Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I got one of these "host a guy for a while, if he's happy you get bonus relations" quests, but then his wife raided us. Of course she gets popped in the head immediately upon getting in range. Guess I'm not getting that bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Most of my pawns have a litany of daughters, ex lovers, parents, great aunts, great grandparents, you name it, all killed when they raided us. Good thing they don't mind them getting processed into protein mash and genetic slurry.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One of my more successful colonies had one of its early... recruits, from an enemy faction and jesus christ every raid from that faction had a family member of hers. Her relationship tab was covered in deceased family members before it finally showed people from the colony she lived in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Is this also why my rear end in a top hat colonists always eat the pemmican I am making for a business trip, instead of the simple meals which I have more than 100 in the freezer? So that they can carry more stuff and go on longer before their next meal?

If you don't want them eating pemmican or packaged meals you can forbid it; forbidden things can still be taken on a caravan, and then it'll be eaten in the field. Or you can put the pemmican somewhere that's more difficult to reach than your simple meals

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Can you edit meals as in-depth as drugs, or is it just "paste, simple, fine, lavish"?

Also how do you guys set up prisons? I was wondering if it's possible to have a big prison and also limit the size of escape attempts. A big one barracks prison lets me set a paste dispenser and dramatically reduce warden duties but gets the all in one breakout. Individual cells seem to prevent all movement past the cell door. I'm currently thinking of 2-4 divided barracks, which raises the power use on the paste dispensers but I've reached component making and am next to a river.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I set up individual rooms, eventually with fine tile, each with a small table and chair. Mood influences recruitment so prisoners get the same good stuff as everyone else, eventually

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I use some of the 'extra' between-rooms space which inevitably results from colony growth, and turn it into a 3-4 bed prison barracks, starting as spots on the bare dirt lit and climate controlled by a single torch, eventually being upgraded to smoothed/stone tile floors with decent beds, table and chairs, electric lighting and HVAC, at least one sculpture, and eventually a tube TV.

Spare bedrooms get earmarked as overflow for either the hospital or the jail, depending on the scenario.

Semi-related, Power Word: Love is loving fantastic for voluntelling pawns to pair off, in order to save on bedroom real estate. Wowza!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Everyone is recruited eventually. Just lop their legs off and stick them in a 4x4 room with a bed.

I once had an arctic base were the prisoners were kept naked in little "polyps" on the outside armored walls of the main hub. The heating radiated from the inside and all doors faced outside into -30 degree cold.

Anyone who broke out got to about the first perimeter before collapsing from hypothermia.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

Semi-related, Power Word: Love is loving fantastic for voluntelling pawns to pair off, in order to save on bedroom real estate. Wowza!

Being able to create relationships on demand is insanely strong. A couple essentially permanent mood boosts plus a shared bedroom, and the chance of a wedding which is basically a super party. I'm doing a gimmick run right now where I started with a tribe of pawns who all had the Beautiful trait, and I'm doing plastic surgery from a mod so that all my recruits will be made beautiful too in time. I'm going for a B movie jungle sex cult vibe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Recruitment resistance reduction is also dependent on mood, so you may be wasting a lot of additional time talking to and feeding legless prisoners chained up in closets

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

LonsomeSon posted:

I use some of the 'extra' between-rooms space which inevitably results from colony growth, and turn it into a 3-4 bed prison barracks, starting as spots on the bare dirt lit and climate controlled by a single torch, eventually being upgraded to smoothed/stone tile floors with decent beds, table and chairs, electric lighting and HVAC, at least one sculpture, and eventually a tube TV.

In the vanilla game, prisoners don't actually have a recreation bar so the tube TV isn't needed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the vanilla (well, including Royalty) game, pawns do get a major mood boost for "recreation needs completely satisfied".

e: In my current save, I inadvertently picked a mountainous boreal tile with river; I usually go with hills. It's interesting to see how I have to play to make the most of the arable land. Sadly, both my good miners got killed early on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Usually I have a strong counter battery in place to blow up the sieging raiders but just prior to this, I learned that a single tile roof over your mortar shell crate doesn't offer the protection against lightning that I thought it did and an errant strike deleted it along with most of my mortars from the resulting explosion.
i do everything in my power to set up my ammo magazine in overhead mountain for this reason. the magazine can go for the stupidest reasons and when it does, only a mountain will contain it.

bonus, if an infestation pops up there you just throw a molotov in

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Katt posted:

Everyone is recruited eventually. Just lop their legs off and stick them in a 4x4 room with a bed.

I once had an arctic base were the prisoners were kept naked in little "polyps" on the outside armored walls of the main hub. The heating radiated from the inside and all doors faced outside into -30 degree cold.

Anyone who broke out got to about the first perimeter before collapsing from hypothermia.

I love this one, I'm in an arid shrubland biome so maybe I can set up an overheated entrance somehow. I want to do long term holding for tribute collector/slaves/cannibal farming or w/e. I'm definitely capping my recruitments though, I went for a super huge base last time and my frame rate started to sink around 30+ colonists and I wasn't in the mood to do another exhaustive mod trimming.

Something I did find amazing is to have some redundant cryptosleep caskets, you can save emptied ones from ancient danger or just make them. Freezing a bunch of downed raiders and sorting out, healing, evaluating and processing prisoners 1 by 1 seems much less frantic than doing them all at once, as well as keeping base duties from falling behind. I feel like I must have missed a patch change since Vanilla 1.0, my first Vanilla flight to space took forever because I remember it was 10 components to craft 1 advanced? Now it seems to be 1 component with plasteel and gold and high crafting needed to fancy it up. Maybe a mod changed it(Save Our Ships?) but what a welcome change compared to having 2 people working fabrication benches and devouring all the steel 24/7.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

i do everything in my power to set up my ammo magazine in overhead mountain for this reason. the magazine can go for the stupidest reasons and when it does, only a mountain will contain it.

bonus, if an infestation pops up there you just throw a molotov in

It helps if you avoid making way more shells than you're gonna need, and store them in a granite or uranium shelf (if it fills more than one shelf, separate them with walls to prevent chain-detonation) and buried deep enough under mountain coverage that an unlucky incoming mortar doesn't set off the stockpile.

Also antigrain warheads are for comedy purposes only. Like pod-dropping a single nuke into an incoming raid or a siege camp, along with a boomalope to trigger it. Generally pointless/inefficient but really funny when you can make it work.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I love antigrains for mech clusters with those artillery shields. Stagger two mortars, 1 with EMP and 1 with antigrain, and you stand a much better chance of popping that shield when it’s offline than with standard HE rounds.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I got one of these "host a guy for a while, if he's happy you get bonus relations" quests, but then his wife raided us. Of course she gets popped in the head immediately upon getting in range. Guess I'm not getting that bonus.

Just cram joywire in him and stuff him full of all the drugs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Just cram joywire in him and stuff him full of all the drugs.

The colony just graduated from pit latrines to indoor plumbing, joywires are a long ways off.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Even more drugs then.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If your guests don't leave addicted to 3 different substances then you've not provided them the Fully Functional Rimworld experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm playing with rim industry and this actually kinda owns. I set up a drone cultivator which will automatically clear out, sow and harvest the crops. Then I set up a growzone puller which pulls every crop that is in the connecting grow zone and output it onto a conveyor which connects to a wall conveyor into the kitchen. There is a puller that will grab stuff off the rollers and into a nearby stockpile that is in the radius for the automated kitchen which spits out the completed meal. Nearby I got a corpse zone set around a shredder that'll butcher the bodies for me and feeds it into the kitchen unit. Its everything I wanted factorio to be.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 17, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I have to say that I'm disappointed that those modded catapults can't throw anti-grain rounds

Sort of like a land version of a spar torpedo!

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Leal posted:

One of my more successful colonies had one of its early... recruits, from an enemy faction and jesus christ every raid from that faction had a family member of hers. Her relationship tab was covered in deceased family members before it finally showed people from the colony she lived in.

Shame she was not a cannibal, the clothing from the family members would have been a good boost to morale. "here is my moccasins, its from granny" "oh, she made em?" "No, its made from granny's skin"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you need to leave pillars in rooms when you're carving them out of rock? Do ceilings collapse if you mine out too much without props?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yes to both but you have to go really wild on open spaces to trigger it, a single pillar will hold up within 5-6 of it and I think shows the outline by default now. You'll always be fine if you mine in 3-5 wide tunnels. If you want a wide open square room because mountain base then start using pillars.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I believe the standard is that roofs collapse if they are six tiles or more away from the nearest support, so a 10x10 open space has sufficient load-bearingness for its entire ceiling, but an 11x11 open space will require a pillar or wall tile literally anywhere in its area in order to prevent the central tile from collapsing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is that true for non-cave structures?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

According to the wiki a roof can extend up to 6 tiles from a wall, so roofed interior rooms have a maximum size of 12 empty cells

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

silentsnack posted:

It helps if you avoid making way more shells than you're gonna need, and store them in a granite or uranium shelf (if it fills more than one shelf, separate them with walls to prevent chain-detonation) and buried deep enough under mountain coverage that an unlucky incoming mortar doesn't set off the stockpile.

Also antigrain warheads are for comedy purposes only. Like pod-dropping a single nuke into an incoming raid or a siege camp, along with a boomalope to trigger it. Generally pointless/inefficient but really funny when you can make it work.

Any changes to pod mechanics? I remember easy way to trade using them, throw a colonist to the settlement you want to trade with, form caravan, then onto that caravan send pods with massive amounts of trade stuff, caravan cant move till you sell it all tho, but can trade

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

According to the wiki a roof can extend up to 6 tiles from a wall, so roofed interior rooms have a maximum size of 12 empty cells

I'm not sure if I'm wrong by one tile, or if there are different rules for Overhead Mountain roofs, now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Any reason why my colonists would refuse to interact with tainted gear? I've got standing orders to smelt tainted gear of any quality or hit points, and also standing orders to incinerate them, but I'm drowning in the stuff and if I pick a colonist and right-click either the smelter or crematorium, I'm told "Cannot smelt/cremate apparel: Not enough material."

The only thing that works is making an outside dumping area, marking it for tainted gear, and just hauling each piece out one at a time to deteriorate outdoors. It's not super great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what specifically is the gear

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i use 11x11 rooms as my basic building block for literally everything and i can confirm that i require a pillar in the direct center to make sure i can fully roof a room. not sure what the wiki is on about but i presume it's a different way of counting or something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Any reason why my colonists would refuse to interact with tainted gear? I've got standing orders to smelt tainted gear of any quality or hit points, and also standing orders to incinerate them, but I'm drowning in the stuff and if I pick a colonist and right-click either the smelter or crematorium, I'm told "Cannot smelt/cremate apparel: Not enough material."

The only thing that works is making an outside dumping area, marking it for tainted gear, and just hauling each piece out one at a time to deteriorate outdoors. It's not super great.

Recheck your smelting rules, make sure you're not combining quality restrictions or anything like that. Mayne snap a screenshot and post it to see if anyone spots an issue

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just had a person throw a tantrum and literally destroy a horse. As in the horse was already dead, and the pawn punched the dead horse until it was obliterated from existence

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I used 11x11 and 12x12 rooms in my current base without supports so that's easy to confirm experimentally. 13x13 or more and things start collapsing though.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I think some folks are counting the walls for their room sizes which is leading to the confusion.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I just had a person throw a tantrum and literally destroy a horse. As in the horse was already dead, and the pawn punched the dead horse until it was obliterated from existence

Post sayings that came into existence in your rim experiences. Beating the dead horse - check. Pigs fly next?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

QuarkJets posted:

Recheck your smelting rules, make sure you're not combining quality restrictions or anything like that. Mayne snap a screenshot and post it to see if anyone spots an issue
Sure!

The smelter bills. You can say I have three jobs for apparel.

Job 1: Get rid of tattered gear.

Job 2: Get rid of the mistakes.

Job 3: Get rid of anything tainted.

And just for good measure, the "burn anything tainted" job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Is there a way to force your handlers to feed/treat animals? I had animals die of starvation when there was meat available, and the handlers wouldn't even feed them.

e: Whoa, you can smelt apparel? Awesome. Is that an extension?