to keep the bugs from getting close to my blob of shooter pawns.

You might have convinced me to install this mod. I've always ignored it because of the weird anime thumbnail on the workshop but if it's actually just cool guns with a stupid thumbnail I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Mzbundifund posted:

You might have convinced me to install this mod. I've always ignored it because of the weird anime thumbnail on the workshop but if it's actually just cool guns with a stupid thumbnail I'm on board.

No anime to be found, just guns and armor. And sometimes other angry factions trying to kick your poo poo in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

"Good and safe" seems antithetical to the spirit of this kind of game, anyway.

And also antithetical to flamethrowers. At least the latter bit.

Mzbundifund posted:

Yep. No anime here. Just lots of guns and a pair of reasonably tough factions. (Fun fact: the mutants don't count as human meat, so Federation and Feral raids often double as manhunter meal deliveries!)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Warmachine posted:

And also antithetical to flamethrowers. At least the latter bit.

"Notable experimental failures during the development of the flamethrower as a practical infantry weapon" is a topic which I find theoretically fascinating but have deliberately never explored.

Learned my lesson about testing failures of early Industrial Era from reading about seal failures on early diving suits. Did you know that if you compact an entire human body into several meters of hose plus the head and shoulders of a diving suit, that human can't live?!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

LonsomeSon posted:

"Notable experimental failures during the development of the flamethrower as a practical infantry weapon" is a topic which I find theoretically fascinating but have deliberately never explored.

Learned my lesson about testing failures of early Industrial Era from reading about seal failures on early diving suits. Did you know that if you compact an entire human body into several meters of hose plus the head and shoulders of a diving suit, that human can't live?!

I too, remember this episode of mythbusters, and vaguely remember a wet crunching sound

Maybe this is old news, but while remodeling my stockpiles, I have accidentally discovered that having a 1 tile wide corridor lined with traps (with access doorways on one side) with open doors on both ends, and an externally-accessible kibble stockpile, makes a loving excellent animal lure / trap during winter.

Not at all doing this on purpose, I've killed or fatally wounded (inside my courtyard) 3 llamas, a hare, a raccoon, and 4 meadow aves (basically chocobos, from a mod) in 1 day.

edit: is there a mod that makes bloodstains a fertilizer? there should be

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 11, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

edit: is there a mod that makes bloodstains a fertilizer? there should be

There's a rather creepy mod that lets you use corpses in multiple ways to provide fertilizer or crop growth, including one that looks like you're draining the corpse of blood to water plants.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I looked into that one, I don't mind idea of using dead bodies for stuff like fertilizer and such, but that mod is way too... much lol

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I think the bad hygiene mod has a way to turn corpses into fertilizer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't recall it having a direct one off the top of my head, which is odd given that you'd think you could just stuff them in the septic tank.

E: unless you can do it at the incinerator.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nalesh posted:

I think the bad hygiene mod has a way to turn corpses into fertilizer.

Where? I use the mod and would be interested in trying it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

That Works posted:

Where? I use the mod and would be interested in trying it.

Turn corpses into ash, then combine ash and poop I think? Might be another mod that has compatibility with bad hygiene maybe, been a while.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Vegetable Garden lets you incinerate any body (human or animal) into fertilizer.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Nalesh posted:

Turn corpses into ash, then combine ash and poop I think? Might be another mod that has compatibility with bad hygiene maybe, been a while.

It's from the Fertile Fields / Bad Hygiene compatibility patch

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1602597619

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There was another one that lets me burn corpses into compost, and then use the compost to make fertilizer. There's so many mods that do this that I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head (Probably Fertile Fields).

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
What are some recommended magic-style mods? Preferably, but not exclusively, ones that can be added to an already running save game.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

metasynthetic posted:

What are some recommended magic-style mods? Preferably, but not exclusively, ones that can be added to an already running save game.

A rimworld of magic is the best one so far snd has a leveling and experience system. It also incluses "physical" class system for like rangers and stuff.

The Transhumanist
Jan 2, 2008

Things can get better. You just gotta be willing to take the chance.
Thinking about starting this beautiful dumb game back up, but I was wondering if there were any good biome mods out there that aren't dead/full of bugs/all of the above? I have TroppiCKAPPS Rainforest, which was definitely a neat fun challenge last time, but wondering if anyone has anything for other biome types like that, or ones that add new biomes, that they could recommend?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh man I didnt know Rimfeller could pipe chemfuel from tanks directly into pod launchers :swoon: it's not game breakingly useful but it feels cool

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The Transhumanist posted:

Thinking about starting this beautiful dumb game back up, but I was wondering if there were any good biome mods out there that aren't dead/full of bugs/all of the above? I have TroppiCKAPPS Rainforest, which was definitely a neat fun challenge last time, but wondering if anyone has anything for other biome types like that, or ones that add new biomes, that they could recommend?

There's Advanced Biomes, but I have no idea how good (or not) it is.

metasynthetic posted:

A Rimworld of Magic is for sure your best bet, like Tesla Cola says. If you are okay with the theming then the Star Wars Force mod probably counts too.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
A tantruming colonist decided to take out some aggression on an anti-grain warhead. Obvious, non-crop related results.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's also vampires and werewolves from jecrell, as well as the call of cthulhu stuff, they all add magic-ish stuff.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My favorite thing about combining Rim of Magic and Vampires is that if you have a vampire and a necromancer, the vampires will get negative moodlets for "observed undead."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Star Wars stuff is pretty great and I'm not even a huge fan of Star Wars. I kinda wish the Vampire system was as fleshed out as the Force system, but I know its apples and oranges. Vibroblades are the poo poo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

The Star Wars stuff is pretty great and I'm not even a huge fan of Star Wars. I kinda wish the Vampire system was as fleshed out as the Force system, but I know its apples and oranges. Vibroblades are the poo poo

Star Wars does one thing I really don't like, and that is breaking the graphical conventions. The single-handed lightsabers aren't bad, but the double and polesabers are loving bad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Warmachine posted:

Star Wars does one thing I really don't like, and that is breaking the graphical conventions. The single-handed lightsabers aren't bad, but the double and polesabers are loving bad.

How do you mean? I've definitely noticed some nasty positioning errors with the double saber making it look like the beam is rotating separately from the handle which ughh, or do you mean from a design standpoint?

The double saber is the coolest kind of saber and I still use it despite that bug :smith:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just built up a tiny one year community to shake the rust off and see if I still got the muscle memory of this game.

Gonna look into the Star Wars mod.
Holy gently caress Google gave a whole bunch of different set of modpacks, all nearly identically named, but with wildly different levels of complexity between them.

So, should I responsibly pick a small pack to test against incompatibilities... Or should I dump the one with the most number right on top of my existing pack. gently caress me up fam and hook it straight into my veins.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I installed the Pokemon mod then uninstalled it because the fuckers would 'help' with construction and there wasn't an obvious way to stop that (no work restriction menu since they're classified as animals). At least orbital traders take awful/poor furniture.

Also switched to using Deep Storage and it's just miles ahead of Extended Storage, everyone should make the switch if they're still on ES.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sillybones posted:

A tantruming colonist decided to take out some aggression on an anti-grain warhead. Obvious, non-crop related results.

Lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Need a faction whose only purpose is to destroy grains and fields growing grains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

motherFUCKErs made me eat my steak tartare without a fuCINg table thats IT im loving SICk of this poo poo gonna puNCH this nuke so FUkINg hard right ing the gotdANm detonator fuKU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

How do you mean? I've definitely noticed some nasty positioning errors with the double saber making it look like the beam is rotating separately from the handle which ughh, or do you mean from a design standpoint?

The double saber is the coolest kind of saber and I still use it despite that bug :smith:

It's either the size of it or the positioning that makes it clash with the rest of the pawn. For example, with the polesaber, it looks like they're holding a weapon made for someone twice their size, which clashes with the size of spears in the game (which is roughly how big said pole should be in my mind).

fake edit:

Rimworld: steak tartare without a fuCINg table

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

OwlFancier posted:

motherFUCKErs made me eat my steak tartare without a fuCINg table thats IT im loving SICk of this poo poo gonna puNCH this nuke so FUkINg hard right ing the gotdANm detonator fuKU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems like the optimal way to hunt elephants.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do those sandbags outside your embrasures there actually provide any defense or are they just for aesthetics? I'm pretty sure in vanilla nonadjacent cover elements have no effect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they guarantee that enemies cannot stand on the hex and therefore cannot use the embrasure

it'd be better to use a stone chunk (it provides less cover) but :effort:. i do the same thing with my fire and murder hallways.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm using Combat Extended which drastically changes the way gunfire works. I haven't tested them yet but I believe the sandbags should take some of the hits first. Which is relevant when facing mechanoids with charge blasters which have ablated my bunkers into rubble before now.

Specifically those are elephant leather heavy sandbags with 1000hp in front of bonecrete embrasures.

CE specifically changes the combat model to a hitbox based thing, so an embrasure blocks most of a pawn's height, while the sandbags block most of the embrasure's height, it should split damage between the two.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 22, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

they guarantee that enemies cannot stand on the hex and therefore cannot use the embrasure

it'd be better to use a stone chunk (it provides less cover) but :effort:. i do the same thing with my fire and murder hallways.

Doesn't it also provide another thing a "missed" projectile can hit, making it less likely a pawn gets hit by it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it did a few versions ago but i'm not sure if that got changed at any point

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I have a combat question. Just standing my guys behind embrasures a space apart from each other (dude, empty space, dude) seemed to have them taking hits more regularly than if I alternated walls and embrasures and stood them behind the walls. Is this actually the case or was I merely fooling myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Select an attacker and hover over one of your pawns in cover, it will give you detailed stats for their hit probability. But yes, generally walls help, because you get the cover from peeking out from the wall as well as the cover from being behind the partial cover.