Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

multijoe posted:

Now I just have a single survivor left with several years worth of food, an entire arsenal and a menagerie of animals that keep wandering in

If you have the MAI mod and enough resources, and someone with crafting 8, you can Assemble your own colonists. With less expensive materials their learning speed will be slow. Alternatively you can buy new colonists.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
if you want to keep the save going I'd grab what you can and bug out. The next raid is going to be brutal with all the wealth and only 1 colonist.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does anyone know how to use Anima trees effectively? I put some meditation spots near mine but my tribal villagers hardly ever meditate near it, usually choosing someplace else when they do meditate

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

QuarkJets posted:

Does anyone know how to use Anima trees effectively? I put some meditation spots near mine but my tribal villagers hardly ever meditate near it, usually choosing someplace else when they do meditate

Assign the meditation spots

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Assign the meditation spots

I did that already

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Coolguye posted:

has anyone been able to come up with a good argument for making beer? even as a trade good it just seems like a giant waste of effort. grow tons of corn for the bulk traders and cocaine for the combat traders. then just do art if you want a luxury good for the exotic traders.

the rigamarole with hops to wort to beer is just such a pain and requires so much infrastructure.

I keep 4 hops plants in the medical research lab next to 2 barrels and the brewing bench. When I want to recruit a prisoner I force feed them beer, smokeleaf, ambrosia and psychoid tea which sends their mood through the roof and makes them easier to recruit.

Visiting nobles are also given this combination to consume 4 times a day on top of a joywire so they're always happy.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

QuarkJets posted:

Add meditation time to the schedule of your (tribal) pawns to make them meditate. Otherwise they will only do it as one of their recreation options or if they need to regain psyfocus which obviously they won't until they can psycast.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Playing with the hygiene mod has given me a new ambition: some day, my colony will be so wealthy that every plumbing fixture will be made of gold. Even the pipes? Especially the pipes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FYI, don't send any colonists with diseases off on one of those "faction leader requests workers" quests thinking that they'll treat them. They won't and you'll get a dead body back.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Playing with the hygiene mod has given me a new ambition: some day, my colony will be so wealthy that every plumbing fixture will be made of gold. Even the pipes? Especially the pipes.

I use Gemstones mod, and after recently securing some additional space and setting up a new defensive line, I'll be expanding out my guest area/recreation area, and I'm trying to decide what to make the pool out of.

I was originally thinking silver, but from a couple meteorite events, I might have enough garnet or lapis lazuli to make the entire pool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rimworld 1.2 is out, and it's on a 10% sale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvMWicpizU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Give me the tldr version. What's new and good?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Katt posted:

Give me the tldr version. What's new and good?

Still watching so incomplete but

Royalty: getting royalty rank is no longer automatic, a dude has to come and perform a ceremony to give you the rank
Psychic powers: reworked again, now it has stuff like "water crops" or "stop a psychotic break" and other cool powers
New weapons/armor/quests/etc: jump packs, a way to teleport across the world if you have a colonist there already
New disease/pawn join event
New custom playstyle difficulty sliders when making a new game. Like you can make the storyteller ignore wealth.

etc etc

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 10, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wow, that's a lot of neat new stuff. How long should I wait for mods to be updated?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lmaooooo Tynan, on why he included the "chance of insta-kill" in combat and such, as he's talking about the tweaks for the custom settings:

"if no one ever died in Game of Thrones it would be a weaker show. People who are looking for a more game-like experience [...] lets you tweak and influence how much that's gonna happen."

e: full changelog

https://ludeon.com/blog/2020/08/1-2-update-with-new-quests-psycasts-gear-and-more/

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've never received a quest while playing on my most recent colony, is there anything I need to do other than have a working com station?

I'm playing on randy with a whole slew of mods, so I know both of those mean there could be a million reasons I'm not getting quests but this still feels very weird.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You don't even need a comm station to get a quest, you just need those to talk to trade ships or call for help. You should be getting quests from the get-go, at random. Unless you've just whiffed a ton of random chances, it's probably a mod thing.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there still an early guaranteed sort of introduction to the empire quest? I’m like 6 days in to a colony and also haven’t received any quests, and am also worried about sorting through all my mods lol

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
While browsing for new mods I think I've randomly found the problem, apparently the Elder Things mod causes some sort of repeating error with story tellers where they stop doing a lot of stuff.

I don't have the royalty dlc, so I'm not expecting those quests, just normal "Go here do thing get reward" quests.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Moon Slayer posted:

Wow, that's a lot of neat new stuff. How long should I wait for mods to be updated?

Lots are already updated and I don't think there were a lot of breaking changes this version. I was playing on the unstable 1.2 branch this weekend using a bunch of 1.1 mods and the only one that definitely didn't work was Android Tiers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Moon Slayer posted:

Rimworld modders are pretty good in general with keeping stuff updated, and it's rarely difficult to change things for a new version. Pretty much everything that is still supported will likwly be updated in a few days.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gotta say, this is pretty good update. I'm liking everything I'm seeing there. All the stuff added with Royalty is slowly getting turned into core Rimworld features instead of being bunch of unconnected gimmicks, which is exactly what was needed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

StrixNebulosa posted:

lmaooooo Tynan, on why he included the "chance of insta-kill" in combat and such, as he's talking about the tweaks for the custom settings:

"if no one ever died in Game of Thrones it would be a weaker show. People who are looking for a more game-like experience [...] lets you tweak and influence how much that's gonna happen."

https://ludeon.com/blog/2020/08/1-2-update-with-new-quests-psycasts-gear-and-more/

i've always fundamentally accepted this explanation, i get it, but man am i looking forward to turning that off. i leave a lot of 'survivors' to bleed out into the sand as it stands anyway, as they are not worth keeping around long term.

e: oh wait this is talking about the chance for any incoming fire to just instantly kill one of YOUR boys, yeah that poo poo is some garbage

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do not care for losing dudes at all. I understand it should happen but it shouldn't just happen abruptly and you can't do anything about it in my opinion. Like when I get a plague on day 2 or something and lose someone. Like, gently caress.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm fine with losing dudes if the preparations you have taken are incomplete or flawed, which they frequently are in rimworld. but when everyone has devilstrand hats and is firing from cover and a shortbow instant-destroys the brain you can kiss the skinniest part of my rear end. at least do me the honor of having it be a charge cannon or something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

This actually does the opposite of what it sounds like; normally colonists can be instantly killed by various circumstances, such as a lucky bullet to the brain, but this new option lets you limit those outcomes so that normally lethal hits just down the colonist. The colonist can still bleed out but isn't killed by an arbitrary lucky shot. He feels like it's better to leave this option off, but it's exposed now for people who want to limit sudden fatality chance

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

This actually does the opposite of what it sounds like; normally colonists can be instantly killed by various circumstances, such as a lucky bullet to the brain, but this new option lets you limit those outcomes so that normally lethal hits just down the colonist. The colonist can still bleed out but isn't killed by an arbitrary lucky shot. He feels like it's better to leave this option off, but it's exposed now for people who want to limit sudden fatality chance

Wouldn't that lucky bullet have to also do enough damage to destroy the brain too? It's not a coin flip for death.

My colonist have taken many bad headshots over a 50 year game but if the brain still has health left they just end up severely disabled but still alive. No one ever instantly died from a lucky shot.

A naked colonist once died from a lucky plasma sword to the neck but they were supposed to.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Katt posted:

Wouldn't that lucky bullet have to also do enough damage to destroy the brain too? It's not a coin flip for death.

My colonist have taken many bad headshots over a 50 year game but if the brain still has health left they just end up severely disabled but still alive. No one ever instantly died from a lucky shot.

A naked colonist once died from a lucky plasma sword to the neck but they were supposed to.

That's right, and this new option isn't causing anyone to instantly die who otherwise would have survived in 1.1. According to Tynan's 1.2 video, if your colonist would have been killed instantly by a big hit, this new option will sometimes cause incoming damage to be reduced enough for the pawn to survive. So if you had the option cranked to 100%, that lucky plasma sword hit would have downed the colonist instead of killing them. It's actually called "Colonist instant-kill prevention" in the UI; it reduces the likelihood of sudden death, it doesn't increase it.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Katt posted:

I had a colonist's head blown clean off with a single shot from a mech pikeman. Perfectly healthy, wearing a marine helmet one moment, headless the next.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Katt posted:

With the option from 1.2, that colonist would have x% chance to survive with 1 neck hp, where the x would be what you set in the slider. It's a good feature.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Yeah, watching the video for answers is definitely important. The insta-kill feature is clearly a new setting that lets you set a chance for your colonists to not die on a immediately lethal hit. It's literally either "game as it exists pre-patch" or "you can set a chance for your colonists not to die instantly". Even better it's part of a package that let's you edit your storyteller at the start of the game so you can turn off events you don't like, turn up those you do like, and even set the ramp scale for the game (or even turn it off and use a non-wealth based calculation).

Also some really nice new psy powers, including one which lets you jump a team anywhere in the world so long as you've got another colonist there. You can send Jimmy the useless to a raid on his own and when he shows up teleport your caster and death squad to him instantly, murderize everybody, and be back in the colony in time for dinner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the extra customization options seem like a great addition, basically an expansion of the scenario system that already lets you modify a whole lot of stuff.

Also really looking forward to seeing what mods do with the gear system.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Definitely gonna be using that pawn instant kill option. Sending a sniper out to pop a few raiders just for a longbow arrow to pierce through their flak jacket and into their heart is tiresome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i think a lot of my confusion on it stems from the armor rework making armor a bit poo poo

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
And here I am happy with the ability to finally get rid of food poisoning forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So from reading the notes do raiders not drop gear or something any more? And instead have specific rewards in their inventories? If so that would be really nice actually, because I already use mods to stop them dropping gear.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Carcer posted:

While browsing for new mods I think I've randomly found the problem, apparently the Elder Things mod causes some sort of repeating error with story tellers where they stop doing a lot of stuff.

I don't have the royalty dlc, so I'm not expecting those quests, just normal "Go here do thing get reward" quests.

Quoting myself to confirm it was the Elder Things mod, for anyone else that isn't getting any quests and has it installed.

Can anyone recommend any good alien races? I can't find much on the steam workshop but I think I'm just crap at using the right search terms.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Carcer posted:

Quoting myself to confirm it was the Elder Things mod, for anyone else that isn't getting any quests and has it installed.

Can anyone recommend any good alien races? I can't find much on the steam workshop but I think I'm just crap at using the right search terms.

What are you looking for in a good alien race?

I've had good experience with the following ones

Android Tiers
Gerzee
Xenohumans
Skaven
Fallout Ghouls
40k Tribal Orkoids
Rockmen race
Kenshi Hivers
Kenshi Shek
Tribal Fungi

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Carcer posted:

Ones I've used:
Android Tiers gives a bunch of different androids, let's you upload minds to androids, etc
Revia are murderous foxgirls who can sacrifice corpses to gain power. Adds some new melee weapons.
Ferrex are ferret business people. Adds guns and I think business suits
Springhares are rabbit people. Fast but weak, and can have a special condition that makes them better at social but worse at learning
Star Wars Races adds Wookie, Rodian, Twi'lek, Ewok, and Togrutas
Lighter than Fast adds the FTL races. Standalone versions with more updates are also available at that link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The base in that video makes all of mine look like poo poo lol

ugh getting so many errors on start up that I assume is due to mod load order but I'm struggling to figure it out.

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 11, 2020